AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules to ensure post quality. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: RIP Internet Explorer  (Read 6625 times)

NWI_Irish96

• Formerly cabiness42

• Last Login: Today at 02:35:25 PM
Re: RIP Internet Explorer
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2022, 10:38:59 PM »

Also, with the death of Internet Explorer, Microsoft has made it so Edge is automatically running in the background on startup. You have to disable it from the startup items.

It took a half-hour to restart my computer because of this.

I haven't bothered to upgrade either of my computers to Windows 11 because of the horror stories I've heard from those trying to use browsers other than Edge with 11. I've tried Edge and I think it's crap.

I upgraded to Win 11 and use Firefox and haven't had any problems.

ZLoth

• ImaTech!

• Last Login: Today at 04:24:34 PM
    • List of links
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2022, 03:58:08 AM »

The web was a different place in 2007-2009 when I learned a little bit of web development. Back then, I discovered I had fewer headaches if I did the initial development on Firefox (and the better free web development tools) which meant it should also be compatible with most of the non-Microsoft browsers, then adapt it to work with the Internet Explorer browsers including the bastard child Internet Explorer 6. After destroying Netscape Navigator, it had 95% of the browser market share, and Microsoft essentially stopped innovating that browser.

As for Microsoft Edge, it was initially built with Microsoft's own proprietary browser engine EdgeHTML and their Chakra JavaScript engine, but at the beginning of 2021, Microsoft switched to the Chromium-based enginer and the V8 JavaScript engine, much like Chrome, but with different bits added. Originally, Opera was also using the Presto engine, but around 2013, switched to the Chromium engine as well. And, with the rapid release model (along with Long Term Support versions), innovation comes more rapidly than the release schedules of the late 2000s.

Part of the challenge is in the IT world. I've seen too many instances where the decisions were based around the ideas that "IT is a business cost that must be minimized" and it's corollaries "it's still works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "why pay for something this fiscal year when it can be pushed to next year's budget", and the ever-so-popular "if our sales people are in the classroom learning new process, they aren't in the field making money for the company". In some cases, there isn't a good replacement for that key piece of technology that is keeps the company running, and yet it's a discontinued product if not the vendor no longer existing.

I agree that Microsoft should tone it down when it comes to pushing the Microsoft Edge browser. At work, I use Firefox for work-related items while Chrome is for personal-related items. The plug-in support is better in Chrome and Firefox than in Edge. Having said that, it's still better than Apple's line of iToys and the lockdown on the Webkit-based engine on their mobile devices. Isn't this the same type of practice that Apple condemned Microsoft of doing 20 years ago?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2022, 01:27:14 PM by ZLoth »
Hard to believe, but years from now, someone will look back at the early 2020s and refer to them as the "Good Old Days".

vdeane

• Last Login: Today at 01:38:08 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2022, 01:07:11 PM »

And, with the rapid release model (along with Long Term Support versions), innovation comes more rapidly than the release schedules of the late 200s.
Yeah, I don't think there was very much browser innovation during the days of the Roman Empire.  :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ZLoth

• ImaTech!

• List of links
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2022, 01:28:12 PM »

And, with the rapid release model (along with Long Term Support versions), innovation comes more rapidly than the release schedules of the late 200s.
Yeah, I don't think there was very much browser innovation during the days of the Roman Empire.  :D

Plus, the response latency was much higher. (Yes, I just fixed it).
Hard to believe, but years from now, someone will look back at the early 2020s and refer to them as the "Good Old Days".

bing101

• Last Login: Today at 09:55:24 AM
« Reply #79 on: June 25, 2022, 01:25:34 AM »

I have not seen Internet Explorer since the time Geocities were the trendy thing in the 2000's.

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: Today at 10:53:32 AM
« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2022, 01:05:04 PM »

I have not seen Internet Explorer since the time Geocities were the trendy thing in the 2000's.

Trendy thing in the 2000s, besides Geocites, let's also mention Hotmail, Mapquest, AOL, Prodigy, ICQ, Infoseek, Excite,... ;)

US 89

• 189 to Evanston

• Last Login: Today at 09:48:29 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2022, 02:36:23 PM »

I miss the days of printing out Mapquest directions before you went somewhere new.

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: Today at 10:53:32 AM
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2022, 09:35:41 PM »

I miss the days of printing out Mapquest directions before you went somewhere new.

Yeah, along with Yahoo maps! But I wonder if some also miss RealAudio/RealVideo, QuickTime, Napster, MySpace as well?

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 01:40:11 PM
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2022, 09:24:39 AM »

My daughter's school-supplied Chromebook actually blocks Google Maps (go figure) when on their school Wi-Fi. I told her to check out Mapquest; sure enough, it wasn't restricted.

"Welcome to 1999!", I proclaimed.

ZLoth

• ImaTech!

• List of links
« Reply #84 on: June 27, 2022, 09:32:05 AM »

My daughter's school-supplied Chromebook actually blocks Google Maps (go figure) when on their school Wi-Fi. I told her to check out Mapquest; sure enough, it wasn't restricted.

Ahhh.... memories of Mapblast. Is Bing Maps or Open Street Map allowed?

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: Today at 02:10:56 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #85 on: June 27, 2022, 01:03:20 PM »

I used to be loyal to IE before finally giving in to the Chrome craze.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 01:40:11 PM
« Reply #86 on: June 27, 2022, 02:14:34 PM »

Ahhh.... memories of Mapblast. Is Bing Maps or Open Street Map allowed?

I'll find out in case they block Mapquest...

Brandon

• Stop making sense

• Last Login: Today at 07:37:11 AM
« Reply #87 on: June 27, 2022, 02:36:19 PM »

There’s really only one thing to say about the demise of IE…

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: Today at 04:30:20 PM
« Reply #88 on: June 27, 2022, 03:25:40 PM »

It isn't gone.  I'm using it right now.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: Today at 12:43:11 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2022, 02:06:53 PM »

But they have likely quit updating it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 04:25:52 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2022, 02:15:53 PM »

But they have likely quit updating it.

I still use it at work.  That said, whenever I use email my browser now forces me to the jankier version of Outlook found in Edge. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.