AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Road World Mandela Effect Examples  (Read 14523 times)

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:33:58 AM
    • Gribblenation
Re: Road World Mandela Effect Examples
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2021, 12:27:07 PM »

^ I just learned this too. But yes, apparently, according to state law, US-101 does not legally cross the bridge.

Under the California Streets and Highways Code § 401, the Golden Gate Bridge is legally not part of US 101. The portion of US 101 starting from Los Angeles ends at "the approach to the Golden Gate Bridge" and then resumes at "a point in Marin County opposite San Francisco" to the Oregon state line. The bridge itself is maintained by the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District instead of Caltrans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_101_in_California

Yes, the legislative description of 101 and 1 do not include the Golden Gate Bridge since it is not a state maintained structure.  I believe the AASHTO has the Golden Gate Bridge in it’s Route definition of US 101 (easily verified on the AASHO database I suspect) which would mean it is not a gap in the highway.  CA 1 has signage directing traffic towards the Golden Gate Bridge and even some multiplexed shields with US 101 on both sides of the structure.
Yeah, I was wondering if AASHTO had a definition.  I'd consider that as overriding as CA's definition seems to just determine maintenance of the facility.

I also take the Legislative Route Descriptions with a grain of salt.  Those just exist to show what Caltrans actually maintains and doesn’t fully reflect what is field signed nor what the AASHTO has in their route definition.  As an example; recent phenomenon of State Highways being synonymous with state maintenance in California is not historically a thing.  Several current CTC relinquishment agreements even call for State Highways to continue to be signed by local authorities (whether or not this happens is another story).  The Division of Highways nor the state couldn’t even maintain highway mileage in cities until 1933 which greatly affected early US Routes.  I suspect the answer pertaining to the Golden Gate Bridge lies in 1930s documents in the AASHO database given California was so diligent back then in seeking approval for US Route realignments. 

ethanhopkin14

• Last Login: November 20, 2023, 08:50:23 AM
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2021, 12:28:39 PM »

A widely believed one, mostly outside the road community, is the belief that one mile out of every five miles of Interstate must be perfectly straight to allow planes to land. (Nobody who espouses this belief stops to consider that this would make constructing an Interstate in places like West Virginia borderline impossible.)

Are these the Mandela Effect or an Urban Legend gone way out of control?  Legitimately asking.  Are they the same thing?

I mean the Mandela Effect is basically everyone having a memory that is off what actually happened because the retelling of the story, albeit wrong, becomes more popular than the actual event.  The same can be said about an Urban Legend. 

Makes me think.....

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:00:22 PM
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2021, 12:36:43 PM »

One I've found that's Colorado-related.  A lot of people think Pike's Peak is the highest point in Colorado, if not the U.S.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2021, 12:43:15 PM »

One I've found that's Colorado-related.  A lot of people think Pike's Peak is the highest point in Colorado, if not the U.S.

Chris

Still a tougher road than CO 5 up to Mount Evans, even before it was paved.  Similarly people seem to thing the Tioga Road is the highest in California when the paved Horseshoe Meadows Road (old CA 190) and Rock Creek Road surpass it.  White Mountain Road blows them all out of the water but isn’t paved nor normally public accessible as a road to the summit.  I would attribute stuff like to people just not searching into a topic very deeply.

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:00:22 PM
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2021, 12:48:28 PM »

Chris

Still a tougher road than CO 5 up to Mount Evans, even before it was paved.  Similarly people seem to thing the Tioga Road is the highest in California when the paved Horseshoe Meadows Road (old CA 190) and Rock Creek Road surpass it.  White Mountain Road blows them all out of the water but isn’t paved nor normally public accessible as a road to the summit.  I would attribute stuff like to people just not searching into a topic very deeply.

Never driven the Pikes Peak Road; only climbed the mountain on foot.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2021, 12:54:57 PM »

Chris

Never driven the Pikes Peak Road; only climbed the mountain on foot.

Chris

I did Pikes twice; when it was dirt and when it was paved.  I thought it was easier when it was dirt given that it chased a lot of tourists away and you didn’t pick up speed on the descent as fast.  Evans is more of a gradual climb than Pikes and starts out at a way higher elevation.  Neither is particularly difficult for a skilled driver who knows who to manage their braking and knows how to shift.  I’ve driven numerous paved roads which were way more difficult than Pikes and Evans.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2021, 12:58:36 PM »

A widely believed one, mostly outside the road community, is the belief that one mile out of every five miles of Interstate must be perfectly straight to allow planes to land. (Nobody who espouses this belief stops to consider that this would make constructing an Interstate in places like West Virginia borderline impossible.)

Are these the Mandela Effect or an Urban Legend gone way out of control?  Legitimately asking.  Are they the same thing?

I mean the Mandela Effect is basically everyone having a memory that is off what actually happened because the retelling of the story, albeit wrong, becomes more popular than the actual event.  The same can be said about an Urban Legend. 

Makes me think.....

It was a proposal at one point, so not entirely an urban legend.  Unfortunately, whoever discovered the proposal didn't understand it was a proposal, and this was something which people ran with, including in the road community (which means they really don't pay attention to the highways they drive to understand how it can't be legit).

formulanone

• latest clinch

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:14:36 PM
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2021, 05:33:30 PM »

Makes me think.....

According to the creator of the concept "Mandela Efffect", it's how an individual latches onto a distorted version of reality. It seems to now be caught up with misspellings of product names, a bunch of who-gives-a-crap for everyone other than marketers.

True to form, the concept has been a little distorted; sometimes we just logically fill in the potholes of our knowledge, other times, we accept information that's slightly incorrect (spelling of things), outdated (technological/archaeological advancement), distorted by your circles (if your friends and family believe something you tend to accept it), artistic license (Hollywood and TV distort perception and facts), or sometimes even patent nonsense (info you probably picked up when you were a child or very new to a subject).

That a handful of people believe something that isn't correct isn't really the Mandela Effect; it's just wrong information because of the small sample size. I think most of these are not really Mandela Effect (I'm not big on the idea, frankly).

The Interstate Highway must be straight every five miles...blah-blah-blah is more of an urban legend, probably the best known and most specific to this hobby. But many others listed here are just specific bits or trivial bits of information outside of this hobby.

Interstate Highway funding is misunderstood because...well, who was explaining that to the masses in the first place? Anyone outside of DOT circles? So there's going to be a major disconnect between the public at large and the typical motorist. After all, the typical assumption is that any public good or service comes from The Government, and that's all need to worry about until you need to complain about a pothole. Few are going to dig deep and figure that one out on their own.

Whether the Golden Gate Bridge isn't part of US 101 isn't really a mysterious Mandela Effect; example because there's dozens of signs and thousands of printed maps saying so. But nothing stating otherwise, at least not in a straightforward and easily-digestible way. So it's not a conspiracy, just a matter of convenience. (Still an interesting fact; one of those I'd forgotten about.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 05:36:52 PM by formulanone »

ethanhopkin14

• Last Login: November 20, 2023, 08:50:23 AM
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2021, 05:44:35 PM »

Makes me think.....

According to the creator of the concept "Mandela Efffect", it's how an individual latches onto a distorted version of reality. It seems to now be caught up with misspellings of product names, a bunch of who-gives-a-crap for everyone other than marketers.

True to form, the concept has been a little distorted; sometimes we just logically fill in the potholes of our knowledge, other times, we accept information that's slightly incorrect (spelling of things), outdated (technological/archaeological advancement), distorted by your circles (if your friends and family believe something you tend to accept it), artistic license (Hollywood and TV distort perception and facts), or sometimes even patent nonsense (info you probably picked up when you were a child or very new to a subject).

That a handful of people believe something that isn't correct isn't really the Mandela Effect; it's just wrong information because of the small sample size. I think most of these are not really Mandela Effect (I'm not big on the idea, frankly).

The Interstate Highway must be straight every five miles...blah-blah-blah is more of an urban legend, probably the best known and most specific to this hobby. But many others listed here are just specific bits or trivial bits of information outside of this hobby.

Interstate Highway funding is misunderstood because...well, who was explaining that to the masses in the first place? Anyone outside of DOT circles? So there's going to be a major disconnect between the public at large and the typical motorist. After all, the typical assumption is that any public good or service comes from The Government, and that's all need to worry about until you need to complain about a pothole. Few are going to dig deep and figure that one out on their own.

Whether the Golden Gate Bridge isn't part of US 101 isn't really a mysterious Mandela Effect; example because there's dozens of signs and thousands of printed maps saying so. But nothing stating otherwise, at least not in a straightforward and easily-digestible way. So it's not a conspiracy, just a matter of convenience. (Still an interesting fact; one of those I'd forgotten about.)

I forgot about that until you brought it up, some people seriously think the Mandela Effect is a conspiracy, that we are in a simulation.  They think it was one way, then changed.  They don't look at the most obvious reason, that you remembered it wrong, or the information was wrong to begin with, or your mind plays tricks on you so you will think you were always doing the right thing (I wasn't robing the register, I was just asking the clerk for directions with all the money from the till in my hand and a gun pointed at his head).  It's how even the most guilty person in the world convinces themselves they didn't do it, because your brain believes, not what it wants to believe, but what you allow it to believe. 

To me that's very simple, but to some people they think their memories are gospel. 

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2021, 05:48:37 PM »

I take it you don’t remember growing up in the Bernstein Bears universe only to find one day that you somehow crossed over to the Berenstain Bears universe?

MCRoads

• Only 9,000 posts to go until I win the forum!

• Last Login: March 04, 2024, 03:43:12 PM
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2021, 06:52:39 PM »

I take it you don’t remember growing up in the Bernstein Bears universe only to find one day that you somehow crossed over to the Berenstain Bears universe?

Thanks for reminding me if that movie. I regret ever watching that movie. Pardon me while I have another existential crisis…
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
 4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2021, 08:28:29 PM »

Thanks for reminding me if that movie. I regret ever watching that movie. Pardon me while I have another existential crisis…

Wait, there was a movie?…I don’t remember that.  More proof of the multiverse?

Quillz

• A Talking Pokémon

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 10:13:27 PM
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2021, 01:53:39 AM »

The Chicago Skyway is not actually part of I-90.
Would that be the case with the US routes "through" Yellowstone too? Asking it because I saw some posts here stating that US 20 is discontinuous because of Yellowstone.
Yes, as generally the NPS maintains highways through national parks. In California, you've got CA-89 which is a continuous route, but technically does not exist through Lassen National Park. If there is signage, it's just for navigational aid. Same with CA-120 through Yosemite. What's interesting is routes like CA-198, CA-41, and CA-140 are never shown on maps to extend through the national parks, even though they do provide through connections to other routes. This is likely because the routes otherwise do not exit the national park boundaries. So US-20 follows the same logic: it's technically two non-contiguous routes, but generally assumed to be one for navigational aid.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2021, 08:32:16 AM »

The Chicago Skyway is not actually part of I-90.
Would that be the case with the US routes "through" Yellowstone too? Asking it because I saw some posts here stating that US 20 is discontinuous because of Yellowstone.
Yes, as generally the NPS maintains highways through national parks. In California, you've got CA-89 which is a continuous route, but technically does not exist through Lassen National Park. If there is signage, it's just for navigational aid. Same with CA-120 through Yosemite. What's interesting is routes like CA-198, CA-41, and CA-140 are never shown on maps to extend through the national parks, even though they do provide through connections to other routes. This is likely because the routes otherwise do not exit the national park boundaries. So US-20 follows the same logic: it's technically two non-contiguous routes, but generally assumed to be one for navigational aid.

CA 140 is signed though in Yosemite from the junction of the Big Oak Flat Road and El Portal Road west to the Park Boundary.  I suspect in the past it was signed all the way to CA 120 through the park before the new Tioga Pass Road was built.  CA 89 once had through signage in Lassen but it now disappears at the park boundaries.

bing101

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:54:25 PM
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2021, 03:08:20 PM »

I-80 supposed to go to New York City and terminate at the east end of the George Washington Bridge.
Note technically the east end of I-80 is in Teaneck, NJ.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 03:10:28 PM by bing101 »

sparker

• Last Login: April 30, 2023, 05:42:25 PM
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2021, 07:51:56 PM »

US 66 terminated at or near the Santa Monica Pier -- a myth perpetuated by the pier operators.  US 66 followed Santa Monica Blvd. west to Lincoln Blvd., then turned south several blocks on Lincoln to terminate (originally) at Alternate US 101 at the corner of Lincoln and Olympic Blvds.  Pre-Santa Monica Freeway/I-10, SB Alternate 101 continued southward on Lincoln, while NB Alternate 101 turned west on Olympic, which eventually accessed the McClure Tunnel and emerged as PCH.  Olympic Blvd. east of the intersection was originally SSR 6, but changed to SSR 26 in 1937 when US 6 was designated within CA. 

bing101

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:54:25 PM
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2021, 09:25:52 PM »

US-40 ended in Vallejo, CA prior to the Carquinez bridge.
Note in reality US-40 prior to being designated to go to Vallejo went from Fairfield to Benicia and to reach Martinez US-40 had to be a boat route prior to being resigned as CA-21 and I-680.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:34:13 PM
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2021, 05:11:32 AM »

There are examples even on this side of the pond. A well known one is that of A-129, widely believed to go East of Sariñena, and it appears as such in many maps, including Google Maps. However and as can be seen on this interactive map, A-129 actually ends at A-131 in Sariñena (on some one way streets, going East one only can reach as far as the A-230 junction; OpenStreetMap shows an alternate and at least now reflects the reality). The background map is one of those maps indicating A-129 continues beyond, but it isn't overlaid by an orange line, meaning it isn't actually part of the route. As a result there has been a war between the community and the municipalities along the way, the latter wanted the road reconstructed but the former said it was up to the villages to do so. In the end the province of Huesca has stepped up and is currently repairing the road.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2021, 05:10:44 PM »

I am a firm believer though that this was rooted in some fact, just like a game of telephone screws with things it got garbled in translation.
Such a requirement was obviously not stated in terms like x miles out of 10 or whatever, but likely showed up as a decision to make straight sections of road where possible, and that may have been disguised as an engineering guideline.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

HighwayStar

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2021, 05:12:12 PM »

Even when people find examples of a perfectly straight stretch of highway, there's often bridges, signs, trees, or other obstacles in the way.

Many of those obstacles could be removed quickly if there was a desire to setup runways however.

HighwayStar

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2021, 05:15:45 PM »

Chris

As a high-pointer I know it is not the highest, and frankly that is a good thing as Mt. Elbert is easier to climb, but I can understand the confusion vs. Pike's Peak.

Thinking it is the highest in the US vs. Mount McKinley however is an indictment of our education system.

HighwayStar

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2021, 05:17:07 PM »

Since no one has mentioned this one yet.

People think that I-70 actually goes to Baltimore. :bigass:

:popcorn:

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 12:11:02 AM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2021, 05:58:24 PM »

Thinking it is the highest in the US vs. Mount McKinley however is an indictment of our education system.

Thinking it's "Mount McKinley" rather than "Denali" (original name, restored as the official name) is a lesser indictment.

People think that I-70 actually goes to Baltimore.

Ends maybe about 0.1 mile west of Baltimore city limits. Close enough.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

HighwayStar

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2021, 06:04:03 PM »

Thinking it's "Mount McKinley" rather than "Denali" (original name, restored as the official name) is a lesser indictment.

McKinley is the proper name, that was the original name as recognized by President Wilson. I never call it Denali because it never should have been re-named.

City Limits are irrelevant, it never actually goes into town.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2021, 06:08:56 PM »

McKinley is the proper name, that was the original name as recognized by President Wilson. I never call it Denali because it never should have been re-named.

It was called Denali before Wilson named it.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.