AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Road World Mandela Effect Examples  (Read 14525 times)

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
Re: Road World Mandela Effect Examples
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2021, 06:10:48 PM »

Thinking it is the highest in the US vs. Mount McKinley however is an indictment of our education system.

Thinking it's "Mount McKinley" rather than "Denali" (original name, restored as the official name) is a lesser indictment.

People think that I-70 actually goes to Baltimore.

Ends maybe about 0.1 mile west of Baltimore city limits. Close enough.

McKinley is the proper name, that was the original name as recognized by President Wilson. I never call it Denali because it never should have been re-named.

It was called Denali before Wilson named it.

No it was actually called McKinley before that, Wilson was the one to recognize it as the first official name of the Mountain. And naming it after a deceased president is more fitting anyway, Denali has no meaning whatsoever.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:20:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2021, 06:15:51 PM »

I don't think anyone who thinks this is an acceptable way to wear a tie should be allowed to have a mountain named after them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

HighwayStar

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2021, 06:17:30 PM »

I don't think anyone who thinks this is an acceptable way to wear a tie should be allowed to have a mountain named after them.

Fashions change over time, but at least its a real name, not something that sounds like Charles Dodgson wrote it.

Scott5114

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2021, 06:19:31 PM »

Nah, it's a fake name. "Mc" means son of. Son of kinley? What's a kinley? It's not in my dictionary. Sounds like made-up bullshit to me.

HighwayStar

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2021, 06:20:19 PM »

Nah, it's a fake name. "Mc" means son of. Son of kinley? What's a kinley? It's not in my dictionary. Sounds like made-up bullshit to me.

At least its English.

Scott5114

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2021, 06:21:18 PM »

At least its English.

No, it's not. "Mc" is Scottish and Irish.

HighwayStar

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2021, 06:25:48 PM »

At least its English.

The language not the nationality. Both countries use English as their language, since they got their ass kicked some time ago...

Scott5114

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2021, 06:30:09 PM »

At least its English.

The language not the nationality. Both countries use English as their language, since they got their ass kicked some time ago...

Just like McKinley got his ass kicked by Czolgosz?

HighwayStar

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2021, 06:39:32 PM »

At least its English.

Given that the latter ended up dead and thrown into a coffin of sulfuric acid it would be hard to say he really kicked any ass so much as had his kicked. In any case, I consider McKinley to be the legitimate name of the mountain, and is what I will tag it as when I climb it.

Scott5114

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2021, 06:43:55 PM »

At least its English.

Given that the latter ended up dead and thrown into a coffin of sulfuric acid it would be hard to say he really kicked any ass so much as had his kicked.

Given that he also ended up dead, it would be hard to say McKinley didn't get his ass kicked too...

formulanone

• latest clinch

• Last Login: Today at 04:41:03 AM
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2021, 06:48:42 PM »

goes to

This may come as a surprise to you, but even the little words have consistent meanings.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2021, 06:48:44 PM »

A widely believed one, mostly outside the road community, is the belief that one mile out of every five miles of Interstate must be perfectly straight to allow planes to land. (Nobody who espouses this belief stops to consider that this would make constructing an Interstate in places like West Virginia borderline impossible.)

I am a firm believer though that this was rooted in some fact, just like a game of telephone screws with things it got garbled in translation.
Such a requirement was obviously not stated in terms like x miles out of 10 or whatever, but likely showed up as a decision to make straight sections of road where possible, and that may have been disguised as an engineering guideline.
*citation needed*
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 02:48:46 AM
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2021, 08:01:35 PM »

Just a couple of observations:

McKinley is believed to be an anglicization of the Gaelic nickname Mac an Leigh, meaning something like "son of a leech."

*  There is historical precedent for motorways being used as aircraft runways, notably in Germany during World War II.  I think FHWA's highway history pages have (or at any rate used to have) an account of how this led to the received idea that Interstates were required to have one straight mile in every five.  In actuality, very long tangents are considered problematic from an alignment design perspective.

Returning to the topic of this thread:  I've long suspected the received idea that the US highways were built with 50% federal, 50% state funding is a grossly oversimplified account of how cost-sharing evolved over time.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:29 AM
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2021, 08:42:19 PM »

Thinking it is the highest in the US vs. Mount McKinley however is an indictment of our education system.

Thinking it's "Mount McKinley" rather than "Denali" (original name, restored as the official name) is a lesser indictment.

People think that I-70 actually goes to Baltimore.

Ends maybe about 0.1 mile west of Baltimore city limits. Close enough.

McKinley is the proper name, that was the original name as recognized by President Wilson. I never call it Denali because it never should have been re-named.

It was called Denali before Wilson named it.

No it was actually called McKinley before that, Wilson was the one to recognize it as the first official name of the Mountain. And naming it after a deceased president is more fitting anyway, Denali has no meaning whatsoever.

Having dealt with this for over a decade in Minneapolis regarding the name of a prominent lake, what the hell is the deal with trying to suggest the people who lived there for eons before white people showed up never named these things themselves?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 12:05:38 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2021, 08:44:54 PM »

The proposed I-895 outside Richmond not being allowed to be an interstate because it’s a toll road. And more generally, toll roads not allowed to be interstates anymore.
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don’t @ me. Seriously.

SkyPesos

• I-80E to NYC, not Clarion, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc

• Last Login: Today at 06:22:36 AM
« Reply #65 on: September 15, 2021, 09:06:20 PM »

The proposed I-895 outside Richmond not being allowed to be an interstate because it’s a toll road. And more generally, toll roads not allowed to be interstates anymore.
I thought that was the case with the numbering of the ICC (MD 200) too. There's a perfectly fine number handed on a silver platter at one end of the ICC (I-370), so besides that, I didn't really see why a new number was chosen instead.

Rothman

« Reply #66 on: September 15, 2021, 09:18:20 PM »

Just a couple of observations:

McKinley is believed to be an anglicization of the Gaelic nickname Mac an Leigh, meaning something like "son of a leech."

I don't believe this. :D

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kenarmy

• Last Login: Today at 12:56:07 AM
« Reply #67 on: September 15, 2021, 09:36:59 PM »

Sir.... Denali roughly means "The Great One" and was named by people that actually... you know.. live by the mountain and use it. How is naming it after a dead white man from Ohio fitting 😭?
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

MCRoads

• Only 9,000 posts to go until I win the forum!

• Last Login: March 04, 2024, 03:43:12 PM
« Reply #68 on: September 15, 2021, 10:26:55 PM »

Not sure if this is a Mandela effect so much as a misconception, but almost all crash barrels use sand, not water. The only attenuator I know that uses water are the SLED attenuators.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
 4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

HighwayStar

« Reply #69 on: September 15, 2021, 10:51:09 PM »

Sir.... Denali roughly means "The Great One" and was named by people that actually... you know.. live by the mountain and use it. How is naming it after a dead white man from Ohio fitting 😭?

That dead man from Ohio was a PRESIDENT of these United States. "roughly means" in some dead language none of us speak.

Rothman

« Reply #70 on: September 15, 2021, 10:52:59 PM »

Sir.... Denali roughly means "The Great One" and was named by people that actually... you know.. live by the mountain and use it. How is naming it after a dead white man from Ohio fitting ?

That dead man from Ohio was a PRESIDENT of these United States. "roughly means" in some dead language none of us speak.
Dang dude...yikes.

HighwayStar

« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2021, 10:55:32 PM »

Sir.... Denali roughly means "The Great One" and was named by people that actually... you know.. live by the mountain and use it. How is naming it after a dead white man from Ohio fitting ?

Dang dude...yikes.

Its true, naming things after a president, one that was assassinated in office for that matter, makes far more sense than using a term that has no meaning to anyone outside of the barely-populated-enough-to-qualify-as-a-state Alaska.

But I digress.

For another Mandela effect how about I-95 goes through DC  :awesomeface:

Rothman

« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2021, 10:57:04 PM »

Dang dude...yikes.

Its true, naming things after a president, one that was assassinated in office for that matter, makes far more sense than using a term that has no meaning to anyone outside of the barely-populated-enough-to-qualify-as-a-state Alaska.

No, it actually shows respect for the mountain's history and the people that named it originally.

kenarmy

• Last Login: Today at 12:56:07 AM
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2021, 11:07:18 PM »

Dang dude...yikes.

But I digress.

It's the way you're dissing natives, their language, and a mountain more than 4,000 miles away from you.. LMAOOOO you thought you ate that up  :-D.

But moving on chile  :coffee:.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

HighwayStar

« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2021, 11:41:28 PM »

Dang dude...yikes.

But I digress.

It's the way you're dissing natives, their language, and a mountain more than 4,000 miles away from you.. LMAOOOO you thought you ate that up  :-D.

But moving on chile  :coffee:.

Its an American mountain, we bought it from the Russians. Its mine as much as anyone else's.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.