AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Poll

Which is the best street grid?

Numbered streets 1st, 2nd, 3rd
- 37 (67.3%)
Letter streets, A, B, C
- 4 (7.3%)
Other street names such as towns and counties
- 14 (25.5%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Author Topic: Which is the best street grid?  (Read 13904 times)

NWI_Irish96

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 06:28:49 PM
    • Travel Mapping
Re: Which is the best street grid?
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2021, 01:29:31 PM »

This is what I would design:

E-W streets north of center are numbered (1st, 2nd, 3rd)
E-W streets south of center are named for plants/flowers/trees alphabetically (Ash, Beech, Cedar)
N-S streets east of center are named for Presidents chronologically (Washington, Adams, Jefferson)
N-S streets west of center are named for the states chronologically (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey)
Which means your city can only grow 46-50 blocks to the east or west. :D :D :D

If you need to, you can go to territories after the states and if you really need to other countries.
If you run out of Presidents, use other founding fathers, like Hamilton, Franklin, Hancock
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 59%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Mark68

• Last Login: February 04, 2024, 04:12:40 AM
    • My Travels over the years
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2021, 04:24:59 PM »

I like Denver's solution which has N-S streets in alphabetic order once outside the city's core.
Kinda sorta. It's two streets at a time in alpha order, but the two same-first-letter streets are often not in alpha order. Examples: Clermont is before Cherry; Dexter is before Dahlia; Eudora is before Elm.

There was a convention to this, as provided for in Phil Goodstein's (local Denver historian) book Denver Streets: Names, Numbers, Locations, Logic. I don't have the book handy (as I am at work), but I believe the first street in the double-alphabet is a name and the second one is a tree or flower, hence Clermont, Dexter, Eudora, etc., and Cherry, Dahlia, Elm, etc.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:05:19 PM
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2021, 04:44:35 PM »

E-W streets south of center are named for plants/flowers/trees alphabetically (Ash, Beech, Cedar)
N-S streets east of center are named for Presidents chronologically (Washington, Adams, Jefferson)
N-S streets west of center are named for the states chronologically (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey)
Which means your city can only grow 46-50 blocks to the east or west. :D :D :D

If you need to, you can go to territories after the states and if you really need to other countries.
If you run out of Presidents, use other founding fathers, like Hamilton, Franklin, Hancock

This sounds exceedingly boring.  Numbers, states and presidents?  Give me something unique.

mukade

• Last Login: January 10, 2024, 08:05:39 AM
    • Highway Explorer
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2021, 07:53:52 PM »

Isn't that mostly Lake County's grid with a touch of St. Joseph County?

Yeah, Lake county uses numbers and states, St joe County uses trees and people (though not all Presidents) except that the names are alphabetical and not chronological.

To expand on the eastern Lake County, Indiana street naming system:

• North (N/A as these streets would be on the premises of US Steel Gary Works or in Lake Michigan)
  • South: avenues which are numbered (1st Avenue to 250th Avenue). This system is used across the county except where the Chicago numbering is used
  • West: streets named for presidents in the order they served ending with Taft who was the 27th president. Then chief justices of the supreme court and finally, Indiana Governors
  • East: streets named for states starting roughly in the order the entered the union, but then becoming random at the end - starting with Massachusetts St. and ending with New York St. Then streets named for Indiana counties (alphabetically) where they don't duplicate presidents' names (for example, Adams St is missing for this part because the name was used for a street named for a president)

Hobart and Crown Point within its original boundaries have their own street naming systems altogether. In western Lake County, Hammond and Dyer (which are not adjacent) use the Chicago numbering street system for east-west streets (108th St to 215th St). Newly annexed parts of Dyer maintain the Gary street numbering system.

So a very logical system has fallen apart to some extent.

Most counties in Indiana have their county roads named using a very simple system. The east-west road a mile north of the east-west base line is CR 100N, the one 2 miles north is CR 200N, the one 2.5 miles north would be CR 250N etc. And the same thing goes for all directions. Despite being pretty boring, it is a very practical and useful system for areas that have grids. You literally can never get lost.

NWI_Irish96

• Travel Mapping
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2021, 10:25:10 PM »

Munster uses the same system as Hammond and Dyer, though all subtract 10000 from their Cook County counterparts. 17704 State Line Ave in Lansing is across the street from 7705 State Line Ave in Munster.

mukade

• Last Login: January 10, 2024, 08:05:39 AM
    • Highway Explorer
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2021, 06:49:34 PM »

I am pretty sure Highland also uses the same street address numbering system as Munster, but I don't think either town has streets with the Chicago numbering. East Chicago and Whiting do, however.

NWI_Irish96

• Travel Mapping
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2021, 06:57:14 PM »

I am pretty sure Highland also uses the same street address numbering system as Munster, but I don't think either town has streets with the Chicago numbering. East Chicago and Whiting do, however.

Yes, Hammond, Whiting, East Chicago, Munster and Highland are all part of North Township, and the entire township numbers E-W streets counting up from the state line and N-S streets counting up from 100th Street. Hammond, Whiting and East Chicago have some streets numbered on Chicago's grid. Munster and Highland have a few streets numbered on the Lake County grid, most notably 45th St.

index

• Chief Sisyphean Affairs Officer

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 06:42:34 PM
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2022, 01:22:43 AM »

How about the worst street grid?

This, judging by a search I've done on this forum, has only been mentioned once. Which was kind of surprising to me given the amount of minutiae this forum has dug up. And that is Hickory, NC's naming system for its grid. They had to make an entire guide to try and justify it:

https://www.hickorync.gov/sites/default/files/hickoryncgov/Communications/Navigate%20Hickory%20NC%20streets.pdf

A lot of addresses seem to be confusing because they end in Place, Court, Circle, Drive, Lane, or Way. These addresses usually fall within a defined block, according to the city’s grid system. For example, 7th Ave. PL would be between 7th Ave. and 8th Ave. and 7th St. Pl would be between 7th St. and 8th St.

Imagine telling somebody you live on 6th St Cir CT NW or 18th Ave Cir Pl NW. The first time I was in Hickory I wasn't confused as to where to go because I was using a GPS, but I had a real WTF moment with the street names.

The definitions they give also have confusing and arbitrary distinctions between things like courts and places. And the justification for why they implemented the system makes no real sense either.

Prior to adopting the present street-numbering system, Hickory had a confusing system of naming and numbering streets and houses. There were many dead end roads and uncompleted streets, which picked up several blocks from where they ended. There were also four of each street or avenue, one in each quadrant of the city

Other places have non-contiguous streets with no problem. I don't know who thinks stacking street names on top of each other is somehow better than that.

I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

cockroachking

• Lowest Route # Untraveled: 266

• Last Login: Today at 01:47:06 AM
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2022, 02:44:57 AM »

Best street grid IMO is similar to the Miami grid system, with the cardinal direction quadrant (NE,SE,SW,NW) followed by the number, followed by the suffix (Avenue for N-S, Street for E-W, or vice versa). Dividing streets can be named whatever, as long as the names stand out (Main St., Central Ave., Broadway, Nameofcity Ave., etc.), and the diagonals can be named whatever, so long as they are themed (Presidents, trees, states, etc.).

If the base 10 numbers are boring, they can always be changed to something different like hexadecimal  :D

Flint1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2022, 06:52:13 AM »

Madison, WI. No grid whatsoever. They do have a first through sixth streets, but they are seemingly placed in the middle of nowhere.

It’s great.
I was just looking at Madison's streets. There is a 7th and 8th Street too. The thing I see is that they are very short streets and 8th Street turns into Scofield which itself is a very short street so I'm wondering why they didn't just call it either Scofield or 8th for the entire street.

hobsini2

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:43:32 PM
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2022, 07:34:00 PM »

For my fictional capital city of Union City on OpenGeofiction, I use the following:
Dividers:
Independence Blvd (0E-W)
Capitol St (0N-S)

E-W streets: Presidents in order from President St (1300 S) going north to Obama St except for Capitol St and the 2 east-west streets that make up Union Circle Square. The southern street is Harpo St and the northern street is Groucho St. South of President St, there's only a couple blocks before the ocean. Those streets are other famous last names. North of Obama St, the names are more random last names.

N-S avenues: West of Independence Blvd, the streets are named for states, except for the western boundary of Union Circle Square named Zeppo Ave (400 W), working west to east and north to south in order.  After the states, then territories. At Western Ave (5800 W), the names are random first names. East of Independence Blvd, the streets are named for the state capitals in state name order. Montgomery, Juneau, Phoenix, etc. except for the eastern boundary of Union Circle Square named Chico Ave (400 E). When a capital shares the name with a President, the President street takes the name and the avenue is named after another city in that state. Biloxi, St Louis, Omaha and Milwaukee were used. Then comes Eastern Ave (5100 E) and then other random city names until County Line Rd (11000 E).

Then there is Congressional Island where all the streets are named after former Congressmen except for Island Ave and Sanctuary Ave.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 07:36:23 PM by hobsini2 »
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

sbeaver44

• Accountant/Roadgeek

• Last Login: March 06, 2024, 12:02:56 PM
    • Flickr - WestPA31
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2022, 10:59:14 PM »

On this subject, what’s the reason for Cleveland’s streets going E 6th, E 9th, E 12th east of Public Square?  And then on the west side it is W 3rd, W 6th, W 9th?  What happened to the streets not divisible by 3?

KCRoadFan

• Enthusiastic fan of roads, sports, and waterparks.

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:21 AM
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2022, 11:26:54 PM »

E-W streets: Presidents in order from President St (1300 S) going north to Obama St except for Capitol St and the 2 east-west streets that make up Union Circle Square. The southern street is Harpo St and the northern street is Groucho St. South of President St, there's only a couple blocks before the ocean. Those streets are other famous last names. North of Obama St, the names are more random last names.

John Quincy Adams - does it skip from Monroe to Jackson, or is Quincy used?
Benjamin Harrison - does it skip from Cleveland to McKinley, or is Benjamin used?
I'm guessing Cleveland is only used once.
Roosevelt - Teddy and FDR? The two Bushes?

KCRoadFan

• Enthusiastic fan of roads, sports, and waterparks.

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:21 AM
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2022, 11:34:19 PM »

I like Denver's solution which has N-S streets in alphabetic order once outside the city's core.
Kinda sorta. It's two streets at a time in alpha order, but the two same-first-letter streets are often not in alpha order. Examples: Clermont is before Cherry; Dexter is before Dahlia; Eudora is before Elm.

There was a convention to this, as provided for in Phil Goodstein's (local Denver historian) book Denver Streets: Names, Numbers, Locations, Logic. I don't have the book handy (as I am at work), but I believe the first street in the double-alphabet is a name and the second one is a tree or flower, hence Clermont, Dexter, Eudora, etc., and Cherry, Dahlia, Elm, etc.

Or as I like to refer to it, "a person or place, and a plant."

CtrlAltDel

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PM
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2022, 11:38:06 PM »

Benjamin Harrison - does it skip from Cleveland to McKinley, or is Benjamin used?

Don't forget Andrew and Lyndon, either.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

NWI_Irish96

• Travel Mapping
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2022, 09:37:43 AM »

JQ Adams = Quincy
B Harrison = Benjamin
FDR = Franklin
GW Bush = Walker

dlsterner

• Last Login: Today at 12:09:31 AM
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2022, 03:03:53 PM »

Why stop at Obama St?  There's a former president and a current president which are more recent.

hobsini2

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2022, 05:16:38 PM »

Good question. Here's what I did for those ages ago:
John Adams - Adams St
John Q Adams - Quincy St
William Harrison - Harrison St
Benjamin Harrison - Benjamin St
Andrew Johnson - Johnson St
Lyndon Johnson - Baines St
Teddy Roosevelt - Roosevelt St
Franklin Roosevelt - Delano St
Grover Cleveland (22) - Cleveland St
Grover Cleveland (24) - Grover St
George Bush Sr - Bush St
George H.W. Bush - Walker St

Disterner, As for 45 and 46, 45 is Dunce St. (I hated him). 46 doesn't have one yet. I am stopping at 45 anyway. North of there is Forest Home Ave and other names.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2022, 05:38:58 PM »

I also have a number other cities and towns that have some kind of theme or 2.

Ocean Park - Uses Alphabetical order names with Union St and Meridian Ave as the 0 point going up heading north and west. Going east uses tree and plant names.
Black Mud Hts - All streets have a Star Wars theme.
Fish City - Types of Fish
Ripon - Wrestlers and Musicians
Waupun - Star Trek characters and Wisconsin cities
Greensburg - Illinois cities
Westport - Explorers and Italian cities
The Lake Winnebago Area of Wisconsin with Oshki for Oshkosh, Base Lake for Fond du Lac and Appleville for Appleton.
Oshki - Used only the names of the existing main streets such as Algoma Blvd, High St, Oshki Ave (Oshkosh Ave), Main St, Oregon St, South Park Ave, Ripon Rd, Waupun Rd, Witzel Ave, Sawyer St, Koeller St and Washburn St.  Also used Native American tribes and numbers south of Downtown.

Algoma - Big 10 Teams Nicknames
Lake Spooner - Former Badgers

Ned Weasel

• Last Login: January 07, 2024, 09:21:23 PM
    • My Instagram
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2022, 04:21:56 PM »

Cities that have street numbers in sixteenth-mile intervals should use hexadecimal.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

GaryV

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:10:05 PM
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2022, 08:02:23 AM »

Kalamazoo County MI uses letter names for their e-w roads. A Ave is a mile north of B Ave, which is a mile north of C Ave, etc.

If there is a half-mile road, it is named with both letters. For example I recently drove on East DE Ave. The Google Map lady didn't know what to call it - she settled on "East".

Flint1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2022, 08:14:33 AM »

Kalamazoo County MI uses letter names for their e-w roads. A Ave is a mile north of B Ave, which is a mile north of C Ave, etc.

If there is a half-mile road, it is named with both letters. For example I recently drove on East DE Ave. The Google Map lady didn't know what to call it - she settled on "East".
So does Calhoun County to the east of it, the letters don't match up though. Like one example E. R Ave in Kalamazoo County turns into H Drive S. in Calhoun County.

i-215

• Last Login: February 16, 2024, 09:41:31 PM
« Reply #72 on: March 23, 2022, 04:32:42 AM »

A vote for Salt Lake City.

Just use Street Addresses as your street name.

Major boulevards in Salt Lake County have names like:  2100 North, 3300 South, 12600 South, 700 East, 2000 East, 2700 West

Downtown blocks are: 100 West, 200 West, 300 West... etc.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2022, 06:40:41 AM »

Major boulevards in Salt Lake County have names like:  2100 North, 3300 South, 12600 South, 700 East, 2000 East, 2700 West

So, every Mormon grid. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #74 on: March 23, 2022, 10:48:18 AM »

So, every Mormon grid. :D

It works really well in Salt Lake because the entire valley is one address system. The grid is horrible if there are a lot of grids and reference points nearby and you don't know which one is being referred to. See Utah County, where most cities have their own grid, and others use a section line-based grid that is kind of close to Provo's but not quite. I honestly use state highway numbers to navigate myself down there because I can never remember which city I'm in - which I don't think I do anywhere else.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.