News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What is your state's most famous rout?

Started by JayhawkCO, November 08, 2021, 02:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 15, 2021, 08:49:06 PM
:-(
Quote from: Rothman on November 15, 2021, 03:28:37 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 15, 2021, 02:48:40 PM
Quote from: SectorZ on November 08, 2021, 08:17:49 PM
Every week by whatever UMass decides to lose by...
Can't believe we lost to FCS Rhode Island and Maine by double-digits :banghead:
UMass' football team doesn't exactly have a storied history...

They did win an FCS (then 1-AA) Championship in 1998.  Plus they beat UConn this season, so they're not the worst team in FBS.

So...23 years ago.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jlam

I believe the worst (or one of the worst) FBS teams would be Arizona. They are 1-6 in their conference (1-9 overall) and their lone win came against UC Berkeley, another awful team.

DTComposer

Quote from: jlam on November 16, 2021, 10:46:16 AM
I believe the worst (or one of the worst) FBS teams would be Arizona. They are 1-6 in their conference (1-9 overall) and their lone win came against UC Berkeley, another awful team.

To be fair, Cal was missing seven starters (including their QB), nearly 20 of their bench players, and four coaches due to COVID - the Cal-USC game was postponed for this reason. They likely would have been 3-3 in conference and 4-5 overall - mediocre, to be sure, but not awful.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jlam on November 16, 2021, 10:46:16 AM

Arizona is probably the worst Power 5 team, but several non-power 5 teams are worse, with UConn possibly the worst. They lost to a UMass team that got blown out by FCS Maine, and UConn's only win was against Ivy League Yale.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Looks like the state of Michigan's most famous rout is going on right now.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on November 20, 2021, 01:30:33 PM
Looks like the state of Michigan's most famous rout is going on right now.
Only for a few people around the east side of the capital.

vegas1962

Some other Michigan references off the top of my head:

Lions 59, Browns 14 in the 1957 NFL Championship. Perhaps the last time the Lions franchise was truly relevant.

Tigers 16, White Sox 0 on April 18, 1991, in the inaugural game at the "new" Comiskey Park. Way to wreck a housewarming party.

Two for the Red Wings, both involving Patrick Roy:
1) December 2, 1995 - Red Wings 11, Canadiens 1; notable for Montreal coach Mario Tremblay hanging Roy out to dry for nine goals, resulting in Roy telling the GM that he'd never play for Montreal again. He was traded to the Colorado Avalanche soon after (you're welcome, Avs fans).
2) May 31, 2002 (Game 7 of Western Semi-Final) - Red Wings 7, Avalanche 0; Roy, who seemed to have a personal vendetta against the Red Wings and was a thorn in their hide ever since the 1995 debacle in Montreal, was public enemy #1 to Detroit hockey fans. This game exorcised the Wings' demon.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vegas1962 on November 22, 2021, 04:51:48 PM
Some other Michigan references off the top of my head:

Lions 59, Browns 14 in the 1957 NFL Championship. Perhaps the last time the Lions franchise was truly relevant.

Tigers 16, White Sox 0 on April 18, 1991, in the inaugural game at the "new" Comiskey Park. Way to wreck a housewarming party.

Two for the Red Wings, both involving Patrick Roy:
1) December 2, 1995 - Red Wings 11, Canadiens 1; notable for Montreal coach Mario Tremblay hanging Roy out to dry for nine goals, resulting in Roy telling the GM that he'd never play for Montreal again. He was traded to the Colorado Avalanche soon after (you're welcome, Avs fans).
2) May 31, 2002 (Game 7 of Western Semi-Final) - Red Wings 7, Avalanche 0; Roy, who seemed to have a personal vendetta against the Red Wings and was a thorn in their hide ever since the 1995 debacle in Montreal, was public enemy #1 to Detroit hockey fans. This game exorcised the Wings' demon.

I'd argue game four of the 1996-97 western conference finals was where the Red Wings exercised the demons of the Colorado Avalanche and Patrick Roy when they won 6-0.  Granted game five was the exact reverse (6-0 Avalanche) but the Red Wings won the series 4-2 and went onto win the Stanley Cup. 

vegas1962

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 22, 2021, 07:21:14 PM
I'd argue game four of the 1996-97 western conference finals was where the Red Wings exercised the demons of the Colorado Avalanche and Patrick Roy when they won 6-0.  Granted game five was the exact reverse (6-0 Avalanche) but the Red Wings won the series 4-2 and went onto win the Stanley Cup. 

Very true, ending the 42-year drought in "˜97 was a huge moment in Red Wings history. But Roy and the Avs eliminated the Red Wings in the second round of the playoffs in both 1999 and 2000, and the Avs usually got the better of the Wings in their regular season meetings. Roy definitely was in the heads of Wings fans during that era.

NWI_Irish96

Michigan's most famous rout was in 1991 and was a 4-0 series loss to the greatest basketball team ever assembled, after which the classless losers exhibited the ultimate lack of sportsmanship.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 22, 2021, 09:59:07 PM
Michigan's most famous rout was in 1991 and was a 4-0 series loss to the greatest basketball team ever assembled, after which the classless losers exhibited the ultimate lack of sportsmanship.

Yes, because MJ was known for being such a classy guy himself.  The Pistons sure got away with pushing the Bulls around far longer than any other NBA team.

For what it's worth Michael Jordan is by far the greatest NBA player I've ever seen.  That probably ought to say something from someone who is a life long Pistons fan.  Lebron James, Steph Curry and Kobe Bryant aren't on the same level as MJ was. 

nexus73

For SoCal, I would nominate the ND-USC 1974 game.  The Irish led 24-0. USC scored a TD just before halftime to make it 24-6, then rattled off 49 points to win 55-24.  This game made up for ND wiping the Trojans off the map 51-0 in 1966.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

thspfc

Give me the 17/18 Warriors over the 90/91 Bulls by at least 20 points. Superior physical conditioning and far superior three point shooting.

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 22, 2021, 10:03:58 PM

Yes, because MJ was known for being such a classy guy himself.  The Pistons sure got away with pushing the Bulls around far longer than any other NBA team.

For what it's worth Michael Jordan is by far the greatest NBA player I've ever seen.  That probably ought to say something from someone who is a life long Pistons fan.  Lebron James, Steph Curry and Kobe Bryant aren't on the same level as MJ was.
I respect the opinion that MJ is the GOAT basketball player; I do not respect the opinion that MJ is the GOAT team sport athlete. Brady is already past him and his career isn't even over.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on November 23, 2021, 12:24:47 PM
Give me the 17/18 Warriors over the 90/91 Bulls by at least 20 points. Superior physical conditioning and far superior three point shooting.

This is why it's tough to have matchups like this (the '72 Dolphins vs. '85 Bears, etc.). The game changed so much in 25 years both on and off the court.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

In any sport the most recent champions are going to be far superior to a champion from 20+ years ago due to generational improvements in physical conditioning.

So you can use the literal definition of greatest, which leads to default answers in every situation and is not at all interesting, or you can use the more commonly accepted definition of greatest, which compares teams relative to their own time period, in which case the 1990-98 Bulls only have competition from the old Celtics.

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on November 23, 2021, 01:56:07 PM

In any sport the most recent champions are going to be far superior to a champion from 20+ years ago due to generational improvements in physical conditioning.

So you can use the literal definition of greatest, which leads to default answers in every situation and is not at all interesting, or you can use the more commonly accepted definition of greatest, which compares teams relative to their own time period, in which case the 1990-98 Bulls only have competition from the old Celtics.
That's fair. For the 90/91 Bulls -  "Greatest" , sure. "Best" , nope.

1995hoo

When did they face the Dream Team?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 23, 2021, 06:49:32 PM

When did they face the Dream Team?

Michael Jordan wouldn't have allowed the matchup out of spite toward Isiah Thomas.   :biggrin:

hbelkins

Not so sure about the latest always being superior. Lots of debate around here over who would win in a matchup between the 2012 and 1996 UK NCAA champion teams. Consensus is that the 1996 team would win because it was deeper, more experienced, in better physical condition because of Pitino's running/pressing style, and the fact that Pitino (one really bad defensive play call in 1992 nothwithstanding) was/is a better bench coach than Calipari.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on November 24, 2021, 12:12:44 PM

Not so sure about the latest always being superior. Lots of debate around here over who would win in a matchup between the 2012 and 1996 UK NCAA champion teams. Consensus is that the 1996 team would win because it was deeper, more experienced, in better physical condition because of Pitino's running/pressing style, and the fact that Pitino (one really bad defensive play call in 1992 nothwithstanding) was/is a better bench coach than Calipari.
Remember when the ref called Calipari for being out of the coach box during the UMass/UK Sweet 16 game in 1992 or 1993?

UMass remembers...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: hbelkins on November 24, 2021, 12:12:44 PM

Sadly, I have a signed basketball right next to me from the KU 2012-13 team that ran into Anthony Davis, et al in the finals.  Had that game gone another two minutes, I think we would have won.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: thspfc on November 23, 2021, 12:26:48 PM

I respect the opinion that MJ is the GOAT basketball player; I do not respect the opinion that MJ is the GOAT team sport athlete. Brady is already past him and his career isn't even over.

Brady still has some work to do to surpass Gehrig (8 titles) & Joltin' Joe (9 titles).
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 24, 2021, 03:59:37 PM
Quote from: thspfc on November 23, 2021, 12:26:48 PM

Brady still has some work to do to surpass Gehrig (8 titles) & Joltin' Joe (9 titles).

An individual Basketball player (especially a great one) has far more impact on a team than that of a Quarterback or any football player.  Basketball players have to play both offense and defense, rarely does that happen anymore in football.  The comparison is kind of hard to make given both sports and the number of players on teams is so vastly different.

vegas1962

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on November 24, 2021, 03:59:37 PM

According to baseball-reference.com, Gehrig had "only" six WS titles ('27-'28, '32, '36-'38). DiMaggio did indeed have nine wins, which could have been 11 if the Yanks had beaten St. Louis in 1942 and if DiMaggio hadn't missed out on the Yanks' win in the '43 WS due to military service.

But they all still trail the all-time WS leader: Yogi Berra. 10 titles in a total of 14 appearances in the Fall Classic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.