AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: You have been on the most different highways numbered . . .  (Read 4063 times)

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
Re: You have been on the most different highways numbered . . .
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2022, 01:11:31 PM »

did you start by going back in time and logging whatever you could remember? And if so, how big of an undertaking was it?

This is what I did pretty much. It took what, maybe a couple hours the first time, but then you never have to put effort into that again. In my experience it helps if you organize your list file by state.

There's a few roads I claim on there that I don't remember, because I know from my parents or whoever that we had to have a gone a certain way. Any big road trips after maybe age 7-8 I can usually remember what route we took. As Jayhawk mentioned, local urban arterials are more difficult, but any segments of those I wasn't certain I'd ever been on were close enough to clinch easily anyway.

The tricky part is routes like that in other metropolitan areas. In my case, I've been going to Denver fairly frequently for as long as I can remember, and I'm sure I have more mileage around there than I claim... but I have no idea where it might be or how far it could go. At some point when I'm there next, I'll make an effort to pick up as much urban arterial state highway mileage as I can to cover my bases.

formulanone

• latest clinch

• Last Login: Today at 04:41:03 AM
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2022, 01:28:40 PM »

I'd really like to be able to answer this question, but without Travel Mapping, I have no idea where to even start.

The obvious solution is to start a Travel Mapping account, but since I've never used it... here's a question for those of you that do: Have you kept track of your travels for as long as you can remember, or did you start by going back in time and logging whatever you could remember? And if so, how big of an undertaking was it?

I could pretty much tell you whether I've been on any given route with thousands of yes/no answers, but getting 22 years worth of data logged seems like it could be a massive time consuming project - possibly even days on end given that I just blew about an hour on the TM site and ended up with about five entries.

I'd kept pretty good track of my travels by highlighting them on paper maps. Until 2010, my travels were much more limited to staying "in state" compared to today, so it was a lot easier to keep track of anything outside "my bubble", other than Interstates and US Routes. I photographed a lot of it since that point (I would forget things without that precision), but not so much at night, in bad weather conditions, or when driving with family. Even then, I've probably re-driven about 90% of anywhere I'd travelled as a kid, thanks to my job.

Here's an example of part of my file; you'll recognize a few of these routes:

NY I-390 I-86 20
NY I-481 4 6
NY I-490 I-90(47) 29
NY I-495 22A 53
NY I-590 I-390 5
NY NY252 NY383 NY64/96
NY NY259 NY104 NY18_E
NY NY261 NY104 NY18_W
NY NY286 NY590 NY250

All in all, I spent about an hour a night for 3-4 months to get nearly everything into Travel Mapping; even then, routes drop off or get re-routed so there's always a little maintenance, because it's an entire work-in-progress. Note the I-481 example above? That will certainly drop off one day and I'll get no mileage for that entry, but I could claim it as part I-81, if I choose to do so.

I would also advise to contribute just a few routes at first, so you get the hang of it. Try a few roads in your area (use the points described in the route's file, not necessarily what you might call it), copy or type it into your .list file (it's just a *.txt file, easy enough) and then submit it. When you have no errors, you'll know you're doing it right and can then go whole-hog. Keep a spare copy every day because you will make some occasional mistakes...like deleting an entire state and not realizing it for a few weeks!

Did I have to guess a little bit on some of the normal "daily driving" in places that I've lived?  Yeah, but nothing too egregious.
Sometimes I backtrack or advance a mile or two because my memory or my ability to click on every moment is far from perfect (hey, I missed the exit and looped back...or there was a detour so you left the road early).

This would be way harder if I grew up in Kentucky where everything is a damn state highway.
Though a lot less so, some of the old maps I used in Florida had former state routes listed or even posted (Florida has loads of old shields still posted) and at least a quarter of my mileage dropped off through repeated decommissioning.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 01:53:56 PM by formulanone »

SkyPesos

• I-80E to NYC, not Clarion, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc

• Last Login: Today at 06:22:36 AM
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2022, 01:43:42 PM »

I'd really like to be able to answer this question, but without Travel Mapping, I have no idea where to even start.

The obvious solution is to start a Travel Mapping account, but since I've never used it... here's a question for those of you that do: Have you kept track of your travels for as long as you can remember, or did you start by going back in time and logging whatever you could remember? And if so, how big of an undertaking was it?
I have a good portion of my traveled routes tracked on a Google MyMaps map, which I use because I find it to be easier to draw lines on a map than to make a .list file. Though the map is missing a bunch of routes from my trips when I was younger (due to my lack of memory of them). Also, I have some errors on the map that I need to fix, like for my traveled Route 3's list above, I forgot that I've been on a short part of IN 3 between I-74 and IN 46, and thought that it was IN 46 that interchanges with I-74 at the cloverleaf.

jlam

• Lowest untraveled route number: 97

• Last Login: Today at 01:15:23 AM
    • All important highways in US (WIP)
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2022, 02:34:34 PM »

Mine is by far 1.

US, US ALT (DC), AL, CA, CO, ND, Pacific Hwy, TN

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2022, 02:40:33 PM »

I could pretty much tell you whether I've been on any given route with thousands of yes/no answers, but getting 22 years worth of data logged seems like it could be a massive time consuming project - possibly even days on end given that I just blew about an hour on the TM site and ended up with about five entries.

Mine is definitely missing some travel from when I was growing up. I know the routes we took on a lot of our family vacations, but I'm missing some more local detail in some places on some of those trips (especially around Quebec City), and I know I'm missing some routes taken en route to some Boy Scout camping trips over the years because I don't remember all the camping trips (though the big ones, like the 1989 Canadian Jamboree on PEI, are unforgettable).

You just do the best you can. It helped that in my case some 20 years ago or so I had started highlighting a road atlas to show routes taken. I got that idea from my apartment-mate during my first year of law school–he was from Strasbourg, France, and he had a map of the USA on which he highlighted his travels and I liked the idea.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 12:57:15 AM
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2022, 03:05:39 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replies! They've been varying degrees of inspiring, relieving, and depressing to read through...

All in all, I spent about an hour a night for 3-4 months to get nearly everything into Travel Mapping

That's what I was afraid of.  :-D 

It's definitely going to be a long term project, not something whipped up to find quick answers to a forum thread. But I think I'm going to make a start, as it will be handy to have and fun to update once I get past the initial slog.

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:00:22 PM
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2022, 03:17:54 PM »

1 by far just like Max.

I-A1
US1
US1A
AK1
AR1B
CA1
CO1
DE1
DE1A
DE1B
DE1D
FLA1A
GA1
MO1
ND1
AB1
BC1
MB1
NB1
NS1
PEI1

And Highway 1's in Armenia, Belize, Cambodia, China, Georgia, Indonesia, Iceland, Mauritius, Mexico, Morocco, Myanmar, Philippines, Portugal, South Africa, Switzerland, Turkey, and Vietnam.

37 total according to Travel Mapping.

My second highest is Highway 10 with 20 instances.

I forgot I could just look at traveled highways on Travel Mapping instead of using the "Lowest Number" page.  So, assuming you allow for Business Interstates and bannered routes, I think I've actually been on:

1 - 44 Times
2 - 19 Times
3 - 15 Times
4 - 15 Times
5 - 20 Times
10 - 30 Times
15 - 29 Times
20 - 33 Times
25 - 24 Times
30 - 15 Times
35 - 21 Times
40 - 36 Times
45 - 12 Times
50 - 12 Times
55 - 8 Times
60 - 13 Times
65 - 5 Times
70 - 20 Times
75 - 9 Times
80 - 25 Times
85 - 7 Times
90 - 45 Times
95 - 13 Times

So, looks like my winner is actually 90 (thanks in large part to 36 Interstate Business Loops/Spurs).

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:00:22 PM
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2022, 03:19:31 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replies! They've been varying degrees of inspiring, relieving, and depressing to read through...

All in all, I spent about an hour a night for 3-4 months to get nearly everything into Travel Mapping

That's what I was afraid of.  :-D 

It's definitely going to be a long term project, not something whipped up to find quick answers to a forum thread. But I think I'm going to make a start, as it will be handy to have and fun to update once I get past the initial slog.

It didn't take me that long.  Maybe a total of 20-25 hours? And I've been to 50 states and 66 countries and had to figure all of that out.  And now there are better ways of doing multi-state routes too.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:20:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2022, 04:13:20 PM »

I started keeping track when I was 16, before Travel Mapping existed. I would get two copies of the Oklahoma state map every year, and on one of them I would highlight all of my journeys (yellow if I wasn't behind the wheel, pink if I was). I supplemented this with a Missouri state map when I lived there; I never had enough travels in other states to justify a clinch map. The first clinch map I prepared wasn't too difficult to log, since all of my trips had been to achieve some specific end (usually family visits, high school football games, or Boy Scout camping trips).

When the old CHM site started, it was just Interstates and US routes, so that was easy to enter. It wasn't until I migrated over to Travel Mapping that I actually went back and added state routes, which took a few days worth of editing, referring to my by-now-ancient highlighted maps along the way. Sort-of-fortunately, I wasn't in a position to travel much between when I stopped highlighting the maps and when I migrated the data to TM.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 04:15:39 PM by Scott5114 »
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dlsterner

• Last Login: Today at 12:09:31 AM
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2022, 10:54:03 PM »

webny99, I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I thought I might share some of my experiences and tips.

I decided to limit the list to travels that I have a concrete memory of.  Since I've always had an interest in roads since I was 8 years old or so, that was approximately my starting point.  Which would be the mid-1960's, so still a lot of years to log.

Break it up into manageable chunks.  Maybe start with just interstates.  Or just roads in your home town.  Maybe incrementally add states one at a time, or specific trips one at a time.  Submit the chunk, and look at your log file for any errors and fix them.  Figure out how to display a map on the screen of your travels.  When you're happy, move on to the next chunk.

The comment indicator "#" is your friend.  Anything written after the "#" is ignored, so that you can use it for notations.  I like to use a line of them as a separator between groups, with a blank line as a secondary separator.  Here is an example:

Code: [Select]
############################################################
#
# United States - Interstate highways

AL I-10 MS/AL AL/FL
AL I-20 124 129
AL I-59 124 129
AL I-59 137 AL/GA
AL I-65 114 265B
AL I-65 280 AL/TN
AL I-85 0 AL/GA
AL I-459 15 33

CA I-280 9 49B
CA I-405 42A 63C

I also use it for notes when applicable (sample below):
Code: [Select]
MD I-68 WV/MD 82     # Also traveled road when designated US48
PA US220AltMil PA144/150 US220_N     # Was designated US 220 when I traveled on it

I also have a "header" at the top of the file where I describe the contents, and keep a written history of the updates that I make.

I don't know where you fit on the scale of "tech savvy", but if you want, you can get an account on http://github.com where you can submit your travel file as a pull request to the Travel Mapping site, and it gets taken care of by a (presumably) automatic process.  There's a FAQ that lists the process one step at a time.  The other option is to just email the travel file, and I assume it will be processed manually.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2022, 07:46:57 AM »

^^^^

One thing I did for purposes of creating "manageable chunks" was to focus on particular trips I recall. For example, I’d list all the segments I could recall from a 1982 trip to Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and New Brunswick, or all the segments I could recall from a 1991 trip to the Gator Bowl, etc. Focusing on a particular trip in that way helped because often logging one route would lead me to another located nearby.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 04:42:36 AM
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2022, 09:43:01 AM »

I may have to do some memory, it should be either 1 or 2 for me, despite there being not many roads numbered under 100 in Spain.

As a fun fact, I've been on roads numbered 3 in four different countries. Andorra is the only country I've been to but have never traveled a road numbered 3 (and is not impossible, as there's one).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ClassicHasClass

• 0-60 in 59.999997 years

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
    • Floodgap Roadgap
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2022, 11:52:10 AM »

TX NASA Road 1

Wow, I forgot about that one. I guess 1 wins it for me.

webny99

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2022, 11:42:12 AM »

webny99, I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I thought I might share some of my experiences and tips. ...

The comment indicator "#" is your friend.  Anything written after the "#" is ignored, so that you can use it for notations.  I like to use a line of them as a separator between groups, with a blank line as a secondary separator.

And I'm even more late replying, but I just want to say thanks for this tip - it has definitely come in handy as I work on compiling my list! I finished all of NY and all the interstates last night, now for the rest of the US and state routes!

Also - wondering if the mods would consider splitting the travel mapping discussion to a separate thread? It's been an interesting and helpful discussion and it would be good to have it located somewhere it could be found easily.

Kind of ironic that I ask this so soon after the discussion of thread merging and splitting the other day... but in any case it looks like everything from reply #23 could be split except replies 28, 31, 36-37.

NWI_Irish96

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 06:28:49 PM
    • Travel Mapping
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2022, 07:48:27 AM »

The most different highways of the same number I've been on is 9, with eleven different entries

9: US, CO, IL, IN, KY, ME, NH, OK, SC, VT, WA
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 59%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2022, 03:39:21 PM »

Now that my Travel Mapping is more or less complete, I appear to have a tie between 1 and 17, with seven different routes each:

1 - BC1, MB1, US1, DE1, MI1, MN1, CA1
17 - ON17, US17, NJ17, NY17, ND17, OH17, VT17

Honorable mentions are 5, 8-11, 15, and 30, with six different routes each.

Tarkus

• Last Login: March 17, 2022, 05:37:10 AM
    • SimCity 4 Devotion
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2022, 05:14:01 AM »

If counting ones I've driven on (not merely been a passenger) . . . all mine are tied at a mere two, including some strange ones: 6 (OR-6 and US-6), 10 (OR-10 and I-10), 82 (I-82 and CA-82), 97 (US-97 and I-97), 101 (US-101 and AZ-101), and 242 (OR-242 and CA-242 . . . both clinched).  I could also technically count 140 (OR-140 and NV-140), though they're the same road, and two different I-405s (OR and CA).

7/8

• Civil Engineer

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:17:48 PM
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2022, 11:11:41 PM »

I'm also on the 1 train according to travel mapping with a total of 16 highways.

AB 1, BC 1, DE 1, Estonia 1, Finland 1, Iceland 1, IN 1, MB 1, MB 1A, NB 1, NS 1, PE 1, PE 1A, SK 1, TX Loop 1, and US 1.

LilianaUwU

• :3

• Last Login: Today at 03:55:21 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2022, 11:24:50 PM »

My answer is 2: I've been on both New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island's highway 2.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SkyPesos

• I-80E to NYC, not Clarion, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc

• Last Login: Today at 06:22:36 AM
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2022, 07:34:20 PM »

Not sure if it's my highest, but I've been on a few Route 3's

US 3
GA 3
IL 3
IN 3
MA 3
NJ 3
OH 3
G3 (China)
Two more Route 3's from me over the past week: ME 3, PA 3 (Market St)

pderocco

• Two wrongs don't make a right--but three lefts do.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:20:42 AM
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2022, 03:00:56 AM »

Starting with low-numbered routes:

1: US, CA (2, those seem to be rare)

2: US (west), US (east), CA, MA, OH, RI, NY, WV (8)

3: US, CA, ME, MO, VA, WA (6, not counting MA-3, which is an extension of US-3)

4: US, I, CA, IL, MA, ME, WA (7)

5: US, I, CO, NY, PA, VA (6)

6: US, OR (2)

7: US, CA (2)

8: I, MA, NY, PA, UT (5)

9: US, CA, CO, DE, MA, ME, NH, UT, VT (9, not counting several NY alternates)

10: I, DE, MA, NH, OR, PA, WA (7)

11: US, I, CA, NH, NY, VT (6)

12: US, I, CA, MA, NH, PA, UT (6)

95: US, I, AZ (unrelated to US-95), NV (4)

99: BC, CA, OR, WA (formerly contiguous, but now separate), MA (5)

128: CA, CO, MA, MD, UT (5)

Well, that's an hour I'll never get back...

LilianaUwU

• :3

• Last Login: Today at 03:55:21 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2022, 03:18:08 AM »

With me using New Brunswick's route 132 to go from NB 11 SB to NB 15 EB, 132 joins 2 with the most routes with a certain number I was on, which is two routes each (QC & NB 132/NB & PE 2).
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

kirbykart

• I like MA 2.

• Last Login: December 22, 2023, 12:08:29 PM
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2022, 09:32:25 AM »

For me it would be 2.
US 2 (Eastern), NY 2, MA 2

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2022, 10:09:07 AM »

Using my own spreadsheet that combines my TM data with my own notes on unsigned routes (because those definitely count) and ignores duplicates as well as bannered routes if I've been on their parent, it looks like I have a three-way tie at nine:

7 - AL, AR, GA, KS, MO, NC, OR, TN, UT
14 - I, US, AL, AR, CO, GA, KS, SC, UT
30 - E, I, US, CO, FL, GA, MO, MS, UT

The highest number for which I have two is 759 - although those two are I-759 and AL 759, so one might dispute that...
...in which case it'd be 540 - I, GA.

Highest with three is 520 - I, GA, WA
Highest with four is 410 - I, GA, SC, WY
Highest with five is 280 - I, US, GA, TX spur, UT
Highest with six or seven is 77 - I, US, AL, AR, FL, GA, ID, UT
Highest with eight is 64 - I, US, AZ, CO, IL, MT, TN, UT

I now have a five-way tie at 9. In addition to 7, 14, and 30:

8 - I, AL, CO, FL, GA, LA, NC, TN, TX
16 - I, AL, CA, GA, MA, NC, TN, TX, UT

zachary_amaryllis

• Stop pouring stuff on my town.

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 04:29:23 PM
    • Blog of random weirdness
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2022, 10:22:02 AM »

Best I can do is 17 in 4 different places:
NJ 17
NY 17
US 17
CO 17
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.