AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Drive-thru's backing up onto streets  (Read 22009 times)

jmacswimmer

• BING BONG

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 04:24:20 PM
Re: Drive-thru's backing up onto streets
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2022, 11:58:22 AM »

My last visit to Chick Fil A was to the new one in Irondequoit, NY (you can see it under construction here), and that one has a setup I've never seen before: instead of merging and pulling up to a window to pick up your order, both lanes continue and you pull up under a roof, and your order gets brought out to you by the server through a set of double swing doors. So they could theoretically bring out multiple orders at once if there's a car in each lane (I was there in the morning, so the right lane was closed). I noticed on the sticker on the bag, in addition to my name, there was a description of my car in very large print. Now I wish I'd kept it, so I could share a picture of it here... the point being, of course, that they use the description of the car to help keep the orders straight. I haven't noticed if this is done at the restaurants with a normal pick up window, but I imagine it probably is - and I'll certainly think to notice it next time.

I once stopped at a new Chick-Fil-A in Wilson NC while passing thru on I-95, and it had the same "delivery" setup you note (and on top of that, this one has a separate tent setup for payment).  Which was great in that orders can be brought out as soon as they're ready, compared to the usual drive-thru setup where your order could be ready already, but it doesn't matter if the car in front of you is still waiting on something.

(Don't worry - as 1995hoo noted, I too made sure to embed Streetview due to the illustrious location!)

EDITED TO ADD: I'm also a fan of places that let you order ahead thru the app and bypass a long drive-thru line that way (Dunkin & Chick-Fil-A are 2 places I do this at).  At Dunkin I'll usually order "walk-in" and typically my order is already ready when I arrive, and at Chick-Fil-A there's usually designated parking spots for "curbside" orders.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 12:21:43 PM by jmacswimmer »
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

zachary_amaryllis

• Stop pouring stuff on my town.

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 04:29:23 PM
    • Blog of random weirdness
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2022, 01:30:01 PM »

What I find interesting about the Chick-Fil-A two-line ordering point coupled with a single-line pickup point is that it doesn't seem to cause order mixups. That is, it doesn't seem unreasonable to expect that there will be times when the cars leaving the ordering point don't necessarily alternate between lanes (perhaps one person had a much bigger order that took longer to place, perhaps one driver was an asshole who refused to take turns, who knows), but I don't generally hear anything about the wrong order being given to the wrong customer at the drive-thru.

Most of the McDonalds near me have dual ordering points in the drive-thru as well, and it sorts itself out when you pull up to pay.  I don't know if there's any kind of communication between the first and second window when the cars aren't in the same order as the orders, but I've never left with someone else's order, either.

I used to work at mcdonalds, and was the 'first window' guy. The sorting takes place at the first window. I'm watching a camera and noting what car ordered what in my head. When you get to the window, i'll ask something about your order 'you had the no pickles, extra onions?' if i'm not sure, to make sure i'm charging the right car. by the time you get to the second window, everything's in proper order, unless the 'second window' guy hands you the wrong bag, but they're generally placed in order.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2022, 03:00:45 PM »

EDITED TO ADD: I'm also a fan of places that let you order ahead thru the app and bypass a long drive-thru line that way (Dunkin & Chick-Fil-A are 2 places I do this at).  At Dunkin I'll usually order "walk-in" and typically my order is already ready when I arrive, and at Chick-Fil-A there's usually designated parking spots for "curbside" orders.

When I worked downtown and commuted on the Metrorail, I found the Starbucks app really useful for that purpose–I'd order my coffee (and sometimes a breakfast sandwich) when the train reached the stop before mine so that my order would be ready by the time I got there. The line was always insanely long, so being able to skip the line and then head across the street to the office was very nice. Only annoyance is that the app doesn't necessarily tell you if they run out of a particular food offering.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2022, 03:55:29 PM »

Birdcall >>>>>> Chick-Fil-A.  Too bad only in Arizona and Colorado currently.  And I feel much better spending my money there.

Never had it
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:00:22 PM
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2022, 03:57:31 PM »

Nom nom nom.

HighwayStar

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2022, 04:01:49 PM »

Nom nom nom.

Food looks fine, the restaurant interiors leave something to be desired.

JayhawkCO

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2022, 04:10:05 PM »

Never actually been in one.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 02:20:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2022, 05:04:03 PM »

When this happens at drive-thrus, the drive-thru restaurant should raise its prices until customer queues no longer back up onto public roads.

It's called congestion pricing.

That will never happen; the restaurant doesn't give a shit about whether their customers are in everyone's way.

Better option: the cops go down the line issuing everyone in the public road a ticket for obstructing traffic.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

coldshoulder

• Last Login: Today at 12:55:02 AM
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2022, 07:38:23 PM »

Here's a new Chick-Fil-A in northeastern Ohio that's being oriented in what appears to be backwards, but designed that way to accommodate the expected drive-thru traffic and stack-up, hopefully avoiding the on-street backlog.

https://www.wfmj.com/story/45933676/austintown-zoning-there-is-no-mistake-with-new-chickfila-design?fbclid=IwAR0Z-k6Wyb4LdRL0gaSjVZ9_gNzCIB3DlhzQHRn_j8kXjUNnEwly5cJRJus

You're just like crosstown traffic
All you do is slow me down
And I got better things on the other side of town

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2022, 11:32:26 PM »

Most fast food places here in Louisville are still drive thru only. I suspect that some will never reopen their dining rooms. (Fine by me).

We're finally getting some opened inside here in the Pittsburgh area for dine-in.

McDonald's was the first last year, but they've had a few times where they closed the inside for awhile again, and then reopened.  But as of today, they are open inside.

Taco Bell was the next to fully reopen inside, however, their hours aren't constant.  I've gone there once @ 12:30PM, and the inside is closed, but hitting them up another day at 5:30PM and they're open inside.  It's been hit and miss, but they've been getting my business as of late as long as they're open inside, as I rather be able to stretch my legs while sitting down and eating instead of having them cramped inside of the car.

Wendy's has (well, at least the one I can check) is 'partially' open inside.  You can go in and order, but you can't sit and eat inside yet.

Arby's is still drive-thru only.  However, I did run across one that was open inside in the South Hills of Pittsburgh one day, unlike my local one.  My local one also has the worst hours too.  They had been only open till 8PM for quite some time (c19 hours), but only recently, changed to 9PM (compared to Taco Bell being normally open till 11PM or later in the drive-thru just across the street).  This is a location that used to be open till 1AM (drive-thru) in the past.  Plus, my local Arby's HAD been the #1 store in Pittsburgh in sales.  Can't see that being the case anymore with their messed up hours, and sometimes slow service as of late.

My local Arby's has this problem.

A huge line of people wanting to go to Arby's sounds like the worst problem in this thread so far. :P

Well, with the dine-in closed, and only enough space for 7-8 cars from the ordering placement to the road, it can back up easily.  Plus it doesn't help when sometimes the crew wants to work on only 1-2 orders at a time, and refuse to take a new order, allowing people to backup to the main road, while leaving the back of the loop around the building empty to the pickup window.

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2022, 11:45:49 PM »

Here's a new Chick-Fil-A in northeastern Ohio that's being oriented in what appears to be backwards, but designed that way to accommodate the expected drive-thru traffic and stack-up, hopefully avoiding the on-street backlog.

https://www.wfmj.com/story/45933676/austintown-zoning-there-is-no-mistake-with-new-chickfila-design?fbclid=IwAR0Z-k6Wyb4LdRL0gaSjVZ9_gNzCIB3DlhzQHRn_j8kXjUNnEwly5cJRJus

The story would've been much better if they briefly showed the site plan for the building.  They talked with the zoning inspector, so the plans should've been available.

At the end of the story, it says you can visit their website for more information.  Which is the link above.  Which is just the video and typed script of what was on the video. No new information, like the site plan, is provided.

jeffandnicole

« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2022, 11:48:23 PM »

Birdcall >>>>>> Chick-Fil-A.  Too bad only in Arizona and Colorado currently.  And I feel much better spending my money there.

Because you thoroughly researched their financial statements and spending documents of their higher level employees and officials?  Or simply because there's been no mainstream, clickbait or social media stories about how they spend their money?

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2022, 11:49:57 PM »

Because you thoroughly researched their financial statements and spending documents of their higher level employees and officials?  Or simply because there's been no mainstream, clickbait or social media stories about how they spend their money?

Let's try to keep politics out of this, ok?

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2022, 10:30:48 AM »

EDITED TO ADD: I'm also a fan of places that let you order ahead thru the app and bypass a long drive-thru line that way (Dunkin & Chick-Fil-A are 2 places I do this at).

I do this all the time at a nearby Dunkin.  I've had occasions where it was the same car waiting at the drive thru window when I walked in to grab my order and and got back in my car.

As for the OP, there are two that come to mind.  First is the Starbucks at the corner of Snelling & Marshall in St. Paul, MN...this one would routinely back up traffic on Marshall and even sometimes spill onto Snelling.  They have since permanently closed their drive thru window.

The second is the Chik-Fil-A (notice a trend here?) at 14th & Maryland NE in DC.  Often spills out onto Maryland Ave and occasionally blocks the intersection.

JayhawkCO

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2022, 10:55:26 AM »

I know that they no longer give their money to groups to which I vehemently disagree. I also know that they did donate that money about ten years ago.  Dan Cathy was in charge then and he's in charge now. He has made no comments that I have seen that make me believe he has changed his stance.  That's a good enough reason for me not to go there when I have other choices that I like as well or better. Obviously they don't need my business anyway since they're listed so often here as extending out into streets. I will just continue to allocate my resources differently. (Hopefully that's politics-free enough for the mods. I tried to choose words carefully.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 10:57:37 AM by JayhawkCO »

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2022, 08:37:34 PM »

I don't hate CFA, but neither am I a huge fanboy. I find the food to be pricey for the amount you get, and I've actually gotten to where I like Zaxby's or Cane's better -- and Lee's Famous Recipe rules over all.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:52:44 PM
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2022, 12:24:11 AM »

I'll snap a picture of the signs soon-ish, driving during tomorrow/Thursday's icy weather doesn't sound appealing.
It appears that I do not have a photo of the signs, though I could have sworn I took one. I am very unorganized with my photos, so who knows.
The signs of the overflow route no longer exist. Instead of having a picture of my own, here is the local news article that contains a video of:
-An example of traffic backed up on to Sunshine
-The signs, as well as a portable VMS telling drivers to not stop on Sunshine.
link
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 12:28:50 AM by ozarkman417 »

jeffandnicole

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2022, 09:05:17 AM »

I know that they no longer give their money to groups to which I vehemently disagree. I also know that they did donate that money about ten years ago.  Dan Cathy was in charge then and he's in charge now. He has made no comments that I have seen that make me believe he has changed his stance.  That's a good enough reason for me not to go there when I have other choices that I like as well or better. Obviously they don't need my business anyway since they're listed so often here as extending out into streets. I will just continue to allocate my resources differently. (Hopefully that's politics-free enough for the mods. I tried to choose words carefully.)

You may have chosen your words carefully regarding politics, but you didn't choose your words carefully about actually answering the question, which was have you researched the places you do go to to see where their money is spent?

JayhawkCO

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2022, 09:47:52 AM »

You may have chosen your words carefully regarding politics, but you didn't choose your words carefully about actually answering the question, which was have you researched the places you do go to to see where their money is spent?

Obviously not every store, but I do my best to stay informed, yes. I have several causes that are important to me and I research the places that give money to the other side and/or advocate thusly.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:51:37 PM
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2022, 11:52:43 PM »

A company has to get pretty out there politically before I'll go out of my way to avoid them, especially if they have a product and/or service that's really good.  What am I gonna do? Not get gas at any brand that's ever had an oil spill? Good luck!  It's gonna be a long time before the kind of electric vehicle I would like finally exists, so shrug-a-lug.  (That vehicle?  Mid-sized, two-door extended cab pickup truck.  Not four door; not full-sized; and 4WD of course; it is a pick-up.  First one to market with an eRanger, eTacoma, eColorado, or whatever gets my business.)

Some 10 years ago, they started opening a few Sonics in Wisconsin and for some reason, people went ape-shit over them.  They had ridiculous lines that I'm sure looked absurd to the rest of the country that was intimately familiar with the fast food mediocrity that is Sonic.  Never underestimate the appeal of novelty, I guess.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:11:46 PM
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2022, 12:26:51 AM »

A company has to get pretty out there politically before I'll go out of my way to avoid them, especially if they have a product and/or service that's really good.  What am I gonna do? Not get gas at any brand that's ever had an oil spill? Good luck!  It's gonna be a long time before the kind of electric vehicle I would like finally exists, so shrug-a-lug.  (That vehicle?  Mid-sized, two-door extended cab pickup truck.  Not four door; not full-sized; and 4WD of course; it is a pick-up.  First one to market with an eRanger, eTacoma, eColorado, or whatever gets my business.)

Some 10 years ago, they started opening a few Sonics in Wisconsin and for some reason, people went ape-shit over them.  They had ridiculous lines that I'm sure looked absurd to the rest of the country that was intimately familiar with the fast food mediocrity that is Sonic.  Never underestimate the appeal of novelty, I guess.

Same thing happened in CT when they opened the first one.  People waited up to 2 hours in line to go.  Then a couple more opened, and the novelty kind of wore off.  One even closed, but was resurrected a year later thank to the pandemic and people eating in cars rather than in dining rooms.  But don't even get me started on the Krispy Kreme Kraze that arose when they opened 2 locations.  The line stretched for about a mile down the road and required local police to set up a traffic detail.  3 years later, both locations closed, and the only Krispy Kreme left in all of New England is in Mohegan Sun casino. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

skluth

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 03:35:22 PM
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2022, 12:06:48 PM »

Same thing happened in CT when they opened the first one.  People waited up to 2 hours in line to go.  Then a couple more opened, and the novelty kind of wore off.  One even closed, but was resurrected a year later thank to the pandemic and people eating in cars rather than in dining rooms.  But don't even get me started on the Krispy Kreme Kraze that arose when they opened 2 locations.  The line stretched for about a mile down the road and required local police to set up a traffic detail.  3 years later, both locations closed, and the only Krispy Kreme left in all of New England is in Mohegan Sun casino.
Krispy Kreme is another of those chains whose reputation exceeds the quality of their product. Their donuts are fine, but they're no better than the thousands of local bakeries across the country. I'd rather support the small, locally-owned shops that are often family-run. Yet I've also seen huge lines when the first ones opened in St Louis and the same happened when the first one in the Coachella Valley opened recently.

HighwayStar

« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2022, 02:16:36 PM »

Krispy Kreme is another of those chains whose reputation exceeds the quality of their product. Their donuts are fine, but they're no better than the thousands of local bakeries across the country. I'd rather support the small, locally-owned shops that are often family-run. Yet I've also seen huge lines when the first ones opened in St Louis and the same happened when the first one in the Coachella Valley opened recently.

But when I go to Krispy Kreme, no matter what place I am in, I know what the product is. I don't know that with Joe Blow Bakery. I don't know what they have or if its any good.
Nor am I sure there is anything intrinsically good about "small, locally-owned shops" that are "family run." Certainly not enough to make me want to go find one.

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:05:19 PM
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2022, 03:06:17 PM »

Take a risk!  See the world!  Regardless, Krispy Kreme isn't very good so pretty much any local bakery is going to be better. 

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 06:55:38 AM
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2022, 03:06:42 PM »

But when I go to Krispy Kreme, no matter what place I am in, I know what the product is. I don't know that with Joe Blow Bakery. I don't know what they have or if its any good.
Nor am I sure there is anything intrinsically good about "small, locally-owned shops" that are "family run." Certainly not enough to make me want to go find one.
This is what Yelp is for.

Anyone who would intentionally choose Krispy Kreme over the likes of Dinkel's or Weber's in Chicago or Long's in Indianapolis or La Fiorentina in Springfield, MA (etc.)...would be hard not to be called an idiot.

Then again, half this country prefers expected mediocrity instead of pursuing something better out of fear that things'll be worse (usually stoked by those with a financial stake in mediocrity), so I suppose the mentality expressed is unsurprising.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.