AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Highway 1  (Read 7748 times)

gonealookin

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:41:16 PM
Re: Highway 1
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2022, 02:20:54 PM »

Nevada's SR 1 was US 40.  US 40 had already been designated when Nevada decided to give highways official state numbering, at least on its maps (there may have been an official designation earlier).  The US 40/NV 1 designation appears on the state's 1929 highway map.  With the 1939 map, the NV 1 designation is removed and the highway is designated only US 40.

That road, more or less paralleling the Transcontinental Railroad, was probably the most important long distance route in the state when designated, particularly since Las Vegas wasn't a population center.  Most of the other major long distance route, US 50, was designated NV 2 for that same time period.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 02:26:48 PM by gonealookin »

paulthemapguy

• nobody asked me

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:49:08 AM
    • Paul Across America
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2022, 02:29:54 PM »

Illinois 1 is the longest route in the state, so you could definitely argue its deserving of the number 1.  It runs north-south along the eastern edge of the state from Chicago to Cave-in-Rock. 

Indiana 1 at the very least represents its state highway numbering system, which mirrors that of the US highway numbering system; north-south routes are odd numbers that increase as you go west, and east-west routes are even numbers that increase as you go south.  It's a long north-south route in the eastern part of the state.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now w/Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

KeithE4Phx

• Last Login: Today at 12:08:38 AM
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2022, 02:35:58 PM »

No Highway 1 at any level in Arizona, with the possible exception of Reservation "Indian Routes," many of which are not signed in the field.  Most non-Interstate highway numbers are greater than 60.  AZ 24 and the future AZ 30 are the only exceptions that I can think of.  AFAIK, the only single-digit county highway is Coconino CR 3, which was the former NFH 3 south of Flagstaff.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:05:19 PM
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2022, 02:36:03 PM »

No Highway 1 in Wisconsin. I think it should be the expressway portion of WI-29 between I-94 and I-41 leaving two WI-29s at either end.
I always thought it interesting that there are no single digit state routes in Wisconsin. Only US 2 and US 8.
I thought so there would be no elite status for any highway.

When numbers were introduced they just numbered them longest to shortest. All two digits perhaps because it lead to more consistent signage.

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2022, 03:04:25 PM »

No Highway 1 in Wisconsin. I think it should be the expressway portion of WI-29 between I-94 and I-41 leaving two WI-29s at either end.

The lowest state numbered highway in Wisconsin is WI 11, a relatively minor east-west road across the far southern part of the state.

The lowest numbered US highway in Wisconsin (US 2, especially the western section) has some parts with AADTs in the double digits - hardly worthy of upgrading to a full interstate.

As for WI 29. I consider it most likely that if the road is ever 'promoted', it will most likely to become something like an eastward extension of 'US 212'.

Mike

bassoon1986

• Finish I-49 north in LA!

• Last Login: October 06, 2023, 09:24:17 AM
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2022, 12:28:19 AM »

Louisiana’s 1 is close to representative of the state although it doesn’t go through Baton Rouge (close!) or New Orleans. It’s the longest route of any type in the state and goes from the LA/TX/AR tri-point all the way to Grand Isle in the Gulf (although this must look pretty terrible right now after it got destroyed by Hurricane Ida last year).

It’s the main thoroughfare through Shreveport, Natchitoches, and Alexandria (somewhat). Natchitoches is the oldest settlement in all of the Louisiana Purchase (1714). LA 1 also goes though some other decent sized cities, some very Louisiana in character- Marksville, New Roads, Port Allen, Donaldsonville, Thibodaux.

iPhone

J N Winkler

• Last Login: Today at 02:48:46 AM
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2022, 12:47:36 AM »

In Kansas, K-1 is a short connector from US 160/US 183 just south of Coldwater to the Oklahoma state line, where it becomes SH 34.  It was originally much longer, but much of the mileage later became part of US 183.

In New Mexico, NM 1 was the original number from 1912 for what later became US 85.  It has since been revived for a segment of former US 85 between Truth and Consequences and Soccoro that was bypassed by I-25.  This allows NMDOT to avoid posting US 85 anywhere in New Mexico.  The original NM 1 followed El Camino Real, which was the most important north-south overland route in territorial days, and may have been the longest state highway numbered in 1912.  (I've never run across a document that states explicitly that routes were numbered from longest to shortest, but NM 2 and NM 3 were also very long.)

Texas has several Route 1s--NASA 1 and Ranch Road 1--but has not had a SH 1 since 1952.  Formally it is now a vest-pocket designation held by the Texas Transportation Commission and the TxDOT director, but it has effectively been retired.  At its greatest extent, SH 1 ran diagonally from El Paso to Texarkana, so it was a worthy Route 1.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 12:59:24 AM by J N Winkler »
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Hot Rod Hootenanny

• If I wasn't there, your roadmeet didn't occur

• Last Login: Today at 12:36:32 AM
    • 20th Century roadfan material
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2022, 12:05:54 PM »

Louisiana’s 1 is close to representative of the state although it doesn’t go through Baton Rouge (close!) or New Orleans. It’s the longest route of any type in the state and goes from the LA/TX/AR tri-point all the way to Grand Isle in the Gulf (although this must look pretty terrible right now after it got destroyed by Hurricane Ida last year).

It’s the main thoroughfare through Shreveport, Natchitoches, and Alexandria (somewhat). Natchitoches is the oldest settlement in all of the Louisiana Purchase (1714). LA 1 also goes though some other decent sized cities, some very Louisiana in character- Marksville, New Roads, Port Allen, Donaldsonville, Thibodaux.

iPhone

Didn't LA 1 go through New Orleans (and end at Buras-Boothville) in a previous life?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

cwf1701

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:06:49 PM
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2022, 02:27:30 PM »

Alabama 1 is a unsigned multiplex with US-431 from the AL/TN line to Dothan.

US 89

• Your friendly neighborhood meteorologist

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 09:23:28 AM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2022, 03:45:55 PM »

Right across the border from Georgia 1, which serves the exact same purpose except on US 27 and it's signed.

bassoon1986

• Finish I-49 north in LA!

• Last Login: October 06, 2023, 09:24:17 AM
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2022, 03:53:49 PM »

iPhone

Didn't LA 1 go through New Orleans (and end at Buras-Boothville) in a previous life?
Yes! I didn’t even think of that. The old Jefferson Highway. That was probably the best representation. The coast to New Orleans, following the old river road to Baton Rouge, old alignments of Current US  71 past Alexandria before snaking over from Natchitoches to Mansfield and then to Shreveport where it hopped on the Dixie Overland Highway into Texas.

iPhone

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:29 AM
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2022, 04:07:08 PM »

Minnesota's original Constitutional Route 1 was (well, still is, but unsigned for ~90 years) similarly a good cross-section of eastern Minnesota starting at the Iowa border south of Albert Lea, running north through farmland to the Twin Cities, eastern forests, brushing the St. Louis River Valley, Duluth and Lake Superior's North Shore. It roughly correlates to I-35 and MN 61 today, with pieces of other routes like MN 23 in Sandstone and MN 210/MN 45 through Carlton included.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2022, 04:45:02 PM »

If the designation as the first numerical highway is representative of anything, KY 1 certainly doesn't count. The southern portion of it is a rural route through Carter and Lawrence counties. It ends at KY 3, which is an old alignment of US 23, meaning that it could theoretically have been a through route between the county seats of Louisa and Grayson. The portion between Grayson and Greenup has been supplanted as the primary route by I-64 and the new KY 67 (Industrial Parkway).

What's more, KY 1 isn't even the state's easternmost north-south route. The entireties of both KY 3 and KY 5 are east of KY 1. The most important easternmost Kentucky state route, end to end, is probably KY 15, and the westernmost 45 or so miles have been replaced for through traffic by the Mountain Parkway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

RG407

• Last Login: March 10, 2024, 11:38:30 PM
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2022, 09:22:53 PM »

I'd say Florida SR A1A (formerly SR 1) is for the most part very representative of Florida.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 09:57:07 PM by RG407 »

thspfc

• Last Login: Today at 12:25:00 AM
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2022, 09:48:41 PM »

For WI-1 I nominate US-151 between I-39/90/94 and US-14 in Madison. 151 would just be rerouted onto the freeways bypassing the city.

ran4sh

• US 30 - one of my most traveled US routes

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:43:25 PM
    • YouTube - mostly my Cities:Skylines live streams
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2022, 11:35:35 PM »

And past the end of US 431, AL 1 continues on US 231 to the FL line
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

achilles765

• Interstate 14 should connect Austin and Houston

• Last Login: Today at 04:10:18 AM
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2022, 03:16:29 AM »

I see someone already mentioned LA 1..which I always enjoyed when I lived in Louisiana...it's the longest state highway, goes from the far Northwest corner down to the gulf...just barely missing thee capital and largest cities....but very much hitting tons of "Louisiana" towns.

I am actually kind of disappointed that we don't have an actual SH 1 here in Texas... Nasa Road 1 doesn't really count--the closest we actually have are Loop 1 in Austin, and RM 1...but that's a secondary. 
I think a good SH 1 would be a renumber of SH 6 and Sh 16...from Galveston up to the OK BORDER...or just a renumber of SH 16
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Tom958

• Last Login: Today at 05:42:06 AM
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2022, 06:14:47 AM »

Georgia's is just a largely-signed concurrency with US 27 (yawn), which never was an especially important link in the state's highway network. Savannah to Chattanooga via Macon and Atlanta would've made more sense. 

US 89

• Utah Highways
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2022, 01:45:19 PM »

Georgia's is just a largely-signed concurrency with US 27 (yawn), which never was an especially important link in the state's highway network. Savannah to Chattanooga via Macon and Atlanta would've made more sense. 

Eh, it does make some sense - most of GA's low numbers are on fairly major through routes and tend to follow a rough grid system where N/S routes are odd numbers increasing to the east and E/W routes are evens increasing to the south. US 27 is the westernmost major N/S corridor in the state.

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2022, 05:24:24 PM »

US 1 is fine for a US highway passing through, but it really should take it's od route through Boston and not tag along I-93.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:59:29 PM
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2022, 06:20:36 PM »

US 1 is fine for a US highway passing through, but it really should take it's od route through Boston and not tag along I-93.

Typically US routes take the quickest and most efficient route from one place along them to another.  If that route happens to be duplexed with an interstate, so be it.

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2022, 06:48:48 PM »

Typically US routes take the quickest and most efficient route from one place along them to another.  If that route happens to be duplexed with an interstate, so be it.
If that was the case US 1 would just be I-95.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 89

• Utah Highways
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2022, 06:49:03 PM »

This is generally not true in a lot of eastern states. Have fun telling anyone US 41 or US 17 is the most efficient route between any two Georgia cities more than a few miles apart along them. Or US 11 anywhere south of Harrisburg. Out here US highways generally stay on the old routes that got bypassed by parallel interstates.

Some states do tend to move more US routes onto interstates than others. AL and NC come to mind in that regard. But I think there's only one I/US concurrency in the entire state of Georgia, for example, and that's there because I-20 got built more or less right on top of US 278 between Conyers and Covington.

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2022, 06:54:18 PM »

Duplexing is stupid since you don't get any benefit from calling the same piece of road several names. Its better to have the US system as a distinct set of roads so that continuous alternate routing to an interstate exist in the event of closure, etc.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kkt

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:59:29 PM
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2022, 12:43:38 AM »

Duplexing is stupid since you don't get any benefit from calling the same piece of road several names. Its better to have the US system as a distinct set of roads so that continuous alternate routing to an interstate exist in the event of closure, etc.

You get the guidance that you are on an efficient route to your destination, which is what the route signs are for.

I like what they did with US 395 south of Reno, where I-580 was built parallel:  I-580 was signed along with US 395 on the freeway, and the old surface route was signed Alt 395.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.