AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Highway 1  (Read 7746 times)

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
Re: Highway 1
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2022, 01:22:03 AM »

US 1 is fine for a US highway passing through, but it really should take it's od route through Boston and not tag along I-93.

Typically US routes take the quickest and most efficient route from one place along them to another.  If that route happens to be duplexed with an interstate, so be it.

Duplexing is stupid since you don't get any benefit from calling the same piece of road several names. Its better to have the US system as a distinct set of roads so that continuous alternate routing to an interstate exist in the event of closure, etc.

You get the guidance that you are on an efficient route to your destination, which is what the route signs are for.

I like what they did with US 395 south of Reno, where I-580 was built parallel:  I-580 was signed along with US 395 on the freeway, and the old surface route was signed Alt 395.

You already have that with the Interstate. At that point the US route provides no value whatsoever.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 08:21:22 PM
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2022, 01:35:35 AM »

US 1 is fine for a US highway passing through, but it really should take it's od route through Boston and not tag along I-93.

Typically US routes take the quickest and most efficient route from one place along them to another.  If that route happens to be duplexed with an interstate, so be it.

Duplexing is stupid since you don't get any benefit from calling the same piece of road several names. Its better to have the US system as a distinct set of roads so that continuous alternate routing to an interstate exist in the event of closure, etc.

You get the guidance that you are on an efficient route to your destination, which is what the route signs are for.

I like what they did with US 395 south of Reno, where I-580 was built parallel:  I-580 was signed along with US 395 on the freeway, and the old surface route was signed Alt 395.

You already have that with the Interstate. At that point the US route provides no value whatsoever.

Sure it has value.  Drivers know if they just stay on US 395 they'll pass through Reno in a reasonably efficient way and eventually get to Pendleton.

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2022, 01:38:43 AM »

Sure it has value.  Drivers know if they just stay on US 395 they'll pass through Reno in a reasonably efficient way and eventually get to Pendleton.

Why not sign that when you leave the interstate? There is no point having two shields on the same piece of road, it does nothing to add capacity.
If on the other hand you sign a second route then you know that this road is distinct from the interstate through, so  you can doge construction, traffic, etc. If an evacuation is needed both routes can carry traffic, or the US route can be the backup for a contra flow setup.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

bing101

• Last Login: Today at 01:54:25 PM
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2022, 05:02:37 AM »

CA-1 is the most notable of all it goes from Wllits to Laguna Beach and it's scenic from San Mateo county to Malibu.

kkt

• Last Login: Today at 08:21:22 PM
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2022, 03:37:23 PM »

CA-1 is the most notable of all it goes from Wllits to Laguna Beach and it's scenic from San Mateo county to Malibu.

Willits?  Willits is on US 101, not CA 1.  North end of CA 1 is at Leggett.  And it's very scenic from Marin County to Leggett too.

Wish I was there now.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 09:57:10 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2022, 03:41:17 PM »

Willits?  Willits is on US 101, not CA 1.  North end of CA 1 is at Leggett.  And it's very scenic from Marin County to Leggett too.

Wish I was there now.

Don’t you mean, what you talking about Willits?

Anyways, Leggett is just the start of a long story with CA 1 and it’s north terminus.  It was supposed to be up in Fernbridge but the highway was never constructed in the Lost Coast.  The segment of current CA 1 from Rockport to Leggett was always more or less a interim solution for the Lost Coast.  It actually was even for a time assigned Legislatively as part of CA 208.

To your point I would argue CA 1 north of the Golden Gate Bridge is highly scenic.  In numerous spots it can even rival the likes of what you’d see with the terrain in Big Sur.

Bickendan

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 08:02:51 PM
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2022, 12:41:16 AM »

In Oregon, I-5 *is* Hwy 1.
Literally.

zachary_amaryllis

• Stop pouring stuff on my town.

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 04:29:23 PM
    • Blog of random weirdness
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2022, 03:08:10 AM »

Wish I was there now.

Don’t you mean, what you talking about Willits?

Anyways, Leggett is just the start of a long story with CA 1 and it’s north terminus.  It was supposed to be up in Fernbridge but the highway was never constructed in the Lost Coast.  The segment of current CA 1 from Rockport to Leggett was always more or less a interim solution for the Lost Coast.  It actually was even for a time assigned Legislatively as part of CA 208.

To your point I would argue CA 1 north of the Golden Gate Bridge is highly scenic.  In numerous spots it can even rival the likes of what you’d see with the terrain in Big Sur.

ca's highway 1 would be an example, to me, of this road truly representing its state. yeah, there's a lot more to california than the coast, but that's what it's famous for.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

dvferyance

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 02:32:51 PM
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2022, 06:54:10 PM »

My state does not have a Hwy 1. I will mention Missouri's since it is the one left in the midwest that has yet to be mentioned. Unlike other midwestern states like Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois and Indiana it is very short only 7 miles running though the KC area.

wxfree

• Last Login: February 22, 2024, 08:08:16 PM
« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2022, 01:21:09 AM »

In Kansas, K-1 is a short connector from US 160/US 183 just south of Coldwater to the Oklahoma state line, where it becomes SH 34.  It was originally much longer, but much of the mileage later became part of US 183.

In New Mexico, NM 1 was the original number from 1912 for what later became US 85.  It has since been revived for a segment of former US 85 between Truth and Consequences and Soccoro that was bypassed by I-25.  This allows NMDOT to avoid posting US 85 anywhere in New Mexico.  The original NM 1 followed El Camino Real, which was the most important north-south overland route in territorial days, and may have been the longest state highway numbered in 1912.  (I've never run across a document that states explicitly that routes were numbered from longest to shortest, but NM 2 and NM 3 were also very long.)

Texas has several Route 1s--NASA 1 and Ranch Road 1--but has not had a SH 1 since 1952.  Formally it is now a vest-pocket designation held by the Texas Transportation Commission and the TxDOT director, but it has effectively been retired.  At its greatest extent, SH 1 ran diagonally from El Paso to Texarkana, so it was a worthy Route 1.

The I-10, I-20, I-30 routing was worthy of the designation.  But I have an idea for a modern SH 1 in Texas.  It runs along existing highways, avoiding Interstates as much as possible.  It runs from the New Mexico line along TX 20, joining the Interstate when TX 20 ends, to Marfa, Presidio, Study Butte, Alpine, and then east to San Antonio, to Corpus Christi, as close to the coast as possible on existing highways to Galveston, over the ferry, to Orange, along TX 87 and then US 96 and 59 to Texarkana, along I-30 to Dallas and Fort Worth, and then along US 287 to Amarillo and Dumas, and US 87 to New Mexico.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

kenarmy

• Last Login: Today at 11:37:54 AM
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2022, 03:08:01 AM »

MS 1:Travelling on this outside of Greenville is a slog. It makes sense as it is pretty much the westernmost highway in the state. MS has some weird system where numbers go from 1-25, then they restart or something.. I think MS 15 or 25 would be more fitting to have the number though.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2022, 12:15:46 PM »

I would say so. M-1 is Woodward Avenue which is the main street in Detroit and SE Michigan pretty much. It's only about 20 miles long but it's a pretty important highway.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 09:57:10 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2022, 12:18:20 PM »

I would say so. M-1 is Woodward Avenue which is the main street in Detroit and SE Michigan pretty much. It's only about 20 miles long but it's a pretty important highway.

It certainly gets a pass on being “M-1”  in my book given the huge historic significance tied to Woodward Avenue.

Flint1979

• Last Login: Today at 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2022, 12:23:33 PM »

It certainly gets a pass on being “M-1”  in my book given the huge historic significance tied to Woodward Avenue.
I couldn't think of any other highway that could be M-1 other than Woodward. It fits it perfectly.

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

• Last Login: Today at 08:05:19 PM
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2022, 03:08:43 PM »

For WI-1 I nominate US-151 between I-39/90/94 and US-14 in Madison. 151 would just be rerouted onto the freeways bypassing the city.

That's actually a really good idea.

Road Hog

• Last Login: Today at 08:43:44 PM
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2022, 08:02:32 PM »

I posted on another thread about AR Highway 1, which runs north-south in the Arkansas Delta. Its importance as an interconnector has been subsumed by US 49 / 63 to a great deal. The original AR 1 ran along the top of Crowley's Ridge and the successor highways are actually as scenic as you'll find east of US 67.

MASTERNC

• Last Login: Today at 05:10:31 PM
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2022, 03:29:38 PM »

DE 1 goes from the Maryland border around Ocean City through the major resort towns, then heads up to Dover (state capital) and ends at I-95 near Wilmington.  It is part highway, part toll road, part divided rural road and part suburban road.  It also interacts frequently with US 13 (which people use to access the eastern shore of Maryland & Virginia) and US 301.

US 1 bypasses Delaware altogether, so there is little confusion with this route.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: Today at 03:51:37 PM
« Reply #67 on: March 25, 2022, 03:18:04 PM »

Tennessee's SR 1 is very much in the spirit of being the 'most important' route in the state.  Entirely subsumed by US routes, it nevertheless is the official designation for the pre-interstate route from Memphis to Nashville to Knoxville to Bristol.  It hits almost all of the state's major population centers and is by far the longest route in the state.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: Today at 04:15:45 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2022, 02:30:35 PM »

Tennessee's SR 1 is very much in the spirit of being the 'most important' route in the state.  Entirely subsumed by US routes, it nevertheless is the official designation for the pre-interstate route from Memphis to Nashville to Knoxville to Bristol.  It hits almost all of the state's major population centers and is by far the longest route in the state.

Not quite. There is a section of TN 1 that is not concurrent with a US route. It's near Sparta, where US 70S was routed onto TN 111 to meet up with US 70 instead of running on the old route into downtown.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

skluth

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 03:35:22 PM
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2022, 04:19:38 PM »

For WI-1 I nominate US-151 between I-39/90/94 and US-14 in Madison. 151 would just be rerouted onto the freeways bypassing the city.

That's actually a really good idea.
I guess since Wisconsin doesn't care for single digit state routes, that would work. I'd prefer WI 1 replacing WI 35, a Lake Michigan route combo of WI 57/42/32, or WI 29 in that order. But I wouldn't lose sleep if the Washington, John Nolan, Park corridor were made WI 1. Maybe WI 35 could be WI 3, the Lake route could be WI 5, and WI 29 could be WI 9.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: Today at 03:51:37 PM
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2022, 05:40:57 PM »

Not quite. There is a section of TN 1 that is not concurrent with a US route. It's near Sparta, where US 70S was routed onto TN 111 to meet up with US 70 instead of running on the old route into downtown.

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

StarlightRunner

• OSMapper

• Last Login: May 08, 2022, 05:57:57 PM
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2022, 06:35:45 PM »

For New Jersey, I'd like to highlight NJ-29, a riverside "America's Byways" road, which opens up into the state's I-195 for its final stretch (save a swing by capitol's baseball stadium).

A less scenic alternative is NJ-70, a highly-developed trunk road that takes you from Camden to the edge of the Jersey Shore.
Mapping the glittering highway, one lane at a time.

Georgia

• Last Login: Today at 09:07:47 AM
« Reply #72 on: April 18, 2022, 11:01:27 PM »

MS 1:Travelling on this outside of Greenville is a slog. It makes sense as it is pretty much the westernmost highway in the state. MS has some weird system where numbers go from 1-25, then they restart or something.. I think MS 15 or 25 would be more fitting to have the number though.

MS-1 is fine if you want to have a peaceful rural drive through and arent in a hurry to get to say, Greenville or Vicksburg.

DJ Particle

• RIAAcidal Woomy

• Last Login: October 20, 2022, 12:10:55 AM
    • DJ Particle
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2022, 03:00:35 AM »

If I were to nominate an important "MA-1", I'd start with the entireties of MA-2, MA-3A south of Boston, and MA-6A, and connect as needed.

Mapmikey

• Co-curator with Froggie of www.vahighways.com

• Last Login: Today at 08:31:54 PM
    • Co-curator Virginia Highways Project
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2022, 08:43:50 AM »

TN 1 has 3 segments without a US route:

In addition to Sparta, its west end in Memphis is without a US route.  This segment is somewhat posted.

Also, its routing on State St in Bristol carries no US routing anymore.  Not posted as best I can tell.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.