AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Center Parking  (Read 5171 times)

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
Re: Center Parking
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2022, 11:12:25 AM »

They could have put a nice 4 lane freeway though there instead.

Adjacent 15th Avenue would be the one to upgrade, not 14th. It crosses the river, and it already has interchanges.

Even better, do both and have a 6 lane freeway with Texas U turn frontage roads.

15th was originally planned and partially built as a freeway (notice the interchanges south of the ship canal), but it was shot down alongside most other Seattle freeways in the 1970s.

There is not enough traffic in the area to warrant any free flow roadways.

Let me get this straight. It was needed as a freeway 50 years ago, was shot down by CAVE people, and despite the vast increase in both population and traffic in Seattle since then there is not enough traffic to warrant it? Sounds like double think to me.

Seattle desperately needs more freeways, I say build it now!
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:32:08 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2022, 12:20:36 PM »

Adjacent 15th Avenue would be the one to upgrade, not 14th. It crosses the river, and it already has interchanges.

Even better, do both and have a 6 lane freeway with Texas U turn frontage roads.

15th was originally planned and partially built as a freeway (notice the interchanges south of the ship canal), but it was shot down alongside most other Seattle freeways in the 1970s.

Let me get this straight. It was needed as a freeway 50 years ago, was shot down by CAVE people, and despite the vast increase in both population and traffic in Seattle since then there is not enough traffic to warrant it? Sounds like double think to me.

We don't need it. Its justification was questionable in the 1950s/1960s (which is why it was never seriously proposed, only in long term plans) and it definitely doesn't pan out today. Ballard is instead getting a grade-separated light rail line that will be able to carry as many commuters with a miniscule impact.

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2022, 12:31:27 PM »

We don't need it. Its justification was questionable in the 1950s/1960s (which is why it was never seriously proposed, only in long term plans) and it definitely doesn't pan out today. Ballard is instead getting a grade-separated light rail line that will be able to carry as many commuters with a miniscule impact.

A rail line that can stuff people into boxcars like cattle is not equivalent to a highway that can carry them in the comfort of their own automobiles.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2022, 12:35:11 PM »

The existing rail line seems to be a significant walk from much of the area. Are they planning on anything that's closer to the center and not on the water?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

tradephoric

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:18:58 AM
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2022, 01:55:23 PM »

Here is a shot of the median along Woodward in Ferndale, Michigan in the 1930s,1957, and 2011. 

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:32:08 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2022, 12:59:56 AM »

The existing rail line seems to be a significant walk from much of the area. Are they planning on anything that's closer to the center and not on the water?

Not sure what you're looking at, but the general plan is to build a new line from Westlake Station to Ballard by following 15th Avenue West (or a few blocks west along the BNSF railyard).

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:09:51 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2022, 01:18:10 AM »

Not sure what you're looking at, but the general plan is to build a new line from Westlake Station to Ballard by following 15th Avenue West (or a few blocks west along the BNSF railyard).

Last I saw, Sound Transit was still considering a station along 14th.

KCRoadFan

• Enthusiastic fan of roads, sports, and waterparks.

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:21 AM
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2022, 10:09:59 PM »

When I saw this thread, it reminded me of the courthouse square in Clinton, MO.

jjakucyk

• Last Login: January 03, 2024, 12:07:28 PM
    • Cincinnati Traction History
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2022, 03:41:09 PM »

Here's a great example from Denmark of all places.  The median is the only place parking is allowed.  Excellent traffic calming all around. 

https://goo.gl/maps/Qd35zs2genw5YrqV7

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.