AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Overlaps of unnumbered roads  (Read 1487 times)

webny99

• Last Login: Today at 12:57:15 AM
Overlaps of unnumbered roads
« on: March 31, 2022, 12:41:59 PM »

This came up in another thread, and I thought it might make for an interesting thread of its own. In Pittsford, NY, Tobey Rd and Stone Rd have a short overlap, but both roads are unnumbered. Do you know of any other examples where two named, but unnumbered roads overlap with each other?

That reminds me of this intersection, where Tobey Rd makes a left turn and has a short overlap with Stone Rd. Not often you see two road names overlap when neither road is numbered.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
Re: Overlaps of unnumbered roads
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2022, 12:44:34 PM »

I know this is a duplicate, but I can't find it. The other thread specifically wanted longer examples, though.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2022, 12:55:12 PM »

As I asked in the original thread:  are they officially overlapped (i.e. both have legal definitions that include the same stretch), or is there just signage for both for the sake of continuity?  I have a feeling the latter is way more common in these situations, meaning the supposed overlap officially has only one name.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 01:20:46 PM »

As I asked in the original thread:  are they officially overlapped (i.e. both have legal definitions that include the same stretch), or is there just signage for both for the sake of continuity?  I have a feeling the latter is way more common in these situations, meaning the supposed overlap officially has only one name.

For this particular case, I'm not sure what it is officially nor how to find out.

However, based on the mast arm signage (which has no mention of Stone Rd in the direction of the overlap), I suspect it's officially known as only Tobey Rd.

kurumi

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:06:26 PM
    • kurumi.com
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2022, 08:32:20 PM »

For this particular case, I'm not sure what it is officially nor how to find out.

However, based on the mast arm signage (which has no mention of Stone Rd in the direction of the overlap), I suspect it's officially known as only Tobey Rd.
https://www.dot.ny.gov/highway-data-services/lhi-local-roads
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2022, 10:26:52 PM »

Interesting resource, thanks. Found what was I looking for on pg 187 of the Monroe County file. Surprisingly, the overlap is "officially" Stone Rd, but the corresponding 0.09 mile segment for Tobey Rd shows an blank start point and endpoint of NY 65, so we're no closer to an answer there.

Wikipedia offers a little additional insight - unsigned CR 62 (Tobey Rd) is split in two and does not include the overlap in the mileage. Google Maps, for their part, has CR 62 marked on the overlap, but I don't put much stock in that. The 0.05 mile segment of Tobey Rd in the local roads listing was also throwing me, but I think it might be this (which could be what's causing the blank start/endpoints if it's reading Tobey Rd = CR 62).

epzik8

• Clincher of roadways

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:46:29 PM
    • The Epzik8 Webpage
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2022, 10:30:59 PM »

Interesting resource, thanks. Found what was I looking for on pg 187 of the Monroe County file. Surprisingly, the overlap is "officially" Stone Rd, but the corresponding 0.09 mile segment for Tobey Rd shows an blank start point and endpoint of NY 65, so we're no closer to an answer there.

Wikipedia offers a little additional insight - unsigned CR 62 (Tobey Rd) is split in two and does not include the overlap in the mileage. Google Maps, for their part, has CR 62 marked on the overlap, but I don't put much stock in that. The 0.05 mile segment of Tobey Rd in the local roads listing was also throwing me, but I think it might be this (which could be what's causing the blank start/endpoints if it's reading Tobey Rd = CR 62).
Man I wish Maryland had these inventories in their highway location reference files.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

DJ Particle

• RIAAcidal Woomy

• Last Login: October 20, 2022, 12:10:55 AM
    • DJ Particle
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2022, 12:11:50 AM »

In St. Louis Park, MN, Minnetonka Blvd and Lake St were overlapped between the eastern city limits and MN-100.  Though it seems the Lake St. signs have been takrn down in more recent days, so the overlap may no longer exist.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9485082,-93.3375467,3a,44.9y,298.29h,81.64t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1smvp-Azsrgrhozq6QPlTqvQ!2e0!5s20110701T000000!7i13312!8i6656
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 12:15:19 AM by DJ Particle »

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 07:57:37 AM »

There's Round Swamp Road and Old Country Road between Plainview and West Hills, New York, but that has hidden route numbers in Nassau County.

dgolub

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 08:58:33 AM
    • East Coast Roads
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2022, 08:24:06 AM »

There's also Marcus Avenue and Denton Avenue, which overlap as they cross Hillside Avenue (NY 25B).  Both are unnumbered county routes, although the portion of Denton Avenue north of the overlap is a town road.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.