AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Aimlessly driving  (Read 2603 times)

interstatefan990

• Last Login: May 22, 2023, 09:17:28 PM
Re: Aimlessly driving
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2022, 05:39:27 PM »

I’m unique in that, with the exception of very quiet two-lane roads, I love aimless driving on freeways and interstates. Most people get bored and prefer surface roads instead, but I’ve always loved to just set the cruise and watch the scenery go by, not having to worry about intersections, turns, traffic lights, or any of that. It’s also much easier to find your way back. Used to do it all the time in high school and college on the weekends. Man those were the days.

I also enjoy aimless driving on highways. The trouble is that I've already driven on most of the ones nearby dozens of times. Exploring different surface roads ends up more interesting.

True. Not everyone has the luxury of time or money to be able to go very far from their home region, or fly out and rent a car to start exploring somewhere new.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

webny99

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:27:03 PM
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2022, 10:18:48 PM »

I would have to agree that surface streets are the way to go in one's own area, at least in terms of being interesting. I can't think of a single freeway in my own area that I haven't driven many times and likely won't learn or see anything new by driving it again. Of course that doesn't mean driving it again isn't enjoyable, but if you're looking to see some new or different sights, surface roads are the way to go.

StarlightRunner

• OSMapper

• Last Login: May 08, 2022, 05:57:57 PM
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2022, 01:14:56 PM »

I've done a ton of "aimless" driving as a surveyor for OpenStreetMap. It's a thankless job, but someone's gotta do it. :coffee::cool:
Mapping the glittering highway, one lane at a time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.