AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Getting pieces of old button copy signs?  (Read 731 times)

Breadman17

• Last Login: September 22, 2023, 07:11:44 PM
    • 46876 Miles
Getting pieces of old button copy signs?
« on: April 16, 2022, 06:45:25 PM »

Hey!! I have kind of just a question here that i think you guys would know the most about. Last night while driving, I saw a piece of one of my old favorite button copy signs had fallen over. Must have been the wind or something, it was pretty loose and bound to happen. Obviously the sign won’t see many more days after this so i was sad.

What i’m wondering is since it’s demountable copy, would the DOT let me take a couple of the letters from it before scrapping it? There are enough letters for me to do something cool like spell my name. I also want to grab my sisters first initial because she loves this stuff too. it would mean the world to her and something for her to remember me by when i go to college. I would do anything to get those letters. Does anyone think that the DOT would let me take those before sending it off for scrap? I’d give anything for this. I’ll pay anything I can.

Thanks so much. this is a pretty urgently on my mind but i can’t call until tuesday about it :(((
ASU or bust!!!

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 08:41:23 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
Re: Getting pieces of old button copy signs?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 06:57:31 PM »

I wouldn't get your hopes up. Large government organizations usually don't have procedures in place for "weird member of the public wants to save a piece of obsolete tech" so they handle it badly. Some DOTs may even have some sort of by-weight accounting out of an attempt to keep employees from skimming off part of the scrap metal for their own profit.

I'd love to be wrong about this, though. Can't really hurt to ask, so long as you're happy with accepting "no" as the final word should that be the decision.

Now, can you get to the sign with a screwdriver faster than PennDOT can? Probably . . .
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.