AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Backwards Stoplights  (Read 3138 times)

HighwayStar

• Last Login: November 06, 2023, 10:56:26 AM
Backwards Stoplights
« on: April 17, 2022, 12:06:26 AM »

Discussion elsewhere of Texas reminded me of these that I saw some time ago.

Basically, it is a stoplight on "backwards" ie. facing the direction of travel for the lane it is mounted next to (and opposite direction from every other light on the mast).

They seem to be mounted on the pole, and as best I can tell they are to give advance warning of a red light to traffic coming around a corner where they become visible before the rest of the lights for that direction of travel.

Anyone seen these someplace besides Texas?
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

jeffandnicole

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:52:41 PM
Re: Backwards Stoplights
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 12:21:49 AM »

Basically, it is a stoplight on "backwards" ie. facing the direction of travel for the lane it is mounted next to (and opposite direction from every other light on the mast).

They seem to be mounted on the pole, and as best I can tell they are to give advance warning of a red light to traffic coming around a corner where they become visible before the rest of the lights for that direction of travel.

I seriously question if you're from or near Philadelphia. Not only is this a standard feature across the river in NJ - with the light often on the overhead mast itself - it's even a standard feature on some roads in Philly, especially Broad Street.

HighwayStar

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 12:25:09 AM »

I seriously question if you're from or near Philadelphia. Not only is this a standard feature across the river in NJ - with the light often on the overhead mast itself - it's even a standard feature on some roads in Philly, especially Broad Street.

I never claimed to be from Philadelphia. And I avoid Camden like the plague.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 12:29:26 AM »

See your profile, you silly man.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

HighwayStar

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 12:30:36 AM »

You know sometimes people do move from where they were born to another place, it happens. So no, I am not from Philadelphia.

Rothman

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2022, 12:32:13 AM »

You know sometimes people do move from where they were born to another place, it happens. So no, I am not from Philadelphia.

But your profile claims you are.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2022, 12:34:00 AM »

In case anyone was wondering I’m not from Route 9, Sector 26.  I apologize if anyone has been searching the Australian Outback looking for me.

HighwayStar

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2022, 12:34:37 AM »

No, it just says "location", that is hardly the same as where someone is from. Maybe its a terminology thing but when I ask someone where they are from I mean where they were born.

Rothman

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2022, 12:35:59 AM »

No, it just says "location", that is hardly the same as where someone is from. Maybe its a terminology thing but when I ask someone where they are from I mean where they were born.
Well, then you are Silly Barbed Wire Conspiracy Man.  Where I was born has little to do with where I grew up or where I consider myself from currently.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 09:22:57 AM by Rothman »

HighwayStar

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2022, 12:36:20 AM »

In case anyone was wondering I’m not from Route 9, Sector 26.  I apologize if anyone has been searching the Australian Outback looking for me.

I feel deceived!  :-D

On that note I think I will just set some equally random location to prevent confusion or people asking for cheesestake recommendations.

rickmastfan67

• The Invisible One

• I want I-67 in PA!!!!

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 01:05:30 AM
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2022, 12:39:55 AM »

Well, it's not a light itself, but they do have this on PA-910 for a blind traffic light around a curve on each side of the intersection.
https://goo.gl/maps/r5cPd3EvKFVJhszRA
https://goo.gl/maps/d1wpFkLcavLz7rUaA

HighwayStar

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2022, 12:44:09 AM »

Well, it's not a light itself, but they do have this on PA-910 for a blind traffic light around a curve.
https://goo.gl/maps/r5cPd3EvKFVJhszRA

I know I have not seen that one, but I am pretty sure I have seen a similar or identical sign in PA, kind of an old design it seems.
Of course there are lots of flashing yellow lights with a light ahead sign or something to that effect as well out there.

Apparently these backwards lights are common on Broad Street, but the use case there seems a bit different than on a curve as the road is almost perfectly straight (and broad). Perhaps that is why they never stuck out to me.

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 02:23:52 AM
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2022, 12:01:29 PM »

Maryland frequently does this for a doghouse on mast arms.

UCFKnights

• Last Login: February 23, 2024, 11:58:24 AM
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2022, 12:27:04 PM »

Are you saying like this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.3886753,-80.1470934,3a,27.4y,0.08h,93.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smiMbcKO4Z9wProzk0XDoqA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Left turn signals in this area also used to always get that, although on more modern installs they don't put near side in anymore most of the time.
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.3691108,-80.145875,3a,75y,120.75h,87.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGHco8S2LA-yhemBuIjYwEQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

HighwayStar

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2022, 02:00:03 PM »

Are you saying like this?
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.3886753,-80.1470934,3a,27.4y,0.08h,93.38t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smiMbcKO4Z9wProzk0XDoqA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Left turn signals in this area also used to always get that, although on more modern installs they don't put near side in anymore most of the time.
https://www.google.com/maps/@26.3691108,-80.145875,3a,75y,120.75h,87.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGHco8S2LA-yhemBuIjYwEQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Yes, but usually on the pole rather than the mast to put it further over. And always it seems on a corner.

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Last Login: Today at 02:16:41 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2022, 02:56:34 AM »

One on SR 513 in Seattle: https://goo.gl/maps/LjUYe7bw2dqCXL9x5

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 10:42:09 AM »

I've mentioned it before, but...

This backward stoplight on a one-way street in Whetaon, IL, was removed a few years ago.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

pianocello

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:25:13 PM
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2022, 06:56:20 PM »

I've mentioned it before, but...

This backward stoplight on a one-way street in Whetaon, IL, was removed a few years ago.

There's another backward light on a one-way street in Davenport, IA. This light is on a separate phase than all the rest, IIRC, and is only green for emergency vehicles. There's a fire station immediately downstream from this signal, and the best way for it to service the area to the north is to briefly run the wrong way up the one-way street.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

andrepoiy

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:29:14 PM
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 07:01:54 PM »

some examples in the Toronto area:

Revive 755

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 10:56:10 PM

Dirt Roads

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:48:42 PM
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 10:45:26 PM »

some examples in the Toronto area:

Some of these are good examples of what the OP described as "give advance warning of a red light to traffic coming around a corner"...

I remember some of these that were programmed with a different phasing sequence than the main string of signal heads, whereby the yellow phase of the "advance warning" signal was twice as long as the yellow phase in the intersection, then the red phase all at the same time.  Anyone remember any of these?  I'm not sure where I saw them, and they may actually have been in Canada.

Hobart

• I think this is needed.

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 05:05:39 PM
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2022, 01:06:33 AM »

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Last Login: Today at 02:16:41 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2022, 02:10:16 AM »

A triple in Kirkland, WA: https://goo.gl/maps/aBPEp2Hqbzk9a8Xk8

Two consecutive intersections on SR 522 in Bothell: https://goo.gl/maps/18ngPuBiJQ3ZrJD2A

jay8g

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 03:11:41 AM
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2022, 03:05:04 AM »

This is an unusual case -- one of the mast arms is on the opposite side of the road, so I'm guessing the designers were worried it would block the far-side signals, so they duplicated both of the signals facing "backwards" on the near-side mast arm. 

GenExpwy

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:50:43 AM
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2022, 06:16:58 AM »

At this intersection in Henrietta NY, Monroe County installed the mast arms and the “main”  signals on the near side, just a few feet in front of the stop line. The “backwards”  signal is therefore the one on the far side, and is the one that you can actually see when you are in the intersection. Same thing in the other direction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.