AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: US Routes ending with mast arm signals at both ends  (Read 1189 times)

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
US Routes ending with mast arm signals at both ends
« on: April 20, 2022, 02:35:24 PM »

US 29 at US 90 & 98 in Pensacola at its southern terminus has a mast arm signal assembly.  Plus at its north terminus in Ellicot City, MD it terminates at a signalized intersection  with mast arms as well.

Any others?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

pianocello

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:25:13 PM
Re: US Routes ending with mast arm signals at both ends
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 09:18:26 PM »

FDOT has a requirement called the Mast Arm Policy Area for intersections near the coasts. In general, all signalized intersections east of I-95 or west of I-75 (south of the Bay Area) or US 19 or 98 (north of the Bay Area) have to have a mast arm wherever there's a signal.

So, US 92 definitely fits here. That also applies to the Florida ends of US 1, 19, 23, 27, 41, 90, 98, 129, 441, and any others that end near the coast.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

SkyPesos

• I-80E to NYC, not Clarion, Dubois, Bloomsburg, etc

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:49:30 PM
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 09:58:57 PM »

« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 10:02:30 PM by SkyPesos »

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:29 AM
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 10:02:27 PM »

US 61
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 03:14:22 AM
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 11:23:52 PM »

FDOT has a requirement called the Mast Arm Policy Area for intersections near the coasts. In general, all signalized intersections east of I-95 or west of I-75 (south of the Bay Area) or US 19 or 98 (north of the Bay Area) have to have a mast arm wherever there's a signal.

So, US 92 definitely fits here. That also applies to the Florida ends of US 1, 19, 23, 27, 41, 90, 98, 129, 441, and any others that end near the coast.

Not true. US 19 has plenty of span wires itself and most of the Bay Area has span wires west of I-75 and US 19. In fact Hillsborough, Pinnelas, and Pasco seem anxious to lately be installing span wires with fat metal poles. Some parts of Hillsborough now are eliminating the need for two span wires and using one drooping wire with suspenders to keep all at one height. The typical way Florida installs span wire signals is a thin drooping support cable with a level power supply cable below it. However Hillsborough Public Works is copying New York State with the one cable and different length suspenders for their latest.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

pianocello

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:25:13 PM
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 11:14:51 AM »

Not true. US 19 has plenty of span wires itself and most of the Bay Area has span wires west of I-75 and US 19. In fact Hillsborough, Pinnelas, and Pasco seem anxious to lately be installing span wires with fat metal poles. Some parts of Hillsborough now are eliminating the need for two span wires and using one drooping wire with suspenders to keep all at one height. The typical way Florida installs span wire signals is a thin drooping support cable with a level power supply cable below it. However Hillsborough Public Works is copying New York State with the one cable and different length suspenders for their latest.

Hm. I guess that policy area only applies to new signals on DOT roads, so some older ones would be grandfathered in. Or maybe it's just a policy that's codified, but not strictly enforced by reviewers. FWIW, I've never worked with a project where this would even be applicable.

For anyone who might be interested, the rule is in Section 232.8.1 of the FDOT Design Manual.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.