AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Roundabouts and Semis  (Read 3828 times)

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:09:51 PM
    • Flickr
Re: Roundabouts and Semis
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2022, 01:02:51 AM »

I wish states would consider building interchange roundabouts like this or even this.

Those are "traffic circles" or in New England terminology, rotaries.   Very common during the build up of the Boston area expressway network in the fifties.   Some have outlived there usefulness and should have been replaced with full interchanges 45 years ago.  Reformatory Circle in Concord, MA as a leading example.
Rotaries and traffic circles are not the same, as rotaries follow the traffic rules of roundabouts.

Are there really enough “Yield to entering traffic”  traffic circles remaining for that to be a noteworthy difference? Pretty much every circular intersection that I have seen in this country has entering traffic yielding to circulating traffic.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2022, 06:31:52 AM »

Sometimes there's "is this a circle or not", such as these:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5925842,-70.9637526,15.8z

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4552291,-71.0899526,18.55z

In both cases, the main road has priority.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jamess

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:31:16 PM
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2022, 02:07:26 PM »

making them pay attention more and screw the rest of traffic when they have to slow down to wait patiently for a semi circumventing the roundabout as the geometry of the circle slows down the time it takes to use it for truckers

Thats the intention.

Why on earth would you think that "make them pay attention" is a bad thing????

english si

• Last Login: July 02, 2022, 05:33:16 AM
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2022, 03:19:47 PM »

Rotaries and traffic circles are not the same, as rotaries follow the traffic rules of roundabouts.
Though the Stanton St Quintin example (M4/A429/A350/B4122) has traffic lights controlling two corners, and so doesn't follow the traffic rules of roundabouts.

The Lutterworth (M1/A4303/A4304) example is very much a roundabout though.
<Removed post from other thread>
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 05:01:05 PM by english si »

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2022, 03:22:34 PM »

There is precisely zero reason a freeway should not always have an Interstate shield. Change my mind.

There are good reasons why not to give freeways interstate shields, kphoger gave two, 'too short' is another. Tolls, possibly?

But yes, the onus should be more on the "not everything needs to be an interstate" crowd to explain why a freeway shouldn't be one than the "bring out the blue and red shields" to try and justify interstate status for a freeway that meets the basic criteria of being up to standards and forming a coherent addition to the network.

Wrong thread, |english si|.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2022, 03:30:57 PM »

Are there really enough “Yield to entering traffic”  traffic circles remaining for that to be a noteworthy difference? Pretty much every circular intersection that I have seen in this country has entering traffic yielding to circulating traffic.

Depends what region you're in.

Southern Illinois has plenty of non-standard setups:

Stop signs in the middle, but only on two approaches
Town square, yield signs in the middle, but only on two approaches
Town square, no traffic control at all (I once saw I-57 traffic diverted through this;  it was... interesting.)
Male pronouns, please.

If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

english si

• Last Login: July 02, 2022, 05:33:16 AM
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2022, 05:02:44 PM »

Wrong thread, |english si|.
dealt with.

jakeroot

• 日本標準時

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:09:51 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2022, 07:11:26 PM »

Town square, no traffic control at all (I once saw I-57 traffic diverted through this;  it was... interesting.)

These sorts of setups are far and away a minority of circular intersections. Enough so I don't think they even could be called anything besides a town square or something.

Ned Weasel

• Last Login: January 07, 2024, 09:21:23 PM
    • My Instagram
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2022, 10:03:52 PM »

In Hammond, LA you have two roundabouts and a raised curb controlling US 51 Business south of I-12 and that area between the two roundabouts is with two major truck stops. So to patronize either Truck Stop, all traffic must use both roundabouts as the raised curbs eliminates left turns and creates RIRO for the business driveways thus forcing the semis to make 180 degree turns in a small diameter circle.

I'm looking at GMSV from just this past January and not seeing the roundabouts you're referring to.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/30.4820483,-90.4589004//@30.4769424,-90.4595573,16.76z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0!5m1!1e1

The fact that about a third of the parking spaces in that Petro require blind-side backing (when you can't pull through from the other spaces) is a much greater concern than the roundabouts, with their generous geometry clearly showing they were engineered for trucks.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2022, 10:10:46 PM »

These sorts of setups are far and away a minority of circular intersections. Enough so I don't think they even could be called anything besides a town square or something.

Except for the part where I said "Depends what region you're in".  I can't think of a single "modern" roundabout, with yield-on-entry at all approaches, anywhere in southern Illinois.

Well, except for (1) this six-way monstrosity in Zeigler, for which you'd have to ignore the angle parking and the island so big there's a park inside, and (2) the Saint Louis suburbs, such as this one in Belleville that used to be uncontrolled.

In other words, "these sorts of setups" are actually the majority of circular intersections in southern Illinois.
Male pronouns, please.

bwana39

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:24:12 PM
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2022, 04:56:08 PM »

All three of those roundabouts have truck aprons.  The center islands are not bordered by hard curbs.  They also have extra pavement with yellow striping, which allows truckers extra space to navigate the roundabouts.

https://goo.gl/maps/YT86SHpVR2kKtnv98

This wide single lane design might be great. In Texas, they make the same basic roundabout, but they make it two lanes wide.
Those are confusing and they increase the sideswipe incursions.

The ones in Texas are generally not on roads with significant truck traffic.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

ran4sh

• US 30 - one of my most traveled US routes

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:43:25 PM
    • YouTube - mostly my Cities:Skylines live streams
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2022, 09:09:31 PM »

In Hammond, LA you have two roundabouts and a raised curb controlling US 51 Business south of I-12 and that area between the two roundabouts is with two major truck stops. So to patronize either Truck Stop, all traffic must use both roundabouts as the raised curbs eliminates left turns and creates RIRO for the business driveways thus forcing the semis to make 180 degree turns in a small diameter circle.

I'm looking at GMSV from just this past January and not seeing the roundabouts you're referring to.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/30.4820483,-90.4589004//@30.4769424,-90.4595573,16.76z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0!5m1!1e1

The fact that about a third of the parking spaces in that Petro require blind-side backing (when you can't pull through from the other spaces) is a much greater concern than the roundabouts, with their generous geometry clearly showing they were engineered for trucks.

Seems normal for Petro and TA truck stops. A lot of drivers don't blind-side back anyway (they turn left while moving forward and then they back straight)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.