AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Street names that are especially common in a particular state  (Read 7052 times)

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:52:44 PM
Re: Street names that are especially common in a particular state
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2022, 11:22:56 AM »

What about streets named after a certain railroad?  Is there a state where, for example, Burlington is especially common? or Santa Fe?
Streets named Frisco are common in towns where the Frisco line used to run. These Frisco streets are most common in S. MO and N. AR, but can also be seen in places like Tulsa or Yukon in OK, and, of course, the one town in Texas named after said railroad.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 11:26:12 AM by ozarkman417 »

GaryA

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:08:30 PM
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2022, 11:37:40 AM »

Anything that has a name of a County in California is very common.  Roads carrying the name “Carson”  are also very commonplace.

Many of the old Spanish mission, city, and (later) county names get reused a lot -- of course, that was true even at the time of the Spanish settlements.  There's an area inland from Ventura that some people call the "Santa Clara Valley" because the Santa Clara River runs through it, while in most of the state that would refer to the San Jose area (because of the mission, city, and county named Santa Clara).

For some reason, "Santa Rosa" strikes me as especially popular, with or without any connection to the city of that name.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2022, 11:57:39 AM »

Anything that has a name of a County in California is very common.  Roads carrying the name “Carson”  are also very commonplace.

Many of the old Spanish mission, city, and (later) county names get reused a lot -- of course, that was true even at the time of the Spanish settlements.  There's an area inland from Ventura that some people call the "Santa Clara Valley" because the Santa Clara River runs through it, while in most of the state that would refer to the San Jose area (because of the mission, city, and county named Santa Clara).

For some reason, "Santa Rosa" strikes me as especially popular, with or without any connection to the city of that name.

There is a lot of Spanish road names floating around, El Camino Real is just the tip if a very large iceberg.

1995hoo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:22:06 PM
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2022, 12:48:20 PM »

What about streets named after a certain railroad?  Is there a state where, for example, Burlington is especially common? or Santa Fe?
Streets named Frisco are common in towns where the Frisco line used to run. These Frisco streets are most common in S. MO and N. AR, but can also be seen in places like Tulsa or Yukon in OK, and, of course, the one town in Texas named after said railroad.

This prompted me to look for roads named "Frisco" in San Francisco, given how that city's residents are known to dislike said nickname for their city. Couldn't find any.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:10:05 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2022, 01:00:09 PM »

Genesee in New York State especially in Rochester, Syracuse,and Buffalo
Utica's Genesee Street is very prominent, really the city's main street (as opposed to Main Street, which is tiny).  Albany has one too, but it's tiny (so in Main Street, for that matter).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dirt Roads

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:48:42 PM
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2022, 07:39:54 PM »

Indeed.  We have Seaboard Street in Charlote, Raleigh, Goldsboro, Hamlet, Apex, Bladenboro, Creedmoor, Hoffman and Vass.  There is also Seaboard Street/Seaboard Road in Rockingham, and another short Seaboard Road in Ellenboro that's perpendicular to the railroad.  And there's a Seaboard Drive in Matthews.  And a Seaboard Avenue in Monroe.  Not to mention that there is a town named Seaboard in Northampton County.

Not quite as convincing about its railroad roots, there are Southern Drives in Durham, Asheboro, Dudley, Efland, Hendersonville, Randleman and Waxhaw.  There a Southern Street in Kernersville and Selma, as well as a Southern Avenue in Dunn.  There is Southern Road in Sanford and Stokesdale.  As best as I can tell, the Southern operated in each of these locations.

sandwalk

• Last Login: March 08, 2024, 11:46:39 AM
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2022, 11:59:11 AM »

More of a hyper-local example, but in Findlay Ohio and in several surrounding small villages, "Main Cross Street" is common. It's usually a main road that crosses "Main Street" near the center of town.

MAP: https://goo.gl/maps/Uv31vC4nABFfmZL16

kurumi

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:06:26 PM
    • kurumi.com
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2022, 12:27:55 PM »

Here's a nationwide list (but from 1993): https://www.nlc.org/resource/most-common-u-s-street-names/

I used this question for California in our trivia group and remember Redwood and Cypress making the top 10.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Ned Weasel

• Last Login: January 07, 2024, 09:21:23 PM
    • My Instagram
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2022, 06:21:37 AM »

"Outer Road" in Missouri.  It doesn't mean what you think it means until you know what it means.

"Kansas Avenue" in Kansas.  A bit narcissistic, are we?
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

skluth

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 03:35:22 PM
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2022, 02:21:35 PM »

WI: streets named after Native nations, such as Flambeau and Oneida

Wisconsin also has a lot of streets, towns, etc named after early settlers. Doty, Juneau, and Dodge are fairly common names around parts of the state. Plenty of street references to early explorers Marquette and Nicolet in exist in Wisconsin and neighboring states including the Marquette Interchange in Milwaukee.

KCRoadFan

• Enthusiastic fan of roads, sports, and waterparks.

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:21 AM
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2022, 10:29:33 AM »

"Outer Road" in Missouri.  It doesn't mean what you think it means until you know what it means.

"Kansas Avenue" in Kansas.  A bit narcissistic, are we?

Also, Texas Avenue in Texas, Colorado Avenue in Colorado, and Michigan Avenue in Michigan.

Dirt Roads

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2022, 11:55:16 AM »

I suspect that I've done this one before, but it goes again.

An odd eponym is West Virginia Avenue throughout the state.  These are located in Clarksburg, Dunbar, Martinsburg, Morgantown, Nutter Fort, Parkersburg and Weston.  Plus a West Virginia Street in Beckley and Ridgeley.  As opposed to Virginia Avenue West (sometimes W. Virginia Avenue) in Huntington and St. Albans and Virginia Street West (never supposed to be W. Virginia Street) in Charleston.  Streets named Virginia Avenue are also located in Fairmont, Follansbee, Harpers Ferry, Hurricane, Martinsburg, Petersburg, Summit Point and Welch (and probably a bunch of other small towns).  Other towns with Virginia Street are Keyser and Sistersville.  Add to all of that Virginia Avenue SE in Kanawha City, which is part of the city of Charleston, with the southeast as a cardinal direction to help avoid confusion with Virginia Street on the East Side, West Side and Downtown.

Of course, there are both Virginia Avenue and West Virginia Avenue in Washington, D.C.  No confusion there with adding cardinal directions, as the streets are labeled for their quadrants (NE, SE, SW and NW).  Not sure if West Virginia Avenue or West Virginia Street (named after the 35th State) appears anywhere else in these United States.

skluth

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 03:35:22 PM
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2022, 12:21:40 AM »

An odd eponym is West Virginia Avenue throughout the state.  These are located in Clarksburg, Dunbar, Martinsburg, Morgantown, Nutter Fort, Parkersburg and Weston.  Plus a West Virginia Street in Beckley and Ridgeley.  As opposed to Virginia Avenue West (sometimes W. Virginia Avenue) in Huntington and St. Albans and Virginia Street West (never supposed to be W. Virginia Street) in Charleston.  Streets named Virginia Avenue are also located in Fairmont, Follansbee, Harpers Ferry, Hurricane, Martinsburg, Petersburg, Summit Point and Welch (and probably a bunch of other small towns).  Other towns with Virginia Street are Keyser and Sistersville.  Add to all of that Virginia Avenue SE in Kanawha City, which is part of the city of Charleston, with the southeast as a cardinal direction to help avoid confusion with Virginia Street on the East Side, West Side and Downtown.

Of course, there are both Virginia Avenue and West Virginia Avenue in Washington, D.C.  No confusion there with adding cardinal directions, as the streets are labeled for their quadrants (NE, SE, SW and NW).  Not sure if West Virginia Avenue or West Virginia Street (named after the 35th State) appears anywhere else in these United States.

Just curious if any of the West Virginia Streets or Avenues have a directional component like East West Virginia Avenue. Could be lots of fun for locals to confuse out-of-towners.

Ted$8roadFan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:17:40 PM
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2022, 12:29:33 PM »

In Massachusetts, many towns and cities have street names on roads leading to a neighboring town (Watertown St, Needham st, etc.). Washington Street is another one.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 01:03:48 PM by Ted$8roadFan »

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2022, 08:46:21 PM »

Streets named 'Wisconsin' (Ave, Rd, St, etc) are pretty common here in Wisconsin.  Appleton has a Wisconsin Ave, Wisconsin Pl and a Wisconsin Rd.

Mike

Dirt Roads

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2022, 09:25:39 PM »

Just curious if any of the West Virginia Streets or Avenues have a directional component like East West Virginia Avenue. Could be lots of fun for locals to confuse out-of-towners.

Those kind of things really get my Roadgeek juices rolling, so yes I was looking for them and no I didn't find any.  But West Virginia Avenue in the District of Columbia is entirely in the southeast, so it gets signed as West Virginia Avenue SE.  There's a bunch of streets named Virginia Avenue and Virginia Street in the Old Commonwealth itself, and some of them add the cardinal direction East.  I could only find a few of those:  West Virginia Avenue in Crewe and a West Virginia Street in South Hill.  An oddity here is that West Virginia Street is offset from East Virginia Street in South Hill, so that the former [could be] named after the breakaway state.  By the way, this Virginia Avenue is the main drag on US-460/VA-49 in downtown Crewe.  Plus, there is a real West Virginia Avenue in Virginia Beach, and it is definitely named after the Mountain State because it is right next door to (ugh) S Kentucky Avenue.  So technically, that should be S West Virginia Avenue (but there are only two houses on each side of those streets, so no reason to confuse anybody else there).

Ted$8roadFan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:17:40 PM
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2022, 05:27:16 AM »

In Massachusetts, many towns and cities have street names on roads leading to a neighbori g town (Watertown St, Needham st, etc.). Washington Street is another one.

Neighboring.

Flint1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2022, 08:38:39 AM »

Michigan's most common street names are Maple, Park, Lake, Pine, Oak, Cedar, 2nd, Lakeview, 1st, Birch. There are over 400 streets in Michigan named Maple though.

Streetman

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 10:57:44 AM
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2023, 09:53:48 AM »

Here's a list of the ten most common street names in each state (ignoring suffixes Street, Avenue, Road, etc.):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/03/06/these-are-the-most-popular-street-names-in-every-state/

Couple trends: Ten most common names in Florida are numeric First through Tenth, though mostly not in order. No numeric names among the top ten in any New England state and a few others.

Lists of most common names in each state including suffixes and showing which cities have such a street:
https://streetnamesearch.com/most-common-street-names/#states

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2023, 01:45:41 PM »

Here's a list of the ten most common street names in each state (ignoring suffixes Street, Avenue, Road, etc.):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2015/03/06/these-are-the-most-popular-street-names-in-every-state/

Couple trends: Ten most common names in Florida are numeric First through Tenth, though mostly not in order. No numeric names among the top ten in any New England state and a few others.

Lists of most common names in each state including suffixes and showing which cities have such a street:
https://streetnamesearch.com/most-common-street-names/#states

Very inaccurate list, there were numerous listed street names that exist in my hometown (Appleton, WI) that were not shown as being in Appleton.
Mike

Dough4872

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:58:56 PM
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2023, 06:44:26 PM »

I’m sure the name of the state is a common street name in a state. For example, Pennsylvania Avenue would be a common name in Pennsylvania.

LilianaUwU

• :3

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:51 AM
    • Flickr
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2023, 06:48:13 PM »

I’m sure the name of the state is a common street name in a state. For example, Pennsylvania Avenue would be a common name in Pennsylvania.
Surprisingly, there's no streets named after Québec in Québec (or at least I don't believe so). But that's a country province, not a state.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

pderocco

• Two wrongs don't make a right--but three lefts do.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:20:42 AM
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2023, 07:08:36 PM »

I think the reason that numbered streets are rare in the northeast is that very few streets are gridded, having largely evolved out of cenruries old cowpaths. There was never a cadastral survey of that area.

Streetman

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 10:57:44 AM
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2023, 08:04:15 PM »

I think the reason that numbered streets are rare in the northeast is that very few streets are gridded, having largely evolved out of cenruries old cowpaths. There was never a cadastral survey of that area.
Exactly right, and for the same reason the coordinate system for assigning house numbers is rarely used, making 4-digit house numbers somewhat rare and 5-digit practically unknown.

Dirt Roads

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2023, 09:50:56 PM »

Having lived on a similar named road in Northwestern Virginia, I submit that North Carolina is the land of the Longleaf Pine (ergo, Turpentine Trail):
  • Longleaf Street, Supply NC
  • Longleaf Drive, Chapel Hill NC
  • Longleaf Drive, Charlotte NC
  • Longleaf Drive, Fayetteville NC
  • Longleaf Drive, Newport NC
  • Longleaf Drive, Pinehurst NC
  • Longleaf Drive, West End NC
  • Longleaf Avenue, Goldsboro NC
  • Longleaf Circle, Aberdeen NC
  • Longleaf Circle, Cameron NC
  • Longleaf Road, Aberdeen NC
  • Longleaf Road, Southern Pines NC
  • Longleaf Road, Southport NC
  • Longleaf Place, Cary NC
  • Longleaf Lane, Greenville NC
  • Longleaf Lane, New Bern NC
  • Longleaf Lane, Raeford NC
  • Longleaf Lane, Sanford NC
  • Long Leaf Lane, Goldsboro NC
  • Long Leaf Lane, Plymouth NC
  • Longleaf Pine Acres, Rockingham NC
  • Longleaf Pine Acres, Wilmington NC
  • Longleaf Pine Street, Advance NC
  • Longleaf Pine Street, Clayton NC
  • Longleaf Pine Street, Kinston NC
  • Longleaf Pines Street, Raeford NC
  • Longleaf Pine Circle, Leland NC
  • Longleaf Pine Way, Sanford NC
  • Longleaf Pine Place, Mebane NC
I'm sure that there are many more.  Not surprisingly, many of the locations are in the Sandhills (home of the last remaining natural stand of longleaf pine).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 02:42:50 PM by Dirt Roads »

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.