News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Tennessee by Body Part / System

Started by Daniel Fiddler, March 06, 2024, 10:28:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Fiddler

East Tennessee is the head / nervous system.

The University of Tennessee (in Knoxville) at East Tennessee State University (in Johnson City) could be considered the brains of the state.

Also, it is the face of Tennessee.  It is the most magnificent part of the state, especially around Gatlinburg / the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and to a slightly lesser extent Chattanooga, which could be known as the eyes.

Middle Tennessee is the cardiovascular system.

With almost 700,000 in the city proper and over 2.2 million in the metropolitan area, Nashville is the beating heart of the state.  It is the primary economic engine, and the fastest-growing region of the state.  Also, the wealthiest county (Williamson) is just south of Nashville, with an annual per capita income in the six figures.  Without Nashville, Tennessee would likely be as bad off as Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Mississippi.  It isn't THAT much better off outside of Nashville as it is!

West Tennessee is the digestive system.

On the positive side, most cities and towns (Memphis, Jackson, and even small towns like my mother's and grandmother's small town of Lexington that only has 8,000 population) are famous for delicious food (especially barbeque pork), which could be considered the stomach.

On the negative side, Memphis has the highest violent crime (murders, robberies, rapes, etc) in not only Tennessee but in the entire nation, so it could be considered the asshole.

SectorZ

"Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should" is a line that comes to mind here.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

freebrickproductions

Not going to lie, Middle Tennessee is always the part of the state I think of first when I think of Tennessee, as it's the part I've been to the most. So I usually consider it to be the "face" of Tennessee.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

GaryV

If Knoxville is the head and mid-state is the heart, what does that make Chattanooga, the armpit?   :spin:

freebrickproductions

Quote from: GaryV on March 06, 2024, 02:50:55 PM
If Knoxville is the head and mid-state is the heart, what does that make Chattanooga, the armpit?   :spin:

Having been there some, it certainly feels that way. :spin:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Max Rockatansky

I'll ask the big question.  What is the genitalia of Tennessee?

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mapmikey

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 06, 2024, 05:23:10 PM

Nutbush

kphoger

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 06, 2024, 07:06:43 PM

Nutbush

This gets weird, in that Nutbush is at the opposite end of the state from Ballplay.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SectorZ

Quote from: kphoger on March 07, 2024, 10:40:01 AM
Quote from: Mapmikey on March 06, 2024, 07:06:43 PM

Nutbush

This gets weird, in that Nutbush is at the opposite end of the state from Ballplay.

Nutbush is near Brownsville though.

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

andarcondadont

I don't know if this even warrants a thread...

Computer Science and GIS student at the University of Minnesota.

kphoger

I mean, it could be worse.  It could be Kentucky.
Male pronouns, please.

SectorZ

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: andarcondadont on March 08, 2024, 03:58:54 PM
I don't know if this even warrants a thread...

I'd argue this is still a nominal step up from the P13 variety stuff.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Henry

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on March 06, 2024, 10:28:03 AM
On the negative side, Memphis has the highest violent crime (murders, robberies, rapes, etc) in not only Tennessee but in the entire nation
I always thought cities like Chicago, Baltimore, Atlanta and Detroit were far worse in those categories, but then after seeing The Blind Side, I tend to agree with your assessment of Memphis.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

index

I thought this was a Bandit thread when I first saw it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kphoger

Quote from: Henry on March 08, 2024, 09:47:08 PM

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on March 06, 2024, 10:28:03 AM
On the negative side, Memphis has the highest violent crime (murders, robberies, rapes, etc) in not only Tennessee but in the entire nation

I always thought cities like Chicago, Baltimore, Atlanta and Detroit were far worse in those categories, but then after seeing The Blind Side, I tend to agree with your assessment of Memphis.

Having looked at violent crime statistics in the past, I'd say you're right about those cities too (even if it's overblown in Chicago).  But yes, Memphis is up there with them, especially in recent years.  But what has surprised me to learn is that Saint Louis is also a "top tier" city for violent crime, with twice the homicide rate of Chicago and surpassing even Detroit.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.