AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: State of the Map 2022 - The State of US Highway Classification  (Read 1567 times)

MoiraPrime

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 02:29:28 PM

So at State of the Map 2022 in Tucson, Arizona, Adam Franco did a presentation about the work to reform Highway Classification in OpenStreetMap for the United States. I figured that might interest a few people here. For those of you unaware, State of the Map US (SOTM US) is an annual event held by the OpenStreetMap local Chapter, OpenStreetMap United States, dedicated to OpenStreetMap and connecting with the OSM community. People hold presentations there and connect with each other. You can find more info about the 2022 SOTM here: https://2022.stateofthemap.us.

I've done a lot of work in Mississippi (and a little bit of Alabama) working on reclassifying highways. I'd love it if you guys could give Adam Franco's presentation a watch and passed along your feedback.

Edit: also the Highway Classification Guidance Document referenced in the presentation can be found here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_States/2021_Highway_Classification_Guidance

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
Re: State of the Map 2022 - The State of US Highway Classification
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 12:06:36 AM »

Before watching the presentation, the first question through my mind regarding OSM classification in the U.S. is do you classify roads by route type (i.e. Interstate, U.S., state, county, local) or by functional classification (arterial, collector, local)?

What little I've done in OSM (including bits in Alabama and Mississippi as well), I've generally gone with a hodge-podge of the two.

Rothman

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 12:20:37 AM »

Before watching the presentation, the first question through my mind regarding OSM classification in the U.S. is do you classify roads by route type (i.e. Interstate, U.S., state, county, local) or by functional classification (arterial, collector, local)?

What little I've done in OSM (including bits in Alabama and Mississippi as well), I've generally gone with a hodge-podge of the two.
You monster.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 01:06:12 PM »

Neither, because both have major issues.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:08:21 PM
    • Froggie's Place
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 01:26:12 PM »

You monster.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Could you please elaborate?  I'd like to read your thoughts and suggestions on that.

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 01:51:30 PM »

Could you please elaborate?

Has there ever been a post by |NE2| that's anything between 2 short sentences and a 1000-word history essay?   :hmmm:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

• fuck

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 05:00:07 PM »

Could you please elaborate?  I'd like to read your thoughts and suggestions on that.

Route type is very inconsistent by state and even between different parts of a state. Often the most major road is a "less important" route (e.g. IN 63) or not even a numbered route (see US 56's route on 47th Street in Kansas City). Or a numbered route will end at an arbitrary point, while the importance stays the same.

Functional classification is a better starting point, but in my experience does not get updated in any sort of timely manner when new roads are built. And there are hanging ends: for example, in the Orlando area, Pine Hills Road is a minor arterial to its north end, but Beggs Road is a major collector in both directions.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

MoiraPrime

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 02:29:28 PM
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 11:22:31 PM »

It's kinda what NE2 mentioned above this one, and what you said. It's a sorta mixture of route type, gut feeling, functional classification, and traffic counts (depending on what data you have at your disposal). Most Interstates are almost always Motorway (unless they break the Interstate standards in a significant way) and most US Highways are at least primary. The main part of this presentation is the highway=trunk tag though, which the US community is coming together to decide to mean important long range roads between major population centers. It comes together to make a really satisfying map too, as you can see from the 17 minute mark of the video (which I got a shoutout in  :D )

brad2971

• Native Roadgeeking Son of the Great Plains

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 04:42:41 PM
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 12:53:04 AM »

Route type is very inconsistent by state and even between different parts of a state. Often the most major road is a "less important" route (e.g. IN 63) or not even a numbered route (see US 56's route on 47th Street in Kansas City). Or a numbered route will end at an arbitrary point, while the importance stays the same.

Functional classification is a better starting point, but in my experience does not get updated in any sort of timely manner when new roads are built. And there are hanging ends: for example, in the Orlando area, Pine Hills Road is a minor arterial to its north end, but Beggs Road is a major collector in both directions.

And when you delve into state DOT traffic counts, there are things that can make you scratch your head when it comes to assuming important routes by route type and functional classification. For example, by looking at Kansas DOT's traffic maps, you find out that the busiest section of freeway in Wichita doesn't have an interstate shield on it (it's US 54/400 between I-235 and I-135, in case you were curious).

Though, after looking at Google Maps, I'd have to wonder if it has occurred to Indiana DOT to reroute US 41 onto the IN 63 expressway.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 12:56:27 AM by brad2971 »

NE2

• fuck

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 10:23:50 AM »

The main part of this presentation is the highway=trunk tag though, which the US community is coming together to decide to mean important long range roads between major population centers.
And it's about time.

Dirt Roads

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:48:42 PM
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 09:39:07 PM »

I'm not sure who originally suggested this, but I really like the idea of color-coding the routes based on average highway speeds (factoring in the signals and stop signs).  Perhaps using following highway classifications:

Undivided
Multi-lane undivided
Multi-lane divided
Partially-controlled access
Fully-controlled access
Toll roads/toll bridges

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.