AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Google Doodle: Celebrating Route 66  (Read 2370 times)

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 11:52:44 PM
Re: Google Doodle: Celebrating Route 66
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2022, 05:53:36 PM »

Apparently, April 30 was the date that the number 66 was first proposed for the route.

https://www.ky3.com/2022/04/30/get-your-kicks-google-celebrates-significant-date-route-66-springfield-mo-history/

"On this date 96 years ago, the name “U.S. 66″ was first proposed for the cross-country route. Historians say Springfield, Missouri is recognized as the “Birthplace of Route 66″ based on activities and events that happened that day.

Route66News.com cites research from Missouri State University’s Thomas Peters that offers insight from that date. Based on the research, on April 30, 1926, a telegram was sent from the Colonial Hotel in Springfield to federal officials in Washington D.C., saying they would accept “66″ as the number for a new highway."

The 1926 Missouri official shows US 60 from St Louis towards Springfield.  Subsequent maps corrected the "error"
Meanwhile the current US 60 (which initially ended in Springfield), is shown as US 62. I recall reading somewhere that Kentucky officials disapproved of the US 60 designation for US 66 because that would leave the state without a X0 US route.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Mad man with a camera

• Last Login: April 06, 2023, 10:39:02 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2022, 05:56:46 PM »

Meanwhile the current US 60 (which initially ended in Springfield), is shown as US 62. I recall reading somewhere that Kentucky officials disapproved of the US 60 designation for US 66 because that would leave the state without a X0 US route.
[/quote]

Yes..  Kentucky demanded a Zero route which led to Cyrus Avery and US 66
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

JoePCool14

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 09:54:48 PM
    • My TravelMapping stats
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2022, 09:55:34 PM »

On a related note to US-66, I always thought it was cute that I-66 took drivers into the nation's capital. Fairly appropriate, I must say.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 55+ Clinches | 225+ Traveled | 7000+ Miles Logged

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.