News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Improving Upon the Humble TUDI

Started by kernals12, May 12, 2022, 11:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kernals12

A tight urban diamond interchange is one where the two intersections are so close together that the left turn lanes overlap like this:

One simple change that greatly improves capacity is to have the left turn lanes swapped like this:

This allows left turns to be made in both directions from the arterial to the freeway simultaneously.

A further improvement is to put the left turn lanes all the way on the left in a grade separated version of a Continuous Flow Intersection.

2 of these have been built in San Marcos, TX on I-35. In both cases, they simply adapted the existing Texas U-turns to serve as the displaced left turn lanes

Hopefully they get incorporated in more places

kphoger

Quote from: kernals12 on May 12, 2022, 11:59:45 PM
A further improvement is to put the left turn lanes all the way on the left in a grade separated version of a Continuous Flow Intersection.

2 of these have been built in San Marcos, TX on I-35. In both cases, they simply adapted the existing Texas U-turns to serve as the displaced left turn lanes

Specifically–for those interested–they are at TX-80 (Exit 205) and Loop-82 (Exit 206).  The latter is one-sided, meaning only one direction of the cross-road has its left turn lane displaced.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

thspfc

So the difference between this and a DDI is that the rams don't extend as far laterally from the freeway, meaning that this is useful in tight places where a DDI is not possible?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: thspfc on May 13, 2022, 12:23:37 PM
So the difference between this and a DDI is that the rams don't extend as far laterally from the freeway, meaning that this is useful in tight places where a DDI is not possible?

Additionally, in a DDI, the through lanes also move to the left.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

pianocello

One simple change that greatly improves capacity is to have the left turn lanes swapped like this:

This allows left turns to be made in both directions from the arterial to the freeway simultaneously.

This configuration was used at the I-4 and FL 436 interchange north of Orlando while they were building the SPUI that's currently there. It's a bit hard to capture on Street View, but you might be able to see how it worked here if you go back in time to late 2019-early 2020.

Unfortunately, they missed the opportunity to improve traffic flow; The signal timing and phasing was the same as if it was a standard tight diamond. It was pretty aggravating, but I understand not spending the resources to develop a new signalization plan for a temporary situation.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

CardInLex

I want this set up at this interchange so bad. It would not even be that difficult for INDOT to implement.
https://goo.gl/maps/kpL5xCEN5MiKWAhB8

Ned Weasel

This would probably be a good idea at US 69 and 151st Street in Overland Park, Kansas, except with the lanes on the arterial road being doubled.  (Here: https://goo.gl/maps/SRcgdDZqi7YXYpXG6 )
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.