AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Roads that transit each County Seat in One Specific State  (Read 4365 times)

sandwalk

• Last Login: March 08, 2024, 11:46:39 AM
Re: Roads that transit each County Seat in One Specific State
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2022, 09:46:15 PM »

In Ohio, US 35 gets 7/7

For a near miss, US 127 gets 8/9, missing Defiance

I thought US 42 would get it too, but my guess was way off (gets 10 of 14). Due to its diagonal nature, it nixes a corner of the counties it misses (Butler, Clark, Union, Wayne)

US 23 has a streak of hitting every county seat from its southern end in the state all the way north to Wyandot (Upper Sandusky), then misses the rest north of there.

To add to this list....US 68 also hits all county seats out of the 8 counties it passes through.

Findlay (Hancock Co.) - Kenton (Hardin Co.) - Bellefontaine (Logan Co.) - Urbana (Champaign Co.) - Springfield (Clark Co.) - Xenia (Greene Co.) - Wilmington (Clinton Co.) - Georgetown (Brown Co.)

Flint1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2022, 11:07:51 PM »

M-21 in Michigan is one that goes through every county seat along it's route. Kent County (Grand Rapids), Ionia County (Ionia), Clinton County (St. Johns), Shiawassee County (Corunna) and Genesee County (Flint).

I-94 also goes through every county seat. St. Clair (Port Huron), Wayne (Detroit), Washtenaw (Ann Arbor), Jackson (Jackson), Calhoun (Marshall), Kalamazoo (Kalamazoo), Van Buren (Paw Paw), Berrien (St. Joseph).

bulldog1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:13:24 AM
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2022, 05:33:30 AM »

M-21 in Michigan is one that goes through every county seat along it's route. Kent County (Grand Rapids), Ionia County (Ionia), Clinton County (St. Johns), Shiawassee County (Corunna) and Genesee County (Flint).

I-94 also goes through every county seat. St. Clair (Port Huron), Wayne (Detroit), Washtenaw (Ann Arbor), Jackson (Jackson), Calhoun (Marshall), Kalamazoo (Kalamazoo), Van Buren (Paw Paw), Berrien (St. Joseph).

M-21 ends in Grand Rapids Township. The city line at that location is just west of the East Beltline right-of-way.

I-94 also appears to just miss Jackson as well. The city line runs along a section of Boardman Road next to the western US 127 interchange, which is south of I-94. However, the easier disqualifier is that I-94 comes nowhere near the city of St. Joseph; I-94 is about 2 miles away from the city line on M-63, and gets about a mile and a half at the closest to the southern part of the city.

Flint1979

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2022, 07:34:40 AM »

M-21 ends in Grand Rapids Township. The city line at that location is just west of the East Beltline right-of-way.

I-94 also appears to just miss Jackson as well. The city line runs along a section of Boardman Road next to the western US 127 interchange, which is south of I-94. However, the easier disqualifier is that I-94 comes nowhere near the city of St. Joseph; I-94 is about 2 miles away from the city line on M-63, and gets about a mile and a half at the closest to the southern part of the city.
It's close enough. M-21 indeed serves Grand Rapids and I-94 indeed serves Jackson.

Also I-94 indeed serves St. Joseph.

Dirt Roads

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 07:48:42 PM
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2022, 11:33:57 AM »

US-70 hits an amazing 16 of 20 county seats as it meanders across North Carolina:  Marshall (Madison County), Asheville (Buncombe County), Marion (McDowell County), Morganton (Burke County), Statesville (Iredell County), Salisbury (Rowan County), Thomasville (Davidson County), Greensboro (Guilford County), Hillsborough (Orange County), Durham (Durham County), Raleigh (Wake County), Smithfield (Johnston County), Goldsboro (Wayne County), Kinston (Lenoir County), New Bern (Craven County) and Beaufort (Carteret County).  It barely misses Newton (Catawba County), barely misses Graham (Alamance County) and runs through a sliver of Randolph County and a sliver of Jones County.  Historically, US-70 didn't enter either Randolph or Jones counties, making it 16/18.

US-70 also misses Guilford Courthouse (which hasn't been the county seat for many years).

NC-10 (the predecessor of US-70) was also routed through Newton and Graham.  Ironically, it didn't hit Marshall but was routed through Bryson City (now US-19).  That was 18/19 counties.

Dirt Roads

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2022, 11:38:46 PM »

The famous Murphy -to- Manteo route (US-64) hits 20 county seats across North Carolina:  Murphy (Cherokee County), Hayesville (Clay County), Franklin (Macon County), Brevard (Transylvania County), Hendersonville (Henderson County), Rutherfordton (Rutherford County), Morganton (Burke County), Lenoir (Caldwell County), Taylorsville (Alexander County), Statesville (Iredell County), Mocksville (Davie County), Asheboro (Randolph County), Pittsboro (Chatham County), Raleigh (Wake County), Nashville (Nash County), Tarboro (Edgecombe County), Williamston (Martin County), Plymouth (Washington County), Columbia (Tyrrell  County) and Manteo (Dare County).  However, it still misses 3 county seats as it skips through Jackson County and Davidson County and just clips Franklin County.

Fun fact: Manteo is the only county seat in North Carolina not on the mainland.

SD Mapman

• The best pace is a pace, and today is a good day.

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 10:09:15 PM
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2022, 11:54:01 PM »

US 85 in SD (Deadwood, Belle Fourche, Buffalo)
I-80 in WY (Evanston, Green River, Rawlins, Laramie, Cheyenne, yes it only goes through 5 counties)
I-25 in WY (Cheyenne, Wheatland, Douglas, Casper, Buffalo)
US 87 in WY (Cheyenne, Wheatland, Douglas, Casper, Buffalo, Sheridan)
I-90 in WY (Sheridan, Buffalo, Gillette, Sundance, yes it only goes through 4 counties)
US 30 in WY (Kemmerer, Green River, Rawlins, Laramie, Cheyenne)
US 85 in WY (Cheyenne, Torrington, Lusk, Newcastle)

Wyoming has a lot of these, having only 23 counties helps I guess.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Flint1979

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2022, 08:43:17 AM »

I-75 in Michigan almost hits every county seat. You have Monroe, Detroit, Pontiac, Flint, Saginaw, Bay City, Standish, West Branch, Roscommon, Grayling, Gaylord, St. Ignace and Sault Ste. Marie. The only two it's missing is Petoskey and Cheboygan. It barely misses a few of the ones I included that it does go through like Pontiac, Saginaw and Bay City but it's honestly close enough.

I-69 doesn't hit all the county seats, it hits Port Huron, Lapeer, Flint, Charlotte, Marshall and Coldwater. It misses St. Johns and Corunna.

I-96 hits Muskegon, Grand Rapids, misses Ionia by about 7 miles, also misses Charlotte and Mason, does hit Howell though, misses Pontiac and hits Detroit.

Dirt Roads

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2022, 02:30:52 PM »

US-74 hits 17 county seats across North Carolina: Murphy (Cherokee County), Bryson City (Swain County), Sylva (Jackson County), Waynesville (Haywood County), Asheville (Buncombe County), Hendersonville (Henderson County), Columbus (Polk County), Shelby (Cleveland County), Gastonia (Gaston County), Charlotte (Mecklenburg County), Monroe (Union County), Wadesboro (Anson County), Rockingham (Richmond County), Laurinburg (Scotland County), Lumberton (Robeson County), Whiteville (Columbus County) and Wilmington (New Hanover County).  Even then, US-74 still misses 3 of them as it passes through Graham County, Rutherford County and Brunswick County.

BlueOutback7

• I-5 to Finland or bust!

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:11:24 PM
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2022, 02:55:45 PM »

For Massachusetts, I-91 is the only Interstate in the state that goes through all its county seats excluding 3dis.

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

michravera

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:31:22 PM
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2022, 03:11:26 PM »

US 101 in CA comes close, but misses one county seat out of all the counties it’s aligned through. San Benito is the one exception as Hollister, not on the route is it’s seat.

CASR-99 also misses only Oroville.

Occidental Tourist

• Last Login: January 07, 2024, 03:25:40 AM
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2022, 02:52:57 AM »

US 101 in CA comes close, but misses one county seat out of all the counties it’s aligned through. San Benito is the one exception as Hollister, not on the route is it’s seat.

CASR-99 also misses only Oroville.

I-8, CA-140, and CA-17 all qualify, although none are super impressive with only two counties each.  CA-140 also cuts it super close depending on whether its western end is considered to end at the center of the bridge crossing I-5 or at the western end of that bridge.  I cannot find any postmile information showing that it has Stanislaus County mileage, so I’ll presume it ends in Merced County right at the Merced/Stanislaus County Line.

The longest seems to be CA-82 with three whole counties, and man, it barely qualifies.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 02:56:13 AM by Occidental Tourist »

Dirt Roads

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2022, 11:17:30 AM »

US-52 hits six county seats in North Carolina with Mount Airy (Surry County), Winston-Salem (Forysth County), Lexington (Davidson County), Spencer (Salisbury County), Albemarle (Stanly County) and Wadesboro (Anson County), but misses two as it cuts through a sliver of Stokes County and a sliver of Cabarrus County.  But it also picks up the fictional county seat of Mount Pilot in the Andy Griffith Show (actual name of the town is Pilot Mountain, also in Surry County).  Alas, Mayberry wasn't a county seat in the Andy Griffith Show but it was somehow the location of the Sheriff's Office (and was based on the real town of Mount Airy, which is truly the county seat).

On that same Mayberry theme, US-64 and US-421 go through the fictional county seat of Siler City (which is a real town of that same name, but not the real county seat of Chatham County).

oscar

• Last Login: Today at 01:35:29 AM
    • my Hot Springs and Highways pages
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2022, 11:49:45 AM »

US-52 hits six county seats in North Carolina with Mount Airy (Surry County), Winston-Salem (Forysth County), Lexington (Davidson County), Spencer (Salisbury County), Albemarle (Stanly County) and Wadesboro (Anson County), but misses two as it cuts through a sliver of Stokes County and a sliver of Cabarrus County.  But it also picks up the fictional county seat of Mount Pilot in the Andy Griffith Show (actual name of the town is Pilot Mountain, also in Surry County).  Alas, Mayberry wasn't a county seat in the Andy Griffith Show but it was somehow the location of the Sheriff's Office (and was based on the real town of Mount Airy, which is truly the county seat).

Surry County's seat is Dobson (on Bus US 601, not US 52), not Mt. Airy. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JREwing78

• Last Login: Today at 02:21:41 AM
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2022, 02:36:32 PM »

US-127 almost continues the tradition into Michigan. Splitting the Hillsdale/Lenawee county line, it misses both Hillsdale and Adrian. Then it hits every seat northward until Roscommon County.

Roll back to the days of US-27 in Michigan (US-127 supplanted it north of Lansing, and I-69 absorbed it south of Lansing), the only county seat it missed was Roscommon.

US-41 looks like it might nail it in Michigan, but Keweenaw (barely) and Alger counties eliminate it.

US-31 in Michigan used to contact every county seat except Antrim. The pedantic out there will note it just barely goes into Cheboygan County (though historically it only rode the county line, and do the ramps to/from I-75 count?). The same pedantic folk will note it barely misses Ludington, and the freeway reroutes around St. Joseph and Benton Harbor turn it into a near miss.  But close enough.

I-75, if you're not asking the pedantics, nails every county seat in Michigan except Cheboygan. It comes within 500 yards of touching Gladwin County, but no closer.

GaryV

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:10:05 PM
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2022, 02:42:07 PM »

US-31 in Michigan used to contact every county seat except Antrim. The pedantic out there will note it just barely goes into Cheboygan County (though historically it only rode the county line, and do the ramps to/from I-75 count?). The same pedantic folk will note it barely misses Ludington, and the freeway reroutes around St. Joseph and Benton Harbor turn it into a near miss.  But close enough.
Allegan says hello.

Flint1979

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2022, 03:00:17 PM »

US-127 almost continues the tradition into Michigan. Splitting the Hillsdale/Lenawee county line, it misses both Hillsdale and Adrian. Then it hits every seat northward until Roscommon County.

Roll back to the days of US-27 in Michigan (US-127 supplanted it north of Lansing, and I-69 absorbed it south of Lansing), the only county seat it missed was Roscommon.

US-41 looks like it might nail it in Michigan, but Keweenaw (barely) and Alger counties eliminate it.

I-75, if you're not asking the pedantics, nails every county seat in Michigan except Cheboygan. It comes within 500 yards of touching Gladwin County, but no closer.
And Emmet County as I mentioned above. US-31 doesn't go through Allegan either as GaryV pointed out. And the ramps to and from I-75 should count since US-31 ends at I-75 not Mackinaw Highway.

JREwing78

« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2022, 04:50:02 PM »

Now to Wisconsin. And seriously, the highways in this state take some strange paths. I never would've thought of tying together Withee and Edgerton together with the same route number.

I don't see any routes that cross the state that don't miss at least one county seat along the way.   I'm just naming off the seats themselves as it's easier.

US-2:
Hits: Superior, Ashland
Misses: Washburn, Hurley (barely - you could argue for a hit here)

US-8:
Hits: Barron, Ladysmith, Rhinelander, Crandon,
Misses: Balsam Lake, Phillips, Merrill, Marinette

US-10:
Hits: Ellsworth, Durand, Neillsville, Stevens Point, Waupaca, Manitowoc
Misses: Alma, Whitehall, Black River Falls, Wisconsin Rapids, Oshkosh, Chilton,

Hwy 11:
Hits: Monroe, Janesville, Elkhorn, Racine
Misses: Lancaster, Darlington

US-12:
Hits: Hudson, Menomonie, Eau Claire, Black River Falls, Mauston, Baraboo, Madison, Elkhorn
Misses: Neillsville, Sparta, Jefferson, Janesville (just barely touches Rock County),

Hwy 13:
Hits: Washburn, Ashland, Phillips, Medford, Wisconsin Rapids, Friendship,
Misses: Superior (barely), Wausau, Neillsville, Stevens Point, Baraboo

US-14:
Hits: LaCrosse, Viroqua, Richland Center, Madison, Janesville
Misses: Baraboo, Dodgeville, Elkhorn
(WisDOT doesn't acknowledge it ever enters Crawford County)

Hwy 16:
Hits: La Crosse, Sparta, Mauston, Portage, Waukesha, Milwaukee
Misses: Baraboo, Juneau

US-18:
Hits: Prairie du Chein, Dodgeville, Madison, Jefferson, Waukesha, Milwaukee
Misses: Lancaster

Hwy 21:
Hits: Sparta, Wautoma, Oshkosh
Misses: Mauston, Friendship (just barely)

Hwy 22:
Hits: Oconto, Shawano, Waupaca, Wautoma, Montello
Misses: Portage

Hwy 23:
Hits: Darlington, Dodgeville, Montello, Fond du Lac, Sheboygan
Misses: Baraboo, Friendship

Hwy 26:
Hits: Juneau, Jefferson, Janesville
Misses: Oshkosh (though historically it hits), Fond du Lac

Hwy 27:
Hits: Hayward, Ladysmith, Black River Falls, Sparta, Viroqua, Prairie Du Chein
Misses: Superior, Washburn, Chippewa Falls, Eau Claire

Hwy 29:
Hits: Menomonie, Chippewa Falls, Wausau, Shawano, Green Bay, Kewaunee
Misses: Ellsworth, Hudson, Neillsville

Hwy 32:
Hits: Eagle River, Crandon, Green Bay, Chilton, Port Washington, Milwaukee, Racine, Kenosha
Misses: Rhinelander, Oconto, Shawano (for the pedantic), Manitowoc, Sheboygan

Hwy 33:
Hits: La Crosse, Baraboo, Portage, West Bend, Port Washington
Misses: Sparta, Viroqua, Mauston, Juneau (near miss)

Hwy 35:
Hits: Superior, Siren, Hudson, Alma, La Crosse, Prairie du Chein, Lancaster
Misses: Balsam Lake, Ellsworth, Whitehall, Viroqua

I-39:
Hits: Stevens Point, Portage, Madison, Janesville
Misses: Wausau, Wautoma, Montello

US-41 (standalone):
Hits: Marinette, Oconto

US-41/I-41: Green Bay, Appleton, Oshkosh, Fond du Lac, Milwaukee, Kenosha
Misses: Juneau, West Bend, Racine

I-43:
Hits: Green Bay, Manitowoc, Sheboygan, Port Washington, Milwaukee, Elkhorn
Misses: Waukesha, Janesville

US-45:
Hits: Eagle River, Antigo, Oshkosh, Fond du Lac, West Bend, Milwaukee
Misses: Rhinelander, Shawano, Waupaca, Appleton, Waukesha, Racine, Kenosha

US-51:
Hits: Hurley, Merrill, Wausau, Stevens Point, Portage, Madison, Janesville
Misses: Eagle River, Rhinelander, Wautoma, Montello

US-53:
Hits: Superior, Chippewa Falls, Eau Claire, Whitehall, LaCrosse
Misses: Shell Lake, Barron (just barely)

Hwy 57:
Hits: Sturgeon Bay, Green Bay, Chilton, Port Washington, Milwaukee,
Misses: Kewaunee, Manitowoc, Sheboygan

Hwy 60:
Hits: None!
Misses: Prairie du Chein, Richland Center, Baraboo, Portage, Juneau, West Bend, Port Washington

US-61:
Hits: LaCrosse, Viroqua, Lancaster
Misses: Prairie du Chein

US-63:
Hits: Ellsworth, Shell Lake, Hayward,
Misses: Hudson, Balsam Lake, Barron, Washburn, Ashland

Hwy 64:
Hits: Medford, Merrill, Antigo, Marinette
Misses: Hudson, Menomonie, Chippewa Falls, Oconto

Hwy 67:
Hits: Elkhorn,
Misses: Janesville, Waukesha, Juneau, Fond du Lac, Sheboygan, Manitowoc

Hwy 70:
Hits: Siren, Eagle River, Florence
Misses: Shell Lake, Hayward, Phillips, Rhinelander, Crandon

Hwy 73:
Hits: Neillsville, Wisconsin Rapids, Wautoma
Misses: Ladysmith, Medford, Stevens Point (for the pedantic), Montello, Green Lake, Portage, Juneau, Madison

Hwy 80:
Hits: Richland Center
Misses: Wisconsin Rapids, Mauston, Viroqua, Lancaster, Dodgeville, Darlington

I-90:
Hits: LaCrosse, Sparta, Mauston, Madison, Janesville
Misses: Baraboo, Portage

I-94:
Hits: Hudson, Menomonie, Eau Claire, Black River Falls, Madison (barely), Waukesha, Milwaukee, Kenosha
Misses: Whitehall, Sparta, Baraboo, Portage, Jefferson, Racine

US-141:
Hits: Green Bay
Misses: Marinette

(Historic) US-141:
Hits: Green Bay, Manitowoc, Sheboygan, Port Washington, Milwaukee
Misses: Marinette

US-151:
Hits: Dodgeville, Madison, Fond du Lac, Chilton, Manitowoc
Misses: Lancaster, Darlington, Portage, Juneau

JREwing78

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2022, 04:58:36 PM »

Allegan says hello.

Allegan is definitely a miss for US-31. Good catch!

And Emmet County as I mentioned above. US-31 doesn't go through Allegan either as GaryV pointed out. And the ramps to and from I-75 should count since US-31 ends at I-75 not Mackinaw Highway.

Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about with Emmet County.

Emmet County's seat is Petoskey, which US-31 most certainly goes through. US-27 only made the hop onto the Mackinac Bridge for a few years.

I-75 definitely is inside Emmet County for a bit. So that's a miss there.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 05:01:10 PM by JREwing78 »

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 01:10:29 AM
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2022, 07:19:22 PM »

A breakdown of MN in the style of JR

I-35:
Hits: Albert Lea, Owatonna, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Faribault, Pine City, Duluth
Misses: Shakppee, Hastings, Anoka, Stillwater, Center City, Carlton

I-90:
Hits: Luverne, Worthington, Jackson, Fairmont, Blue Earth, Albert Lea, Austin
Misses: Rochester, Winona

I-94:
Hits: Moorhead, Fergus Falls, Alexandria, St. Cloud (arguable), Minneapolis/St. Paul
Misses: Breckenridge, Elbow Lake, Long Prairie, Buffalo, Stillwater

US 2:
Hits: Duluth, Grand Rapids, Bemidji, Bagley, Crookston
Misses: Aitkin, Walker, Park Rapids

US 8 (historic)
Hits: Center City, Minneapolis
Misses: Anoka, St. Paul

US 10:
Hits: Hastings, St. Paul, Anoka, Elk River, Little Falls, Wadena, Detroit Lakes, Moorhead
Misses: Stillwater, Foley, Long Prairie, Fergus Falls

US 12:
Hits: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Litchfield, Willmar, Benson, Ortonville
Misses: Buffalo, Stillwater

US 14:
Hits: New Ulm, Mankato, Waseca, Owatonna, Rochester, Winona
Misses: Ivanhoe, Marshall, Redwood Falls, St. Peter, Mantorville, Caledonia

US 16:
Hits: Luverne, Worthington, Jackson, Fairmont, Blue Earth, Albert Lea, Austin, Preston
Misses: Caledonia

US 52 (historic):
Hits: Moorhead, Fergus Falls, Alexandria, St. Cloud (arguable), Elk River, Anoka, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Rochester, Preston
Misses: Breckenridge, Elbow Lake, Long Prairie, Buffalo, Hastings, Red Wing

US 59:
Hits: Worthington, Slayton, Marshall, Montevideo, Morris, Elbow Lake, Fergus Falls, Detroit Lakes, Mahnomen, Thief River Falls
Misses: Granite Falls, Madison, Benson, Crookston, Red Lake Falls, Warren, Hallock

US 61 (historic):
Hits: Winona, Red Wing, Hastings, St. Paul, Pine City, Carlton, Duluth, Two Harbors, Grand Marais (the latter three are still on modern MN 61
Misses: Caledonia, Stillwater, Center City

US 63:
Hits: Red Wing, Rochester
Misses: Austin, Preston

US 65 (historic)
Hits: Albert Lea, Owatonna, Faribault, Minneapolis
Misses: Hastings

US 69:
Hits: Albert Lea
Misses: none

US 71:
Hits: Jackson, Windom, Redwood Falls, Olivia, Willmar, Long Prairie, Wadena, Park Rapids, Bemidji, International Falls
Misses: St. Cloud, Grand Rapids

US 75:
Hits: Luverne, Pipestone, Ivanhoe, Madison, Ortonville, Wheaton, Breckenridge, Moorhead, Crookston, Warren, Hallock
Misses: Granite Falls, Ada

US 169:
Hits: Blue Earth, Mankato, St. Peter, Shakopee, Anoka, Elk River, Princeton, Aitkin, Grand Rapids
Misses: Le Center, Minneapolis (historic, arguable today), Brainerd, Duluth

US 212:
Hits: Montevideo, Granite Falls, Olivia, Glencoe, Chaska, Minneapolis (historic, arguable today), St. Paul
Misses: Madison

US 218:
Hits: Austin, Owatonna
Misses: Mantorville

MN 1:
Hits: Warren, Thief River Falls
Misses: Bemidji, Bagley, International Falls, Grand Rapids, Duluth, Two Harbors

MN 11:
Hits: Roseau, Baudette, International Falls
Misses: Hallock

MN 23
Hits: Pipestone, Marshall, Granite Falls, Willmar, St. Cloud, Foley, Mora, Duluth
Misses: Luverne, Ivanhoe, Montevideo, Princeton, Pine City, Carlton

MN 27
Hits: Wheaton, Alexandria, Long Prairie, Little Falls
Misses: Elbow Lake, Princeton, Mora, Aitkin, Carlton

MN 30
Hits: Pipestone, Slayton, St. James, Rochester
Misses: Windom, Mankato, Waseca, Owatonna, Mantorville, Preston

MN 55:
Hits: Elbow Lake, Glenwood, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Hastings
Misses: Breckenridge, Alexandria, Willmar, St. Cloud

MN 60:
Hits: Worthington, Windom, St. James, Mankato, Faribault, Wabasha
Misses: Jackson, Le Center, Red Wing

MN 65
Hits: Minneapolis, Cambridge, Mora
Misses: Anoka, Aitkin, Grand Rapids, International Falls
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 07:36:39 PM by TheHighwayMan394 »
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cl94

• Helping to break everyone's Sierra clinches

• Last Login: Today at 01:41:34 AM
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2022, 07:31:16 PM »

If we want to exclude roads that are only in one county (or never leave NYC), NY doesn't have a ton of these. But here we go...

I-787: Albany (Albany) and Troy (Rensselaer)
NY 9G: Poughkeepsie (Dutchess) and Hudson (Columbia)
NY 17C: Owego (Tioga) and Binghamton (Broome)
NY 25: Jamaica (Queens), Mineola (Nassau), and Riverhead (Suffolk)
NY 33: Buffalo (Erie), Batavia (Genesee), and Rochester (Monroe)
NY 66: Hudson (Columbia) and Troy (Rensselaer)

I-684 maaaaaaaay qualify. South end is on the border of White Plains (Westchester) and north end is within Carmel town (Putnam), both of which are county seats.

It is possible there are others I'm missing, but there are a lot of near-misses in this state. Several counties have seats which aren't what you would expect. I-190 misses Lockport (Niagara), NY 5 misses Mayville (Chautauqua) and Geneseo (Livingston), NY 32 misses Catskill (Greene) and Ballston Spa (Saratoga), US 9 misses Carmel (Putnam) and Ballston Spa (Saratoga), US 11 misses Oswego (Oswego) and Plattsburgh (Clinton).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Dirt Roads

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2022, 09:54:35 PM »

Surry County's seat is Dobson (on Bus US 601, not US 52), not Mt. Airy.

Oops.  I know Dobson well and wasn't thinking.  Guess I caught up in Andy Griffith's world while researching US-421 (which didn't warrant posting).  I think I'll have another Big Orange.

Fun fact:  A close friend of mine passed away last year at age 91.  Over the years he was frequently mistaken as Andy Griffith, a problem that increased 100-fold when he moved from Michigan to North Carolina about 20 years ago.  After he retired, he started doing a comedy schtick called Almost Andy.  As best as he could tell, he was the only Andy Griffith look-a-like.

Flint1979

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2022, 10:55:23 PM »

Allegan says hello.

Allegan is definitely a miss for US-31. Good catch!

Took me a minute to figure out what you were talking about with Emmet County.

Emmet County's seat is Petoskey, which US-31 most certainly goes through. US-27 only made the hop onto the Mackinac Bridge for a few years.

I-75 definitely is inside Emmet County for a bit. So that's a miss there.
When I said Emmet County I was talking about I-75 not US-31.

Dirt Roads

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2022, 07:04:39 PM »

West Virginia

Although there's already a bunch posted from West Virginia, it seems appropriate to post the entire list in a modified JREwing78 format.  "Wild and Wonderful" West Virginia is also the home of the most "one-hit wonders".  Counties are in (parentheses).  Near-miss county seats include the courthouse location.  Counties where the route barely cuts through a sliver are in ((double parentheses)).

WV-2 (231 miles)
Hits: Huntington (Cabell), Pt. Pleasant (Mason), Parkersburg (Wood), St. Marys (Pleasants), Sistersville (Tyler), New Martinsville (Wetzel), Moundsville (Marshall), Wheeling (Ohio), Wellsville (Brooke), Weirton (Hancock)
Misses: (Jackson)

WV-3 (186 miles)
Hits: Hamlin (Lincoln), Beckley (Raleigh), Hinton (Summers), Union (Monroe)
Misses: (Boone), (Greenbrier)

WV-7 (103 miles)
Hits: Kingwood (Preston), Morgantown (Monongalia), New Martinsville (Wetzel)
Misses: None

WV-10 (145 miles)
Hits: Pineville (Wyoming), Huntington (Cabell)
Misses: (Mercer), (Logan), (Lincoln)

US-11 (26 miles)
Hits: Martinsburg (Berkeley)

WV-16 (253 miles)
Hits: Welch (McDowell), Pineville (Wyoming), Beckley (Raleigh), Fayetteville (Fayette), Clay (Clay), Grantsville (Calhoun), Harrisville (Ritchie), St. Marys (Pleasants)

US-19 (254 miles)
Hits: Princeton (Mercer), Beckley (Raleigh), Fayetteville (Fayette)*, Summersville (Nicholas), Sutton (Braxton)*, Weston (Lewis), Clarksburg (Harrison), Fairmont (Marion), Morgantown (Monongalia)
* Prior to Corridor L, US-19 missed Fayetteville.
** After completion of the northern section of Corridor L, US-19 missed both Sutton and Fayetteville.
*** After Corridor L was fully completed, US-19 hit Fayetteville (but bypassed Sutton).
**** Today, there are exclaves of Sutton annexed on both sides of I-79.

WV-20 (256 miles)
Hits: Princeton (Mercer), Hinton (Summers), Webster Springs (Webster), Buckhannon (Upshur), Clarksburg (Harrison)
Misses: (Greenbrier), (Nicholas), (Wetzel)

US-21 (decommissioned)
Hits: Princeton (Mercer), Beckley (Raleigh), Fayetteville (Fayette), Charleston (Kanawha), Ripley (Jackson), Parkersburg (Wood)
* Bonus:  Before the Rockport cuth-through was completed, US-21 was also temporarily routed through Spencer (Roane).

US-22 (6 miles)
Hits: Weirton (Hancock)

WV-28 (151 miles)
Hits: Petersburg (Grant), Moorefield (Hardy), Romney (Hampshire)
Misses: (Pocahontas), (Pendleton), (Mineral)

US-30 (3 miles)
Hits: None
Misses: ((Hancock))

US-33 (248 miles)
Hits: Ripley (Jackson), Spencer (Roane), Glenville (Gilmer), Weston (Lewis), Buckhannon (Upshur), Elkins (Randolph), Franklin (Pendleton)
Misses: (Calhoun), (Barbour)

US-35 (37 miles)
Hits: None
Misses: (Putnam*), Pt. Pleasant* (Mason)
* Bonus:  US-35 once hit both Pt. Pleasant and Winfield, but never at the same time.

US-40 (16 miles)
Hits: Wheeling (Ohio)

US-48 (143 miles)
Hits: Moorefield (Hardy), Elkins (Randolph), Buckhannon (Upshur)
Misses: (Grant), Parsons (Tucker)*, (Barbour), Weston (Lewis)**
* Upon completion of Corridor H, US-48 will hit Parsons.
** US-48 misses Weston by stopping just short at I-79, but there is an exclave of Weston east of I-79

US-50 (196 miles)
Hits: Parkersburg (Wood), West Union (Doddridge), Clarksburg (Harrison), Grafton (Taylor), Romney (Hampshire)
Misses: Harrisville (Ritchie), (Preston), (Grant), (Mineral)

US-52 (185 miles*)
Hits: Welch (McDowell), Williamson (Mingo), Huntington (Cabell)
Misses: (Mercer), (Wyoming), (Wayne)**
* Several of these route miles are in Kentucky but maintained by WVDOH.
** Bonus: Previously routed through Wayne (Wayne).

US-60 (178 miles)
Hits:  Huntington (Cabell), Charleston (Kanawha), Lewisburg (Greenbrier)
Misses: (Putnam), (Fayette)

I-64 (189 miles)
Hits:  Huntington (Cabell), Charleston (Kanawha), Beckley (Raleigh), Lewisburg (Greenbrier)*
Misses: (Putnam), (Fayette), (Summers)
* Upon completion of the eastern section, I-64 originally missed Lewisburg; town has since annexed beyond I-64.

I-70 (14 miles)

I-77 (187 miles)
Hits: Princeton* (Mercer), Beckley (Raleigh), Charleston (Kanawha), Ripley (Jackson), Parkersburg (Wood)
Misses: (Fayette)
* Upon completion, I-77 originally missed Princeton; town has since annexed beyond the Turnpike.

I-79 (161 miles)
Hits: Charleston (Kanawha), Sutton (Braxton)*, Weston** (Lewis), Clarksburg** (Harrison), Fairmont (Marion), Morgantown** (Monongalia)
Misses: (Roane), (Clay), ((Gilmer))
* I-79 originally bypassed Sutton.  Today, there are exclaves of Sutton annexed on both sides of I-79.
** I-79 originally bypassed Weston, Clarksburg and Morgantown; all three have now annexed up to the Interstate.

I-81 (26 miles)
Hits: Martinsburg (Berkeley)

WV-92 (162 miles)
Hits: Elkins (Randolph)
Misses:  (Greenbrier), (Pocahontas), (Barbour), (Preston)

US-119 (280 miles)
Hits: Williamson (Mingo), Charleston (Kanawha), Spencer (Roane), Glenville (Gilmer), Weston (Lewis), Buckhannon (Upshur), Philippi (Barbour), Grafton (Taylor), Morgantown (Monongalia)
Misses: Logan* (Logan), (Boone*), ((Lincoln**))
* Double bonus:  Prior to completion of Corridor G, US-119 also hit Logan and Madison
** Before completion of Corridor G, US-119 did not enter Lincoln County

US-219* (196 miles)
Hits: Union (Monroe), Lewisburg (Greenbrier), Marlinton (Pocahontas), Elkins (Randolph), Parsons (Tucker)
Misses: ((Preston))
* Bonus:  Prior to decommissioning in the counties of Mercer and Giles (Virginia), US-219 also hit Princeton (Mercer)

US-220 (93 miles)
Hits: Franklin (Pendleton), Petersburg (Grant), Moorefield (Hardy), Keyser (Mineral)
Misses: (Hampshire)

US-250 (194 miles)
Hits: Elkins (Randolph), Philippi (Barbour), Fairmont (Marion), Moundsville (Marshall), Wheeling (Ohio)
Misses: (Pocahontas), Grafton (Taylor), (Wetzel)

US-340 (26 miles)
Hits: Charles Town (Jefferson)

US-460 (22 miles)
Hits: Princeton* (Mercer)
* After completion of Corridor Q, US-460 bypassed Princeton; town has since annexed along US-460.

I-470 (4 miles)

US-522 (19 miles)
Hits: Berkeley Springs (Morgan)

Great Lakes Roads

• Always gotta stop at a Buc-ee's!

• Last Login: Today at 01:12:12 AM
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2022, 01:41:34 AM »

Indiana

I might as well do Indiana, so here it goes with the Interstates and the US Routes.

I-64
Hits: Harrison (passes Corydon on the north), Floyd
Misses: Posey, Vanderburgh, Gibson, Warrick, Dubois, Spencer, Perry, Crawford

I-65
Hits: Clark, Scott, Bartholomew, Johnson, Marion, Lebanon, Tippecanoe, Jasper, Lake
Misses: Jackson, Shelby, Hendricks, Clinton, White, Newton

I-69
Hits: Vanderburgh, Pike (passes Petersburg a mile south of the city), Daviess, Monroe, Morgan, Marion, Madison, Grant, Allen, Delkab, Steuben
Misses: Warrick, Gibson, Greene, Johnson, Hamilton, Delaware, Huntington, Wells

I-70
Hits: Vigo, Marion, Hancock, Henry, Wayne
Misses: Clay, Putnam, Morgan, Hendricks

I-74
Hits: Montgomery, Marion, Shelby, Decatur
Misses: Vermillion, Fountain (passes Covington ~.5 miles south), Boone, Hendricks, Franklin, Ripley, Dearborn

I-80/90
Hits: St. Joseph
Misses: Lake, Porter, La Porte, Elkhart, Lagrange, Steuben

I-94
Hits: none
Misses: Lake, Porter, La Porte

US 6
Misses: Lake, Porter, La Porte, St. Joseph, Marshall, Elkhart, Noble, Dekalb

US 12
Misses: Lake, Porter, La Porte

US 20
Hits: St. Joseph, Lagrange, Steuben
Misses: Lake, Porter, La Porte, Elkhart

US 24
Hits: Newton, White, Cass, Miami, Wabash, Huntington, Allen
Misses: Jasper, Whitley

US 27
Hits: Union, Wayne, Randolph, Jay, Adams, Allen
Misses: none

US 30
Hits: Porter, Marshall, Kosciusko, Whitley, Allen
Misses: Lake, La Porte, Starke

US 31
Hits: Clark, Scott, Bartholomew, Johnson, Marion, Howard, Miami, Fulton, Marshall, St. Joesph
Misses: Jackson, Hamilton, Tipton

US 33
Hits: Adams, Allen, Elkhart
Misses: Whitley, Noble

US 35
Hits: Wayne, Muncie, Howard, Cass, Pulaski, Starke, La Porte
Misses: Randolph, Henry, Grant

US 36
Hits: Parke, Hendricks, Marion
Misses: Vermillion, Putnam, Hancock, Madison, Henry, Randolph

US 40
Hits: Vigo, Clay, Marion, Hancock, Wayne
Misses: Putnam, Hendricks, Henry

US 41
Hits: Vanderburgh, Gibson, Knox, Sullivan, Vigo, Parke, Newton
Misses: Fountain, Warren, Benton, Lake

US 50
Hits: Knox, Daviess, Martin, Lawrence, Jackson, Ripley, Dearborn
Misses: Jennings

US 52
Hits: Newton, Benton, Tippecanoe, Boone, Marion, Rush, Franklin
Misses: Clinton, Hamilton, Hancock, Shelby, Dearborn

US 131
Misses: Elkhart

US 136
Hits: Fountain, Montgomery, Marion
Misses: Vermillion, Warren, Boone, Hendricks

US 150
Hits: Vigo, Sullivan, Knox, Daviess, Martin, Orange, Floyd
Misses: Vermillion, Washington, Harrison

US 224
Hits: Huntington, Adams
Misses: Wells

US 231
Hits: Dubois, Martin, Greene, Owen, Putnam, Montgomery, Tippecanoe, Jasper, Lake
Misses: Spencer, Daviess, White, Porter

US 421
Hits: Jefferson, Ripley, Decatur, Shelby, Marion, Clinton, White
Misses: Hamilton, Boone, Pulaski, Starke, La Porte

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.