News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads not numbered that get used as connectors

Started by roadman65, December 19, 2022, 06:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/STdqg3ernGtMJ3fN8
This is 77th Street near Ocala that as the caption shows is heavily used. That's because it's a shortcut between US 301 and SR 326 where drivers going between I-75 and US 301 use FL 326 to connect.  However most drivers cut off at 77th Street to save some mileage or are being directed there via Waze or another GPS app.

Interesting is FDOT don't have TO shields between the two directing I-75 bound motorists from US 301 to turn at 77th Street or US 301 (and US 441) Northbound shields where 77th Diverges from FL 326 heading east from I-75, but understandable. It's the choice of the driver that creates this unsigned route that is part of their own route connecting two major highways.

Any other road that is not a numbered route that many drivers use as part of a long distance travel to connect other highways?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Also the Berkshire Connector between I-87 and I-90 south of Albany, which is signed with the Thruway logo but no number.

NWI_Irish96

In Indiana:

Lafayette Center Rd in Allen County is a connector between US 24 and I-69/I-469
CR 100 N in Fulton County is a connector between IN 19 and IN 14
CR 33 in Elkhart County is a connector between US 33 and IN 13
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jp the roadgeek

A few in CT (though they have internal numbers)

Milford Connector between US 1, I-95, and CT 15 (SR 796)
Conlan-Whitehead Highway in Hartford (once planned as I-484, now SR 598)
Eastern stub of the CT Turnpike from I-395 to US 6 in Killingly (SR 695)
Willow Brook Connector in Berlin off of CT 9 (SR 571) to CT 71 and CT 71A
The end of the Bradley Connector between CT 20 and the airport (SSR 401)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

GaryV

16 Mile / aka Big Beaver / aka Metro Parkway in the Detroit suburbs. Parts of it are 3-4 lanes (each way) divided, with some restricted access.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on December 19, 2022, 04:51:15 PM
Also the Berkshire Connector between I-87 and I-90 south of Albany, which is signed with the Thruway logo but no number.
Reference route...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on December 19, 2022, 06:48:40 PM
Reference route...

OP will have to specify whether reference routes qualify.

vdeane

Quote from: Rothman on December 19, 2022, 06:48:40 PM
Reference route...
912M, specifically.

There's also 915H, that piece of Thruway between I-87 and I-90 at exit 24.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kirbykart

I know the signed reference route near Arkport is 961F. The connector road by Bemus Point is 950H, and I think the road between NY 417 and Route 17 Exit 23 is 952T. West Five Mile Road between NY 417 and Route 17 Exit 24 has a reference route number also; so does West Perimeter Road.

Is Boston State Road a reference route? I always thought that would make a great southwards extension of NY 391, then if the 219 expressway gets finished to Salamanca, NY 391 could take over the old alignment.

kphoger

For a state as number-happy as Texas, it's surprising that the western bypass around Weatherford (a connector between FM-51 and I-20) isn't a numbered state route.  The southern half even has AADTs of 12k—15k.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kirbykart

Ted$8roadFan

Plimoth Plantation Highway that connects MA-3 with MA-3A in Plymouth, MA.

MATraveler128

Also in Massachusetts not yet mentioned is the Lowell Connector although it used to be the Bay State's only business Interstate known as BS 495.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

gonealookin

In Silver Springs, Nevada, the Ramsey Weeks Cutoff is pretty heavily used as a connector between US 50 and Alternate US 95.  It has gained additional traffic since the opening a few years ago of Nevada 439/USA Parkway which brings traffic from I-80 to the north and requires just a short jog on US 50 to access the cutoff.

https://goo.gl/maps/TrZ69X4f2HjNDbFP9

hbelkins

Man O'War Boulevard in Lexington.

Morton Boulevard in Hazard.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hunty2022

Leonard Sandridge Road connects UVA to US 29/250, I don't think it's numbered.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

kurumi

The Slater Road Connector from I-84 in New Britain does not even have an unposted state road number, though it is state maintained: it's officially just a set of long ramps. Generally, if the same situation involved a once-proposed freeway extension (like SR 500, 501, 503, 504, 597) or a freeway connector to a state road (693, 794, etc.) then it would get a number ... but neither of those apply here.

The short Route 25 connector/stub in Newtown at I-84 exit 11 also has no number at all.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Dirt Roads

Not sure if you include unposted secondary routes as "not numbered", but Wade Avenue (Wake County SR-1728) is the only secondary route to serve as a freeway in the state of North Carolina.  It serves as a major connector between I-40 and The Beltline (I-440), but also has two important exits:  (1) Edwards Mill Road, also serving Carter-Finley Stadium and that thing I still call the ESA (PNC Arena);  and (2) Blue Ridge Road, also serving the State Fairgrounds, NC State's Veterinary School and the North Carolina Museum of Art. 

Fun fact:  The Wade Avenue Freeway was originally posted as I-40, back in the days when the Beltline was only a northern/western arc and not signed as an Interstate route.

paulthemapguy

I remember using Jay Road as a connector between US36 and CO-119 in the Boulder, Colorado area.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.050747,-105.2449057,14.71z

Does this thread include the use of sidestreets as "ramps" between numbered highways?  Because then, I might bring up instances of this happening at IL-53 and IL-38, and again at IL-59 and IL-38.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

JayhawkCO

The first thing that jumped to mind for me is the Banks-Lowman Road in Idaho.

Very busy road for the area, one of two routes from Boise to the Sawtooths, and the quickest way between Stanley and McCall. So busy that IDOT has a flagger at the intersection with ID55 and B-L Road in the summertime.

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on December 21, 2022, 10:01:40 AM
Does this thread include the use of sidestreets as "ramps" between numbered highways?  Because then, I might bring up instances of this happening at IL-53 and IL-38, and again at IL-59 and IL-38.

Don't forget IL-83 and IL-19.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hobart

Many roads in the south suburbs of Chicagoland qualify for this category. There's some really goofy county issued numbers for Cook County but they're rarely signed. Maybe this isn't connector use per se, but it is at least a significant amount of usage for a non-numbered route. These also pull from my own experience, so they could be completely wrong!

183rd Street is a de-facto alternative route for 159th Street (US 6), especially the portion between Harlem Avenue and Dixie Highway. 167th, 171st, 151st, and arguably 191st streets are often used the same way.

94th Avenue, and to less of an extent, Ravinia Avenue, in Orland Park, are used to avoid LaGrange Road (US 45). 80th and Oak Park are used to avoid Harlem (IL 43), and Ridgeland and Pulaski are used to avoid Cicero (IL 50, part of IL 83). The list goes on and on of south suburban Chicagoland streets being used to avoid the numbered highways the state gives us!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.