AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos  (Read 361356 times)

ethanhopkin14

• Last Login: November 20, 2023, 08:50:23 AM
Re: Highways / Signs in Movies, TV Shows, and Videos
« Reply #825 on: June 29, 2022, 10:49:34 AM »

Still wondering how they went from working at an appliance store to newspaper...
Larry also worked as a photographer taking pictures for the newspaper during the first season.

SM-S102DL
Eh, okay. I'm just going by my memory since I haven't seen the first season since it was broadcast.  I just remember thinking, "Okay, now they're in a newspaper office.  Wonder what happened there..." :D

Of course, we're talking 35 years ago or so... :D

Yeah, back when people could work in an appliance store and say, 'I want to work at a newspaper" and get the job with no formal education or training. 

It's sad how some of the hardest media jobs (Radio/TV/Print) to get into back then are some of the easiest today -- all you really need is a pulse.   

One of the biggest reasons why is that the pay is at or so close to minimum wage, the experienced people look elsewhere.

Over the weekend, in my town, there was a mass gathering and demonstration.  One pair of TV stations (owned by the same company) ran some PRE-RECORDED video of the event.  The particular clip ran in the top of the newscast tease, and again when the story was told in detail.

The same video clip was seen during the 5PM news on channel "A", the 5:30 news on channel "B", and both 10PM newscasts on both channels.

What was so interesting about the video clip???  In plain view, there was an "F**k _______" sign in the crowd going left to right across the screen! 

How did it slip by so many eyes when the B-roll was selected and edited?  And how come nobody caught it after the first airings at 5PM and deleted the video, or at least blur out the questionable text?

This is your future news and TV staff, who are quickly replacing the retiring veterans who actually cared about the product they put out.  Most of these on-camera people care more about their selfies on their Facebook & Twitter Feeds.

Also, now days, how many times have I read internet news articles with spelling errors, sentences written twice and overall bad grammar.  You used to read a news paper and it was written by the best writers in the world.  Now, its written by a bunch of knuckleheads no better then me. 

bing101

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:54:25 PM
« Reply #826 on: June 29, 2022, 11:46:10 AM »

I know that in Perfect Strangers, the Welcome to Chicago sign leaving ORD appears in the first season and in the remaining seasons when the long opening sequence is aired.  The short of the later seasons omits that, however its shown out of context in season one. 

Season one opener shows the two star characters traveling from their homelands to the big city.  Larry Appleton, who drove his Mustang from Madison, WI to his new home is shown passing under the I-190 Welcome sign which means to actually transit by it, you have to take a detour into O' Hare to accomplish that as no through roads lead through the airport to reach it especially if you take I-90, which is the main route from Madison to Chicago other than both US 12 & 14 that also do the trip, but none place you inside the airport to reach I-190 East.

I know in some sequences on Perfect Strangers I seen Larry Appleton and Balki on the road in the Los Angeles Area at:20 of the clip.

At 1:26 of the clip theres another LA area freeway but this time Balki is on the Bus on that one. These are cases where the Road Scenes that's supposed to be in Chicago are actually filmed in the LA area. Not sure which LA Freeways are used in the sequence but not sure where to look given that some of these roads are most likely been repaved since to take into account.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 11:50:13 AM by bing101 »

roadman65

• Last Login: Today at 01:42:09 AM
« Reply #827 on: July 04, 2022, 06:06:37 AM »

The TV show The Fall Guy in the early eight starting Lee Majors featured the Highland Avenue  pull through next to the actual exit sign scene in a frontage road shot of US 101 in the opener. However, in the first couple seasons of the show it showed the overhead guide on an overpass with a warning tab with flashers above the sign.  In the later seasons it had another overhead shot taken from same angle, but the sign had no warning tab and flashers.

So freeway captured at two different times with two different guides for same show is odd.

It’s where Lee Majors mentions his ex while singing the theme song.

Can’t find the later season with the US 101 pull through missing the warning tab, but nonetheless the freeway scene is in the opener of the show.

https://goo.gl/maps/vztFV47o5wwNTYv76
Here it is in 2021 of the location. The overpass is Mullholland Drive.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 06:39:55 AM by roadman65 »
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

« Reply #828 on: July 09, 2022, 12:44:27 AM »

Does anyone know the location of the traffic signal that Bandit in Smokey and the Bandit peels out at when they start their WB run?  I noticed a GA Route shield on it, but can’t see the number.

Also was Downtown Texarkana in the same movie a city in GA made to look like the Texascity?

Sheryl Crowe

kurumi

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:06:26 PM
    • kurumi.com
« Reply #829 on: July 22, 2022, 01:14:26 PM »

The Netflix K-Drama "Extraordinary Attorney Woo" episode 7 ("A Tale About Sodeok-Dong") is about a town protesting a planned highway going through it. Some aerial planning maps are shown (it would be interesting to find out which area they picked for this) and the red corridor is pretty much a straight line, dividing the town. It's about an hour drive from Seoul.

There's some discussion in court and otherwise about alternatives (tunnel, bypass), land use, their version of environmental impact statements, compensation for ROW takings, and even a 3-d video drive-thru of why the defendants believe the alternatives are not viable. The highway ("Hongduk-ro" or similar, no number) is depicted as a 2-lane road, though the impact described would be for a wider road.

Construction has already started (red flags to mark ROW; a 4-wheel excavator digging up a road) so time may be running out.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kurumi

• kurumi.com
« Reply #830 on: August 14, 2022, 02:20:00 PM »

Another pair of road-related episodes from Attorney Woo.

The legal team travels to Jeju Island to work on a case where a man has set up a toll booth on a public highway passing through a cultural heritage area (a Buddhist temple and its surroundings).

The highway in the episode is called "Local Highway No. 3008", but is filmed along the 5.16 Road, or Local Route 1131, connecting the north and south parts of the island. The road is famous for its "tree tunnel" segment, shown here: https://goo.gl/maps/GPdek2wTJQwQ6RVb7

The dispute: should motorists driving along "the 3008" (a public highway) have to pay a fee even if not visiting the temple? However, the road does have an impact on the temple grounds and the area surrounding it.

Filming was done on-location in Jeju, and Route 1132 appears at least once on an overhead sign. Route 1132 circumnavigates the whole island (as does Route 1136, a few km inland). All highways on Jeju are in the 1100s, except for Route 97, which used to be Route 1113.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Kniwt

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 12:43:29 PM
« Reply #831 on: August 16, 2022, 04:03:02 AM »

The new quiz show Person, Place, Or Thing surprised me with this slightly roadgeeky (and, tbh, slightly misleading) clue:

Full episode here:

abefroman329

• Last Login: October 17, 2023, 11:38:46 AM
« Reply #832 on: August 16, 2022, 05:57:54 PM »

I know that in Perfect Strangers, the Welcome to Chicago sign leaving ORD appears in the first season and in the remaining seasons when the long opening sequence is aired.  The short of the later seasons omits that, however its shown out of context in season one. 

Season one opener shows the two star characters traveling from their homelands to the big city.  Larry Appleton, who drove his Mustang from Madison, WI to his new home is shown passing under the I-190 Welcome sign which means to actually transit by it, you have to take a detour into O' Hare to accomplish that as no through roads lead through the airport to reach it especially if you take I-90, which is the main route from Madison to Chicago other than both US 12 & 14 that also do the trip, but none place you inside the airport to reach I-190 East.
At some point, you just have to accept that driving scenes are filmed according to "the look" as opposed to geographic accuracy (see, e.g. the titular characters driving from UChicago to Manhattan via LSD South somewhere between North Avenue and the S-curve in When Harry Met Sally).  There are only two "Welcome to Chicago" signs on local expressways, and the other one is at the eastern end of the Skyway (and I guarantee that very few people think of having to cross a long, tall bridge to get to Chicago).

bing101

« Reply #833 on: August 16, 2022, 07:57:58 PM »

At some point, you just have to accept that driving scenes are filmed according to "the look" as opposed to geographic accuracy (see, e.g. the titular characters driving from UChicago to Manhattan via LSD South somewhere between North Avenue and the S-curve in When Harry Met Sally).  There are only two "Welcome to Chicago" signs on local expressways, and the other one is at the eastern end of the Skyway (and I guarantee that very few people think of having to cross a long, tall bridge to get to Chicago).
My guess is that CA-90 Marina Freeway or CA-2 Glendale Freeway was used in the Perfect Strangers freeway shots to look like it was heading to Chicago suburban areas and I-190 was inserted in there for the show to give away the area.

roadman65

« Reply #834 on: August 16, 2022, 08:15:41 PM »

No one ever told Norman Lear that you don’t have to take the George Washington Bridge to get from Manhattan to Westchester County like the drive on Maude took during the opening sequence.

Then again Maude aired in 1971, but some of the cars in the opening cottage were 1950’s era models. I never noticed that before, so I’m sure no one else will notice the details on Perfect Strangers either.

Here is that drive along with outdated cars on the road.  BTWMaude lived in Tuckahoe, NY on the same side of the Hudson as NYC. 

On a side note, nice shots of the original West Side Highway Lamp Posts shown when Bea Arthur was credited.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:29:52 PM by roadman65 »

Sheryl Crowe

kurumi

• kurumi.com
« Reply #835 on: August 29, 2022, 05:18:20 PM »

The cropduster scene (below) from North by Northwest is set on (state) highway 41 in Indiana. However, it was filmed on CA 155 in Kern County, California.

https://www.filmdetail.com/2010/02/15/location-of-the-crop-dusting-sequence-in-north-by-northwest/

pderocco

• Two wrongs don't make a right--but three lefts do.

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 01:20:42 AM
« Reply #836 on: August 30, 2022, 02:52:15 AM »

It's possible that this has been mentioned in this long thread, but in case it hasn't, there's a lot of online stuff about the many identifiable locations in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. This short video:

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/3034-mad-world-locations-then-and-now

includes a clip at 2:15 showing two cars trying to push each other off the road, coming to a fork, and one going down each road. This fork was recently mentioned in another thread somewhere in this forum (probably in the Southwest regional board), as the old US-101 approaching what is now Liberty Canyon Rd in Agoura Hills.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 12:44:16 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #837 on: August 30, 2022, 08:54:21 AM »

There was an I-55 shield on the back wall of the bar in the episode called “Wild Women Do.”

kurumi

• kurumi.com
« Reply #838 on: September 28, 2022, 12:30:12 AM »

Rick and Morty s6e4: the gang gets on CA 120 northbound:

Later, there's a sign for Exit 251: "An Airport"

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #839 on: September 28, 2022, 12:51:12 AM »

G28-1 shield at the entrance ramp no less.

bing101

« Reply #840 on: September 28, 2022, 04:23:47 PM »

Interesting that the real CA-120 is east/West in the Tracy area. Maybe it's a parody of CA-210?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 04:49:04 PM by bing101 »

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 12:08:45 AM
« Reply #841 on: September 28, 2022, 05:55:21 PM »

^^Why are the traffic signals pointed in both directions on a one-way ramp?

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:51:37 PM
« Reply #842 on: September 30, 2022, 04:22:21 PM »

^^Why are the traffic signals pointed in both directions on a one-way ramp?
Shenanigans from the Citadel of Ricks?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ClassicHasClass

• 0-60 in 59.999997 years

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 11:07:20 PM
    • Floodgap Roadgap
« Reply #843 on: September 30, 2022, 08:31:25 PM »

Interesting that the real CA-120 is east/West in the Tracy area. Maybe it's a parody of CA-210?

Same problem, though?

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
« Reply #844 on: October 01, 2022, 12:41:52 PM »

Yea, CA/I-210 also runs east-west.   :-P

Maybe it was purposely done that way to be truly 'fictional'.

Mike

bing101

« Reply #845 on: October 01, 2022, 07:33:36 PM »

Yea, CA/I-210 also runs east-west.   :p

Maybe it was purposely done that way to be truly 'fictional'.

Mike
Parody for CA-170 Hollywood freeway.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #846 on: November 13, 2022, 02:34:05 PM »

Donner Pass Road (old US 40) featured in the opening scene of the movie Misery.  A new Toyota commercial is featuring Patterson Pass Road near Livermore, California.

Max Rockatansky

• Gribblenation
« Reply #847 on: November 13, 2022, 05:32:26 PM »

The new EV Sierra Denali commercial featured Whitney Portal Road and Avenue of the Giants (CA 254).  I think the windmill road at the end was also Patterson Pass but I’m not 100% certain.

D-Dey65

• Last Login: Today at 12:48:08 AM
    • I-95; Still not finished in Boston, Central New Jersey, or Washington, D.C.
« Reply #848 on: November 14, 2022, 01:31:14 PM »

Spotted an old-fashioned reverse color square one-way sign in the George Burns-Brooke Shields movie "Just You and Me, Kid:"

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1723781-Ford-LTD-Country-Squire.html

Chrysler375Freeway

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 12:45:57 AM
« Reply #849 on: December 10, 2022, 12:59:11 AM »

Resident Evil: Apocalypse: There is a scene on a Toronto-area freeway (as parts of the movie were filmed there) where Umbrella Corp. SUVs were seen driving on, but I'm not exactly sure which one it is, as it doesn't exactly show signs or location, although one of the filming locations was on the Prince Edward Viaduct, indicating it may be the Don Valley Parkway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.