AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Author Topic: Themed street names  (Read 119850 times)

hm insulators

• Last Login: October 19, 2017, 04:01:16 PM
Themed street names
« on: December 08, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »

For example, downtown Phoenix, Arizona has east-west streets named for US presidents (Van Buren, Washington, Pierce and so forth), the Palm Springs area has streets named after famous celebrities that lived there (Frank Sinatra, Bob Hope, Gerald Ford); in Redondo Beach, California, the little side streets off Catalina Drive are named for gems (Opal, Emerald, Garnet, Ruby).

Does your town or section of town have themed street names? (Tree names are so common, perhaps we can skip those.)
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

mightyace

• Last Login: October 04, 2012, 01:36:29 PM
    • My Flickr Photos
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

kj3400

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 09:03:14 PM
Re: Themed street names
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 12:42:46 PM »

An area around Liberty Rd (MD 26) has Britain-themed streets near I-695 (i.e. Croydon, Essex, Buckingham).
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

algorerhythms

• Last Login: Today at 09:32:41 AM
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 12:47:34 PM »

There's a neighborhood in Norman, Oklahoma, where the theme of the north-south streets are assassinated U.S. presidents. There's Lincoln Ave., Garfield Ave., and McKinley Ave. However, they did not rename the next street over when Kennedy was assassinated...

huskeroadgeek

• Last Login: May 04, 2019, 02:01:34 PM
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »

There's a portion of Lincoln that has a few streets named after famous streets in Los Angeles-Hollywood Blvd., La Brea Ave., and Wilshire Blvd. Along with Vine St., which is a major street in the area, it creates an intersection of Hollywood and Vine-the traditional center of Hollywood.

The town of Santa Claus, IN has streets that all have Christmas-themed names.

hm insulators

• Last Login: October 19, 2017, 04:01:16 PM
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 01:23:06 PM »

An area around Liberty Rd (MD 26) has Britain-themed streets near I-695 (i.e. Croydon, Essex, Buckingham).

I can't believe I forgot this one as I grew up in La Canada Flintridge, California: The "Flintridge" part has British-named streets (Oxford, Hampstead, Berkshire, Inverness, Wimbledon).
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

TheStranger

• Last Login: Today at 03:22:40 AM
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 02:03:28 PM »

The Sacramento suburb of Arden-Arcade has several streets named after inventors - Howe, Watt, Whitney, Marconi, Fulton, Edison, and Bell.  (There's also a Wright Street in there somewhere)
Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 02:28:51 PM »

the Pacific Beach neighborhood in San Diego has east-west streets named after gemstones, in alphabetical order.  Beryl, Chalcedony, Diamond, Emerald, Felspar (not Feldspar as it should be), Garnet, Hornblend (not Hornblende as it should be).  There's also a random Missouri St between Diamond and Emerald.  Never quite figured that one out...

further north of Beryl, there are out-of-order Agate, Tourmaline, Opal and I think several others that I do not remember.  A map lookup of zip code 92109 should reveal all.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:40:09 PM by agentsteel53 »
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

• Silicon Valley Roadgeek

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 01:25:52 PM
    • Silicon Valley Roads @ Markyville.com
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 03:05:08 PM »

Within the city of Cupertino...

* August Ln - September Dr - October Way - November Dr
* Pumpkin Dr/Ct - Holly Oak Dr - Cranberry Dr/Cir
* Orange Blossom Dr - Peach Blossom Dr - Rose Blossom Dr
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Coelacanth

• Last Login: March 07, 2024, 10:18:10 AM
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 03:11:18 PM »

Northeast Minneapolis has streets named for the presidents in chronological order.

They go by last name except where there are duplicates, so there's a Quincy and a Benjamin instead of duplicate Adams or Harrison. There's already a Grant elsewhere in the city so that street is Ulysses. They run from Washington to Coolidge.

North of the Twin Cities there is a series of streets, again alphabetical, that are animals. After that they get into chemical elements. I think Dysprosium St is my favorite street name anywhere.

triplemultiplex

• "You read it; you can't unread it!"

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:51:37 PM
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »

^^
My favorite in that suite is "Quagga St."

America's suburbs are crawling with themed subdivisions.  In my profession, I've seen everything from flowers, deer and apples to geology, NASA and The Beatles.  It seems like every town has its tree subdivision, its cuddly animals subdivision, its patriotic subdivision, its hunting subdivision, its place names from another state/country subdivision.  Berries, Ivy League schools, military brass, sailing, the Civil War, horses, authors, fish, spices, jewels... When they run out of those, you can tell some developers are just naming streets after their kids.  Oh and the puns; enough with the puns already.  "Ha, ha, I know, let's name a road EASY STREET!  HA, hA Ha!"
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

national highway 1

• From Down Under

• Last Login: September 06, 2022, 10:07:06 AM
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 04:01:31 PM »

On Balboa Island, near Newport Beach & Costa Mesa, CA they also do have streets named after gemstones (however Colllins Ave, Marine Ave & Abalone Ave appear in the middle of the development).
Eg. Emerald, Garnet, Pearl, Agate, Opal Topaz, Turqouise, Ruby, Diamond, Sapphire, Coral, Apolena (?), Amethyst, Onyx, Crystal & Jade.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

kurumi

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:06:26 PM
    • kurumi.com
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Quillz

• A Talking Pokémon

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 10:13:27 PM
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 05:26:46 PM »

The SF Valley has many streets named after people... Julie, Darryn, Randiwood, Sherman, Vanowen, Nordhoff, Sepulveda, etc.

deathtopumpkins

• Last Login: March 13, 2024, 01:10:40 PM
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »

My neighborhood has streets named after cities in Texas. I live near the intersection of Allendale and Fort Worth.

Elsewhere, Hampton is FULL of Nautical-themed street names, and near the waterfront along the James River in Old Wythe, the streets are named after Virginia rivers.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 07:31:41 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 06:24:32 PM »

This part of Norman, however, has streets named after Southern cities. There is a Beaumont, Biloxi, Nashville, Vicksburg, and Memphis, amontg others. I had a pizza guy get confused when he mixed up two streets that were both named after Tennessee cities.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Michael in Philly

• Last Login: August 10, 2013, 11:34:05 AM
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 06:44:34 PM »

In Kimmell, Indiana, you could live at the corner of Lincoln St. and Hitler St. : http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=hitler+st,+kimmell,+in&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=N+Hitler+St,+Kimmell,+Noble,+Indiana+46760&z=16

There's a Hitler St.??  I assume it's pre-war, but you'd think someone'd rename it....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Dr Frankenstein

• Canada Freezes Before Your Roads.

• Last Login: September 01, 2022, 10:24:33 PM
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 07:37:47 PM by Dr Frankenstein »

florida

• Last Login: March 14, 2021, 08:12:37 PM
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »

North of the Twin Cities there is a series of streets, again alphabetical, that are animals. After that they get into chemical elements. I think Dysprosium St is my favorite street name anywhere.

I love the sound of that! It will be on my bucket list.

Christmas, FL does the reindeer names.

This could/could not be considered a theme but Palm Coast, FL organizes their neighborhood/minor roads by alphabetical order (all the A-named streets are in one section, and so on).

Tallahassee, FL has streets named after all the counties in Florida.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:35:37 PM by florida »
So many roads...so little time.

xcellntbuy

• Location: Milledgeville, GA, the Antebellum capital (1804-1868)
  • Last Login: April 05, 2022, 10:57:44 PM
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 08:47:15 PM »

Hollywood, Florida uses a presidential theme on its east-west Streets beginning with Washington and ending with Coolidge.  The city's gridiron was laid out in the 1920's.

wriddle082

• Give 'em the BIDNESS!

• Last Login: Today at 01:04:15 AM
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 08:52:51 PM »

There is a section of Nashville near the airport with planet named streets.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=bna&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=52.240038,49.921875&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Nashville+International+Airport+(BNA),+Nashville,+Davidson,+Tennessee+37214&ll=36.121878,-86.699102&spn=0.013138,0.012188&z=16

There is also a section of West Nashville where the streets are named after Ford/Lincoln/Mercury automobiles that were produced in the 50s and 60s (Fairlane, Galaxie, Thunderbird, Capri, Continental, Comet, Starliner, Ranchero, Marauder, Sunliner, Edsel, Futura), and other Ford-related names (Henry Ford, River Rouge, Grosse Point, Landau, Fordomatic, Foundry).  This neighborhood (Charlotte Park) was mostly built around the time the nearby Ford glass plant was built in the 50s.

Also in Hermitage, east of Nashville, there is one neighborhood with state capitals (Des Moines, Raleigh, Trenton, Baton Rouge, Phoenix, Frankfort, Atlanta, St. Paul, Albany, Denver, Topeka, Concord, Columbus, Juneau).  They also have a neighborhood with every street named Bonna-something (Bonnawood, Bonnaspring, Bonnacroft, Bonnalynn, Bonnaridge, etc.)

BigMattFromTexas

• Livin' life in Texas!

• Last Login: March 01, 2024, 06:13:53 PM

rawmustard

• Posin' with the marker

• Last Login: February 20, 2024, 07:29:54 PM
    • Blog
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 09:26:47 PM »

The neighborhood in which I live has an abundance of military-themed street names. Considering the area was once part of Fort Custer, this should be expected. In Lansing, a large number of east-west streets which run through downtown are named for the state's counties, although I'm quite certain that not all 83 are represented.

Duke87

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 09:57:37 PM »

Stamford has relatively little themed naming, but there are a few distinct examples.

1) a subdivision known as "Sherwood Forest", consisting of "Robin Hood Road", "Friar Tuck Lane", "Nottingham Drive", "Little John Lane", and "Camelot Court".
2) "Colonial Road", "Mayflower Avenue", "Puritan Lane", "Plymouth Road", and "Pilgrim Walk" (yes, "Walk").  (here)
3) "Rippowam Road", "Iroqois Road", "Mohegan Avenue", "Ponus Avenue", "Algonquin Avenue", and "Wampanaw Avenue", all named after indian tribes.  (here)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SidS1045

• Last Login: March 14, 2024, 02:13:11 PM
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 10:56:46 PM »

There's an area of Brooklyn east and southeast of Prospect Park, bounded approximately by Nostrand Avenue on the west and Kings Highway on the east, which has avenues every three blocks named after cities in New York state:

New York Avenue
Brooklyn Avenue (OK, Brooklyn isn't a city now, but it was once)
Albany Avenue
Troy Avenue
Schenectady Avenue
Utica Avenue
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.