AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Themed street names  (Read 119842 times)

DandyDan

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 05:00:02 AM
Re: Themed street names
« Reply #275 on: March 27, 2022, 07:24:19 AM »

Hollywood, Florida uses a presidential theme on its east-west Streets beginning with Washington and ending with Coolidge.  The city's gridiron was laid out in the 1920's.

This pattern covers all presidents between Washington and Coolidge.  [No entry for JQA, but an entry for John Adams - no entry for Ben Harrison, but an entry for WH Harrison] Is there another presidential pattern somewhere that reaches more presidents, inclusive and in order?
Going west from Federal Avenue, Mason City gets up to Eisenhower Avenue (all of them are Avenues) but Teddy Roosevelt inexplicably gets skipped, JQ Adams is Quincy, Benjamin Harrison is Benjamin and Grover Cleveland is Grover. I don't think there is Truman, either.

Going east from Federal are Avenues named for states in order of admission to the union, but it's just Carolina Avenue. New Hampshire, New York and New Jersey get the New removed. I believe there are a bunch of missing states between Illinois Avenue and Iowa Avenue, which happens to be a minor street on the east edge of town, then there's California Avenue and that's it.

My personal favorite theme is in the Westmont subdivision in Sarpy County, Nebraska, they got streets named for the Mercury Seven.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

KCRoadFan

• Enthusiastic fan of roads, sports, and waterparks.

• Last Login: Today at 12:05:21 AM
« Reply #276 on: October 02, 2022, 10:40:53 PM »

In the Cloverleaf section of east Houston (NW corner of I-10 and the Sam Houston Tollway/Beltway 8), many of the east-west streets, running parallel to I-10, are named for various small and mid-sized cities in Texas, listed from north to south (the street names, that is, not the cities themselves): Gainesville, Longview, Texarkana, Eagle Pass, Victoria, Corpus Christi, Brownsville, Laredo, Hillsboro, Waxahachie, Brownwood, Greenville, Bandera, and Bonham.

kirbykart

• I like MA 2.

• Last Login: December 22, 2023, 12:08:29 PM
« Reply #277 on: October 03, 2022, 09:39:21 AM »

In Buffalo, NY, there are various streets named after states (Rhode Island, Delaware, Michigan, Vermont, Ohio, etc.) and after large US Cities (Fargo, Lexington, Chicago, Baltimore, etc.). They're sort of randomly scattered in amongst other streets throughout the neighborhoods south and west of downtown.

Indiana_Charter

• Last Login: January 04, 2023, 01:25:16 AM
« Reply #278 on: October 03, 2022, 10:42:36 AM »

Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Fitzgerald, GA, has several interesting street patterns. It was founded as a planned city for Civil War veterans, so all the streets in the central area were named at the same time. (Disclaimer: I've never been there, only found it through random Google Mapping.)

Fitzgerald's origins explain why there are 7 north-south streets east of Main named for Union generals, starting with Grant St (the southbound lanes of US 129) and 7 north-south streets west of Main named for Confederate generals, starting with Lee St.

8 blocks east of Main (on the Union side) is Monitor Dr, and 8 blocks west (on the Confederate side) is Merrimack Dr, named for the most famous ironclad ship on each side in the Civil War.

East-west streets south of Central Ave are named for trees, and east-west streets north of Central Ave are named for local rivers, most of which have Native American names (Ocmulgee Ave, Altamaha Ave, Chattahoochee Ave, Suwannee Ave, etc.).

8 blocks north of Central (on the river side) is Sultana Dr, and 8 blocks south (on the tree side) is Roanoke Dr. These seem a bit random, but Wikipedia tells me they are also ships - the Sultana was a cotton freighter that exploded in 1865 while carrying released Union prisoners, causing the worst disaster in American maritime history, and the Roanoke was another Union ironclad.

"The traveler sees what he sees; the tourist sees what he has come to see." -- G. K. Chesterton

Poiponen13

• Last Login: February 29, 2024, 12:50:27 PM
« Reply #279 on: October 23, 2022, 02:54:32 PM »

Regarding the naming of streets after presidents – there is a new subdivision the next town over that manages to do it alphabetically!

Adams

Buchanan

Coolidge

Delano

Eisenhower

Ford

Garfield

That's where it ends. I guess Harrison (both iterations) would be next. Followed by Johnson (twice as well), than Kennedy, Lincoln and a rock-paper-scissors among Madison, Monroe, Millard, McKinley and Milhous.

No I's unless you wanted to double up with an Ike.
Where is the subdivision in question?

andrepoiy

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 07:29:14 PM
« Reply #280 on: October 23, 2022, 09:37:20 PM »

I didn't scroll through all 12 pages so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but there's this neighbourhood in Toronto that has "Ben" as the theme. Named "Ben Jungle".

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ben+Jungle,+Toronto,+ON

chrisdiaz

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:48:24 PM
« Reply #281 on: October 23, 2022, 09:57:18 PM »

Regarding the naming of streets after presidents – there is a new subdivision the next town over that manages to do it alphabetically!

Adams

Buchanan

Coolidge

Delano

Eisenhower

Ford

Garfield

That's where it ends. I guess Harrison (both iterations) would be next. Followed by Johnson (twice as well), than Kennedy, Lincoln and a rock-paper-scissors among Madison, Monroe, Millard, McKinley and Milhous.

Not OP, but it’s in Celina, Texas with the coordinates (33.3126760, -96.6655886)

Road Hog

• Last Login: Today at 02:15:33 AM
« Reply #282 on: October 23, 2022, 11:48:53 PM »

Adams

Buchanan

Coolidge

Delano

Eisenhower

Ford

Garfield

Not OP, but it’s in Celina, Texas with the coordinates (33.3126760, -96.6655886)
Celina address but technically in the city of Weston. The subdivision is Van Buren Estates.

chrisdiaz

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:48:24 PM
« Reply #283 on: October 24, 2022, 10:24:00 AM »

Adams

Buchanan

Coolidge

Delano

Eisenhower

Ford

Garfield

Celina address but technically in the city of Weston. The subdivision is Van Buren Estates.
Glad to see South Carolina isn't the only place with the postal address being one town and being incorporated within another  :-D

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
« Reply #284 on: October 24, 2022, 10:47:14 AM »

Adams

Buchanan

Coolidge

Delano

Eisenhower

Ford

Garfield

Glad to see South Carolina isn't the only place with the postal address being one town and being incorporated within another  :-D

Also, here in City of Appleton, WI (54915) there is a street (Schindler Pl, it's just NW of the US 10/WI 441/Oneida St interchange) where there are a couple of apartment buildings that are served by the Menasha, WI (54952) Post Office.  It is really fun at election time.

Mike

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:05:19 PM
« Reply #285 on: October 24, 2022, 02:45:31 PM »

Adams

Buchanan

Coolidge

Delano

Eisenhower

Ford

Garfield

You should see the "lake country" of Waukesha, WI.  I have a friend who lives in the Town of Delafield, but his mailing address is Pewaukee and his kids are in the Hartland school district.

Flint1979

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:48:12 PM
« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2022, 04:26:41 PM »

I know someone with a Freeland address, Freeland phone number and Hemlock schools and they live in Midland County. Freeland is in Saginaw County, so is Hemlock and both have their own school districts.

tmoore952

• Last Login: February 19, 2024, 12:41:06 AM
« Reply #287 on: October 16, 2023, 03:58:31 PM »

I didn't look at all the earlier posts, but I would be very surprised if this was mentioned.

Near me in Olney, MD there are a bunch of streets with Beatles-related names:

Quarrymen Terrace
Birthday Court
St. George Way/Court
St. Albert Drive/Terrace
Epstein Court
Abbey Manor Terrace/Drive
Starkey Drive/Terrace
Silver Hammer Way
Sutcliff Terrace

George is for George Harrison
Albert for the Paul McCartney song "Uncle Albert"
Sutcliff is missing an "e', should be Sutcliffe IIRC (Stuart Sutcliffe)

Hopefully the rest are more obvious.

formulanone

• latest clinch

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:14:36 PM
« Reply #288 on: October 24, 2023, 11:30:55 AM »

I didn't scroll through all 12 pages so I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but there's this neighbourhood in Toronto that has "Ben" as the theme. Named "Ben Jungle".

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Ben+Jungle,+Toronto,+ON

Welcome to the jungle,
We've got Ben and Ben.
We've got everything you want,
As long as it starts with Ben.

elsmere241

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 03:53:40 PM
« Reply #289 on: October 24, 2023, 11:54:08 AM »

Several neighborhoods in Raleigh have themed names - two near my first house there were Winnie-the-Pooh and the Beatles.

Poiponen13

• Last Login: February 29, 2024, 12:50:27 PM
« Reply #290 on: October 24, 2023, 12:52:54 PM »

Several neighborhoods in Raleigh have themed names - two near my first house there were Winnie-the-Pooh and the Beatles.
Winnie-the-Pooh? :confused:  I have never come across Pooh-themed streets, and I imagined lots of them when I was about 5 years old. Where are the Pooh streets?

SEWIGuy

• Grid Anarchist

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 08:05:19 PM
« Reply #291 on: October 24, 2023, 01:56:21 PM »

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:34:13 PM
« Reply #292 on: October 25, 2023, 03:01:53 AM »

While browsing maps around Communist China and its infamous departure from reality, I noticed several areas in which road names started with the same character. Now I cannot remember more exact details.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

TheCatalyst31

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 12:31:55 AM
« Reply #293 on: October 25, 2023, 12:49:48 PM »

I didn't look at all the earlier posts, but I would be very surprised if this was mentioned.

Quarrymen Terrace
Birthday Court
St. George Way/Court
St. Albert Drive/Terrace
Epstein Court
Starkey Drive/Terrace
Silver Hammer Way
Sutcliff Terrace

There's a subdivision on the southeast side of Madison with a similar theme.
Yesterday Drive
Hey Jude Lane
Imagine Street
Honeypie Drive
Day Tripper Drive
And of course, Penny Lane

paulthemapguy

• nobody asked me

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:49:08 AM
    • Paul Across America
« Reply #294 on: October 25, 2023, 02:36:13 PM »

Quarrymen Terrace
Birthday Court
St. George Way/Court
St. Albert Drive/Terrace
Epstein Court
Starkey Drive/Terrace
Silver Hammer Way
Sutcliff Terrace

There's a subdivision on the southeast side of Madison with a similar theme.
Yesterday Drive
Hey Jude Lane
Imagine Street
Honeypie Drive
Day Tripper Drive
And of course, Penny Lane

The ones in Maryland at least look like passable street names.  The Madison names are just obnoxious.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now w/Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Streetman

• Last Login: March 16, 2024, 10:57:44 AM
« Reply #295 on: November 09, 2023, 03:30:48 PM »

random neighborhood in Fishers, IN streets named after nfl teams: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9751581,-85.9519361,16.5z
Perhaps it's time to rename Redskins Ave.

Road Hog

• Last Login: Today at 02:15:33 AM
« Reply #296 on: November 10, 2023, 03:54:58 AM »

I know someone with a Freeland address, Freeland phone number and Hemlock schools and they live in Midland County. Freeland is in Saginaw County, so is Hemlock and both have their own school districts.
Let me blow your mind: There is a high school (Braswell) located in the city limits of Little Elm that is in Denton ISD, has an Aubrey mailing address and a Prosper phone number. And the main newspaper that covers them is in Pilot Point.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 04:34:13 PM
« Reply #297 on: November 10, 2023, 05:31:18 AM »

First it should be Football Team Ave. for two years :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

miclugo

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 10:31:26 AM
« Reply #298 on: November 10, 2023, 11:49:28 AM »

Philadelphia generally has north-south streets with numbers, and there are some clusters of east-west streets.  Names for east-west streets are as follows:
- downtown, trees (from north to south, these are Chestnut, Walnut, Locust, Spruce, Pine.  Historically, also, Race, Arch, and South were Sassafras, Mulberry, and Cedar.  West Philly has in addition Osage and Larchwood, and has kept Cedar.)
- South Philly: governors of Pennsylvania, in chronological order, with some omissions (and, inexplicably, Oregon Avenue)
- North Philly: counties of Pennsylvania, and I have no idea why they picked the ones they did.

The South Philly group is the least obvious because nobody knows their Pennsylvania governors from the nineteenth century.

mgk920

• Last Login: Today at 01:09:45 AM
« Reply #299 on: November 10, 2023, 12:13:31 PM »

First it should be Football Team Ave. for two years :sombrero:.

I checked the map, that development doesn't even have  street with such a name.  They don't even have a street named for the local Colts.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.