News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2010 U.S. Census thread

Started by golden eagle, January 25, 2011, 11:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: english si on February 01, 2011, 03:44:24 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on February 01, 2011, 02:01:05 PMI was reading a story on the local fishwrap's website
I thought it was a specifically British thing to wrap fish in poor newspapers.

Hey, it's not quite good enough for that other purpose.  You don't want ink all over your butt.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

golden eagle

golden eagle

Alps

golden eagle

Quote from: AlpsROADS on February 02, 2011, 07:26:08 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on February 01, 2011, 08:31:03 PM
California officials claim state undercounted by 1.5 million
I'll bet you anything the state count includes illegals and the Census doesn't.

Maybe, but I would like for officials to tell us how they came up with such a high undercount.

SP Cook

Quote from: Adam Smith on January 28, 2011, 09:41:15 PM
Said political party (known to Americans as the Republican Party)

I would strongly recomend you take a good basic community college American history class, or at least read a few books.

NE2

Read Gone with the Wind if you want to know why the South is still full of racist assholes.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: SP Cook on February 03, 2011, 06:38:28 AM
Quote from: Adam Smith on January 28, 2011, 09:41:15 PM
Said political party (known to Americans as the Republican Party)

I would strongly recomend you take a good basic community college American history class, or at least read a few books.

I read more than you and taken more history classes than you spent years in school.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

oscar

The Census counts do not exclude illegals, at least not intentionally (the completeness of Census counts, particularly for minority populations, is a subject of some debate). 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Roadgeek Adam

Some Friday...NJ.com released the census stuff. The part that interests me is the bottom 4 towns and how drastic the change is.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/02/njs_population_grew_most_in_so.html

2000:

563. Walpack - 41
564. Pine Valley - 24
565. Tavistock - 20
566. Teterboro - 18 (never should've been there, blame the 2000 censustakers)

2010:
(the only thing that didn't change here was which 4 municipalities it was)

563. Teterboro - 67
564. Walpack - 16
565. Pine Valley - 12
----------------------- the Pahaquarry Dotted Line of Defunction
566. Tavistock - 5

If anyone's wondering what I call the "Pahaquarry Dotted Line of Defunction" - In 1997, the state took Pahaquarry Township, which had population below 12 and merged it with Hardwick Township. Tavistock and Pine Valley will join it probably. Walpack will eventually merge with Sandyston if I know this state well. (Sandyston has 1998 people for 2010 and the two share elementary schools.)

Some other notes:

1 - Edgewater in Bergen County went up to 11,513 people in 10 years from   7,677 in 2000, a jump of 50% or 3,836 people!

2 - Go persuade 33 of your friends to move to Edison! The listed 2010 population is 99,967 people, 33 short of the big 100,000 (only would be the 5th municipality to do so). Woodbridge isn't far behind at 99,500 or so.

3 - Camden has now fallen out of the Top 10 in Population (was 10th in 2000)

4 - Newark went up for the first time in over 30 years up to 277,000 people from 273,000 in 2000.

5 - My borough went down a decimal of a percent from 2000, losing about 17 residents.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

SP Cook

Quote from: Adam Smith on February 03, 2011, 11:24:50 PM
I read more than you and taken more history classes than you spent years in school.

I seriously doubt that. 

In any event, if you do not understand the basic political history of the USA from Reconstruction to 1965, that is OK.  Just don't insult and comment those who do.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: oscar on February 04, 2011, 01:01:03 AM
The Census counts do not exclude illegals, at least not intentionally (the completeness of Census counts, particularly for minority populations, is a subject of some debate).  

Actually, isn't the census supposed to count everyone it finds residing here?  Does it even check immigration status?
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on February 04, 2011, 01:26:16 AM
Some Friday...NJ.com released the census stuff. The part that interests me is the bottom 4 towns and how drastic the change is.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/02/njs_population_grew_most_in_so.html

2000:

563. Walpack - 41
564. Pine Valley - 24
565. Tavistock - 20
566. Teterboro - 18 (never should've been there, blame the 2000 censustakers)

2010:
(the only thing that didn't change here was which 4 municipalities it was)

563. Teterboro - 67
564. Walpack - 16
565. Pine Valley - 12
----------------------- the Pahaquarry Dotted Line of Defunction
566. Tavistock - 5

If anyone's wondering what I call the "Pahaquarry Dotted Line of Defunction" - In 1997, the state took Pahaquarry Township, which had population below 12 and merged it with Hardwick Township. Tavistock and Pine Valley will join it probably. Walpack will eventually merge with Sandyston if I know this state well. (Sandyston has 1998 people for 2010 and the two share elementary schools.)

Some other notes:

1 - Edgewater in Bergen County went up to 11,513 people in 10 years from   7,677 in 2000, a jump of 50% or 3,836 people!

2 - Go persuade 33 of your friends to move to Edison! The listed 2010 population is 99,967 people, 33 short of the big 100,000 (only would be the 5th municipality to do so). Woodbridge isn't far behind at 99,500 or so.

3 - Camden has now fallen out of the Top 10 in Population (was 10th in 2000)

4 - Newark went up for the first time in over 30 years up to 277,000 people from 273,000 in 2000.

5 - My borough went down a decimal of a percent from 2000, losing about 17 residents.

Some remarks from a native New Jerseyan who's been paying attention to this sort of thing since a geeky childhood.  :-)

How the heck did Teterboro quadruple?

I have no problem with the abolition of Pahaquarry Township (which I never did know how to pronounce anyway), but with a population of a few dozen in a land area larger than Manhattan, it did have the virtue of serving as evidence that the state's not entirely built-up.  (By way of background, most if not all of it falls in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, hence the lack of population.  Don't know how populated it was before it became government property).

Can the state force municipalities to merge?  Tavistock, as you may know, consists of a golf course and one short street of houses.  Pine Valley too.  I think both are instances of country clubs that actually incorporated as boroughs for the sake of autonomy.

It's sad about Camden, but very nice to see Newark growing.  I've had occasion to go to Camden and its utterly-deserted downtown (granted, I haven't been there in a decade or more) makes Newark's look thriving.  Actually, Edison would be the seventh municipality in the state to reach 100,000; Camden and Trenton both did early in the 20th century, then fell below it.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

vdeane

Quote from: SP Cook on February 04, 2011, 06:14:29 AM

In any event, if you do not understand the basic political history of the USA from Reconstruction to 1965, that is OK.  Just don't insult and comment those who do.
Since Reagan, the Republicans have been the party of corporations.  The fact that they were pro-black from Reconstruction to 1965 doesn't change that.  The Democrats do far more for minorities today than the Republicans.  This is fact.  Btw, Republicans being for the rich isn't new: Teddy Roosevelt was made McKinley's VP because the party though that would be the place where he'd be least likely to become president (had they known McKinley would be assassinated, they most certainly would not have made TR VP).  He was only allowed to run for re-election because it would be political suicide not to.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mightyace

Back on topic,

Census Finds Hurricane Katrina Left New Orleans Richer, Whiter, Emptier

QuoteNew Orleans lost 140,845 residents, a drop of 29 percent from 2000. The percentage of black population fell to 60.2 percent from 67.3 percent. The loss in New Orleans translates into one fewer congressional seat for Louisiana -- now six instead of seven.

NOTE to Admins:
Could someone put the political mudslinging into it's own thread.

My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

US71

Quote from: Michael in Philly on February 04, 2011, 09:01:04 AM
Actually, isn't the census supposed to count everyone it finds residing here?  Does it even check immigration status?

I never did, though they may have been some of the houses that refused to respond.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Michael in Philly

Quote from: US71 on February 04, 2011, 10:25:48 AM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on February 04, 2011, 09:01:04 AM
Actually, isn't the census supposed to count everyone it finds residing here?  Does it even check immigration status?

I never did, though they may have been some of the houses that refused to respond.

You were a census worker?

I've heard, of course, of the concern that illegals (and others) would have that responding would put them on the government's radar, but I thought that was the point of the 72-year limit.  More and more countries, by the way (France for example, at least for larger cities) are no longer attempting a full head count.  I sort of like it that we at least try.

(And I'm saying "the concern that illegals would have" rather than just "the concern they have" deliberately:  it was always news articles, usually pre-census, assuming that would be the case.)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

golden eagle

Mississippi census info

No way Hattiesburg only grew up to just under 46K. There should be more than that. Should be closer to, if not above, 50K. Not surprised about Southaven being #3. I do believe they will surpass Gulfport eventually. Also not surprised Biloxi lost population due to Katrina. Gulfport did too, but not to the level Biloxi did.

agentsteel53

eh, I don't think I even filled in my census form.  I deeply distrust anyone that wishes to bestow upon me benefits just by virtue of my existence ... and then asks me to prove it!

to paraphrase Groucho Marx: I do not care to belong to any club that would have me as a member.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

golden eagle

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: Michael in Philly on February 04, 2011, 09:11:45 AM
Some remarks from a native New Jerseyan who's been paying attention to this sort of thing since a geeky childhood.  :-)

I have no problem with the abolition of Pahaquarry Township (which I never did know how to pronounce anyway), but with a population of a few dozen in a land area larger than Manhattan, it did have the virtue of serving as evidence that the state's not entirely built-up.  (By way of background, most if not all of it falls in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, hence the lack of population.  Don't know how populated it was before it became government property).

Can the state force municipalities to merge?  Tavistock, as you may know, consists of a golf course and one short street of houses.  Pine Valley too.  I think both are instances of country clubs that actually incorporated as boroughs for the sake of autonomy.

It's sad about Camden, but very nice to see Newark growing.  I've had occasion to go to Camden and its utterly-deserted downtown (granted, I haven't been there in a decade or more) makes Newark's look thriving.  Actually, Edison would be the seventh municipality in the state to reach 100,000; Camden and Trenton both did early in the 20th century, then fell below it.

Teterboro was never technically 18 people. The 2000 Census left out some people in Teterboro, namely a new development.

Pahaquarry was stoned in history for good due to the Tocks Island Dam. The only person really to blame for the drop in population for Pahaquarry was the Army Corp of Engineers, who demolished houses left and right on both sides of the river.

The state can force it, but its unpopular. However, Senate President Steve Sweeney has proposed denying aid to towns that don't want to merge. Yes Tavistock has a lower population than Centralia PA, which is funny.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Michael in Philly

Quote from: Roadgeek_Adam on February 04, 2011, 12:17:01 PM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on February 04, 2011, 09:11:45 AM

Teterboro was never technically 18 people. The 2000 Census left out some people in Teterboro, namely a new development.

Pahaquarry was stoned in history for good due to the Tocks Island Dam. The only person really to blame for the drop in population for Pahaquarry was the Army Corp of Engineers, who demolished houses left and right on both sides of the river.

The state can force it, but its unpopular. However, Senate President Steve Sweeney has proposed denying aid to towns that don't want to merge. Yes Tavistock has a lower population than Centralia PA, which is funny.

If you go back farther than 2000, Teterboro was flirting with the number 20 for decades.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teterboro,_New_Jersey
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

golden eagle

How does a city exist with only 16 people?

mightyace

^^^

It's a small town after all.  It's a small town after all.   It's a small town after all.  It's a small, small town.  :sombrero:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.