News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Redundant City Names

Started by xonhulu, September 28, 2011, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xonhulu

Spinning off the Redundant Street Names thread, what redundant city names are there in your state (or are anywhere you know of)?

Here in Oregon, we have Forest Grove, two words that both refer to a group of trees, although "forest" implies a larger collection.

Down in southern Oregon, there is the small town of Glendale.  "Glen" and "dale" basically both mean "valley."

Anybody else?

agentsteel53

Quote from: xonhulu on September 28, 2011, 09:14:35 PM
Down in southern Oregon, there is the small town of Glendale.  "Glen" and "dale" basically both mean "valley."

there is a suburb of Los Angeles called Glendale as well.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

allniter89

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 28, 2011, 09:25:22 PM
Quote from: xonhulu on September 28, 2011, 09:14:35 PM

there is a suburb of Los Angeles called Glendale as well.
Glendale, Florida
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

golden eagle

Glendale, AZ

How about Oak Grove?

allniter89

BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

yanksfan6129

Landshark

Brandon

When using the official names, the Department of Redundancy Department rears its head in Illinois.

City of Granite City, IL
Village of Elk Grove Village, IL (IIRC)
Village of Libertyville, IL (ville = village)
City of Naperville (a bit of a contradiction)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

english si

While not a city, Torpenhow Hill in Cumbria is literally 'hill hill hill Hill' - it seems that as times changed, the original meaning was lost so 'Hill' became 'Hill Pen' became 'Torpen Hill' became 'Torpenhow Hill'

'Ham' and 'Ton' both mean enclosure/farm/settlement, so Hampton (and Northampton, Southampton, Littlehampton, etc) is a perhaps a tautology.

US71

Helena-West Helena, AR

Formerly 2 separate communities, they merged several years ago
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

xcellntbuy

Fort Lauderdale, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, North Lauderdale, Lauderdale Lakes, Lauderhill, all in Broward County, Florida.

Stephane Dumas

In Detroit, there the Grosse Pointe area who have the following

Grosse Pointe Park, city
Grosse Pointe, city
Grosse Pointe Farms, city
Grosse Pointe Shores, city (incorporated in 2009 from the remnants of two townships, Grosse Pointe Township in Wayne County and Lake Township in Macomb County)
Grosse Pointe Woods

I saw at some other forums then Grosse Pointe Shores wants to left Wayne Co to Macomb Co and/or a amalgation of all the Pointes.

xonhulu

Quote from: US71 on September 29, 2011, 09:19:12 AM
Helena-West Helena, AR

Formerly 2 separate communities, they merged several years ago

And they seriously couldn't just called the merged city "Helena?"

formulanone

There's an Earth, Texas.

And a Lorida, Florida, as well as lots of other (mostly suburban) towns/cities in the state that have no meaning to reality, they just sound tropical.

SteveG1988

Burlington coat factory, in Burlington, burlington county nj. Formerly the county seat, which moved to Mount Holly Township.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Bryant5493

Stone Mountain, Georgia - The park is in the city of the same name (or just outside of it).

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Cleveland, East Cleveland, and Cleveland Hts. All in Cuyahoga County.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Bryant5493

Dublin and East Dublin - both are in Laurens County, Georgia

Ellijay and East Ellijay - both are in Gilmer County, Georgia

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

roadman65

Washington is used too much in New Jersey!  There are three communities named that within 10 miles of each other in Northern New Jersey.  Two border each other and most do not know that they are two different corporations.  Washington Borough and Washington Township in Warren County are up the road from Washington Township in Morris County.

How many Springfields are there in the US?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SteveG1988

Cape May Court House NJ and Cape may NJ, two towns that are near each other, one sounds like the destination inside of the other.

or Moorestown and Morristown NJ, two different regions, if you talk to someone from north jersey and pronounce Moorestown wrong, you confuse them thinking you are talking about the town in north jersey, and not the town off 295/nj38 in south jersey.

Newark NJ, Newark Delaware, two cities with the same name, but different pronunciation.

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

roadman65

Newark NJ, Newark Delaware, two cities with the same name, but different pronunciation.

[/quote]

Newoork or New Ark.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Duke87

Table Mesa, CO.

("mesa" is Spanish for "table")
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Not redundant, but an oxymoron: Deerfield Beach, Florida. I know there exist Key Deer, but those are in the Keys. No deer on a beach, not to mention no fields on a beach.

My "favorite" state of PA has a Townville.

formulanone

Quote from: Steve on November 16, 2011, 08:07:53 PM
Not redundant, but an oxymoron: Deerfield Beach, Florida. I know there exist Key Deer, but those are in the Keys. No deer on a beach, not to mention no fields on a beach.

There actually were a tiny handful of deer in the estuary along some of the shallow portions of the Intracoastal Waterway, but their numbers are quite small as to be insignificant. There were deer crossing signs by A1A, just south of SR 810, but admittedly, I haven't seen the sign in years, as most deer populations have pretty much moved to the Everglades.

hobsini2

Leeds and North Leeds WI are 2 unincorporated towns separated by 2 miles and all they are are junctions on US 51.

BTW, Oshkosh had at one point been 2 separate towns: Algoma (north of the Fox River) and Brooklyn (south) before the USPS made them change because there were already towns in WI with those names.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.