News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Vehicle mount for iPhone

Started by hbelkins, October 10, 2011, 09:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

I need to find a viable car mount for my iPhone (a 3GS that usually stays in an iCase or Mophie Juice Pack external battery case, but can be removed if necessary).

I'm scrapping my window mount because it gets in the way of taking pictures, and there is an odd reflection from it if I try to take flash photos at night with my new camera.

A cupholder mount just doesn't seem to work.

Anyone have any recommendations? Anyone ever have any luck with a TuneFlex or other lighter mount?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

I put it in the center armrest and turn on the Bluetooth; if I drive my wife's car, I put it either under the handbrake or on the small tray with a sliding cover in front of the gearshift.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 10, 2011, 11:24:58 AM
I put it in the center armrest and turn on the Bluetooth; if I drive my wife's car, I put it either under the handbrake or on the small tray with a sliding cover in front of the gearshift.

Except I want it visible because of the GPS apps I have on it.

May have solved the problem. Got a Griffin TuneFlex Aux off eBay for $7.50. If it doesn't work, them I'm not out a whole lot of $$$.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on October 10, 2011, 01:27:42 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 10, 2011, 11:24:58 AM

Except I want it visible because of the GPS apps I have on it.

May have solved the problem. Got a Griffin TuneFlex Aux off eBay for $7.50. If it doesn't work, them I'm not out a whole lot of $$$.

Ah. Can't help there. My Acura has a built-in sat-nav and my wife has a portable Garmin, and the third car is only driven locally due to age and reliability concerns.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

wriddle082

Quote from: hbelkins on October 10, 2011, 09:59:41 AM
I need to find a viable car mount for my iPhone (a 3GS that usually stays in an iCase or Mophie Juice Pack external battery case, but can be removed if necessary).

I'm scrapping my window mount because it gets in the way of taking pictures, and there is an odd reflection from it if I try to take flash photos at night with my new camera.

A cupholder mount just doesn't seem to work.

Anyone have any recommendations? Anyone ever have any luck with a TuneFlex or other lighter mount?

When my work issued me and my co-workers iPhones a couple of years ago, they made sure everybody had OtterBoxes for them.  I must say, it's the best cellphone case I've ever had, though I've gone through two belt clips and gave up on buying a third since I'm expecting an equipment upgrade soon.

And I believe OtterBox makes a suction cup windshield clip.  Check Amazon to make sure.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 19, 2011, 10:33:50 PM

When my work issued me and my co-workers iPhones a couple of years ago, they made sure everybody had OtterBoxes for them.  I must say, it's the best cellphone case I've ever had, though I've gone through two belt clips and gave up on buying a third since I'm expecting an equipment upgrade soon.

And I believe OtterBox makes a suction cup windshield clip.  Check Amazon to make sure.

Lots of people swear by OtterBoxes, but I typically use an external battery case for my phone. I am experimenting with something to adapt my console cupholder to work, but so far it's failing.

I won a cheap TuneFlex on eBay. We'll see how it works.

realjd

I'm the only person I know who uses his iPhone and iPad naked. The phone that is, not necessarily me...

I've had no issues. The back of the phone will scuff up a bit but I've never had a scratch on the screen from just keeping it in my pocket. And I've dropped them more than a few times with no problems.

PAHighways

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2011, 11:15:50 AMLots of people swear by OtterBoxes, but I typically use an external battery case for my phone. I am experimenting with something to adapt my console cupholder to work, but so far it's failing.

When I was looking for a mount for mine, I did find a flexible holder that fit in cup holders at Amazon and Arkon.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.