News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Idiots and Roundabouts

Started by Brandon, October 23, 2011, 11:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Idiots and Roundabouts, or How to Nearly Cause Three Head-On Accidents With Several Roadgeeks as Witnesses.

This idiot, in the red van, nearly causes three head-on collisions with us watching at the Kalamazoo meet.  We were observing the dumbbell roundabout interchange at Mattawan (Exit 66, I-94) when this moron turned left in spite of three one-way signs and a black on yellow chevron sign.

We all yelled at him to turn right, but he failed to listen.  Even another driver admonished him for driving the British direction in the roundabout.

How blind or stupid does one have to be to miss this:

:pan:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US71

Something similar happened in North Little Rock after a roundabout opened.
http://youtu.be/M_TOreA5iSE

I guess one would call it ignorance? I'm not crazy about Roundabouts mainly because I don't know what the other guy is going to do. :pan:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

I once saw a car go for a joy ride in one - just going around the world to the left. <--- yes I said left.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

vdeane

He might have been following internet directions.  I remember one time MapQuest send my family the wrong way around a traffic circle.  Thankfully we do pay attention to signs, but we had to figure out where it was trying to send us since we were going the other way!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SSOWorld

The AI in those maps can be dumb.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Truvelo

When approaching roundabouts my GPS says things like leave at the 3rd exit instead of saying turn left or right. I suppose if it says turn left at the roundabout you could easily turn left at the roundabout approach which is what the driver of the red van may have done. Surely having the yellow line on your right should have made it obvious :ded:
Speed limits limit life

SSOWorld

People and GPSs don't get along very well from what I have seen.  I only use one to pinpoint my location for the fun of it and to see "how far" (meaning - if a place is nearby) I am from a place.  It's always fun watching a GPS follow along with you on a trip :D
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Truvelo on October 25, 2011, 12:21:38 PM
Surely having the yellow line on your right should have made it obvious

Also, while there might be a few exceptions, most approaches are angled to the roundabout in such a way it would seem idiotic to loop to the left.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

1995hoo

When approaching roundabouts my GPS says things like leave at the 3rd exit instead of saying turn left or right. I suppose if it says turn left at the roundabout you could easily turn left at the roundabout approach which is what the driver of the red van may have done. Surely having the yellow line on your right should have made it obvious :ded:

Mine does the same as yours, although it says "traffic circle" instead of "roundabout" (Acura built-in sat-nav system made by Alpine). My wife's Garmin says "roundabout." I suppose if it indeed said "turn left" it underscores why many, perhaps most or all, sat-navs have those annoying nag screens telling you not to place blind trust in their directions.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jwolfer

Quote from: Mr_Northside on October 25, 2011, 01:29:40 PM
Surely having the yellow line on your right should have made it obvious

Also, while there might be a few exceptions, most approaches are angled to the roundabout in such a way it would seem idiotic to loop to the left.

I see idiots driving everyday.  Making U-Turns in unsafe places.  backing up on a freeway when they miss an exit when there is another exit 500 feet ahead.  Jetting from the left lane across 4 lanes of freeway to make an exit or my favorite just stopping in travel lanes for whatever reason. 

Being roadgeeks we could find our way without GPS but many people couldn't get out of their driveways without GPS directions

formulanone

Quote from: Mr_Northside on October 25, 2011, 01:29:40 PM

We have a few people that "straight-line" them in their pickup trucks.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.