News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Restaurants you frequent on the road

Started by roadman65, October 26, 2011, 10:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

Quote from: roadman65 on November 13, 2011, 01:04:18 PM
Then one post here about Publix as I live in Florida where they are everywhere.  It does bring up that most of us watching what we eat due to colesterol and sugar, that the chain stores use in their seasoning, it may be wise to buy our food at food markets and eat in the car or find a rest area to pull off in.

I do this occasionally; their stores are plentiful in Florida and generally in larger cities within Georgia, but less in Alabama and South Carolina. Some of the ore modern stores have tables to sit and have a bite to eat. Also, most locations have free coffee in the bakery department if you arrive between 7-8am (most stores open at 7am on weekdays)...so if you're really on the cheap, you can grab a cup or two. I worked for them for years, so I generally feel comfortable shopping there and their stores are usually immaculate.

Quote from: realjd on November 13, 2011, 07:55:05 PM
If you're looking for wings, Buffalo Wild Wings is the best chain by far, both in Florida and nationwide. They blow Hooters out of the water (although their waitresses tend to have smaller, less visible tits).

They've recently come to the South Florida market, but they're pretty good from what I've had on the road. Hooter's wing sauce doesn't agree with me.

Forgot about National Coney Island when I'm in the Detroit area...gimme two loaded dogs with onions and mustard and a Vernor's.

jdb1234

Quote from: formulanone on November 14, 2011, 01:23:40 PM
I do this occasionally; their stores are plentiful in Florida and generally in larger cities within Georgia, but less in Alabama and South Carolina.

Except in Birmingham, there are A LOT of Publix near me.

hbelkins

Quote from: wriddle082 on November 13, 2011, 05:14:42 PM
The only other markets where they both compete appear to be Clarksville, TN and Bowling Green, Somerset, and London in KY.  A few years ago there was one in Nicholasville, KY just south of Lexington, but I think it's gone now.  They do have one in Mt. Sterling, KY, about 30 miles east of Lexington, but no WC there that I'm aware of.

No WC in Mt. Sterling, you are correct. I've driven through the Krystal there many times. It's joined with a Shell food mart; at one time the venture was part of a chain of Shells operated by a family here in my town (went to school with their sons) but they sold out to Apple Market from Virginia.

WC and Krystal competed briefly in Richmond, along KY 876, but the Krystal closed and that location is now the site of a Lee's Famous Recipe. Krystal was closer to I-75 while White Castle has opened in an outparcel of Lowe's and Walmart a couple of miles to the east.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

OCGuy81

QuoteIf youre looking for wings, Buffalo Wild Wings is the best chain by far, both in Florida and nationwide. They blow Hooters out of the water (although their waitresses tend to have smaller, less visible tits).

Yeah, me thinks Hooters never really had to put much effort into their food.  Just a place for college chicks to make money without resorting to a pole.

Crazy Volvo Guy

If in a hurry, I usually find a Wendy's.  Their .99 menu tends to be the best, IMHO.

If I have time to stop for awhile, I look for mom 'n pop restaurants.  I almost always enjoy them much more than chains.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

formulanone

Just discovered Shane's Rib Shack in Georgia and North Carolina. Plenty of takes on the MUTCD signs, most using what seem to be right fonts.

Scott5114

Since so many people recommended Five Guys I decided to try the new one that just opened up here in Norman yesterday... It was all right (I had a burger with just ketchup and mustard and it tasted rather close to a Wendy's burger) but not worth the price in my opinion.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

I order it "All The Way, No Shrooms", which is similar to In and Out Burger's "Double Double Animal Style".

Jordanah1

its not a resteraunt, but whenever we go to see family up in door county wisconsin, we always get fresh cheese at Renards cheese off WI just past southern door highschool. best cheese i have ever had is from there, and living in wisconsin, I KNOW CHEESE!!
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

hbelkins

The fresh-cut fries -- and the amount you get with a small order -- is one of Five Guys' selling points. They fill the cup and then they dump a bunch of extra in the bag on top of the rest of the food.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on December 16, 2011, 07:16:30 PM
The fresh-cut fries -- and the amount you get with a small order -- is one of Five Guys' selling points. They fill the cup and then they dump a bunch of extra in the bag on top of the rest of the food.

I always laugh at the Five Guys rookies who order a large fry intending to eat it themselves. My wife and I order a regular fry to share and don't always finish it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 18, 2011, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 16, 2011, 07:16:30 PM

I always laugh at the Five Guys rookies who order a large fry intending to eat it themselves. My wife and I order a regular fry to share and don't always finish it.

Yeah, that was probably what made it so expensive for us. Having never been to one before we both ordered a regular fry not expecting the excess dumped in the bag. My girlfriend had leftover fries for lunch for three days.

triplemultiplex

The last year or two I've been on a Quizno's kick for some reason.  Maybe I just reached saturation on Subway for road subs.  (There seems to be one in every town with at least 1000 people.)

This being Wisconsin, if I'm on a burger kick, it's Culver's.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

My wife is not a big burger fan, and she likes Culver's.

WillWeaverRVA

Now that more of them are popping up, add Steak 'n Shake to the list of places I like to stop. Their shakes are incredible, and their burgers are pretty good too.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Jordanah1

i love culvers as well, whenever i can i go to a culvers or a&w and just get cheese curds.... i feel sorry for the rest of the nation that doesnt get to experiance the cheesy goodness.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

Scott5114

Culver's and Braum's are roughly equivalent.

US71

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 20, 2011, 05:57:27 PM
Now that more of them are popping up, add Steak 'n Shake to the list of places I like to stop. Their shakes are incredible, and their burgers are pretty good too.

I haven't stopped at SnS in a long time, but did when I was in KC a couple weeks ago: their chili is not as good as I remember it :(
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

exit322

Quote from: US71 on December 21, 2011, 09:31:16 AM
I haven't stopped at SnS in a long time, but did when I was in KC a couple weeks ago: their chili is not as good as I remember it :(

Glad it wasn't just me.

1995hoo

I've seen several of them here in Florida this week but haven't seen any at home in Northern Virginia. Maybe I'll have to check it out before we head back.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 24, 2011, 11:09:20 PM

I've seen several of them here in Florida this week but haven't seen any at home in Northern Virginia. Maybe I'll have to check it out before we head back.

The closest one to you is in Fredericksburg, off I-95 at Exit 126. A new one opened in Richmond last week off Laburnum Avenue, near I-64 (not far from the airport).

Quote from: US71 on December 21, 2011, 09:31:16 AM

Damn, that's a shame, I remember having their chili when I was in Illinois a few years ago. It was pretty good then.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Crazy Volvo Guy

Not to mention the prices.  For what little you pay for most things, you get a decent amount.  It's around fast-food pricing for a considerable step above fast food.

I really wish there was one here in Florence, but alas, the closest one is in Huntsville.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

1995hoo

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on December 25, 2011, 11:48:43 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 24, 2011, 11:09:20 PM

The closest one to you is in Fredericksburg, off I-95 at Exit 126. A new one opened in Richmond last week off Laburnum Avenue, near I-64 (not far from the airport).

Guess that's why I haven't seen one. Didn't get around to stopping at one in Florida, so I suppose I'll forget about it since I don't plan on heading towards Fredericksburg any time soon. Thanks anyway!

hobsini2

When out stormchasing, there are a handful of places we will go to if we are within 80 miles of it when done chasing for the day or for lunch. Here are my musts that are not major chains (and food i get) when we go chasing:

Kansas City MO - Jess N Jim's Steakhouse 517 E 135th St (BBQ Beef ribs or ribeye)
Sikeston MO - Lambert's 2305 E Malone-US 62 (Breadbowl salad and "throwing" rolls)
Ft Worth TX - Cattleman's Steakhouse 2458 N Main St (BBQ Beef ribs) (my fav Rib place in the world
    and by the FTW Stockyards-another cool museum)
Amarillo TX - Big Texan 7701 E I-40 (prime rib) (no I have not attempted the 72 ozer.)
Lubbock TX - Cagle's Steakhouse near 4th St FM 2255 & Inler Ave FM 179 (BBQ Beef ribs, Prime rib
    and Ribeye steaks) (Be forwarned Beef is about the ONLY thing on the menu)
Floydada TX - I can't remember the name of it but it was on US 70 and had a Gorilla statue dressed up as Uncle Sam next to it. (Best Cheeseburger ever)
Odessa TX - The Barn Door Steakhouse 2140 Andrews Hwy-US 385 (BBQ Beef ribs)
Boise City OK - Yellow Horse Cafe 500 E Main St-US 56/64/412 (Rueben sandwich)
Oklahoma City OK - County Line Rest. 1226 NE 63rd St (BBQ Beef ribs)
Dodge City KS - Montana Mike's 700 W Wyatt Earp Blvd-Bus US 50 (Buffalo burger)(Also been to the
    one in Colby KS-1855 S Range.)
Rapid City SD - Firehouse Brewery and Grill 610 Main St (Fish N Chips)
Denver CO - Breckenridge Brewery 2220 Blake St across from Coors Field (Reuben sandwich)
Fargo ND - Space Alien Cafe 1840 45th St. SW (Pizza) (think kind of like Chuck E Cheese but better)
Davenport IA - Machine Shed 7250 Northwest Blvd-Hwy 130 (BBQ Pork ribs) (also been to Rockford IL-7475 E State St-Bus US 20, Des Moines IA-I 80 & 35 Exit 125, and Pewaukee WI-N14W24145 Tower Place off I-94 & Hwy 164)
Green Bay WI - Brett Favre's Steakhouse - 1004 Brett Favre Pass off Lombardi Ave & Holmgren Way east of Lambeau Field (Prime rib with brown sugar butter)
Winneconne WI - Fin N Feather 22 W Main St-Hwy 116 (Friday Fish Fry)
DeKalb IL - Lukulo's 1101 W Lincoln Hwy-Hwy 38 at Annie Glidden Rd by NIU (Beer Nuggets with Red sauce)

Stuff locally that i frequent:
Naperville IL - Mason Sambika (Spanish)
Naperville IL - Bangkok Village (Thai)
Bolingbrook IL - Golden Chopsticks (Chinese)
Bolingbrook IL - Branmoor's (Steaks and Seafood)
Bolingbrook IL - Preno's (Best Gyros around)
Algonquin IL - Port Edward (Seafood)
Chicago IL - Philly's Best W Jackson Blvd E of Halsted St (Philly Cheesesteaks and Pizza)
Chicago IL - D'Agostino's Pizzaria W Addison St & N Southport Ave west of Wrigley Field (Chicago
    Deep Dish Pizza)
Chicago IL - Jim's Original Polish S Union St N of Maxwell St (go to the 1st building north, the one next dorr is an imposter and looks exactly the same) (Sandwiches and Hot Dogs) (Get the Bone In Pork Chop Sandwich for $3.80 with grilled onions and mustard, no peppers. Food of the Gods.)
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

bugo

There's a convenience store/gas station in Heavener, OK that has excellent chicken strips.  It is a "Finish Line" branded store.  You can get 3 strips, 3 potato logs, a roll, and a 20 ounce Coke for less than $5, and it is amazing.  I stop there almost every time I drive from Tulsa to Mena.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.