News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: Takumi on May 11, 2022, 02:58:14 PM
Quote from: Henry on May 11, 2022, 02:40:04 PM
I was just thinking about the whole "Joe Buck to ESPN" thing that will begin with the upcoming NFL season, but will he also continue to do the MLB announcing that he had on FOX?

No. His replacement is Joe Davis, who I believe comes from the Dodgers.
I'm well aware of that. I meant when he officially moves to ESPN, which would mean having to wait until 2023 to announce MLB games for them.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CoreySamson

Somehow the Reds managed to lose a game today whilst throwing a no-hitter. That is bizarre.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Alps

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 15, 2022, 07:06:48 PM
Somehow the Reds managed to lose a game today whilst throwing a no-hitter. That is bizarre.
their fault for pulling pitcher after 7. meanwhile Yankees won a game 5-1 on 2 hits. could easily have been up 2-1 on 0 hits all day.

Flint1979

The Reds pitcher walked the bases loaded and then a fielder's choice scored the Pirates run for a 1-0 score.

KeithE4Phx

That was only the 6th time in baseball history it's happened.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on May 15, 2022, 10:32:45 PM

I went to my last game at Old Comiskey Park in 1990. Two days later, the Sox beat the Yankees 4-0, getting no-hit, scoring their runs on three walks and two errors.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ilpt4u

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 15, 2022, 10:35:29 PM

I went to my last game at Old Comiskey Park in 1990. Two days later, the Sox beat the Yankees 4-0, getting no-hit, scoring their runs on three walks and two errors.
Today's Reds loss will not *officially* be recorded as a No-Hitter. For MLB Records to consider a game to be a no hitter, officially, 9 innings must be pitched

Since the Pirates had a 1-0 lead after the Top of the 9th, the Reds only pitched 8 innings of No Hit ball, so while no-hitting the Pirates, it will not be recorded as an official No Hitter

Flint1979

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 15, 2022, 10:35:29 PM

I remember that game well. Andy Hawkins was the pitcher for the Yankees. It was a 0-0 game going into the bottom of the 8th inning and I remember one of the Sox hitters reaching on an error, then I believe a walk followed, and another walk followed that loading the bases. Then Robin Ventura hits a flyball to left field and Jim Leyritz bobbles it making an error, the bases clear and Ventura ends up on 2nd. The very next hitter in the Sox lineup I think it was Ivan Calderon hit a flyball to right field and the same thing, an error and Calderon ends up on 2nd base with Ventura scoring the game was 4-0 at that point. One of the strangest games I have ever attended in person.

jp the roadgeek

I remember listening to Matt Young (he who could not throw overhand to first base), then of the Red Sox, pitch a game against the then Cleveland Indians  :rolleyes: in which he gave up no hits over 8 innings and lost 2-1 in the front end of a doubleheader.  Two walks and an error led to the Indians runs very early on, and the rest of the game was so frustrating listening to the Red Sox unable to do anything to tie the game (but then again, it's something I'd expect to see out of this year's team).  I did witness a minor league perfect game, but it wouldn't count in the majors because it was also part of a doubleheader and therefore the game was only 7 innings. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 15, 2022, 11:14:56 PM
Since the Pirates had a 1-0 lead after the Top of the 9th, the Reds only pitched 8 innings of No Hit ball, so while no-hitting the Pirates, it will not be recorded as an official No Hitter

True, but nonetheless a mistake, in my opinion.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

Nice one in today's comics.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Yankees 3B Josh Donaldson has been suspended for Jackie Robinson comment directed at White Sox SS Tim Anderson:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33972113/mlb-suspends-new-york-yankees-josh-donaldson-one-game-comments-chicago-white-sox-tim-anderson
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Henry on May 24, 2022, 11:01:13 AM
Yankees 3B Josh Donaldson has been suspended for Jackie Robinson comment directed at White Sox SS Tim Anderson:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33972113/mlb-suspends-new-york-yankees-josh-donaldson-one-game-comments-chicago-white-sox-tim-anderson

Surprised wasn't wasn't like 3-5 games.  Donaldson should have known better that a comment like that was gonna get him in a lot of hot water.

Other news Brewers pitcher Freddy Peralta out it seems at least into July with shoulder injury
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: gr8daynegb on May 24, 2022, 04:52:44 PM

Surprised wasn't wasn't like 3-5 games.  Donaldson should have known better that a comment like that was gonna get him in a lot of hot water.

Other news Brewers pitcher Freddy Peralta out it seems at least into July with shoulder injury

Would have been 3-5 games if he wasn't on one of MLB's preferred teams.

Alps

But he was quoting an earlier quote from the player he mentioned it to. So that to me is a mitigating factor.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Alps on May 24, 2022, 11:59:20 PM

But he was quoting an earlier quote from the player he mentioned it to. So that to me is a mitigating factor.

Except that it happened previously in 2019 and Anderson told him then that he didn't appreciate it. So in 2022 Donaldson knew it was offensive, still said it, and then said he thought it was a joke.

Alps

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 25, 2022, 07:21:31 AM
Quote from: Alps on May 24, 2022, 11:59:20 PM

Except that it happened previously in 2019 and Anderson told him then that he didn't appreciate it. So in 2022 Donaldson knew it was offensive, still said it, and then said he thought it was a joke.
I'll say for something like this - MLB has decided, we've presented our thoughts, let's all move on this thread.

KCRoadFan

The Reds scored 20 runs today. Wow.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: KCRoadFan on May 26, 2022, 11:39:56 PM

Well, they WERE playing the Cubs.  :-D :D :)
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on May 27, 2022, 01:24:25 AM

Chicago baseball lost their games yesterday by a combined score of 36-12.

The White Sox won the season series against the Red Sox 4-2, but were outscored 38-23.

White Sox have yet to win a single game when allowing more than 4 runs.

ET21

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 27, 2022, 08:05:19 AM

The White Sox won the season series against the Red Sox 4-2, but were outscored 38-23.

White Sox need to wake up, but God forbid they don't send a player a day to the IR or the dinosaur in La Russa changes the lineup for the millionth time this season.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Flint1979

Quote from: ET21 on May 27, 2022, 09:48:53 AM

White Sox need to wake up, but God forbid they don't send a player a day to the IR or the dinosaur in La Russa changes the lineup for the millionth time this season.
Yeah it pisses me off. I don't understand how guys can get comfortable in their roles when he keeps changing the lineup every damn day. He shouldn't have ever been hired anyway just dinosaur Jerry trying to fix a wrong from 36 years ago. It's long overdue for 86 year old dinosaur Jerry to sell the team. Dude never goes the extra mile to make the team better.

Henry

The Angels have fired Joe Maddon during a long losing streak. It's hard to believe that he's the same guy who managed the Cubs to their ultimate drought-busting destiny back in 2016 (aka a World Series title).

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 27, 2022, 05:17:54 PM

Yeah it pisses me off. I don't understand how guys can get comfortable in their roles when he keeps changing the lineup every damn day. He shouldn't have ever been hired anyway just dinosaur Jerry trying to fix a wrong from 36 years ago. It's long overdue for 86 year old dinosaur Jerry to sell the team. Dude never goes the extra mile to make the team better.
Ahem...they won the World Series in 2005.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on June 10, 2022, 01:12:48 PM
The Angels have fired Joe Maddon during a long losing streak. It's hard to believe that he's the same guy who managed the Cubs to their ultimate drought-busting destiny back in 2016 (aka a World Series title).

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 27, 2022, 05:17:54 PM

Ahem...they won the World Series in 2005.

Saying this as a White Sox fan, they won the World Series in 2005 because they found the right spare parts to put with the team they already had. Not in Jerry Reisndorf's entire tenure as owner has the team been a serious player for the elite free agents that the other five teams in the Top 3 markets regularly get. In recent years, they've been willing to get closer to the top of the market for catchers and relief pitchers, but mainly because those are positions that usually can be filled on 3-4 year deals and not the 7+ year deals that elite starting pitchers, outfielders and infielders get.

Flint1979

They just had the right mix of players for one season that every one had career years. The starting pitching and bullpen were in sync, you had Freddy, Garland, Buehrle, Contrerras and El Duque. Then Jenks happened to come upon the scene and pitched well that season as well.

Jerry Reinsdorf has never gone the extra mile to put a contender on the field on a yearly basis. He seems to get in the way of operations IMO because he has the final say on everything, they have to get Jerry's approval before they can do anything. Tony LaRussa is just a yes man for Reinsdorf that's all he is and that's all every manager he's had has been except maybe Ozzie because Ozzie didn't care what people thought he said what was on his mind.

This is the same Jerry that kept Robin Ventura around for 5 frustrating years as manager then Renteria for another 4. At least Ricky had experience something that Robin didn't have coming in. But you have a few good managers available and the best you can do is hire 76, now 77 year old Tony LaRussa just because you want to fix a wrong. Jerry honestly should have sold both the Sox and Bulls awhile ago, he isn't a fan friendly owner, he isn't interested in going the extra mile to put a contending team on the field, he just wants to make his ownership group happy and that is ridiculous. The guy is a billionaire and tries to be as cheap as possible. The Sox are suppose to be contending this year and they currently sit 3 games under .500 and 5 games out of first place. This team needs to start hitting, they have a .294 OBP which is awful. Outside of Kopech, Giolito, Cease, Hendricks, Graveman and Foster the pitching hasn't looked good at all.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.