News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Central Susquehanna Valley Transportation Project

Started by Beltway, November 16, 2011, 03:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Another thought I had about the southern section, specifically the PA 61 connector:

Currently, where PA 61 crosses the river and meets US 11/15, the ramp to US 11/15 NB provides access to Baldwin Blvd via a straight-through movement. Left turns are not allowed here (though there's nothing physically preventing it) and US 11/15 SB is accessed only from the trumpet ramp. The plans for the PA 61 connector add a full loop for the PA 61 to US 11/Bus 15 SB movement, adding nearly 1/2 mile of ramp length which would make it significantly shorter to take the Baldwin Blvd ramp and turn left.

Would it not make more sense to just add left turn lanes to the Baldwin Blvd ramp and make that the default ramp for PA 61 to US 11/Bus 15 SB? Keep in mind that traffic volumes making this movement will be significantly reduced with a lot of traffic taking CSVT instead. Similarly, US 11/Bus 15 itself will have less traffic, reducing concerns about signal cycle length/timing.

This would have two clear benefits: Firstly, it would more evenly distribute traffic on PA 61 over the river. With the current proposal, all traffic headed to US 11/Bus 15 SB AND CSVT (both directions) only has a single lane, while US 11/Bus 15 NB has its own lane. Whereas if US 11/Bus 15 SB traffic exited with NB traffic via the right lane, it would be closer to 50/50 between the lanes. Secondly, this would streamline and simplify the interchange design and ROW requirements by eliminating the loop ramp on the far west side. You'd have just a single set of ramps to/from the PA 61 connector rather than the current trumpet design. This would also shorten the ramp from US 11/Bus 15 to the PA 61 connector and allow for a narrower bridge, with no obvious downside.

Thoughts?

74/171FAN

(For PA 147 and PA 405)  PennDOT - District 3 News: CSVT Creates New Route Designations for Routes 147 and 405

You would think that this would have been included in the opening press release.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Roadsguy

Quote from: webny99 on July 12, 2022, 10:29:31 PM
Another thought I had about the southern section, specifically the PA 61 connector:

Currently, where PA 61 crosses the river and meets US 11/15, the ramp to US 11/15 NB provides access to Baldwin Blvd via a straight-through movement. Left turns are not allowed here (though there's nothing physically preventing it) and US 11/15 SB is accessed only from the trumpet ramp. The plans for the PA 61 connector add a full loop for the PA 61 to US 11/Bus 15 SB movement, adding nearly 1/2 mile of ramp length which would make it significantly shorter to take the Baldwin Blvd ramp and turn left.

Would it not make more sense to just add left turn lanes to the Baldwin Blvd ramp and make that the default ramp for PA 61 to US 11/Bus 15 SB? Keep in mind that traffic volumes making this movement will be significantly reduced with a lot of traffic taking CSVT instead. Similarly, US 11/Bus 15 itself will have less traffic, reducing concerns about signal cycle length/timing.

This would have two clear benefits: Firstly, it would more evenly distribute traffic on PA 61 over the river. With the current proposal, all traffic headed to US 11/Bus 15 SB AND CSVT (both directions) only has a single lane, while US 11/Bus 15 NB has its own lane. Whereas if US 11/Bus 15 SB traffic exited with NB traffic via the right lane, it would be closer to 50/50 between the lanes. Secondly, this would streamline and simplify the interchange design and ROW requirements by eliminating the loop ramp on the far west side. You'd have just a single set of ramps to/from the PA 61 connector rather than the current trumpet design. This would also shorten the ramp from US 11/Bus 15 to the PA 61 connector and allow for a narrower bridge, with no obvious downside.

Thoughts?

IIRC, having left turns from that ramp was the original plan in the old preliminary design, but a later revision (I believe at the same time as the realignment to avoid those ash basins) changed it to the currently planned configuration.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

(For PA 405)  9/13/2022 UPDATE: Portion of Route 405 to Close Next Week in Northumberland County

Quote9/13/2022 UPDATE: Route 405 is now open between Montandon and Northumberland. Motorist can expect intermittent lane restrictions with flagging over the next two weeks while the contractor completes miscellaneous construction in the area.

74/171FAN

webny99

74/171FAN

Well not quite yet.

QuoteMotorist are urged to drive with caution as they navigate the area. Traffic is being restricted to one lane in each direction as New Enterprise Stone & Lime continues construction. 

webny99

Quote from: 74/171FAN on September 27, 2022, 07:57:43 PM
Well not quite yet.

QuoteMotorist are urged to drive with caution as they navigate the area. Traffic is being restricted to one lane in each direction as New Enterprise Stone & Lime continues construction. 

Oh, I missed that. I guess that's why there will be "no changes" (meaning one lane is still closed) in the NB direction.

webny99

For anyone looking to follow along with the CSVT project (southern section) as it progresses, Brian's Susquehanna Thruway Project on FB is a great follow. I don't use FB myself, but have been checking in occasionally on the web. Here's a really cool video of the earthwork and progress on the southern section.

74/171FAN

webny99

webny99

US 15 southbound now has street view from August which shows the ramps to the CSVT bridge open (no street view on the bridge itself yet, sadly):  https://goo.gl/maps/TqqGeVREc876YmFw8

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2022, 08:40:42 PM
US 15 southbound now has street view from August which shows the ramps to the CSVT bridge open (no street view on the bridge itself yet, sadly):  https://goo.gl/maps/TqqGeVREc876YmFw8

Also of note, a new post-interchange mileage sign waiting to be installed. It appears to read as follows:

Northumberland 6
Sunbury           10
(bottom line illegible)

Based on that, the sign must be for PA 147 SB south of the PA 45 interchange. I'm guessing the last line says either Selinsgrove or Harrisburg.

amroad17

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2022, 08:51:41 PM

Also of note, a new post-interchange mileage sign waiting to be installed. It appears to read as follows:

Northumberland 6
Sunbury           10
(bottom line illegible)

Based on that, the sign must be for PA 147 SB south of the PA 45 interchange. I'm guessing the last line says either Selinsgrove or Harrisburg.
Probably Selinsgrove, which is around 14 miles away from where the sign will be posted.  Harrisburg is around 60 miles from where the sign will be posted. 
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

webny99

Quote from: amroad17 on December 06, 2022, 09:54:17 PM

Northumberland 6
Sunbury           10
(bottom line illegible)

Probably Selinsgrove, which is around 14 miles away from where the sign will be posted.  Harrisburg is around 60 miles from where the sign will be posted.

You're probably right. However, my personal preference would have been to skip Sunbury, put Selinsgrove on the 2nd line, and Harrisburg on the 3rd line.

Ketchup99

Northumberland 6
Sunbury           10
(bottom line illegible)

My guess is Harrisburg - PA likes to put faraway-ish cities as the third city on those signs. But I guess we'll have to wait and see.

74/171FAN

webny99

Another update from Brian's CSVT on FB showing a considerable amount of progress on the southern section, especially from the PA 61 connector north, which is really starting to take shape now. There's also some work on a big box culvert just south of the PA 61 connector, a lot of earthwork near 11th Ave and Stetler Ave, and more earthwork further south where CSVT will cross Attig Rd and Mill Rd/Airport Rd, with a pair of new roundabouts for the latter junction. Early in the video you can see steady traffic coming off the new bridge showing just how much use this section will get when complete.  :nod:

https://www.facebook.com/CSVTAerialPics/videos/404903805138685

seicer

I am reminded how far we've come in aerial photography and videography. No longer do we need to hang out of open-air helicopters for wobbly shots at heights that make it ... hard to see details. (Not complaining, I appreciate the effort but found the video hard to follow.)

webny99

Quote from: seicer on December 29, 2022, 10:10:10 PM
I am reminded how far we've come in aerial photography and videography. No longer do we need to hang out of open-air helicopters for wobbly shots at heights that make it ... hard to see details. (Not complaining, I appreciate the effort but found the video hard to follow.)

I do agree with you there. I usually watch these videos with Google Maps satellite open on my second screen and the project map in another tab to refer to as needed.

In any case, here is a shorter but better quality GoPro video from the same day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FM8560uz28

seicer

That is a nice view from a GoPro. I just picked up a GoPro 11 to do 5K recording and am blown away at the smoothness of the videos (thanks to years of development with its gimbal). You can see that come through in Brian's aerial tour. Unrelated, I found an original GoPro that I had stored in a box for many years. All plastic, viewfinder (no LCD screen) and works just as well as it did all those years ago.

74/171FAN

webny99

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 30, 2023, 09:05:04 AM
(For US 11, US 15, PA 45, PA 147, and PA 405) PennDOT - District 3 News: PennDOT Releases Preliminary Traffic Count Numbers After CSVT Opening

Thanks, I saw this in the news and was just about to post it! No surprises here - it is great to see the new bridge serving its purpose in reducing traffic in Lewisburg and Northumberland. A 75% decrease in truck traffic on PA 405 (old PA 147) is impressive. My guess is the bridge will get even more use after the Southern Section opens.

webny99

And here's another video flyover of the Southern section. A lot of tree clearing has been done, and abutments have been built for several of the bridges. For the first time, you can really see the path the new highway will take from end to end, and get a sense of where some of the overpasses will be: https://www.facebook.com/CSVTAerialPics/videos/1344872199662097

I recall hearing earlier that the PA 61 connector would be built after the rest of the project, but at least for now it seems to be progressing along with the CSVT mainline.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.