News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What's on your ipod? Favorite songs in the car?

Started by OCGuy81, November 16, 2011, 11:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

Who are your favorite musical artists?  And who do you rock out in your car to?

I'm a classic rock guy myself.  I love the Stones, Beatles, Dylan, The Who, The Doors, and one of my all time favorites is Rush (Geddy Lee!!!). Love me some 90s alt and grunge as well, having been in middle school and high school during that time.

When I'm in the car, probably my two favorite songs to rock out to are Tom Petty "Runnin Down a Dream" and "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen.  On the latter, I'm always reminded of Wayne's World, and will bang my head to it as well.  I'm a dork like that.

corco

Depends on where I'm driving. If I'm on the expressway/in traffic, I'm also a classic rock guy, and I agree that Runnin Down a Dream is an excellent driving song. Petty is good, I like the Cult a lot for driving, Phish, anything on your typical 60s/70s/80s classic rock radio station, and a slew of others

If I'm off freeway, not in a hurry, just enjoying the scenery I prefer country/folk. I'm a big Chuck Pyle fan when driving in the west, because he, among anybody else I've ever listened to, does an excellent job of describing the wide open spaces and beauty. Among mainstream artists, I love me some John Denver, early Elton John (think Tumbleweed Connection), softer Springsteen stuff, Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, the Highwaymen, Alan Jackson, Ian Tyson, Chris LeDoux, just whatever.

Usually I listen to whatever's on the FM when I drive through new territory- if I don't have time to get out of the car, at least that gives me some way to connect with the community.

Takumi

I'd have to say my primary musical interest is different than most. I listen to a lot of electronic music, particularly drum & bass. I still like a lot of rock though, and pretty much anything that isn't rap or metal is fine by me.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

agentsteel53

speed metal and classic rock for the most part.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

formulanone

I either choose an album or artist based on my mood, force iTunes to create a playlists based on genre, or just put it on random. If I'm in my car, the radio unit lets me swap between "shuffle (everything)" and "continuous play" on the I  fly, which is a neat feature. I have over 7000 songs on the iPod, and it's getting to the point where I almost feel like I could never buy another album again, and frighteningly to the point where I almost can't decide anymore, unless I've thought all day about listening to Song/Album X by Artist Y. And I feel I span quite a few genres, mostly because my dad had some good taste in music, and worked in the recording industry equipment sales for a few years. Few friends of mine were into the same sort of music than my next buddy, either.

Led Zeppelin, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Yes, Rush, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Ministry, Johnny Cash, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Clearence Clearwater Revival, The Beatles, Steely Dan, Peter Gabriel, U2, Gorillaz, Public Enemy, Eric B. & Rakim, KRS-One/Boogie Down Productions, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Orbital, Autechre, Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim, The Beastie Boys, Frank Black, the various works of Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, Dvorak, some comedic works from George Carlin and Lewis Black, and many, many more partial albums (if I only like a few songs) and some one-hit wonder songs, offbeat stuff like movie samples, video game songs (Grand Theft Auto "radio" commercials, for example), and a few kid's songs (athough in my car, that amounts to a few Schoolhouse Rock ditties for the kids).

...so there's bound to be something to love or hate in that bunch. To be honest, the two genres that never really gelled with me were punk and speed metal. I'll listen to some country and even bluegrass on the radio, if I'm in the mood (or forgot the damn iPod).

1995hoo

I do not use an iPod in the car. My stereo can play DVD-Audio discs and I have software to allow me to burn my own discs in that format, which lets me either burn high-rez audio to disc or, alternatively, burn very large quantities of CD-quality audio to a single disc. As an example of the latter, I have one DVD-Audio disc in the car right now that contains the mono releases of the Beatles' first ten albums from the Beatles in Mono boxed set released in 2009. (The Mono Masters two-CD set wouldn't fit.) Those ten albums take up 11 CDs because the White Album is a double-set, so having them all on a single DVD-Audio saves a ton of space in the car. Then multiply that times six to correspond to the six-disc changer and I've got a lot of stuff that can take me a very long way without having to change the disc.

If I don't feel like listening to any of the discs in the car, my XM music presets are 70s on 7, 80s on 8, Deep Tracks, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind, and E Street Radio (in that order 1—6 on the presets); I also have presets for Fox News, the BBC World Service, ESPN Radio, MLB Network Radio, NHL Home Ice, and the DC/Baltimore/Atlanta traffic channel.

As far as what's on my iPod, a major portion (31.71 GB out of a current 73.14 GB) consists of Springsteen stuff, including a large number of concerts. When in doubt, I play Springsteen, and I tend to opt for the concerts over the studio stuff. In terms of taking those in the car, I've found that generally two concerts will fit on one DVD-Audio.

As for what I've been listening to recently, I discovered a Celtic rock band from Vermont called Prydein and I picked up two of their albums. I like bagpipes and this band works them into rock songs. The old J. Geils Band chestnut "Centerfold" may be one of the more overplayed classic rock songs of all time, but I think it's fair to say it's also one of the most instantly-recognizable guitar riffs at the beginning. Prydein covered it and replaced that guitar with bagpipes playing the same riff.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

realjd

I've been listening to the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album a lot lately as well as Mumford and Sons one and only album.

When I'm not listening to music from my iPhone, I usually have the radio tuned to Sirius XM Lithium and Alt Nation.

Duke87

I do not own any sort of portable mp3 player, so, to the first question... nothing.

To the second question, I drive in silence on short trips but for longer trips I usually like music that has a lot of energy to it or at least makes good driving music. My car is currently stocked with:
- Disturbed
- System of a Down
- Rage Against the Machine
- Rush
- Kirby Krackle
- Lemon Demon
- Fucked Up
- The Protomen
- Stabbing Westward
- Third Eye Blind
- and a couple other odds and ends

(this is all in CD form)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

AsphaltPlanet

This is a good thread.  I don't think there is anything that goes with driving quite like good music.

I plug my iPod into my car on long road trips.  Some of the bands that I am into right now are:
- Arcade Fire, The Suburbs (solid, solid disc, definitely worth a listen).  Neighbourhoods is pretty solid as well.
- City and Colour - Great for scenic trips cruising beside a river in the summer
- Foo Fighters - some good hard rock mixed with some pretty solid melodies
- Foster the People - good for a heavily traveled freeway that's still moving above the limit
- MGMT, specifically Electric Feel (Justice Remix), that song is amazing on the freeway particularly at night.  The song practically begs you to drive fast.
- Matthew Good (Band) - solid stuff, go to alt-rock.
- the Raconteurs - Jack White at his (second) best
- Smashing Pumpkins, classic stuff
- Tool, specifically Lateralus, the best night time freeway driving song ever composed. period.
- Tokyo Police Club - a local band from Newmarket Ontario that has an incredibly unique poppy but full sound.  Very cool music.
- (finally), the White Stripes, Jack White at his best
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

relaxok

I don't listen to CDs much in the car and don't have an ipod hookup, but i listen to SiriusXM quite a lot..

Favorite stations:
-- First Wave (new wave)
-- XMU (new indie music)
-- Studio 54 (disco/post-disco)

I also have the 70s/80s/90s stations on preset just in case i feel like chancing it.. :p

D-Dey65

I recently lost the ability to play all the tunes on my iPod in my car. When I drove up the coast this past Spring, I didn't really have a problem with it. During the past few times I've used it though, I've had no control over what gets played. Whatver band I was listening to before, that's what I'm able to play in my car. Usually I just stick an SD card in a card reader and plug it in the USB jack, or I just use my flash drive.

I can still play the tunes, I just can't contol which ones I play.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.