News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

General PA Design/Construction News

Started by 74/171FAN, October 12, 2023, 01:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

(For PA 199)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Route 199 Reconstruction Project Continues in Sayre and Athens, Bradford County

(For PA 28/PA 66)  PennDOT - District 10 News: Goheenville Safety Improvement Project Progresses in Armstrong County

(For US 220)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Route 220 Bridge Improvement Project Continues Next Week in Lycoming County

(For I-180)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Project Continues Along Interstate 180 in Lycoming County

(For I-376/US 22/US 30 and PA 885)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Route 885 Boulevard of the Allies Overnight Lane Restrictions Next Week in Pittsburgh

QuotePittsburgh, PA – PennDOT District 11 is announcing lane restrictions on Route 885 (Boulevard of the Allies) in the City of Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, will occur Monday through Thursday nights, April 8-11 weather permitting.

Single-lane restrictions will occur as needed in both directions on Route 885 in the area of the Birmingham Bridge from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. each night. Crews will conduct preparatory work expansion dam replacement.

Overnight closures of the ramp carrying traffic from westbound (inbound) I-376 (Parkway East) to I-579 Boulevard of the Allies/Liberty Bridge (Exit 72B) will occur from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Monday night through Thursday night, April 8-11.  As a reminder, the ramp closure will occur weeknights as needed through the end of 2024. Ramp traffic will be detoured.

Posted Detours

I-376 Westbound to the Boulevard of the Allies/Liberty Bridge

From westbound (inbound) I-376, continue past the closed ramp

Take the Grant Street (Exit 71A) left-hand off-ramp

Follow Grant Street to the Boulevard of the Allies

To continue to the Liberty Bridge, turn right onto the Boulevard of the Allies

Turn right onto the ramp to the Liberty Bridge

End detour

I-376 Westbound to Northbound I-579

From westbound (inbound) I-376, continue past the closed ramp

Take the Grant Street (Exit 71A) left-hand off-ramp

From Grant Street, turn right onto Seventh Avenue

Take the ramp to North 579/East 380 toward PPG Arena/Bigelow Boulevard

Take the left-hand ramp to North 579/East 380 toward Veterans Bridge/Bigelow Boulevard

Take the ramp to North 579 toward the Veterans Bridge

End detour

Preservation work on two mainline Route 885 Boulevard of the Allies bridges and several ramps at the interchange are included in this $35.41 million project. Work will include bridge deck repairs and overlays, expansion dam replacements, steel superstructure and substructure repairs, bearing replacements, full painting, concrete substructure repairs, downspout replacements, drainage repairs, signing and pavement parking upgrades and other miscellaneous construction activities. Motorists will encounter short term lane closures, night and weekend closures of the ramps and Route 885 in each direction, weekend lane restrictions, and overnight directional closures of I-376 Parkway East, long-term closures of Forbes Avenue, Brady Street, and ramps at the Birmingham Bridge. Short-term and weeknight lane closures of Second Avenue are also included throughout this multi-year project.

To help keep motorists informed as work progresses, PennDOT has created an email distribution list for Route 885 Boulevard of the Allies traffic advisories and construction updates. Enroll by sending email addresses to stcowan@pa.gov. Please write "Subscribe – Boulevard of the Allies" in the subject line.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional X alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

(For PA 130)  PennDOT - District 12 News: Route 130 Harrison Avenue Pipe Replacement Begins Next Week in Westmoreland County

(For PA 45)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Bridge Preservation Project Continues this Weekend on Lewisburg River Bridge

(For US 15)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Route 15 Guide Sign Upgrade Project Begins in Lycoming and Tioga Counties
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

74/171FAN

Roadsguy

Quote from: 74/171FAN on March 30, 2024, 06:17:27 AMhttps://web.archive.org/web/20190603014247/http://sp.route.transportation.org/Documents/05%2014%202015%20Cheyenne,%20WY%20Report/SM%202015%20USRN%20SCOH%20REPORT.pdf

It was actually approved by AASHTO in 2015 with signage posted in 2016.

My understanding is that businesses complained about the loss of US 202 along the old route.  Note though that the AASHTO approval mentions a concurrency with PA 611 back to US 202, but that is obviously not signed in the field.

Ah, that makes sense. I guess I just hadn't really paid close enough attention to the old alignment for the first three years after the parkway opened to notice that they didn't post Business 202 until later. Thanks!
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

(For PA 66)  PennDOT - District 10 News: Route 66 Open After Slide in Armstrong County

(For PA 228)  PennDOT - District 10 News: Balls Bend Safety Improvement Project in Middlesex Township, Butler County Enters Final Phase of Project

(For PA 68)  PennDOT - District 10 News: PennDOT Announces Virtual Plans Display for the Little Licking Creek Bridge Replacement in Sligo Borough, Clarion County

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 04, 2024, 08:48:17 AM(For PA 51 and I-70)  PennDOT - District 12 News: Route 51 Lane Shifts in Westmoreland County POSTPONED

PennDOT - District 12 News: Route 51 Lane Shifts in Westmoreland County POSTPONED to April 16

(For PA 347)  PennDOT - District 4 News: PennDOT Announces Online Plans Display for the Rehabilitation of Route 347 (Lackawanna Ave) over Lackawanna River in Olyphant, Dickson City, and Blakely Boroughs, Lackawanna County, PA

QuoteDunmore, PA – The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) invites the public to view an online plans display regarding the Rehabilitation of Route 347 over the Lackawanna River.

The purpose of the project is to rehabilitate several deteriorated areas on and around the bridge and improve the channel of the Lackawanna River under the bridge to maintain continued access for local residents, businesses, and emergency services.

The Route 347 rehabilitation project proposes to provide a concrete deck overlay on the bridge, repair and replace portions of the sidewalk on and adjacent to the bridge, provide an ADA compliant ramp in the southwest corner, repair damaged portions of the sidewalk railing, and provide protective coatings to the exterior beams. The project also proposes to remove the sediment island around the pier and place rock channeling at the abutments to maintain flow down the center of the channel under low flow conditions. The roadway will be milled and overlayed to match with the new deck overlay. No additional roadway improvements are anticipated with this project. Utility conflicts are not anticipated for this project. Temporary right-of-way easements are anticipated at the four corners of the bridge. The flood protection gate at the south side of the bridge will not be affected.

Removal of the sediment bar is proposed to improve the river's flow capacity under the bridge, and the rock channeling is proposed to prevent sediment bars from forming in the future.

No significant historical or cultural resources are present within the project site. Wetlands are not present within the project limits. Other environmentally sensitive resources will not be affected by the project. The entrance/exit to the Lackawanna River Heritage Trail will be closed at the intersection with Lackawanna Avenue during the sidewalk replacement.

The repairs are expected to be constructed with no significant impact to traffic on Route 347, and access will be maintained to all local businesses. The deck overlay and approach work is proposed to be completed using nighttime operations, maintaining one lane of traffic. Additional daytime shoulder closures and short-term lane shifts will be necessary to complete sidewalk repairs and for equipment access. Construction is expected to be completed in the Fall of 2025.

The plans display will be held online and will be available from April 12, 2024, to May 3, 2024. Online information, including detailed project information and comment form, can be found by visiting the following PennDOT District 4-0 website: Public Meetings (pa.gov). Click on the Lackawanna County box, then choose the tile marked Route 347 over Lackawanna River Bridge Rehabilitation.

The purpose of the plans display is to introduce the project, display and describe the planned traffic control, and receive public input regarding questions or concerns with the project.

The project documents can be made available in alternative languages or formats if requested. If you need translation/interpretation services or have special needs or have special concerns that require individual attention, contact Rich Poplawski, PennDOT Project Manager, at 570-963-4064 or rpoplawski@pa.gov .

Pursuant to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, PennDOT does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, or disability. If you feel that you have been denied the benefits of, or participation in a PennDOT program or activity, you may contact the PennDOT, Bureau of Equal Opportunity, DBE/Title VI Division at 717-787-5891 or 800-468-4201.

For more information on projects occurring or being bid this year, those made possible by or accelerated by the state transportation funding plan (Act 89), or those on the department's Four and Twelve Year Plans, visit PA Projects.

Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike, Susquehanna, Wayne, and Wyoming counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District4.

Information about infrastructure in District 4, including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.pa.gov/D4Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at www.projects.penndot.gov.

Find PennDOT news on X, Facebook, and Instagram. 

(For PA 885)  PennDOT - District 11 News: Northbound Route 885 Boulevard of the Allies Weekend Closure April 12-15 in Pittsburgh

PennDOT - District 9 News: Shapiro Administration Previews 2024 Laurel Highlands Region Construction Season

QuoteAs part of county outreach sessions beginning today, Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) District 9 officials will be highlighting more than 83 projects anticipated to be under construction in 2024 in the Laurel Highlands region, reflecting an estimated investment of $180 million. Governor Josh Shapiro's commitment to delivering safe highways and bridges across the Commonwealth remains a top priority. These investments support the Shapiro Administration's vision of a safe and reliable transportation network that connects Pennsylvanians to greater opportunity.

Governor Shapiro's 2023-24 budget secured $125 million to fully leverage federal Bipartisan Infrastructure Law investments and improve Pennsylvania's roads and bridges. The investment is made possible by decoupling Pennsylvania State Police funding from the Motor License Fund and is the first year of the Governor's four-year proposal to invest an additional $1.25 billion in the state's infrastructure. Statewide in 2023, 684 bridges went out for bid to be repaired, replaced, or preserved and 7,011 roadway miles were improved by department or partner crews.

"Our 2024 construction season features key projects across our region that will improve critical features of our transportation system," said PennDOT District 9 Executive Vince Greenland. "These projects, and others across Pennsylvania, are an investment to not only improve travel across the state, but also benefit the communities that rely on these transportation links."

District 9 annual Transportation Outreach sessions began today in Bedford and Fulton counties, with meetings to be held in Huntingdon and Blair counties on Thursday, April 11, and on Thursday, April 18, in Somerset and Cambria counties. PennDOT representatives meet with area stakeholders during each presentation to discuss planned and future construction and maintenance projects currently in design.

"The financial support system built with federal and state dollars expands our ability to bid more jobs, keeping more Pennsylvanians employed and taking care of their families," added Greenland.

Overall highlights in the 2024 construction season for District 9 (Bedford, Blair, Cambria, Fulton, Huntingdon, and Somerset counties) include:

Approximately 149 miles of paving;
Approximately 79 bridges will be repaired or replaced;
Approximately 375 miles of roadway will be seal coated.
Notable ongoing projects that will continue this year include:

Interstate 70, Breezewood to Fulton County Line resurfacing, Bedford County, $23.5 million.
Route 160 Tributary to Conemaugh River bridge replacement, Cambria County, $4.8 million.
I-70, Maryland to Bedford County Line resurfacing, Fulton County, $43 million.
Route 403, U.S. 219 to Route 985, resurfacing and slide repair, Somerset County, $15.7 million.
Notable projects that are expected to begin this year include:

U.S. 220, Maryland Line to Narrow Lane (T-337) resurfacing, Bedford County, $4.5 million.
I-99, Newry to 17th Street resurfacing and auxiliary lane, Blair County, $23.4 million.
Route 4013 (Chestnut Avenue), Tenth Street to Greely Street resurfacing and safety upgrades, Blair County, $4.5 million.
Route 1009 (Frankstown Road), Route 1021 to Route 36 safety improvements, Blair County, $7.5 million.
U.S. 22 over Carson Valley Road superstructure replacement, Blair County, $4.6 million.
Route 2019 (Level Road) over U.S. 22 Bridge superstructure replacement, Cambria County, $4 million.
Route 56, Widman Street to Walters Avenue resurfacing, Cambria County, $14.7 million.
Route 522, U.S. 30 to PA Turnpike resurfacing, Fulton County, $3.3 million.
Route 994 Tatman Run Bridge replacement, Huntingdon County, $1.7 million.
Route 31, Barn Swallow Road to Somerset Line resurfacing, Somerset County, $3.6 million.
Information from the District's Transportation Outreach sessions will be available after each session on the District 9 Transportation Outreach 2024.

As construction projects are underway in the region, the traveling public can anticipate seeing many work zones and are urged to keep in mind their safety and the safety of highway workers. When encountering a work zone, please drive the posted speed limit, turn on your headlights, pay close attention to signs and flaggers and avoid all distractions. In high traffic locations, motorists are encouraged to use both lanes of travel to the merge point and to take turns merging into the open lane.

Motorists are encouraged to "Know Before They Go" by checking conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or on X.

Follow PennDOT on X and like the department on Facebook and Instagram.

Subscribe to PennDOT news in Bedford, Blair, Cambria, Fulton, Huntingdon, and Somerset counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District9.

74/171FAN

(For PA 199) PennDOT - District 3 News: Route 199 Reconstruction Project Continues in Sayre and Athens, Bradford County

(For PA 44)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Mill and Resurfacing Project Set to Begin Next Week on Routes 44 and 3003 in Lycoming County

(For US 422)  PennDOT - District 6 News: Roadway Construction Planned Next Week on U.S. 422 Improvement Project in Lower Pottsgrove Township

PennDOT - District 6 News: PennDOT to Begin Project to Replace the Callowhill Road Bridge in Hilltown Township

(For US 1)  PennDOT - District 6 News: New Traffic Pattern Planned Next Thursday Night on Rockhill Drive in Bensalem Township Under U.S. 1 Improvement Project

PennDOT - District 11 News: Northbound Freeport Road Underpass at the New Kensington Bridge Closes Monday in East Deer

(For US 422) PennDOT - District 6 News: Resurfacing Scheduled on U.S. 422 East Ramp to Swedesford Road in Tredyffrin Township

(For US 322) PennDOT - District 8 News: Milroy Road/Grayson Road Intersection to be Shifted at Route 322/Chambers Hill Road Intersection Improvement Project in Swatara Township, Dauphin County

PennDOT - District 11 News: Sewickley Bridge Closure in Allegheny County Begins April 19

(For PA 51)  PennDOT - District 12 News: TRAFFIC ALERT: Route 51 Detour in Fayette County

(For PA 642)  PennDOT - District 3 News: Weekend Detours Starting This Friday on Route 642 EB in Union and Northumberland Counties for Bridge Project

PennDOT - District 2 News: Presqueisle Street Bridge Removal Starts Monday

PennDOT - District 11 News: Eastbound I-376 Parkway East Ramp Closure Underway in Churchill

74/171FAN

(For PA 309)  PennDOT - District 4 News: On and Off-Ramps for Route 309 Northbound and Southbound Closed in Luzerne County

QuoteDunmore, PA- The on and off-ramps at Exit 6 (Luzerne) for Route 309 northbound and southbound are closed due to a mine subsidence. The estimated date of reopening is to be determined.

When encountering a work zone, please drive the posted speed limit, turn on your headlights, pay close attention to signs and flaggers, and avoid all distractions. In high-traffic locations, motorists are encouraged to use both lanes of travel to the merge point and take turns merging into the open lane.

Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras. 511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following local alerts on X.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike, Susquehanna, Wayne, and Wyoming counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District4.

Information about infrastructure in District 4, including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.pa.gov/D4Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at www.projects.penndot.gov.

Find PennDOT news on X, Facebook, and Instagram.

PennDOT - District 4 News: On and Off-Ramps for Route 309 Northbound and Southbound Now Open in Luzerne County

QuoteDunmore, PA- The on and off-ramps at Exit 6 (Luzerne) for Route 309 northbound and southbound closed on Sunday afternoon have been reopened.

When encountering a work zone, please drive the posted speed limit, turn on your headlights, pay close attention to signs and flaggers, and avoid all distractions. In high-traffic locations, motorists are encouraged to use both lanes of travel to the merge point and take turns merging into the open lane.

Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information, and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras. 511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following local alerts on X.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional Twitter alerts accessible on the 511PA website.

Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike, Susquehanna, Wayne, and Wyoming counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District4.
Information about infrastructure in District 4, including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.pa.gov/D4Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at www.projects.penndot.gov.

(For PA 66)  PennDOT - District 10 News: Route 66 Closure Due to Slide in Clarion County

QuoteIndiana, PA – PennDOT is announcing that a portion of Route 66 between the intersection of Route 861 in New Bethlehem and Olean Trail in Limestone Township, Clarion County is closed due to a slide.

There is no estimated time to reopen at this point.

Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras.

511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following regional X alerts.

Subscribe to PennDOT news in in Armstrong, Butler, Clarion, Indiana, and Jefferson counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District10.

PennDOT - District 10 News: Route 66 Open in Clarion County

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.