News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Being marry or single

Started by Tom89t, January 10, 2012, 12:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geogroadwxguy91

NO marriage for me, thats out... I wont water down my geographic life experience in that sacriligious fashion

Laura

A spouse and a love of roads and traveling are not mutually exclusive things :)

mgk920

There are many times when I wish that I was in a committed relationship with someone (she'd have to at least tolerate my love of roads and the like) and many other times when I'm glad that I'm not.

:spin:

Mike

Alps

Quote from: Laura Bianca on February 13, 2012, 11:54:33 PM
A spouse and a love of roads and traveling are not mutually exclusive things :)
Well, where are all the other female roadgeeks :D

corco

The way I figure is that if I spend a good amount of time sitting at home uploading pictures of road signs and/or out on the road driving by myself and not out being social, the girl for me is probably doing exactly the same thing, which considerably lowers the odds that we'll ever actually meet.

I firmly believe the female roadgeeks are out there, but they're hiding, with rare exceptions like Laura.

kurumi

Quote from: US71 on January 29, 2012, 02:52:07 PM
I look at being single this way: if I want to spend the day chasing bridges, I don't need to get the spouse's permission first  :biggrin:

Always the bridgemaid, never the bridge.

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Takumi

I once dated someone who expressed interest in road signs, but she lived in area where her cell phone got horrible signals (something she told me at the start), so things never really got off the ground.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Given this is Valentine's Day, let me wish everyone a Happy VD

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

mgk920

Quote from: corco on February 14, 2012, 01:18:46 AM
The way I figure is that if I spend a good amount of time sitting at home uploading pictures of road signs and/or out on the road driving by myself and not out being social, the girl for me is probably doing exactly the same thing, which considerably lowers the odds that we'll ever actually meet.

I firmly believe the female roadgeeks are out there, but they're hiding, with rare exceptions like Laura.

Well, there is Kim in the Illinois-suburban Saint Louis area (ocassional poster in here and on e-mail lists) and there used to be one in the Niles, MI area, back in my MTR days, too.  But yes, they are very rare (maybe if one can mix in unscheduled little sidetrips on lonely sideroads as part of the joint roadgeeking routine   :nod:  ).

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: US71 on February 14, 2012, 11:19:20 AM
Given this is Valentine's Day, let me wish everyone a Happy VD

Ahh, I don't know . . . that one could be a bit of a 'double-edged' sword....

:wow:

Anyways, there is a little town called 'Valentine' in Nebraska (it's at US 20/83 in the far north-central part of the state).

Mike

exit322

Quote from: kurumi on January 10, 2012, 01:26:29 PM
I would almost watch a "Polygamist Bachelor" reality show. ("I... choose you all!")

Well, given it'd take about as long as a commercial break inside any other show, I think we could all handle such proceedings.

ctsignguy

For me, i would like a lady who wont mind (and actively enjoy) roadtrips...and can tolerate (if not help) me at various signs shops and depots looking for buried treasure.....my most recent SO would have sat in my car, pounding a hole in the floorboard with her foot as if to say "Will you hurry UP so we can GO somewhere?"
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

formulanone

My wife enjoys the car rides into the middle of nowhere, but less so when the low fuel light is illuminated!

She really couldn't care less about the signs, shields, and infrastructure, but she'll listen to my historical blather.

hbelkins

My wife tolerates my roadgeekery. She tries to find things I can use on trips for Christmas or birthday presents. And she has even started taking road and sign pictures when she goes on trips and I'm not with her.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vtk

I wonder which is more common, gay roageeks or girl roadgeeks? Both groups have a tendency to be "in the closet" I think, so the answer may be elusive.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Alps

Quote from: vtk on February 17, 2012, 12:11:06 AM
I wonder which is more common, gay roageeks or girl roadgeeks? Both groups have a tendency to be "in the closet" I think, so the answer may be elusive.
Gay roadgeeks by 10:1. Everyone knows it.

US71

Quote from: Steve on February 17, 2012, 12:32:58 AM

I have a female friend in Little Rock who's sort of a "passive roadgeek". She'll notice things as she's driving along, but doesn't actively seek things out. She has tipped me off to a few Mississippi bridges, though.

I have an ex-GF who saw a North 63B/South 67B in Walnut Ridge and says she thought of me (amazing! She never thought of me before).

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

I know, or know of, I think, six gay roadgeeks (three in one state, one in another state, one in yet another state and one former US resident now in Canada; I think only two of them post here.) I can only think of four female roadgeeks, all of whom post here and only two that I have met. And one of the females is lesbian, so she gets counted in both categories.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2012, 11:58:04 AM

I know, or know of, I think, six gay roadgeeks (three in one state, one in another state, one in yet another state and one former US resident now in Canada; I think only two of them post here.) I can only think of four female roadgeeks, all of whom post here and only two that I have met. And one of the females is lesbian, so she gets counted in both categories.
I know at least triple that number of gay roadgeeks. And no, there will NOT be a thread about this.

hbelkins

Maybe I know more than six but am unaware of their orientation. Which is as it should be. Makes no difference to me. I did refrain from naming them.

Only female roadgeeks I know or am aware of are Laura, Taralyn, Kim and the one who calls herself "Central Avenue."

mgk920

I believe that I could get a fairly strong show of hands with 'autistic/aspergers' roadgeeks, too.

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: hbelkins on February 17, 2012, 08:08:25 PM
Maybe I know more than six but am unaware of their orientation. Which is as it should be. Makes no difference to me. I did refrain from naming them.

Only female roadgeeks I know or am aware of are Laura, Taralyn, Kim and the one who calls herself "Central Avenue."

Whatever happened to Erin from Niles, MI?

Mike

NE2

Quote from: mgk920 on February 17, 2012, 09:09:50 PM
I believe that I could get a fairly strong show of hands with 'autistic/aspergers' roadgeeks, too.
That's not fair. You can do that anywhere on the internet.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on February 17, 2012, 09:30:06 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 17, 2012, 09:09:50 PM
That's not fair. You can do that anywhere on the internet.
Wikipedia rates its editors based on the autism spectrum. You can't get in the door without having issues.

vtk

I wasn't trying to start a head count or anything. (I know from experience moderators tend to frowwn on that for some reason.)  But on the subject of finding a roadgeek to date, it seems gay male roadgeeks have an advantage over straight males – though I'm not sure 10:1 isn't an exaggeration.  Straight girl roadgeeks would have it fairly easy, as long as they don't fall for a gay guy... *

Does sexual orientation matter in roadgeeking? Of course not.  Neither does gender, really, which is why this discussion is on the Off Topic board.  It would be nice if these things weren't such big deals in other parts of society.

*Not everyone is constrained by dichotomous labels.  Yea for ambiguity!
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.