News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Does anyone know for sure what tends to cause this?  Last time I drove through the light, it was still flickering like that, and I should probably report it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SignBridge

I've seen that flickering once or twice also; don't know what causes it. Like many supposed cure-alls, LED traffic lights created a new set of problems, such as snow accumulating on the lenses, due to the lack of heat. We think we're so friggin' smart; bet they didn't think of that ahead of time........

Mark68

Quote from: SignBridge on November 22, 2012, 04:32:51 PM
You can add Colorado and Wisconsin to that list also. And that photo certainly does make the case.

In Colorado, it's somewhat sporadic outside of Denver Metro & Fort Collins/Loveland. Newer lights (I'd say since the early 90s) in Colorado Springs seem to have them on the far right poles, and, from what I've seen, Pueblo and Grand Junction are starting to add them to their newest lights. In rural areas, it seems to be hit-or-miss, with the poles getting them on most of the newer ones.

Denver and Aurora seem to be religious in that they add pole-mounted lights on both the right and left (with left-turn signals on the left-pole ones where appropriate), and have done so for quite some time (30 years? in Aurora, much longer in Denver).
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

SignBridge

Yes, I remember travelling thru the south suburbs of Denver several years ago and noting they used more signal heads than California does even. Especially in the Highlands Ranch/Lone Tree area. One over every lane and one on the far right and left poles. Very interesting!

SidS1045

Quote from: kphoger on December 11, 2012, 02:27:26 PM
Does anyone know for sure what tends to cause this?  Last time I drove through the light, it was still flickering like that, and I should probably report it.

I'd bet it's a failing power supply.  The ones they use for LED traffic signals are very cheap and tend to generate a lot of radio noise, particularly in the AM band.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

thenetwork

Quote from: Mark68 on December 17, 2012, 02:07:08 AM
You can add Colorado and Wisconsin to that list also. And that photo certainly does make the case.

In Colorado, it's somewhat sporadic outside of Denver Metro & Fort Collins/Loveland. Newer lights (I'd say since the early 90s) in Colorado Springs seem to have them on the far right poles, and, from what I've seen, Pueblo and Grand Junction are starting to add them to their newest lights. In rural areas, it seems to be hit-or-miss, with the poles getting them on most of the newer ones.

Denver and Aurora seem to be religious in that they add pole-mounted lights on both the right and left (with left-turn signals on the left-pole ones where appropriate), and have done so for quite some time (30 years? in Aurora, much longer in Denver).

About 95% of the traffic lights in Grand Junction have side/pole-mounted lights at said intersections.

And Denver has been doing it for decade because many secondary-road intersections still only have a single 4-way overhead light in the intersection (and ugly ones at that  :eyebrow:).

The High Plains Traveler

The standard city of Pueblo design, similar to CDOT, has had side and mast arm lights for long before I've lived here (10 years). Many of the signal installations, from the condition of their paint, I would estimate to be over 20 years old. About the only signals that don't have the pole-mounted light are the rare spanwire lights, which are mostly still found at pedestrian crossings.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

roadman65

Hey I was wondering about the sided mounted signals in Philadelphia.  I know we just talked about Colorado, but the talk of side mounted signal heads made me think of an interesting situation along Ben Franklin Parkway.

I was in Philadelphia last June and noticed that along the Ben Franklin Parkway that ALL signals on this particular roadway are side mounted where some of the crossroads do have the standard overhead signals.

I was reading about the Parkway's history how it was designed different from the Philadelphia street grid as all streets are either N-S or E-W where the Ben Franklin Parkway runs NW - SE.  It is also in a straight line from the City Hall to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and offers great views at both ends of the two gorgeous buildings.

I am to assume that having the signal heads on the side has to do with the views of the buildings at each end?  Although, having normal signal head assemblies will not block the view of the Art Museum's stairs that grace the NW end of the road.  Also, the City Hall tower is very tall to be seen above all the signals as well.  Most signal heads are even new, from what I have seen, which would warrant it to be of latest standards, so it must be for a specific reason.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

I wouldn't be surprised - this is the city which features the curse of Billy Penn!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Billy_Penn
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

iwishiwascanadian

The side-mounted signals aren't just common to the Ben Franklin Parkway, they're everywhere in North Philadelphia around Temple's campus with the exceptions of Ridge, Girard and Broad.  Most of the streets are really narrow so having overhead mounted lights are overkill. 

roadman65

Quote from: iwishiwascanadian on December 18, 2012, 08:13:11 PM
The side-mounted signals aren't just common to the Ben Franklin Parkway, they're everywhere in North Philadelphia around Temple's campus with the exceptions of Ridge, Girard and Broad.  Most of the streets are really narrow so having overhead mounted lights are overkill. 
Ben Franklin Parkway is one of the widest streets in Philly other than Roosevelt Boulevard.  So width is not an issue here.  Also, at BFP and Arch Street, Arch has mast arms while BFP has side mounted all newer signals.

I know about some streets where the wider main drag has mast arms and the side street has side mounted especially along Broad Street.  Some parts of NJ and even a few places in Florida have them that way.   California is big on them at three way intersections where the low mounted signals can be directly in front of a motorist on the terminating street.  Also, San Francisco is  mostly side mounted and is rare for the typical California mast arm to be seen anywhere in that city.

Growing up in New Jersey I was always fascinated with  the side mounted signals and sort of miss them as they are extremely rare here in Florida.  Wisconsin, I am saddened to see, the side mounted along with the one overhead trombone mounted horizontal heads are being replaced with standard vertical and mono tube mast arms.  As much as I like all types of signals, I thought that was the Dairy State's signature having the horizontal overheads with side mounted at all there signalized intersections.

After reading about the Ben Franklin Parkway in Wikipedia, I kind of get the feel that it is done on purpose for effect.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 18, 2012, 07:27:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised - this is the city which features the curse of Billy Penn!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Billy_Penn
I don't think I've heard about that curse since the Phillies won in '08!

jeffandnicole

Here's an oddity near me...two county roads in Woodbury, NJ: Red Bank Ave at Evergreen Ave. 

http://goo.gl/maps/A1Myd

There's a separate right turn area here, with it's own horizontial traffic light; the only signal head in the entire county that's horizontial that I am aware of. 

And the question is...why? When the light is red, it's simply a red ball (not a right red arrow). And there's no 'No Turn On Red' sign here.  So there's really no reason whatsoever for the additional traffic light.  On the opposite side of the roadway, the same right turn setup exists without the additional light. It simply has a 'Yield' sign, which is the much more prudent option for a right turn channel as this one.

The intersection is otherwise a standard 4 way intersection with a traffic light that simply has 2 phases - no advanced left turn arrows; no one-sided phases. 

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 19, 2012, 10:10:06 AM
Here's an oddity near me...two county roads in Woodbury, NJ: Red Bank Ave at Evergreen Ave. 

There's a separate right turn area here, with it's own horizontial traffic light; the only signal head in the entire county that's horizontial that I am aware of. 

And the question is...why? When the light is red, it's simply a red ball (not a right red arrow). And there's no 'No Turn On Red' sign here.  So there's really no reason whatsoever for the additional traffic light.  On the opposite side of the roadway, the same right turn setup exists without the additional light. It simply has a 'Yield' sign, which is the much more prudent option for a right turn channel as this one.

The intersection is otherwise a standard 4 way intersection with a traffic light that simply has 2 phases - no advanced left turn arrows; no one-sided phases. 

New Jersey is known for mixing and matching.  Probably it had a standard vertical signal assembly there, but it either failed inspection or got struck by a car or something.  The only parts that were available was a trombone mast arm, and it does the job.  True, being that right turns on red are allowed, it should have a yield sign and no signals.  That is an oddity.

I have seen the reverse, in Plainfield, NJ along West Front Street where three signal heads were horizontally mounted and the fourth one was vertical on a truss arm.  Plainfield back in the 80's had all horizontal traffic lights within its city limits just like Newark used to have as well.  I am not aware if Plainfield still uses horizontal mounts exclusively anymore, as Newark is switching to vertical as that city always liked the horizontal trombone assmemblies and I thought would never go vertical.  Anyway, being Plainfield liked at the time to have its way, it had to be that a typical New Jersey vertical signal was only available for imediate replacement for whatever reason it had to remove the original pole.

Sheryl Crowe

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman65 on December 18, 2012, 07:15:02 PMI was in Philadelphia last June and noticed that along the Ben Franklin Parkway that ALL signals on this particular roadway are side mounted where some of the crossroads do have the standard overhead signals.

I was reading about the Parkway's history how it was designed different from the Philadelphia street grid as all streets are either N-S or E-W where the Ben Franklin Parkway runs NW - SE.  It is also in a straight line from the City Hall to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and offers great views at both ends of the two gorgeous buildings.

I am to assume that having the signal heads on the side has to do with the views of the buildings at each end?  Although, having normal signal head assemblies will not block the view of the Art Museum's stairs that grace the NW end of the road.  Also, the City Hall tower is very tall to be seen above all the signals as well.  Most signal heads are even new, from what I have seen, which would warrant it to be of latest standards, so it must be for a specific reason.
The side-mounted signals along the BFP, despite its width were likely chosen for aesthetic reasons.   IIRC, the Parkway's recent upgrades were a joint effort between the Philadelphia Streets Department and the Center City District; the latter group's responsible for the retro-styled street lamps that grace along a fair amount of major streets in Center City.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

theline

Quote from: roadman65 on December 19, 2012, 02:49:31 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 19, 2012, 10:10:06 AM

New Jersey is known for mixing and matching.  Probably it had a standard vertical signal assembly there, but it either failed inspection or got struck by a car or something.  The only parts that were available was a trombone mast arm, and it does the job.  True, being that right turns on red are allowed, it should have a yield sign and no signals.  That is an oddity.

I have seen the reverse, in Plainfield, NJ along West Front Street where three signal heads were horizontally mounted and the fourth one was vertical on a truss arm.  Plainfield back in the 80's had all horizontal traffic lights within its city limits just like Newark used to have as well.  I am not aware if Plainfield still uses horizontal mounts exclusively anymore, as Newark is switching to vertical as that city always liked the horizontal trombone assmemblies and I thought would never go vertical.  Anyway, being Plainfield liked at the time to have its way, it had to be that a typical New Jersey vertical signal was only available for imediate replacement for whatever reason it had to remove the original pole.

I presume the light is there because of the crosswalk. If a pedestrian has pushed the button, we want to make sure drivers stop for him. A yield sign might not do the job. I've seen similar configurations elsewhere. That doesn't explain why it's horizontal, but roadman's reasoning about that is as good as any.

Takumi

I think left turns must yield here. (Prime candidate for a FYA?)
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

roadman65

I just conducted my own study of driving across the area I live in.  I drove John Young Parkway Northbound from the Hunters Creek area to near Lockhart (OBT and JYP) and passed through 36 signalized intersections.  20 of the signals were green with the other 16 of the red ones, 2 of them were 2 signal waits and one was a three light wait.

The time was Saturday from 1 PM to 2 PM.  I do not know if this is good traveling or not in an urban area just before Christmas.  Just to show you how hectic to drive the Orlando area on a major thorofare.

Sheryl Crowe

Mark68

There are some really old side-mounted signals in downtown Seattle, mostly around the Pioneer Square area. I'm guessing from the 40s?

I've also seen them in downtown Decatur, AL.

Mark68

Quote from: thenetwork on December 18, 2012, 02:10:27 PM

About 95% of the traffic lights in Grand Junction have side/pole-mounted lights at said intersections.

And Denver has been doing it for decade because many secondary-road intersections still only have a single 4-way overhead light in the intersection (and ugly ones at that  :eyebrow:).

Those used to be a lot more prevalent on all streets, but I hardly see them on major streets now, except for the ones along Stapleton Rd (the I-70 frontage roads) at Dahlia, Holly, & Monaco. And on the SPUI on Evans over Santa Fe.

tradephoric

Quote from: roadman65 on December 22, 2012, 02:01:37 PM
I just conducted my own study of driving across the area I live in.  I drove John Young Parkway Northbound from the Hunters Creek area to near Lockhart (OBT and JYP) and passed through 36 signalized intersections.  20 of the signals were green with the other 16 of the red ones, 2 of them were 2 signal waits and one was a three light wait.

The time was Saturday from 1 PM to 2 PM.  I do not know if this is good traveling or not in an urban area just before Christmas.  Just to show you how hectic to drive the Orlando area on a major thorofare.

Drove down Dixie/Telegraph in Metro Detroit on Sunday afternoon...  twenty miles passing thru 42 traffic signals and came to basically one hard stop (first signal after turning onto Telegraph) and a few soft stops.

The signals along the boulevard section of Telegraph are running 80 second cycles so if you do happened to get stopped you only have a 40 second wait (since they are all 2-phased signals and Telegraph gets at least 50% of the split).

WichitaRoads

Quote from: kphoger on March 17, 2012, 01:24:37 PM
Heck, who needs two?

Here is GMSV during road construction; through traffic has only a signal head, which is solid green full-time.
Wichita, KS:

There's another in Wichita, much older, at K-15 (Southeast Blvd) and Wassal - http://goo.gl/maps/8zzRF

ICTRds

WichitaRoads

Quote from: kphoger on December 08, 2012, 04:56:26 PM
Just last night, I saw a red light that was flickering quickly–not just pulsing in strength, but on-off-on-off-on-off, about as fast as you can say 'on-off-on-off-on-off'.  Kinda funny lookin'.
(Douglas & Woodlawn here in Wichita)

I live a few blocks from this... it was still doing it until about a week or so ago...

ICTRds

mapman1071

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on August 14, 2012, 10:23:09 PM
Friend of mine posted this on FB yesterday...

Any idea where this is at?

Looks Like a Toronto Installation

Road Hog

Texas is the only place I've noticed this. But I've seen traffic lights with what amounts to a 40-watt bulb mounted on the side that go on and off in tandem with the red lights.

What is the purpose of this? Are they supposed to enhance the visual of the red? Or are they for alerting cross traffic a green is forthcoming? Or is it a pedestrian deal?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.