News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Zeffy on December 22, 2014, 09:45:00 AM
That actually looks pretty nice, but I would recommend changing the control city on 579 to either "West Trenton" (AKA Ewing), or "Hopewell [Township]".

Something like this then? I also added some info on Cadwalader Park:

Quote from: Zeffy on December 22, 2014, 09:45:00 AM
Quote- Given the nature of New Jersey drivers, implementing yield-ahead pavement symbols is a must. Re-enforcement signs overhead and to the side would also be implemented.

Most Jersey drivers are decent in this area - it's the damn Pennsylvanian ones that completely blow through every yield without actually yielding.

Damn Pennsylvania ruining all the fun for everyone.

odditude

k, looked at the NJ SLDs to figure out what was off. my previous comments are wrong, although i was correct that at no point is NJ 29 named Sanhican Dr.

what's labeled as Sanhican Dr to the NE of the roundabout/upper left of that sign is E State St, while Sanhican Dr itself begins at NJ 29 and composes the initial southernmost part of NJ 175 (and does not touch this roundabout at all). the two most major components of the intersection are CR 579/Sullivan Way (to the N) and NJ 29 (to the NW/S), with E State St (to the SE) and Mt Vernon Ave (to the W) being the minor components.

this also means that if you were to name this, you wouldn't call it "Sanhican." it also means this mess is labeled quite incorrectly on Google Maps.

jakeroot

Quote from: odditude on December 22, 2014, 06:21:48 PM
k, looked at the NJ SLDs to figure out what was off. my previous comments are wrong, although i was correct that at no point is NJ 29 named Sanhican Dr.

what's labeled as Sanhican Dr to the NE of the roundabout/upper left of that sign is E State St, while Sanhican Dr itself begins at NJ 29 and composes the initial southernmost part of NJ 175 (and does not touch this roundabout at all). the two most major components of the intersection are CR 579/Sullivan Way (to the N) and NJ 29 (to the NW/S), with E State St (to the SE) and Mt Vernon Ave (to the W) being the minor components.

this also means that if you were to name this, you wouldn't call it "Sanhican." it also means this mess is labeled quite incorrectly on Google Maps.

According to the LGS at the present-day intersection, it's actually "West State Street", not "East...". But anyways, it appears that Sanhican is actually State, and Lasalle is actually Sanhican (according to the street blades). This confuses me, because indeed, Google Maps has this wrong. But additionally, both Bing Maps and OpenStreetMap label the streets just the same as Google. I can only assume that all three have used the same source which has incorrectly labelled the streets.

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on December 22, 2014, 02:07:39 AM
Here's an example of a sign that could be placed at the western leg:

Sign looks great! On small nitpick: roundabout diagrams usually don't show the connection between the entry stem and the circulating roadway just to the left of the entry stem--there would be a gap and an arrowhead on the end. This helps to reinforce that it is a one way circular intersection. (I'm on an iPad right now, otherwise would link to an example.)

Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadfro on December 22, 2014, 07:19:23 PM
Sign looks great! On small nitpick: roundabout diagrams usually don't show the connection between the entry stem and the circulating roadway just to the left of the entry stem--there would be a gap and an arrowhead on the end. This helps to reinforce that it is a one way circular intersection. (I'm on an iPad right now, otherwise would link to an example.)

No, I know exactly what you mean. I just forgot to remove it. I've fixed that, changed the street name (and roundabout name), and surrounded the name in black (since it's a junction). Normally I would have added an arrow to the end pointing to the entry leg, but because I have such limited space with the present style diagram, it doesn't quite work. (EDIT 19:39 EDT: Added version with thinner circle)

dfwmapper

I'm as sure as I can be without having actual city GIS data that the labeling on Google is correct. State does indeed curve northwards towards Edgewood/Bruce Park, while Sanhican is both NJ 29 west of the intersection as well as the road east that connects to State. First, the numbering of the buildings along the north side of State (like the church) is consistent with the rest of State (1400s), while the numbering along Sanhican starts with the little grocery store as 2, and increases up to 76 (the big apartment building) as you go west. The Sunoco station is 110, the office building next to it is 120, and so on. NJ 175 is also Sanhican for part of its length, changing to River Road where it leaves Trenton, near Afton Avenue. So, that sign probably needs to be changed again to Sanhican Drive - To State Street.

M3019C LPS20

These vintage, 1950s G.E. "Streamline" traffic signals are thankfully still in service in Washington Twp. in northern N.J. Great traffic signals of yesteryear.

odditude

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 22, 2014, 09:59:02 PM
I'm as sure as I can be without having actual city GIS data that the labeling on Google is correct.
Given that I actually live in the area, drive through this intersection on a weekly basis and see the sign blades, and have confirmed with the SLDs, I'm as sure as I can be that Google is wrong.

Quote from: jakeroot on December 22, 2014, 06:56:15 PM
According to the LGS at the present-day intersection, it's actually "West State Street", not "East...".
yep, typo on my part. thanks!

Zeffy

Looking at the closest thing I could find to Trenton's GIS data, I found that this is the road marked as "Sanhican Drive":

You can look for yourself by going to here and using the "internet dataviewing" link. WARNING: It ONLY works in Internet Explorer with compatibility settings enabled on the web page.

And this could help a bit, but given it's angle, I'm not sure what to make of it.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

dfwmapper

Quote from: Zeffy on December 23, 2014, 04:25:40 PM
Looking at the closest thing I could find to Trenton's GIS data, I found that this is the road marked as "Sanhican Drive":
Which agrees with Google, and what I said.
QuoteAnd this could help a bit, but given it's angle, I'm not sure what to make of it.
Also seems to agree, if you look at it from a less distorted angle. Try http://goo.gl/maps/wFMr2.

NJ's data is clearly wrong. Either that or a bunch of businesses have addresses on a street that doesn't exist. Someone should probably tell them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 24, 2014, 06:21:52 AM
QuoteAnd this could help a bit, but given it's angle, I'm not sure what to make of it.
Also seems to agree, if you look at it from a less distorted angle. Try http://goo.gl/maps/wFMr2.

NJ's data is clearly wrong. Either that or a bunch of businesses have addresses on a street that doesn't exist. Someone should probably tell them.

Do state politicians and political donors own those businesses?  They may be 'legit' after all.  They even file income taxes, showing massive amounts of losses every year!

odditude

Quote from: dfwmapper on December 24, 2014, 06:21:52 AM

welp, i stand corrected.

dfwmapper

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 24, 2014, 09:05:37 AM
Do state politicians and political donors own those businesses?  They may be 'legit' after all.  They even file income taxes, showing massive amounts of losses every year!
You should ask them at their next meeting at the Legitimate Businessman's Social Club.

6a

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on December 23, 2014, 12:51:54 AM
These vintage, 1950s G.E. "Streamline" traffic signals are thankfully still in service in Washington Twp. in northern N.J. Great traffic signals of yesteryear.

What is the purpose of the little one next to the leftmost signal?

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: 6a on December 24, 2014, 08:36:36 PM

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on December 23, 2014, 12:51:54 AM

What is the purpose of the little one next to the leftmost signal?

It serves primarily as a protected left turn signal.

The design of the G.E. "Streamline" was unique in its own way, and, therefore, it was impossible to attach an entirely different traffic signal brand to one. So, this explains why the individual traffic signal section is suspended on its own.

cl94

I found this assembly in Buffalo, New York earlier this week:

It's on Ohio Street at the lift bridge over the Buffalo River, facing southbound. Trombone arm has a horizontal-mount 8" 3-lens signal with green in the center and 2 reds and there's a 12" 2-lens signal mounted vertically on the pole. An identical setup exists in the opposite direction. At the Michigan Ave bridge shortly downstream, setup is similar, with a standard horizontal arm replacing the trombone arm. The other moveable bridge over the river (South Park Ave) and the 2 Erie Canal crossings within the city feature standard signals. All Buffalo River crossings are city-maintained.

I have never seen anything like this in New York. Judging by some photos I've seen on the forums recently, it looks like Buffalo took a couple of pages out of Wisconsin's design manual for these 2 installations.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.481012,-75.687821,3a,75y,22.09h,98.4t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHZcozhxhD0kvrGveyhr0Fg!2e0
What is this type of assembly that is commonly used in Pennsylvania called?  If you wondering what I am referring to it is the "almost" doghouse assembly for the left turn signal head here.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

I don't know that it has a name, but it appears to be a variant on the typical 4-section split phasing signal:

R
Y
G
GA

In this case, it appears an existing 3-section display was modified to include the green/green arrow (it's very Frankenstein-ish when you look closely in street view).
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cl94

I've seen that type of assembly all over the place. There are a couple near Buffalo, notably on NY 324 at I-290 facing the NB exit ramp.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

DrSmith

freebrickproductions

HDOT is currently in the process of hunting down the last inline 4-section signals that aren't FYAs and replacing them with those. I personally like to call them "upside-down T signals" because they look like a T that's upside-down.
They aren't very common in Alabama outside of Huntsville though, I only know of a couple down in Dothan.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Ian

Quote from: roadman65 on January 17, 2015, 11:41:17 AM
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.481012,-75.687821,3a,75y,22.09h,98.4t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sHZcozhxhD0kvrGveyhr0Fg!2e0
What is this type of assembly that is commonly used in Pennsylvania called?  If you wondering what I am referring to it is the "almost" doghouse assembly for the left turn signal head here.

Not sure what the official term is for that type of signal, but the signal fans like to call it a "Dolly Parton."
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: Ian on January 20, 2015, 05:15:42 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 17, 2015, 11:41:17 AM

Not sure what the official term is for that type of signal, but the signal fans like to call it a "Dolly Parton."

I concur.

KEK Inc.

Why are 8" signals used?  Is it for costs since there's less LEDs.  I have never seen 8" directional arrow signals, so it looks funky on mast-arms when you have 8" through signals and 12" left turn signals, which is a common setup in Seattle.  Since the MUTCD requires two through signals, is that why 8" signals are favored?

Speaking of MUTCD requirements for two through signals, how about a split? 

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.674827,-122.125599,3a,50.1y,96.51h,92.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shpIPEdc66efMSZ92pl6Few!2e0
Take the road less traveled.

Big John

Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 22, 2015, 03:33:03 PM
Why are 8" signals used?  Is it for costs since there's less LEDs.  I have never seen 8" directional arrow signals, so it looks funky on mast-arms when you have 8" through signals and 12" left turn signals, which is a common setup in Seattle.  Since the MUTCD requires two through signals, is that why 8" signals are favored?

Speaking of MUTCD requirements for two through signals, how about a split? 

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.674827,-122.125599,3a,50.1y,96.51h,92.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shpIPEdc66efMSZ92pl6Few!2e0

8" arrows were disallowed by MUTCD a long time ago.  The 2009 MUTCD calls for all 12" signals except for certain situations.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.