News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

I call them a T, inverted T, or hammerhead.

NJ has used them recently on rare occasions.

PColumbus73

Quote from: Big John on January 22, 2015, 03:55:27 PM
Quote from: KEK Inc. on January 22, 2015, 03:33:03 PM
Why are 8" signals used?  Is it for costs since there's less LEDs.  I have never seen 8" directional arrow signals, so it looks funky on mast-arms when you have 8" through signals and 12" left turn signals, which is a common setup in Seattle.  Since the MUTCD requires two through signals, is that why 8" signals are favored?

Speaking of MUTCD requirements for two through signals, how about a split? 

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.674827,-122.125599,3a,50.1y,96.51h,92.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shpIPEdc66efMSZ92pl6Few!2e0

8" arrows were disallowed by MUTCD a long time ago.  The 2009 MUTCD calls for all 12" signals except for certain situations.

I think 8" signals are still allowed for minor streets.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 22, 2015, 03:57:16 PM

South Carolina uses T signals exclusively for left turn signals, I've seen few in Ohio and West Virginia.

cl94

Quote from: PColumbus73 on January 22, 2015, 08:42:01 PM
Why are 8" signals used?  Is it for costs since there's less LEDs.  I have never seen 8" directional arrow signals, so it looks funky on mast-arms when you have 8" through signals and 12" left turn signals, which is a common setup in Seattle.  Since the MUTCD requires two through signals, is that why 8" signals are favored?

https://www.google.com/maps/@47.674827,-122.125599,3a,50.1y,96.51h,92.55t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1shpIPEdc66efMSZ92pl6Few!2e0

8" arrows were disallowed by MUTCD a long time ago.  The 2009 MUTCD calls for all 12" signals except for certain situations.

Hence certain situations
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jakeroot

Quote from: cl94 on January 22, 2015, 09:03:00 PM

Hence certain situations

Colloquially speaking, "certain situations" implies "on a limited basis", but minor street signals are at least as common as major street signals (depending on the locale).

Unless I'm mistaken, it's more about distance from the stop line to the signal head.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 22, 2015, 03:57:16 PM

South Carolina uses T signals exclusively for left turn signals, I've seen few in Ohio and West Virginia.
I've seen a T signal here in Huntsville, AL.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on January 22, 2015, 09:11:39 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 22, 2015, 09:03:00 PM

Hence certain situations

Colloquially speaking, "certain situations" implies "on a limited basis", but minor street signals are at least as common as major street signals (depending on the locale).

Unless I'm mistaken, it's more about distance from the stop line to the signal head.

Jakeroot, you are not mistaken. The specific exception you're referring to is for streets with speeds of 30mph or less where the circular signal indications are mounted less than 120 feet from the stop line.

New 8" circular indications for vehicular traffic are also okay for near-side supplemental signal faces, in the yellow and green sections at emergency signals, and certain situations for closely-spaced signals (where visibility limited signals are not practical).

Existing 8" signals may be retained through the end of their useful service life. I am guessing that the signals we are talking about are okay because they were existing (albeit modified). Even in that situation, 8" arrows are not allowed, hence the separate sizes for the green modification. I think it would have been simpler to just put a full 12" display up, unless the support would not allow for the extra weight.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

On an approach with no through movement, whichever turning movement is the major movement on the approach will be considered the "primary" movement, and is thus required to have a minimum of two signal faces.

For this case, I assume the left turn is primary movement, as it does have two signal heads.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SignBridge

Someone mentioned 8-inch arrow lenses. The very first arrows I ever saw as a kid back in the late 1950's were 8-inch. I don't think 12-inch lenses existed yet. Around the mid-1960's, I started seeing 12-inch used for arrows only. And some years later, probably the 1970's for circular lights.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: SignBridge on January 23, 2015, 08:14:25 PM
Someone mentioned 8-inch arrow lenses. The very first arrows I ever saw as a kid back in the late 1950's were 8-inch. I don't think 12-inch lenses existed yet. Around the mid-1960's, I started seeing 12-inch used for arrows only. And some years later, probably the 1970's for circular lights.

Some signal manufacturers first offered 12" indications in the 1950s decade, such as Crouse-Hinds and Eagle.

roadman65

Will NYC switch as most of their signal heads are 8-8-8?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Only as they need to replace signal heads that don't meet the 8" criteria. Existing installs can remain until the end of useful service life.

Big John

And NYC speed limits are low enough in most places to allow new 8" signals.

cl94

Saw this odd assembly earlier today. Basically a cross between a doghouse and an inverted T. Red and arrow lenses are 12", others are 8". The single arrow lens is color-changing. Tonawanda has quite a bit of interesting signals and signage (square I-290, anyone?), but this is even strange by their standards.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: roadman65 on January 24, 2015, 04:33:23 PM
Will NYC switch as most of their signal heads are 8-8-8?

The city's default speed limit is 25 M.P.H., so that will not happen. Certain thoroughfares, though, throughout the boroughs  received upgrades in recent years from 8" to 12" heads, due to compliance with the speed limits (above 30 in certain locations). Other locations have 8" heads that have been grandfathered.

I am rather happy, from a collector's and enthusiast's point of view, that 8" heads will still be the norm in New York City.

NYhwyfan

Quote from: cl94 on January 24, 2015, 06:35:55 PM
Saw this odd assembly earlier today. Basically a cross between a doghouse and an inverted T. Red and arrow lenses are 12", others are 8". The single arrow lens is color-changing. Tonawanda has quite a bit of interesting signals and signage (square I-290, anyone?), but this is even strange by their standards.

Those replaced signal heads like this one further down Brighton Road:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.990958,-78.840224,3a,24.5y,308.72h,88.73t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sS5zSCrq6Ni6-OFWMA9XyYg!2e0
Instead of a dual 12" yellow and 12" green arrow section Tonawanda placed one 12" section with a bi-modal green-yellow arrow.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Zeffy

So what's the rationale between using arrows and using solid balls? Just a choice?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

riiga

Arrow = only applies to the direction the arrow is pointing.

thenetwork

@ Zeffy:

One scenario -- when no turns are allowed at the intersection.

PHLBOS

Quote from: thenetwork on January 30, 2015, 10:43:16 AM
@ Zeffy:

Plus the example Zeffy posted is located in Massachusetts; that arrangement & assembly been has around since the early 70s... years before Right turn on Red was became the legal default condition in the Bay State as well as the practice of having separate signal heads for turning lanes.

Back then, it was not uncommon to have a situation/scenario where both the red ball and one of the green arrows (be it upright, horizontal or angled) would be lit on a 4-signal head.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: PHLBOS on January 30, 2015, 01:31:32 PM
@ Zeffy:

Plus the example Zeffy posted is located in Massachusetts; that arrangement & assembly been has around since the early 70s... years before Right turn on Red was became the legal default condition in the Bay State as well as the practice of having separate signal heads for turning lanes.

Back then, it was not uncommon to have a situation/scenario where both the red ball and one of the green arrows (be it upright, horizontal or angled) would be lit on a 4-signal head.

Still is, in Chicago, even with RTOR.

MUTCD?  We don't need no stinking MUTCD.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jakeroot

Quote from: Brandon on January 30, 2015, 02:14:26 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on January 30, 2015, 01:31:32 PM
@ Zeffy:

Still is, in Chicago, even with RTOR.

MUTCD?  We don't need no stinking MUTCD.

Isn't that just a poor-man's 5-section tower? I see that style of signal all the time where I live.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.