News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TEG24601

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 27, 2015, 09:06:11 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on February 15, 2015, 01:11:59 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on February 15, 2015, 10:52:12 AM
This sort of thing just popped up near me.  One of my co-workers brought it to my attention because he was pulled over for moving through the intersection as though it was a protected right turn, and the cop said that because it was a red light, he still needed to stop.  This can't be right, can it?.  From what I can tell is is a replacement for those lights that added a 4th light for a protected right turn, which would turn into a green ball when all traffic was allowed to go, or am I reading it wrong?

Sounds like BS.  Would the cop pull someone over for going through a green arrow at a doghouse that also had circular red lit?  The signal showed green right arrow; if problems like that persist they may need to change the signals.
In this day and age where most drivers have cell phones w/built-in cameras (even old-school cheap flip-types have such), had your (TEG24601) co-worker indeed been cited for such; a quick pic of the signal showing the green arrow & red light lit together would be enough evidence to legally challenge the citation in court.
Which is exactly what I told him.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jakeroot

Quote from: TEG24601 on February 28, 2015, 04:07:00 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on February 27, 2015, 09:06:11 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on February 15, 2015, 01:11:59 PM
Quote from: TEG24601 on February 15, 2015, 10:52:12 AM
This sort of thing just popped up near me.  One of my co-workers brought it to my attention because he was pulled over for moving through the intersection as though it was a protected right turn, and the cop said that because it was a red light, he still needed to stop.  This can't be right, can it?.  From what I can tell is is a replacement for those lights that added a 4th light for a protected right turn, which would turn into a green ball when all traffic was allowed to go, or am I reading it wrong?

Sounds like BS.  Would the cop pull someone over for going through a green arrow at a doghouse that also had circular red lit?  The signal showed green right arrow; if problems like that persist they may need to change the signals.

In this day and age where most drivers have cell phones w/built-in cameras (even old-school cheap flip-types have such), had your (TEG24601) co-worker indeed been cited for such; a quick pic of the signal showing the green arrow & red light lit together would be enough evidence to legally challenge the citation in court.

Which is exactly what I told him.

Did the cop take note of the arrow being lit green at the time of the turn?

kj3400

http://goo.gl/maps/n4gnK

'No Movement on Red'. Well, there's something new.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

M3019C LPS20

A rare close-up of a suspended, 1st generation Ruleta head. From New York City. 1926.

This traffic signal had angled-signal sections, because it was located at a skewed intersection.

M3019C LPS20

5th Av. G.E. "bronze signal" in Manhattan, N.Y. Unknown year.

M3019C LPS20

E. 34th St. and Queens-Midtown Tunnel exit Marbelite cluster. Manhattan, N.Y. 1985.

Its original partner attached to a late 1950s truss-arm setup.

riiga

Typical Swedish traffic lights on larger roads

Lower section

Pedestrian signal

Bike signal

PHLBOS

Quote from: riiga on March 27, 2015, 03:40:01 PM
Typical Swedish traffic lights on larger roads
Love the old-school-looking green arrow.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

I pass through this intersection near Tacoma, Washington quite a few times during the week (typically 10-20 times) and every time I drive through, I think about ways to improve the intersection. Here's what's up:

Nyanza Road meets Gravelly Lake Drive at what is basically a right angle. Gravelly makes a sweeping turn through the intersection, and slip lanes round off the edges:

The problem that I have with the intersection is that as you drive along Gravelly Lake approaching Nyanza from the left of the image, the sharp bend hides the wire-hung protected-only left turn signal, but there is a signal repeater on the NW signal mast. So you can see from a distance whether or not the light is green, but not if the turn signal is.

To fix this, could the signal repeater feasibly be something like this?

Revive 755

^ You would need to mount two separate three-section heads to stay in compliance with the MUTCD rather than having one large six-section head.

NYhwyfan

George Urban Blvd/French Rd - Cheektowaga, NY - old 9x12 pedestrian signal heads

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.918657,-78.713627,3a,75y,127.6h,75.3t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1st7W36vfNHRHwajP1gchcoA!2e0

Payne Ave - North Tonawana, NY - 9x12 peds mounted with 8" signals on span wire

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.03999,-78.873583,3a,75y,4.53h,82.44t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sYkplHiP6jpeDfb1eTHRk5w!2e0

jakeroot

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 31, 2015, 05:25:08 PM
^ You would need to mount two separate three-section heads to stay in compliance with the MUTCD rather than having one large six-section head.

Cocking nora.

PHLBOS

Quote from: NYhwyfan on March 31, 2015, 06:32:10 PMPayne Ave - North Tonawana, NY - 9x12 peds mounted with 8" signals on span wire
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.03999,-78.873583,3a,75y,4.53h,82.44t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sYkplHiP6jpeDfb1eTHRk5w!2e0
Overhead pedestrain signals; that's certainly different.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadfro

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 01, 2015, 09:15:05 AM
Quote from: NYhwyfan on March 31, 2015, 06:32:10 PMPayne Ave - North Tonawana, NY - 9x12 peds mounted with 8" signals on span wire
Overhead pedestrain signals; that's certainly different.

Never seen anything like that... Don't think that ever would have been MUTCD acceptable.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

M3019C LPS20

In the Bronx in New York, on E. Fordham Rd., some old Marbelite "flat top" traffic signals remain. They likely date back to 1954.

From Google Maps.

One at the corner of Hoffman St.

A second one on Bathgate Av.

Each one still uses a plumbizer, which is rare in New York City nowadays.

The "flat top" heads there are few and far between, so see them while they last.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: jakeroot on March 31, 2015, 03:36:02 PM
I pass through this intersection near Tacoma, Washington quite a few times during the week (typically 10-20 times) and every time I drive through, I think about ways to improve the intersection. Here's what's up:

Nyanza Road meets Gravelly Lake Drive at what is basically a right angle. Gravelly makes a sweeping turn through the intersection, and slip lanes round off the edges:

The problem that I have with the intersection is that as you drive along Gravelly Lake approaching Nyanza from the left of the image, the sharp bend hides the wire-hung protected-only left turn signal, but there is a signal repeater on the NW signal mast. So you can see from a distance whether or not the light is green, but not if the turn signal is.

To fix this, could the signal repeater feasibly be something like this?

I believe the MUTCD only requires thru traffic to have a repeater for blind corners.  You're going to have to slow down anyways for a left turn. 
Take the road less traveled.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/17107337121/in/photostream/
Here is one that is missing all but one visor.

Also it has two red signals, similar to Texas and North Carolina for left turn signals.  I believe, that LADOTD has either a written or non written rule for having drawbridge signals with double reds.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman65 on April 11, 2015, 05:04:25 PM
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/17107337121/in/photostream/
Here is one that is missing all but one visor.

Also it has two red signals, similar to Texas and North Carolina for left turn signals.  I believe, that LADOTD has either a written or non written rule for having drawbridge signals with double reds.

Reminds me of the New Orleans CBD. Tons of signals without visors, and plenty with some on, some off.

jakeroot

Pierce County just recently installed a new diagonal span-wire signal near South Hill, Washington. I find it amusing because, back in 2000, Pierce County celebrated the replacement of the last diagonal span-wire signal, only to then install a new one 15 years later. They replaced the signals because they were hard to see. They've mitigated this by placing far-side ground-mounted signals for the sides of the intersection that are closer to their respective signals (thus the sides with the most neck-craning).

freebrickproductions

Huntsville only has one diagonal span-wire intersection with actual traffic lights on it left.
We still do have some intersections with diagonal spans that hold up beacons though, such as this one.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

6a

I wish I had a picture of the old diagonal span at W. Broad and Georgesville/Phillipi Rds. here. There were probably a dozen or more signals on this thing, it was fantastic.

cl94

Quote from: 6a on April 30, 2015, 06:00:34 PM
I wish I had a picture of the old diagonal span at W. Broad and Georgesville/Phillipi Rds. here. There were probably a dozen or more signals on this thing, it was fantastic.

New York installed stuff like that until pretty recently (they may still do so, but all NYSDOT intersections I've seen in the past 3-4 years out here are mast arms). A bunch of recently-installed (as in late summer 2014) county assemblies in Amherst do actually have 12 signals (8 3-section and 4 4-section with color-changing arrow).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: jakeroot on April 29, 2015, 04:56:42 PM
Pierce County just recently installed a new diagonal span-wire signal near South Hill, Washington. I find it amusing because, back in 2000, Pierce County celebrated the replacement of the last diagonal span-wire signal, only to then install a new one 15 years later. They replaced the signals because they were hard to see. They've mitigated this by placing far-side ground-mounted signals for the sides of the intersection that are closer to their respective signals (thus the sides with the most neck-craning).

That's a first. A bottom bracket on two individual traffic signals. I wouldn't even consider that as a cluster without the top bracket!

:-|

jakeroot

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on May 01, 2015, 01:08:53 AM
That's a first. A bottom bracket on two individual traffic signals. I wouldn't even consider that as a cluster without the top bracket!

"Pierce County" and "first" don't usually go together. If I understand what you're saying, the bracket is usually on top instead of the bottom? It did look a bit funny. Though I think it makes sense, since if wind started blowing them around, they risk blowing in front of each other. With the bracket, they'll at least swing together.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.