News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Quote from: jakeroot on May 01, 2015, 01:47:26 AM
Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on May 01, 2015, 01:08:53 AM
That's a first. A bottom bracket on two individual traffic signals. I wouldn't even consider that as a cluster without the top bracket!

"Pierce County" and "first" don't usually go together. If I understand what you're saying, the bracket is usually on top instead of the bottom? It did look a bit funny. Though I think it makes sense, since if wind started blowing them around, they risk blowing in front of each other. With the bracket, they'll at least swing together.

It also prevents the other signals from hitting each other in heavy winds. NYSDOT used to do something similar whenever they installed lane signs on their installs to prevent the signs from hitting the signals. Here's one that used to be (since replaced) at the intersection of US 9 and NY 119 in Tarrytown...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cl94

Quote from: Ian on May 01, 2015, 10:09:05 AM
That's a first. A bottom bracket on two individual traffic signals. I wouldn't even consider that as a cluster without the top bracket!

"Pierce County" and "first" don't usually go together. If I understand what you're saying, the bracket is usually on top instead of the bottom? It did look a bit funny. Though I think it makes sense, since if wind started blowing them around, they risk blowing in front of each other. With the bracket, they'll at least swing together.

It also prevents the other signals from hitting each other in heavy winds. NYSDOT used to do something similar whenever they installed lane signs on their installs to prevent the signs from hitting the signals. Here's one that used to be (since replaced) at the intersection of US 9 and NY 119 in Tarrytown...

New York span wire installs, whether they be NYSDOT or otherwise, typically connect closely-placed signals at the top and/or bottom, and have for some time.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TrevorB

Southaven, MS

Goodman Road at Elmore Road/Greenbrook Parkway (soon to be replaced as MDOT adds mast arms along Goodman Road):

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.962748,-89.980445,3a,47.2y,76.56h,97.88t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9U09Gh7-4q82t0Np1xtZrg!2e0

Ian

Quote from: cl94 on May 01, 2015, 11:20:49 AM
Quote from: Ian on May 01, 2015, 10:09:05 AM

New York span wire installs, whether they be NYSDOT or otherwise, typically connect closely-placed signals at the top and/or bottom, and have for some time.

Yes, I'm aware. But I'm talking about the lane signs, and how they're connected to the signals via that bottom bar you see in the photo. I've seen it on a good handful of intersections in the state, but a lot have been replaced since after, they started using tether wire to hold everything in place.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

signalman

Quote from: Ian on May 03, 2015, 12:05:00 PM
Yes, I'm aware. But I'm talking about the lane signs, and how they're connected to the signals via that bottom bar you see in the photo. I've seen it on a good handful of intersections in the state, but a lot have been replaced since after, they started using tether wire to hold everything in place.
Region 2 loves to use tether wires; as observed yesterday on the Utica meet road tour.

M3019C LPS20

A new setup in Rosedale, Queens, N.Y. The setup is actuated, so pedestrian push buttons are present.

jakeroot

Those are new? They look very old (to the uneducated, that is).

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2015, 01:17:24 AM

Yes. Everything I believe has been installed by NYCDOT over a week ago.

jakeroot

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on May 18, 2015, 01:54:02 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 18, 2015, 01:17:24 AM

Yes. Everything I believe has been installed by NYCDOT over a week ago.

Does the crosswalk have a countdown?

M3019C LPS20

No.

Standard Leotek hand and man inserts are in use. Depending on each borough's preference, NYCDOT continues to install them at intersections along with countdown units.

roadman65

A signal in New Orleans, LA that is missing some visors.  Notice that the overhead signal facing the right is missing its red light visor while the side mount facing the right has its red signal visor, but instead is missing its yellow and green signal visors.

Also to note in addition to this particular installation using double guys, it is also common for New Orleans using tunnel visors while the rest of LA uses cutout visors.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

^^ And a one way street where no vehicular traffic is facing the signals with the missing visors.

jakeroot

Last time I was in New Orleans, a lot of the signals in the CBD were missing visors.

roadman65

Quote from: Big John on May 23, 2015, 04:28:00 PM
^^ And a one way street where no vehicular traffic is facing the signals with the missing visors.
No.  To the left is one way up river with traffic flowing to the right, as Magazine Street (among many) follow the course of the Mississippi River so they all form the shape of a crescent.

To the right its two way traffic and not featured in the photo is another street that takes the through traffic heading downriver along Magazine Street.  It is located on the left cut off by the photo.

So to the right is traffic coming into the intersection.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

A trolley track signal with Pennsylvania Railroad inspired positional lines instead of the traditional three color signals.

Today's photo update.  Photo taken 10/24/13 under US 90 Business on St. Charles Avenue.

Sheryl Crowe

steviep24

steviep24

M3019C LPS20

That seems common throughout a lot of areas of New York. Normally, there are at least two traffic signals that control one left turn lane elsewhere.

cl94

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on May 30, 2015, 04:12:17 PM
That seems common throughout a lot of areas of New York. Normally, there are at least two traffic signals that control one left turn lane elsewhere.

You think so? In most of the New York installations I've seen, whether they be NYSDOT or county, there's one per lane at a minimum for a protected turn movement.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Well here's something you don't see every day...
1st pic: 2 red lights.
2nd pic: 2 green lights.
3rd pic: 2 Burned out yellow lights!! 
The first yellow went out about 2 week ago. The 2nd yellow burned out a few days ago.

Zeffy

I believe those are Trenton's jurisdiction and not the state's because West State Street is only within the city correct? Unfortunately, a lot of things seem to be broken (or breaking) in Trenton with regards to traffic signals. I'm fairly certain I know of a few broken detectors within the city, because they used to trigger and now they don't.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

SignBridge

Re: the above post about 2 left-turn lanes with only one protected signal-head, that is common in Long Island, New York as well. Surprisingly, the MUTCD does not require a second head if there are two protected left-turn lanes unless the left turn is the predominant traffic movement.

And I agree that many other states do have a second head for most protected left-turns with either one or two lanes. California and Colorado come to mind.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: cl94 on May 30, 2015, 04:46:13 PM

You think so? In most of the New York installations I've seen, whether they be NYSDOT or county, there's one per lane at a minimum for a protected turn movement.

Yes. Consider NYC as an example.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on May 30, 2015, 06:14:16 PM
I believe those are Trenton's jurisdiction and not the state's because West State Street is only within the city correct? Unfortunately, a lot of things seem to be broken (or breaking) in Trenton with regards to traffic signals. I'm fairly certain I know of a few broken detectors within the city, because they used to trigger and now they don't.

I believe all Trenton jurisdiction lights are fixed timed. There are even a few newer ones with attached optical sensors that are still timed. The one you mentioned previously that had an issue is a DRJTBC light, and I've never had any issues with that intersection myself. 

steviep24

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on May 30, 2015, 08:43:28 PM
Quote from: cl94 on May 30, 2015, 04:46:13 PM

Yes. Consider NYC as an example.
NYSDOT usually has two protected left turn signal heads when there are dual left turn lanes and has been doing it that way for years. In the examples I posted earlier I think the contractor cheaped out. Those signals are not even that old.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.