News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Found this temporary one in DC during a construction project on Mass. Ave.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.899903,-77.015244,3a,75y,158.43h,98.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw2vamRgSu-4hUBp44dwDIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Unusual to see a span wire installation in our Nation's Capital.  Considering they're used to side mounted signaling, you would figure that they would continue using their norm as that is just as simple as running a wire if not simpler.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

wisvishr0

Quote from: roadman65 on June 12, 2015, 07:49:59 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.899903,-77.015244,3a,75y,158.43h,98.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sw2vamRgSu-4hUBp44dwDIQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Unusual to see a span wire installation in our Nation's Capital.  Considering they're used to side mounted signaling, you would figure that they would continue using their norm as that is just as simple as running a wire if not simpler.

Hi! Washingtonian here.

That's interesting... you're right in that DC prefers to use side mounts, and that they *do* tend to use span wire during construction.

Here's my thinking: If you look at the poles they use at normal intersections, they tend to be pretty heavy, bulky and permanent. Most intersections have these types of poles:

There are (at least) two criteria that a temporary signal mount has to accomplish:

1) It's temporary (i.e. portable).
2) It's compatible with the signal (that is, you have to be able to attach the signal to the mount easily).

The normal poles DC uses aren't very temporary: they're heavy, steel beams that have to be secured in place by a huge block of concrete, and have to be buried in the ground. We'd then have to rule out the normal gray poles DC uses.

Alternatively, they could use a wooden side-pole that's temporary (like the poles that are used to hold up the span wire in your link above). The issue is, you can't use the normal method of mounting the signal to the pole (by using one of those gray arm things in my photo above), because the arm things aren't compatible with the wooden pole. You'd need to design a new arm to attach the signal to the pole. So a temporary wooden pole side mount wouldn't be compatible with the signal.

The easier option would be to use span wire, which is portable and readily available in Maryland *and* Virginia, both of which use span wire for temporary installations. Also, all traffic signals can be attached to the span wire fairly easily without having to use a different mount. Temporary, portable, available and compatible.

I have no idea if that makes sense, but that's my guess.

roadfro

Quote from: roadman65 on June 12, 2015, 07:49:59 PM

For that particular installation, it's much simpler to use the span wire. Side mounts typically mean one signal on far left and far right, which would mean a temporary pole on 4 corners and longer wire runs. This setup uses only 3 temporary poles, and all the wire runs to both signal heads controlling a direction are right next to each other overhead--this makes it much easier to install and remove.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

Quote from: wisvishr0 on June 13, 2015, 12:42:35 AM
Hi! Washingtonian here.

In New England, if you say you are a Washingtonian, do people assume DC? Because out west, a "Washingtonian" is someone from the state of Washington.

wisvishr0

Quote from: jakeroot on June 13, 2015, 02:26:46 AM
Hi! Washingtonian here.

In New England, if you say you are a Washingtonian, do people assume DC? Because out west, a "Washingtonian" is someone from the state of Washington.

Hi! Washingtonian here.

I don't know if people recognize it in New England, but "Washingtonian" is the demonym for those of us from DC (we even have a local publication called "Washingtonian Magazine.")

I know those from Washington State are also called Washingtonians, but I didn't think it would be ambiguous given the context. We are, after all, talking about DC.

Maybe to limit any confusion, we should change the names to reflect the river that flows through it, as they do in the UK. DC could be "Washington-upon-Potomac" and Washington State could be "Washington-upon-Cascade." In that case, I'd be a "Washington-upon-Potomackian."

I like it. ;)

jakeroot

Quote from: wisvishr0 on June 13, 2015, 02:36:50 AM
Hi! Washingtonian here.

I don't know if people recognize it in New England, but "Washingtonian" is the demonym for those of us from DC (we even have a local publication called "Washingtonian Magazine.")

I know those from Washington State are also called Washingtonians, but I didn't think it would be ambiguous given the context. We are, after all, talking about DC.

Maybe to limit any confusion, we should change the names to reflect the river that flows through it, as they do in the UK. DC could be "Washington-upon-Potomac" and Washington State could be "Washington-upon-Cascade." In that case, I'd be a "Washington-upon-Potomackian."

I like it. ;)

Lol, that might be a bit longwinded. I think we should just stick to using both and letting the listener figure it out via context. I just brought it up because I hadn't thought much about it before, not necessarily because I was confused (though it did catch me off guard).

kj3400

I just say they're from DC. A lot simpler.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

SignGeek101

Hi! Washingtonian here.

Any palm / plant enthusiasts like myself also know the Latin name for a Mexican Fan Pan is called the Washingtonia Robusta and the Washingtonia filifera for the Desert Fan Palm, both found in California.

Sorry to get off topic a little bit, but I had to bring it up.

freebrickproductions

Bought this 12 inch LFE signal today:
My 12 inch LFE Traffic Light by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

on_wisconsin

The first doghouse style stop lights in Wisconsin where recently installed by the City of Eau Claire. Here are some photos I took:

Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 02, 2015, 09:42:38 AM

(Yes, they where taken with a phone, sorry there not the best.)

As long as there is a full backplate used, as seen above, doghouse stop lights could grow on me.
They also have FYA's too.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Alex4897

Quote from: on_wisconsin on July 03, 2015, 01:14:22 AM
The first doghouse style stop lights in Wisconsin where recently installed by the City of Eau Claire. Here are some photos I took:

[snip]

As long as there is a full backplate used, as seen above, doghouse stop lights could grow on me.
Hold up, the doghouse in that second picture is displaying a yellow arrow in the bottom left aspect.  Can you explain the phasing?
👉😎👉

TEG24601

Quote from: Alex4897 on July 03, 2015, 10:31:22 AM

[snip]

Hold up, the doghouse in that second picture is displaying a yellow arrow in the bottom left aspect.  Can you explain the phasing?

It looks like it has the flashing Yellow for "Yield", which converts to a Green when the turn is protected.  I just saw one of these in Washington, and found it odd.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

freebrickproductions

Saw this along US 280 in the Birmingham, AL area:
Odd Siemens Traffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Bruce

Two from Everett, WA. Firstly, an unusual gantry:

Hewitt & Colby by SounderBruce, on Flickr

And secondly, a continuous green light at a seagull intersection:

Continuous green light in Everett by SounderBruce, on Flickr

DaBigE

Quote from: TEG24601 on July 03, 2015, 11:04:07 AM
Quote from: Alex4897 on July 03, 2015, 10:31:22 AM

[snip]

It looks like it has the flashing Yellow for "Yield", which converts to a Green when the turn is protected.  I just saw one of these in Washington, and found it odd.

I doubt the FYA in the Eau Claire photos is bimodal. My guess is the left turn is permissive-only throughout the cycle, since there is no dedicated left turn lane on the doghouse approaches. I haven't been able to find any specific verbiage, but it may be an un-written WisDOT policy not to allow/use them. (Although, yes, local municipalities could experiment, but they generally stick within WisDOT design parameters).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

TEG24601

Quote from: Bruce on July 03, 2015, 10:01:59 PM
Two from Everett, WA. Firstly, an unusual gantry:

Hewitt & Colby by SounderBruce, on Flickr

And secondly, a continuous green light at a seagull intersection:

Continuous green light in Everett by SounderBruce, on Flickr

I love the unique gantries that Everett comes up with.  The single span ones in South Everett along Evergreen Way and Everett Mall Way are awesome.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

roadfro

What I'm confused about is that the 5-section doghouse display is overhead, but the far left post-mounted vertical displays use only 4 sections... That does not make sense.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

DaBigE

Quote from: roadfro on July 04, 2015, 02:34:41 PM

What I'm confused about is that the 5-section doghouse display is overhead, but the far left post-mounted vertical displays use only 4 sections... That does not make sense.

That would blow my permissive-only phasing theory out of the water. Maybe Eau Claire is experimenting with a bimodal signal indication :hmmm:

Maybe those approaches operate in split-phasing part of the day? The lack of a dedicated left-turn lane throws a monkey-wrench into things.

Looking at a before reconstruction GSV image doesn't really shed any light either. I really wish Eau Claire wasn't a 2.5-hour drive away. :banghead:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

M3019C LPS20

The doghouse with the FYA setup on the left side uses a bi-modal section on the bottom. After the initial protected left turn movement ends, the amber arrow then flashes for the remainder of the phase.

Finally, the top section then illuminates amber (arrow).

The video below (from Monte) provides further insight on what I mentioned above...

thenetwork

My question is if a FYA is really needed in a doghouse assembly?  Just the doghouse itself has meant that left turns are only protected during the green arrow phase.

jeffandnicole

Technically, a solid green has always meant you can turn left when safe to do so. Why we need a flashing yellow arrow in the first place always baffled me.

This weekend, here in Jersey, I watched a car with Texas plate refuse to turn left on a green ball at one intersection. I guess she wanted a yellow flashing arrow. Based on the lack of cross traffic which wouldn't cause the light to cycle and the unusual lineup of cars behind her, she was probably waiting there a long time.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 05, 2015, 11:41:42 AM
Why we need a flashing yellow arrow in the first place always baffled me.

Yellow trap, plus left turns can go when oncoming traffic has a protected left turn, so theoretically there's a higher vehicle through-put.

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: thenetwork on July 05, 2015, 10:44:25 AM
My question is if a FYA is really needed in a doghouse assembly?  Just the doghouse itself has meant that left turns are only protected during the green arrow phase.

It may be cheaper to install than either a four-section or three-section FYA unit. Just my two cents.

mrsman

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 03, 2015, 12:23:20 PM
Saw this along US 280 in the Birmingham, AL area:
Odd Siemens Traffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I've never understood these or the green arrow only signals.  Yes, there probably is a left turn arrow that is controlled by a light RYG or doghouse, but in my opinion, this type of signal is a waste of electricity.

mrsman

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on July 05, 2015, 03:53:37 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on July 05, 2015, 10:44:25 AM

It may be cheaper to install than either a four-section or three-section FYA unit. Just my two cents.

This is especially true if converting from a regular protected/permissive doghouse setup to a FYA.  The doghouses are already installed, so it's naturally cheaper.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.