News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 02, 2015, 05:23:25 PM
There's a newly reconfigured traffic signal at the intersection of US 1 and CR 546/Bakers Basin Rd. in Lawrence Twp., NJ where the pedestrian countdown signals start the countdown (parallel to US 1) but at 0, the walk symbol returns for a few seconds and starts the countdown again. The countdown happens about three times before the US 1 signals actually change to yellow and the Bakers Basin traffic can proceed thereafter.

It's personally annoying for me since 100% of the time I'm on Bakers Basin/546, I'm on my bike and I use the time before the signals change to clip out, lower my glasses so they don't get fogged up, etc. When the cross street goes yellow, that's when I start my sequence to get ready to pedal hard across there. Is there some kind of actual statement that bans this in the MUTCD or any other official document that I can cite before sending the report out to DOT? I don't want to make this solely a convenience report to them. (not that it actually matters since they never respond even when I include my email and and I've stated before, one problem remained unfixed until I wrote my state legislator)

It could be that the signal is set to automatic recall of the pedestrian phase, or on a "rest in walk" setting. If that happens, then the pedestrian walk phase is automatically activated and is allowed to cycle. Then if there is no conflicting traffic on the side street that would cause the main street to turn red, then the signal controller automatically restarts the walk sequence–this repeats until a conflicting call for service terminates the main street green.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: roadfro on August 08, 2015, 02:36:35 PM
It could be that the signal is set to automatic recall of the pedestrian phase, or on a "rest in walk" setting. If that happens, then the pedestrian walk phase is automatically activated and is allowed to cycle. Then if there is no conflicting traffic on the side street that would cause the main street to turn red, then the signal controller automatically restarts the walk sequence–this repeats until a conflicting call for service terminates the main street green.

In this particular case, all three lanes heading west had a car in it (and I believe eastbound too) so some sensor should have tripped. Again, it's just a personal tic of mine and I have thus far not received any response to my submission nor do I expect any action from NJDOT on it the next time I go through there (winds came from the east today and will be from the north tomorrow so no Pennington/Pennsylvania/Central Sourlands rides).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadfro on August 08, 2015, 02:36:35 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on August 02, 2015, 05:23:25 PM
There's a newly reconfigured traffic signal at the intersection of US 1 and CR 546/Bakers Basin Rd. in Lawrence Twp., NJ where the pedestrian countdown signals start the countdown (parallel to US 1) but at 0, the walk symbol returns for a few seconds and starts the countdown again. The countdown happens about three times before the US 1 signals actually change to yellow and the Bakers Basin traffic can proceed thereafter.

It's personally annoying for me since 100% of the time I'm on Bakers Basin/546, I'm on my bike and I use the time before the signals change to clip out, lower my glasses so they don't get fogged up, etc. When the cross street goes yellow, that's when I start my sequence to get ready to pedal hard across there. Is there some kind of actual statement that bans this in the MUTCD or any other official document that I can cite before sending the report out to DOT? I don't want to make this solely a convenience report to them. (not that it actually matters since they never respond even when I include my email and and I've stated before, one problem remained unfixed until I wrote my state legislator)

This particular intersection on US 1 is notable as the only at-grade intersection between the PA/NJ state line & the Princeton area. Bakers Basin Rd was recently widened at the intersection, and an elongated jug handle combined with a roundabout was recently installed. The chances of no traffic on the side road here during the day is nil to none. It's extremely busy here, and unfortunate they couldn't make it grade separated as they have done at numerous nearby intersections.

Alex

The picture of a mast arm signal over an urban prairie is worth seeing.

Traffic light on road to nowhere found in middle of urban wasteland in Russia

QuoteInstalling traffic lights where no car could ever pass seem like a weird idea? Well, that's what a Russian government spending watchdog discovered in the city of Yaroslavl. Pictures of the find have quickly brewed up a storm of online scorn and ridicule.
Despite appearing to be perfectly useless, the warning beacon seems to, nevertheless, work without a hitch.

Quote"In fact there is traffic in that area, but a small one,"  Nikolay Stepanov, head of the Yaroslavl municipal services agency said. "Though the asphalt road hasn't been built, car owners managed to make a kind of country road leading to their houses. That's why the traffic light is necessary for this crossroad."

Pictures of the site however make it hard to believe there is a necessity for traffic regulation in the area. It would take a vivid imagination to even picture an intersection near the traffic lights.

cl94

Quote from: Alex on August 12, 2015, 11:18:26 AM

QuoteInstalling traffic lights where no car could ever pass seem like a weird idea? Well, that's what a Russian government spending watchdog discovered in the city of Yaroslavl. Pictures of the find have quickly brewed up a storm of online scorn and ridicule.
Despite appearing to be perfectly useless, the warning beacon seems to, nevertheless, work without a hitch.

Quote"In fact there is traffic in that area, but a small one,"  Nikolay Stepanov, head of the Yaroslavl municipal services agency said. "Though the asphalt road hasn't been built, car owners managed to make a kind of country road leading to their houses. That's why the traffic light is necessary for this crossroad."

Pictures of the site however make it hard to believe there is a necessity for traffic regulation in the area. It would take a vivid imagination to even picture an intersection near the traffic lights.

In Soviet Russia, lights are installed BEFORE intersections.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cl94 on August 12, 2015, 11:22:36 AM

QuoteInstalling traffic lights where no car could ever pass seem like a weird idea? Well, that’s what a Russian government spending watchdog discovered in the city of Yaroslavl. Pictures of the find have quickly brewed up a storm of online scorn and ridicule.

Quote“In fact there is traffic in that area, but a small one,” Nikolay Stepanov, head of the Yaroslavl municipal services agency said. “Though the asphalt road hasn’t been built, car owners managed to make a kind of country road leading to their houses. That’s why the traffic light is necessary for this crossroad.”

Redflex Traffic Systems is trying desperately to put red light cameras there. 

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 12, 2015, 01:39:12 PM
Quote from: cl94 on August 12, 2015, 11:22:36 AM

QuoteInstalling traffic lights where no car could ever pass seem like a weird idea? Well, that’s what a Russian government spending watchdog discovered in the city of Yaroslavl. Pictures of the find have quickly brewed up a storm of online scorn and ridicule.

Quote“In fact there is traffic in that area, but a small one,” Nikolay Stepanov, head of the Yaroslavl municipal services agency said. “Though the asphalt road hasn’t been built, car owners managed to make a kind of country road leading to their houses. That’s why the traffic light is necessary for this crossroad.”

Redflex Traffic Systems is trying desperately to put red light cameras there. 

And bribing the officials so they can do so.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

M3019C LPS20

E. 50th St. and 5th Av. Manhattan, N.Y. Easter, 1959.

roadman65

Inspired to see GSV in the Rockaways from another thread, I encountered this.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Far+Rockaway,+Queens,+NY/@40.583625,-73.816004,3a,66.8y,69.97h,84.86t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sp2uHc3ecQ5c9SRcAsICiOQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c268aaff36802d:0x18a125e4487aa688

Why is NYDOT using wooden poles to replace the old signals along the beachfront road?  Most of all I see the standard NYC traffic light pole at the following intersection.

Also another question, will anyone tell NYC that those controllers that operate the signals are out of date?  Look and you will see these new lights still use the small old style signal control boxes mounted on the signal poles.  Heck even PA is starting to use ground mounted cabinets, why is NYC so behind in technology?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: roadman65 on September 07, 2015, 03:46:59 PMWhy is NYDOT using wooden poles to replace the old signals along the beachfront road?  Most of all I see the standard NYC traffic light pole at the following intersection.

According to Google Map, the street view image is from February of 2013. Shortly after super-storm Sandy struck the Rockaways. What you see at the intersection was merely temporary.

Quote from: roadman65 on September 07, 2015, 03:46:59 PM
Also another question, will anyone tell NYC that those controllers that operate the signals are out of date?  Look and you will see these new lights still use the small old style signal control boxes mounted on the signal poles.  Heck even PA is starting to use ground mounted cabinets, why is NYC so behind in technology?

Just as a FYI, NYCDOT is up to date in traffic control technology. The cabinet in the picture from Google Map was manufactured by Peek and designed exclusively for the city of New York. It complies with NYCDOT specifications and houses Peek's NYC ASTC (Advanced Intersection Control Cabinet) solid-state unit. Available as a 6, 8, or 12 load switch assembly.

Everything's compact, which proves ideal, due to the limited space on New York City streets. An average-sized NEMA cabinet wouldn't help alleviate the issue.

In the late 1990s, NYCDOT first experimented with the ASTC unit in Manhattan, and it proved to be beneficial. It led to the official decision to convert all of the city's mechanical units to computerized units in the early 2000s. Since then, over 6000 Peek ASTC units have been installed throughout the boroughs. Although NYCDOT is still in the conversion process, not many mechanical units remain in service. The anticipated goal for the folks is to have all intersections controlled by computerized controllers by the beginning of the next decade.

roadman65

How did you get the date?   Lately my Google images have been just saying New York and not even borough name anymore.  Being that you got that info, it must be that there is something I must of clicked on accidentally or an improved program that allows you to hide certain things.

I miss the photo dates and areas the photos are in, and would like it back. 

Sheryl Crowe

M3019C LPS20

I'm not sure how you could access that feature, but, for me, when I look at street view, a small black box appears to the top left of my screen.

It shows the location, intersection, and date the Google vehicle drove through the area.

roadfro

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on September 07, 2015, 05:35:01 PM

Just as a FYI, NYCDOT is up to date in traffic control technology. The cabinet in the picture from Google Map was manufactured by Peek and designed exclusively for the city of New York. It complies with NYCDOT specifications and houses Peek's NYC ASTC (Advanced Intersection Control Cabinet) solid-state unit. Available as a 6, 8, or 12 load switch assembly.

Everything's compact, which proves ideal, due to the limited space on New York City streets. An average-sized NEMA cabinet wouldn't help alleviate the issue.

Also stands to reason that there are financial considerations at play. If most existing signals have a controller box mounted on the pole, and you can upgrade the controller without replacing the cabinet (or can replace the existing cabinet with a new pole-mounted cabinet that holds the necessary equipment), why spend the money to install a brand new standard NEMA cabinet on the sidewalk? Installing a new cabinet would involve making sure there are no utilities in the way, excavation and possible trenching, rerouting existing signal wires, rerouting the power supply, et cetera, not to mention the potential disruptions in service or having to string up temporary wires. It would be a lot of work (and money) for little benefit, especially if you can make the necessary replacement and still get the modern computerized controller technology.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

jakeroot

An ancient array of signals in Sumner, Washington (here); probably one of the oldest signals still in operation not in Seattle city limits. Based on the visor type (and color fade), the central signal-head came first followed by the repeaters on the NW/SE sides.

Here's a closeup of the original signal:

steviep24

Quote from: roadfro on September 07, 2015, 07:09:55 PM
Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on September 07, 2015, 05:35:01 PM

Also stands to reason that there are financial considerations at play. If most existing signals have a controller box mounted on the pole, and you can upgrade the controller without replacing the cabinet (or can replace the existing cabinet with a new pole-mounted cabinet that holds the necessary equipment), why spend the money to install a brand new standard NEMA cabinet on the sidewalk? Installing a new cabinet would involve making sure there are no utilities in the way, excavation and possible trenching, rerouting existing signal wires, rerouting the power supply, et cetera, not to mention the potential disruptions in service or having to string up temporary wires. It would be a lot of work (and money) for little benefit, especially if you can make the necessary replacement and still get the modern computerized controller technology.
NYSDOT still uses pole mounted signal controller cabinets mainly for their span wire installations but not as often as in the past.

signalman

Inspired to see GSV in the Rockaways from another thread, I encountered this.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Far+Rockaway,+Queens,+NY/@40.583625,-73.816004,3a,66.8y,69.97h,84.86t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sp2uHc3ecQ5c9SRcAsICiOQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c268aaff36802d:0x18a125e4487aa688

Why is NYDOT using wooden poles to replace the old signals along the beachfront road?  Most of all I see the standard NYC traffic light pole at the following intersection.
Like M3019C LPS20 said, it was likely damaged during Superstorm Sandy.  If you move ahead a bit from the link that you provided, you can see the installation before the storm.  Also, if you look at the intersection from the Cross Bay Parkway approach (side street), you can see the temporary installation still under construction (image from January 2013).

roadman65

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on September 07, 2015, 05:48:02 PM
I'm not sure how you could access that feature, but, for me, when I look at street view, a small black box appears to the top left of my screen.

It shows the location, intersection, and date the Google vehicle drove through the area.
Interesting.  Mine used to show it, but has not in a few weeks.  However, someone else did start the thread Google Maps F****n Sucks Now, so I assumed this was one of those instances.

Now come to think of it, the boardwalk is gone in the photo, and it does look like a disaster area.  I thought maybe it was a windy day or something, but now I remember when I was there in 03 how nice that road looked.

As far as signal controllers go, come to think of it also the rest of NYS has them on the poles as well.  I even noticed them in Michigan in some areas.  I just assumed that was the new way being that even PennDOT gave them up for sidewalk mounts and the fact big cities here in Florida and even LA in California have them on the sidewalks, I just assumed that it was because of the times.  Even in some areas in Michigan on GSV I can see independent boxes for signals.

Wow, though, Sandy was really bad.  I mean I heard about Seaside Heights, NJ and the subways in NYC getting flooded out and stuff, but until you see a picture of the devastation it really does not hit you.  Its a shame that the media only focused on the Jersey shore, and not here in New York, as the roller coaster in the ocean got the attention.

Sheryl Crowe

steviep24

busman_49

Quote from: mrsman on July 05, 2015, 04:42:25 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 03, 2015, 12:23:20 PM
Saw this along US 280 in the Birmingham, AL area:
Odd Siemens Traffic Lights by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

I've never understood these or the green arrow only signals.  Yes, there probably is a left turn arrow that is controlled by a light RYG or doghouse, but in my opinion, this type of signal is a waste of electricity.

This way, there's no doubt that through traffic can keep moving.  Probably easier that trying to figure out how to explain it on a sign because, invariably, someone would stop if the left turn signal was red and no other signals were present...

Maybe "THRU TRAFFIC KEEP MOVING" but I dunno...

jakeroot

Quote from: busman_49 on September 09, 2015, 11:55:18 AM
Quote from: mrsman on July 05, 2015, 04:42:25 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 03, 2015, 12:23:20 PM
Saw this along US 280 in the Birmingham, AL area:

I've never understood these or the green arrow only signals.  Yes, there probably is a left turn arrow that is controlled by a light RYG or doghouse, but in my opinion, this type of signal is a waste of electricity.

This way, there's no doubt that through traffic can keep moving.  Probably easier that trying to figure out how to explain it on a sign because, invariably, someone would stop if the left turn signal was red and no other signals were present...

Maybe "THRU TRAFFIC KEEP MOVING" but I dunno...

The best non-signalized solution would probably be to separate adjacent turn lanes by a hard median.

SignGeek101

What about this? How common are these?

https://goo.gl/maps/5XVT1

The light is green of course right now.

jakeroot

Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 09, 2015, 07:06:19 PM

This is the standard setup in both BC and Alberta. I do like that Canada has standardized this and inserted a nice fire engine symbol. Helps get the point across nicely.

As for the US, I don't believe a two-head setup is used anywhere. Also, instead of the symbol, our signs generally read "Emergency Signal" or something of the like, though there are signs approaching the fire house that have a fire engine symbol.

thenetwork

Quote from: jakeroot on September 09, 2015, 07:10:34 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on September 09, 2015, 07:06:19 PM

This is the standard setup in both BC and Alberta. I do like that Canada has standardized this and inserted a nice fire engine symbol. Helps get the point across nicely.

As for the US, I don't believe a two-head setup is used anywhere. Also, instead of the symbol, our signs generally read "Emergency Signal" or something of the like, though there are signs approaching the fire house that have a fire engine symbol.

There were a few fire station outlets in NE OH in the 80s I saw that had a 2 head installation -- top head would only flash red when activated. The bottom head was a flashing yellow with the word CAUTION on the lens.  The latter would always be on except for emergencies.

The same area also had single-head red signals positioned over each lane and would flash red when activated.   

busman_49

Quote from: jakeroot on September 09, 2015, 07:02:57 PM
The best non-signalized solution would probably be to separate adjacent turn lanes by a hard median.

Never thought of that!

Regarding fire signals, mostly what I've seen are 3-section signals with the bottom light a flashing yellow; when the light is activated, it would go solid yellow, then red.  Less common (that I've seen) are standard RYG signals that rest in green until needed.  I remember when I was really young and first saw one of those flashing yellow fire signals, it blew my mind because I never saw anything like it.

roadman65

I remember New Jersey would have non working signals with two sections and in some areas a neon FIRE STOP would illuminate when the signal is activated.   I have never seen one in operation so I cannot tell you if it turns yellow then to red or does it just flash red like a railroad grade crossing signal. 

The last time I checked on GSV, the Colonia, NJ firehouse still had it on Inman Avenue just east of the Garden State Parkway.  However, NJ was the only place I seen them used as other places I have been use 3 section signals like normal operating signals.

Also for those of you who remember the Fire Signal on US 202 in Raritan, NJ before the Somerville Circle flyover was built that was removed when it was constructed and never installed since, could you please tell me why that signal was used considering that there was no median break at the signal?  It would only make sense if there was two completely different fire stations on both sides of US 202 that needed to access one side or the other.  However, I doubt that one, but if the station was on one side of the highway would it not need a crossover in the median, nor would it not need a full signal as only the near side would need to stop for the engine as it could only right out of the side street there.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.