News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mdcastle

Two different Eagleluxes in Minneapolis, long fin and short fins.

(Repost) Deactivated installation on old Route 6 in Wilton, IA. There are 4 way setups on kittycorner stretches of the intersection. The heads (Eagle "Durasigs) were made no earlier than the early 1970s, and these look to be newer, so they were replaced well after I-80 was built.

Old GE 4-way in Cleveland, TN. GE sold their traffic signal business to Econolite in the 1950s

M3019C LPS20

A Ruleta suspended from a classic "wheelie" set-up. Brooklyn, New York. 1963. Courtesy of Brooklyn Historical Archives.

M3019C LPS20

My 16" Winko-Matic model VI 2L AG pedestrian signal. To keep up with the New York City motif, I decided to repaint it. Its original color was dark hunter green, and it saw service somewhere in New York state. The color that I used for this pedestrian signal was Caterpillar Yellow, and it is the closest to the original shade of yellow that was used in New York City. The city was introduced to the VI 2L AG in the early 1980s. I remember it well (before the L.E.D. conversion).

Billy F 1988

Holy crap that thing's huge! Most pedestrian signals aren't this big in Missoula! They're big up close, but nothing like this hunker. What are the approximate dimensions of this? It certainly looks like half the size of a 64" big screen LCD TV.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on April 17, 2013, 01:11:43 AM
Holy crap that thing's huge! Most pedestrian signals aren't this big in Missoula! They're big up close, but nothing like this hunker. What are the approximate dimensions of this? It certainly looks like half the size of a 64" big screen LCD TV.

It is actually a 16" pedestrian signal. 16" by 16". It is not too large. Yes, it appears small from a driver's point of view; however, it appears rather big in appearance up-close, of course.

New York City has been using 16" pedestrian signals for years, and there are several signal equipment companies that manufacture them. Winko-Matic used to manufacture neon pedestrian signals, and at least two models were in use in the city. One of them (first generation) was rather bulky, not to mention heavy. It was like a monster. Below, is an example. From 1955.

I sometimes wonder how people handled them when they installed these pedestrian signals.

KEK Inc.

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 14, 2013, 11:37:05 AM
But on Va. 120 (North Glebe Road) at Carlin Springs Road these 12-8-8's will apparently be there for a while yet:

Northbound Va. 120:

Eastbound Carlin Springs Road:

EDIT: Added hyperlink.

Those streetlights look very Chinese.  I have never seen any LED streetlights like those on the west coast.
Take the road less traveled.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: KEK Inc. on April 18, 2013, 04:39:00 AM
Those streetlights look very Chinese.  I have never seen any LED streetlights like those on the west coast.

They are LEDs.  I've seen them in Arlington County, Va. and at least one place in the District of Columbia (on northbound D.C. 295 north of Pennsylvania Avenue, S.E.).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

Are U turns exempt from waiting for the left turn signals at such intersections in many areas?  Lately, I see many motorists making u turns without waiting for the green arrows to appear in the area I live in Florida.

One such motorist gave me a scare, when I seen his vehicle make a u turn the same way I was heading when I made a RTOR at a local intersection.  I caught an object out of my side view, which was his car just feet away from mine.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2013, 10:06:27 AM
Are U turns exempt from waiting for the left turn signals at such intersections in many areas?  Lately, I see many motorists making u turns without waiting for the green arrows to appear in the area I live in Florida.

rules are the same as for left turns.  if there isn't a red arrow, then it is a permissive turn and he may make it as long as he yields to oncoming traffic.

QuoteOne such motorist gave me a scare, when I seen his vehicle make a u turn the same way I was heading when I made a RTOR at a local intersection.  I caught an object out of my side view, which was his car just feet away from mine.

in that situation, unless you had a green right arrow, he had right of way.  he has to yield to oncoming traffic, but not traffic which has a red light.  traffic at the red light has to yield to all traffic before making a right turn.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Compulov

http://goo.gl/maps/bdbLY

I'm posting this here because I've always found this particular signal to be neat. The mast that it's on doesn't reach the center of the intersection (even if you don't factor in the offset double-yellow, of course) and it just looks old(er?). I wonder if maybe 413 was narrower at one point, and they widened the road, but reused the same mast. The side mounted lights look like they were added much later on, too. There's lots of old (probably 70s or older vintage) masts in and around Levittown (especially on US-13), though I think they're going away now that they're going to be doing construction on 13.

roadman65

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 22, 2013, 10:27:10 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 22, 2013, 10:06:27 AM

rules are the same as for left turns.  if there isn't a red arrow, then it is a permissive turn and he may make it as long as he yields to oncoming traffic.

QuoteOne such motorist gave me a scare, when I seen his vehicle make a u turn the same way I was heading when I made a RTOR at a local intersection.  I caught an object out of my side view, which was his car just feet away from mine.

in that situation, unless you had a green right arrow, he had right of way.  he has to yield to oncoming traffic, but not traffic which has a red light.  traffic at the red light has to yield to all traffic before making a right turn.
If the rules are the same for u turns as left turns then he would be in the wrong.  Who when making a RTOR, expects someone to be making a u turn.  Usually you look left.

Plus, he broke the law and not I.  RTOR is legal over running a red light which is 100 percent illegal! I know that u turns are required to yield to right turns when a green arrow takes place, but that is when the light is green or permissive.  Even if a person in my situation got cited for an accident, still the other driver can also be cited for failing to obey a traffic control device.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman65 on April 23, 2013, 02:00:27 PMWho when making a RTOR, expects someone to be making a u turn.
people who know how to drive.

QuoteUsually you look left.
and straight.  oncoming traffic making a left turn may have the protected arrow.  and right, because u-turning traffic may have the right of way - permissive or protected.

and behind you because generally you look at your surroundings

I don't want to share the road with unobservant kinds that think "who expects traffic from a less than common direction?" and blow off the idea wholesale?

QuoteRTOR is legal over running a red light which is 100 percent illegal!
you mean to say someone ran a red to make the U-turn?  I thought "without waiting for the green arrows to appear" meant that their direction of travel had a green ball.

I doubt anyone's starting to run red lights systematically. 

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Me mum often complains about people making U-turns on red. I guess it's a common thing in this area. (And frankly, compared to some things people do, it's not a very dangerous maneuver.)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Compulov

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 23, 2013, 02:13:42 PM
and straight.  oncoming traffic making a left turn may have the protected arrow.  and right, because u-turning traffic may have the right of way - permissive or protected.

I've been noticing a number of intersections with protected lefts that are either full-time no turn on red or have one of those light up part time no turn on red signs. I'm assuming that's to avoid the situation entirely.

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on April 23, 2013, 02:19:22 PM
Me mum often complains about people making U-turns on red. I guess it's a common thing in this area. (And frankly, compared to some things people do, it's not a very dangerous maneuver.)

if you can go from the innermost lane to the innermost lane, without actually intersecting the path of traffic perpendicular to you (most likely you're on a bicycle in this situation), then go for it. 

otherwise, it's fairly dangerous still, and I wouldn't recommend it.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Compulov on April 23, 2013, 03:26:48 PM
I've been noticing a number of intersections with protected lefts that are either full-time no turn on red or have one of those light up part time no turn on red signs. I'm assuming that's to avoid the situation entirely.

here I thought that the protected left, with a red arrow when there isn't a green arrow, are because generally there isn't enough visibility to be able to make a permitted left.

as for the "no turn" light-up signs, I've seen those mainly when there is a rail line, or for a completely different use, when there is heavy pedestrian traffic walking parallel to the green ball.

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 23, 2013, 04:51:44 PM
as for the "no turn" light-up signs, I've seen those mainly when there is a rail line, or for a completely different use, when there is heavy pedestrian traffic walking parallel to the green ball.
Unfortunately they're also used for hours-long turn restrictions in DC. So you could sit there expecting it to change.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Quote from: NE2 on April 23, 2013, 05:07:15 PM
Unfortunately they're also used for hours-long turn restrictions in DC. So you could sit there expecting it to change.

DC put some of those up in part because of tourists relying blindly on sat-navs who'd sit there all day waiting to turn left. The light-up signs are a big improvement over the older stupid metal signs with small print listing the restricted times (invariably positioned on the far corner where it was hard to see/read).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 23, 2013, 05:25:54 PM
DC put some of those up in part because of tourists relying blindly on sat-navs who'd sit there all day waiting to turn left.
So they'll do it anyway if they're familiar with the ones that turn off after a few minutes.

Compulov

There are several of them on the Newtown Bypass. There's one in particular at the Lindenhurst Road intersection which I can't figure out. It's only ever active when the light is red. So, if you can't make a right turn whenever the light is red, then why bother having the light up sign? The intersection already has a green right arrow, so if you can safely make a right whenever you have a green ball or a green arrow, the NTOR being lit up is redundant. Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just put a fixed NTOR sign there? One possibility I haven't considered is whether they don't light it up after a certain hour. I very rarely drive up that way really late or really early.

kphoger

They seriously have to put up signs to tell people not to turn left on a red light?  Ay ay ay...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

signalman

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2013, 06:08:30 PM

They seriously have to put up signs to tell people not to turn left on a red light?  Ay ay ay...
No, I think he's refering to no right turn from the side street.

kphoger

Quote from: signalman on April 23, 2013, 06:16:16 PM

OK, thanks, that makes a lot more sense now.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

signalman

Quote from: kphoger on April 23, 2013, 06:17:29 PM
Quote from: signalman on April 23, 2013, 06:16:16 PM

OK, thanks, that makes a lot more sense now.
Glad to help, and I sincerely hope that's where he was going with his point. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.