News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on April 29, 2022, 11:53:00 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on March 30, 2022, 12:01:52 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on March 29, 2022, 10:31:31 AM
Read this morning about a potential idea of decommissioning more Indiana state highways, this time in Johnson County.

https://dailyjournal.net/2022/03/29/county-considers-indot-agreement-for-smith-valley-road-project/

The idea would decommission SR 44 from the Morgan County line east to the junction with SR 144 west of Franklin (with the part from there east to I-65 already decommissioned several years back.) Also, the remaining part of SR 144 in Johnson County from SR 135 in Bargersville to Franklin would be relinquished. And finally SR 252 from SR 135 in Trafalgar to US 31 in Edinburgh would be relinquished.

All of this would help fund the widening of Smith Valley Road from the interchange with I-69 east to Morgantown Road, which isn't that long of a stretch of road. If they were to do this I'd might want Smith Valley to be widened all the way to SR 135 at least. The SR 144 and 252 decommissioning I could live with, but that SR 44 one might be weird starting right at the county line. It would make the already ridiculous gap in the way seem more strange, might as well get rid of the rest of the road west to I-69.

But none of this is agreed upon yet, it's just an idea that INDOT is floating around with Johnson County.

144 should be completely removed. and if they do this just kill that whole portion of 44 from 69 to 144.

https://dailyjournal.net/2022/04/29/road-relinquishment-proposal-dead-for-now/

And it's apparently dead (for now)...
That's good.

silverback1065

i get the feeling that if indot could have its way it would only maintain interstates and the freeway portions of us highways  :-D

RoadWarrior56

As somebody who started his career at the old Indiana State Highway Commission (predecessor name to INDOT), the post above this one applied when I was there in the late 1970's and early 1980's - relinquish as many roads as possible.

NWI_Irish96

As a roadgeek it's frustrating to see so many routes get split in two or disappear altogether.

From a practical standpoint, if this is what's necessary to keep the major roads up to date and in good condition, then it's worth it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Life in Paradise

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2022, 08:05:12 AM
As a roadgeek it's frustrating to see so many routes get split in two or disappear altogether.

From a practical standpoint, if this is what's necessary to keep the major roads up to date and in good condition, then it's worth it.
The problem is that in almost every case the relinquished road remains, and someone has to maintain it.  In Indianapolis, all state/US highways were turned over to the city/county within I-465 and they are having a terrible time trying to keep up with the maintenance.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Life in Paradise on May 03, 2022, 12:58:12 PM

The problem is that in almost every case the relinquished road remains, and someone has to maintain it.  In Indianapolis, all state/US highways were turned over to the city/county within I-465 and they are having a terrible time trying to keep up with the maintenance.

Indy might be an exception. That was an awful lot of mileage to turn over to the city/county. At a minimum, it would have been nice for INDOT to keep 31 and 40.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2022, 01:20:40 PM

Indy might be an exception. That was an awful lot of mileage to turn over to the city/county. At a minimum, it would have been nice for INDOT to keep 31 and 40.
I agree that Indy went too far.  It would have still been nice to say that two US highways went street level into the downtown center of the state capitol rather than up on elevated  interstate freeways.

dvferyance

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 03, 2022, 01:20:40 PM

I agree and I also don't like these split routes either like Hwy 26 in Lafyette and Hwy 44 in Franklin. At least sign the route through town so it's not split up.

Great Lakes Roads

https://cbs4indy.com/news/indot-to-add-an-extra-lane-to-i-70-between-mount-comfort-and-greenfield/

It's about time that the stretch of I-70 between Mt. Comfort and Greenfield gets expanded to three lanes each way.

Once this project gets done, another section of I-70 east of Indy (between IN State Road 1 and the Ohio state line) will be widened to three lanes each way. 

monty

Interesting approach by INDOT on SR 32 from Westfield to Noblesville: INDOT is coming to you with a blank slate for the SR 32 corridor and wants your feedback! We will be presenting existing data that shows what problems we're seeing, but nothing beats first hand knowledge from the community. Please come and share what you're seeing along the corridor and what is important to you for the future of SR 32!
monty

silverback1065

Quote from: monty on May 06, 2022, 10:56:03 PM
Interesting approach by INDOT on SR 32 from Westfield to Noblesville: INDOT is coming to you with a blank slate for the SR 32 corridor and wants your feedback! We will be presenting existing data that shows what problems we're seeing, but nothing beats first hand knowledge from the community. Please come and share what you're seeing along the corridor and what is important to you for the future of SR 32!

Widen to 5 lanes, 2 lanes in each direction with room for a 5 turn lane, maybe not the 2 way type but just wide enough for turns. sidewalks on both sides too. have LA R/W to prevent any more new signals and drive cuts.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on May 07, 2022, 10:57:52 AM

Widen to 5 lanes, 2 lanes in each direction with room for a 5 turn lane, maybe not the 2 way type but just wide enough for turns. sidewalks on both sides too. have LA R/W to prevent any more new signals and drive cuts.

That's going to require taking a lot of houses, but to be honest if I lived in one of those, I'd be happy to have a guaranteed buyer and to get out of that mess.

nwi_navigator_1181

Concrete restoration and bridge deck overlay projects will take place throughout various portions of I-65 and I-80/94 for the next two construction seasons. The areas to look out for most prominently will be the Ridge Road and 35th Avenue overpasses on I-65 (which could result in bottlenecks for traffic exiting to/entering from I-80/94), as well as I-80/94 between Cline Avenue and the Illinois State Line.

Plenty of action set to begin (or already underway) on the surface streets as well.

US 6 is down to one lane in each direction between Willowcreek Road and Indiana 149 in the Portage/South Haven areas. The outer lanes are currently closed for sidewalk and curb repair, followed by resurfacing of those lanes. The inner lanes and center turn lane will then close for resurfacing. All work is scheduled to be done by the end of August.

With the South Shore Line Double Track project ramping up, streets close to or crossing the tracks will be affected.

The recently-realigned stretch of US 12/20 is down to one lane from the new split to just west of Lake Street. A new station with additional parking spaces is under construction, along with new sidewalks and pavement at the Lake Street intersection. This project is scheduled to last at least through summer.

The stretch of 11th Street where trains ran on the street (from Chicago Street to Michigan Boulevard) is closed. Most streets will be allowed to cross 11th Street (including Franklin Street, but not Chicago Street), but closures will rotate throughout the year. When completed, the two South Shore tracks will run between 10th and 11th Streets, with station services available along 11th Street.

The big closure will be on US 12, along the Porter-LaPorte County Line. The South Shore Crossing is currently closed for the next two weeks to allow the addition of the second track at the crossing. Through traffic beyond Michigan City will be detoured via Indiana 520, US 20 (which itself is under construction along the detour area - more below), and Indiana 212; the inverse applies to those coming from Michigan.

US 20 is under construction for bridge deck replacement and overlay at the Amtrak overpass located just east of Indiana 520. Traffic is down to one lane in each direction, with the outer lanes being constructed, followed by the inner lanes. Work is to be completed this fall.

US 20 will also see lane restrictions at the I-94 underpass just east of the Lake-Porter County Line. One lane will be closed in each direction to allow for painters to work the beams on the I-94 bridge. Traffic on I-94 itself will be shifted inside to overlay the outer lanes, then outside to overlay the inner lanes. Outside of the necessary lane closures to prepare the lane shifts, all lanes will remain open to traffic throughout the duration of this summer project.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

JoePCool14

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on May 12, 2022, 10:45:26 PM
Concrete restoration and bridge deck overlay projects will take place throughout various portions of I-65 and I-80/94 for the next two construction seasons. The areas to look out for most prominently will be the Ridge Road and 35th Avenue overpasses on I-65 (which could result in bottlenecks for traffic exiting to/entering from I-80/94), as well as I-80/94 between Cline Avenue and the Illinois State Line.es. Outside of the necessary lane closures to prepare the lane shifts, all lanes will remain open to traffic throughout the duration of this summer project.

I hope they aren't planning on starting that within the next week. We're supposed to be making a trip down to the Indy area later next week from Chicagoland.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

silverback1065

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 07, 2022, 11:05:03 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on May 07, 2022, 10:57:52 AM

That's going to require taking a lot of houses, but to be honest if I lived in one of those, I'd be happy to have a guaranteed buyer and to get out of that mess.

probably will happen regardless, land in that area is very ripe for development! i saw in the news that noblesville is putting a large mixed use development along the cooridor. the widening is very much needed. INDOT does a great job of seeing issues before they become big traffic problems. good to see 32 on their radar. it may be very expensive, i saw in the news the downtown westfield project has expensive r/w.

nwi_navigator_1181

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on May 12, 2022, 10:45:26 PM
The big closure will be on US 12, along the Porter-LaPorte County Line. The South Shore Crossing is currently closed for the next two weeks to allow the addition of the second track at the crossing. Through traffic beyond Michigan City will be detoured via Indiana 520, US 20 (which itself is under construction along the detour area - more below), and Indiana 212; the inverse applies to those coming from Michigan.

US 20 is under construction for bridge deck replacement and overlay at the Amtrak overpass located just east of Indiana 520. Traffic is down to one lane in each direction, with the outer lanes being constructed, followed by the inner lanes. Work is to be completed this fall.

That changed fast...

INDOT has announced that Indiana 212 will be closed starting on or after May 23 for two box culvert replacements. This project will last through late June.

Since Indiana 212 was originally part of the above mentioned detour for US 12 (which is scheduled to reopen at the end of next week), a new detour for both routes will be put into place. Thru traffic will be detoured further along US 20 to nearby I-94, heading into Michigan to pick up US 12. From there, those heading toward Three Oaks and Niles can continue on US 12 eastbound, while those needing access to areas between Michigan City and New Buffalo (or looking to return to areas near Indiana 212) can double back westbound on US 12. This detour will remain in place for Indiana 212 after US 12 reopens.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

Nacho

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on May 03, 2022, 06:32:27 AM
As somebody who started his career at the old Indiana State Highway Commission (predecessor name to INDOT), the post above this one applied when I was there in the late 1970's and early 1980's - relinquish as many roads as possible.

I get annoyed when the relinquishment results in a less logical routing, such as US 50 through Bedford being moved to follow SR 37 instead of Mitchell Rd. to 16th St.

PurdueBill

Quote from: Nacho on May 20, 2022, 05:38:35 PM
Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on May 03, 2022, 06:32:27 AM

I get annoyed when the relinquishment results in a less logical routing, such as US 50 through Bedford being moved to follow SR 37 instead of Mitchell Rd. to 16th St.

US 52 being routed onto Teal Road and down 4th Street and former 25 to get to the "new" 231 is another nutty one.  Probably less mileage overall on the books than its previous routing on the "bypass" Sagamore Parkway, but it is not a route meant for thru truck traffic or if people are bypassing an incident on 65 following 52.  Why sign such wacky routes?  (25 and 26 also being discontinuous now is another gripe I have moaned about many times before.)

Hobart

Indiana-related question that's not worth it's own thread (hopefully this is appropriate).

I noticed that the toll road has no toll barrier at the Buchanan Street exit. How do they handle it if I enter the tollway at the Gary Road exit, which has toll barriers?

Will I not be charged anything because there's nobody to accept my ticket at the Buchanan Street exit, or will I be charged the full length of the tollway because I don't have a ticket?

I have an I-Pass, but I'm not sure if this allows them to realize I get on and off at Buchanan Street and charge me appropriately.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

ilpt4u

^^^^^^^^^^^The ITR Closed Ticket System starts, EB, in Portage after the Willowcreek Rd exit, well after I-80 joins the Toll Road. West of Lake Station, the ITR is more like ISTHA Toll Roads, with an Open system, so not all exits have toll points, and some exits have it for only one direction

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Hobart on May 22, 2022, 12:27:22 PM
Indiana-related question that's not worth it's own thread (hopefully this is appropriate).

I noticed that the toll road has no toll barrier at the Buchanan Street exit. How do they handle it if I enter the tollway at the Gary Road exit, which has toll barriers?

Will I not be charged anything because there's nobody to accept my ticket at the Buchanan Street exit, or will I be charged the full length of the tollway because I don't have a ticket?

I have an I-Pass, but I'm not sure if this allows them to realize I get on and off at Buchanan Street and charge me appropriately.

There's no toll to enter at Buchanan St (Grant St). There is a toll booth at the Gary Rd (Cline Ave) exit but it's a fixed toll not dependent on where you get on. As noted above, the ticket system is only in effect east of the Portage exit.

dvferyance

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 22, 2022, 12:54:18 PM
Quote from: Hobart on May 22, 2022, 12:27:22 PM

There's no toll to enter at Buchanan St (Grant St). There is a toll booth at the Gary Rd (Cline Ave) exit but it's a fixed toll not dependent on where you get on. As noted above, the ticket system is only in effect east of the Portage exit.
There is also no toll if you exit at I-65 going WB.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 25, 2022, 04:09:37 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 09, 2022, 01:09:45 PM
It's that time of year again when we see some orange barrels on the roads!

Here are some projects that will be underway soon in NW Indiana:

1. Bridge replacement on I-94 east of Johnson Road. Two 11-foot lanes with two-foot shoulders will remain open in both directions. Starts on March 14th.
2. Bridge replacement on US 20/31 at South Michigan Street. One lane each way on the WB bridge while the EB bridge gets replaced. Starts on March 14th and the whole project is expected to be completed by early December.

4. New roundabout at U.S. 6 and S.R. 2 in Westville. Will be replacing a 4-way stop. Two-phase construction schedule in which phase 1 will close the north and west legs of the intersection. The detour for the first phase will be as followed: US 421, US 6, SR 2, SR 49, and vice versa. Phase 2 will close the south and east legs of the intersection. The detour for the second phase will be as followed: US 421, SR 2, US 6, SR 49, and vice versa.

Roundabout construction at U.S. 6 and S.R. 2 in Westville will begin construction on or after May 31st.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on May 24, 2022, 06:41:53 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 25, 2022, 04:09:37 PM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on March 09, 2022, 01:09:45 PM
It's that time of year again when we see some orange barrels on the roads!

Here are some projects that will be underway soon in NW Indiana:

1. Bridge replacement on I-94 east of Johnson Road. Two 11-foot lanes with two-foot shoulders will remain open in both directions. Starts on March 14th.
2. Bridge replacement on US 20/31 at South Michigan Street. One lane each way on the WB bridge while the EB bridge gets replaced. Starts on March 14th and the whole project is expected to be completed by early December.

4. New roundabout at U.S. 6 and S.R. 2 in Westville. Will be replacing a 4-way stop. Two-phase construction schedule in which phase 1 will close the north and west legs of the intersection. The detour for the first phase will be as followed: US 421, US 6, SR 2, SR 49, and vice versa. Phase 2 will close the south and east legs of the intersection. The detour for the second phase will be as followed: US 421, SR 2, US 6, SR 49, and vice versa.

Roundabout construction at U.S. 6 and S.R. 2 in Westville will begin construction on or after May 31st.

The last two times I went through that intersection, a second car tailed the first through the intersection to avoid waiting his turn to go.

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/58iXXShQqJSbSMni7
I of course expect that INDOT would sign US 421 on a supplemental, but give out no info on the overheads for Downtown Indy I wouldn't expect. The I-65 and I-70 interchanges now have control cities at their junctions with I-74/465.  So why not include them here as well?

https://goo.gl/maps/KcwKuBMeiYtL6PdDA
Hey they even here included US 52 east now on the guide with I-865 at of latest.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.