News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

Two minor errors along the way from Québec City to my hometown.

First, a missing up arrow for TCH 1 somewhere east of Crapaud, PE:

TCH 1 EB missing up arrow by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

Then, a grammar error heading to the Confederation Bridge on TCH 16 EB (should be Restrictions relatives):

Restrictions relative(s) by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

roadman65

https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52206243976/in/dateposted-public/

Island Expressway in Chatham County, GA is an East-West running route.  In fact its Historic TOLL US 80, that was decommissioned in the Mid 1980's and I'm sure it was signed then as East & West in its day.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

A street blade that erroneously refers to Chemin de la Dune-du-Sud as Chemin de la Dune-de-Sud.

Chemin de la Dune-de-Sud (sic) 1 by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
—Mr. Thwomp

jakeroot

Quote from: LilianaUwU on July 10, 2022, 08:02:46 PM
A street blade that erroneously refers to Chemin de la Dune-du-Sud as Chemin de la Dune-de-Sud.

How possible is it that the sign was made by someone who doesn't speak French and wouldn't immediately recognise the error? Not sure how many people on the Magdalen Islands don't speak French...

LilianaUwU

Quote from: jakeroot on July 11, 2022, 08:39:30 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on July 10, 2022, 08:02:46 PM

How possible is it that the sign was made by someone who doesn't speak French and wouldn't immediately recognise the error? Not sure how many people on the Magdalen Islands don't speak French...

As those signs are made by a contractor in Québec, the issue I believe happened is not a language barrier, but an accent barrier (as some people in the Magdalen Islands have thick accents), which would've happened if the order was placed by phone.
—Mr. Thwomp

highwaytuna

Forgetting to remove a sign referencing I-895 (Sheridan Expwy), which was downgraded to NY-895 (Sheridan Blvd) a few years ago:

LilianaUwU

Not one, but two capitalization errors involving the letter L in PEI:

ÃŽLes-de-la-Madeleine (sic) by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

Maple PLains (sic) by Liliana Vess, on Flickr
—Mr. Thwomp

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/6sn1BRYQ8togKaGo6
The Atlantic City Expressway does not travel north.

Sheryl Crowe

kirbykart

Quote from: roadman65 on July 19, 2022, 10:50:39 AM
https://goo.gl/maps/6sn1BRYQ8togKaGo6
The Atlantic City Expressway does not travel north.
The "North" is referring to the Garden State Parkway. I would put the ACE shield on a separate post. Basically, this way to ACE (both directions), and GSP northbound  only. Not sure if this is MUTCD-compliant, but it's better than the current situation.

Lukeisroads

GaryA

Another Caltrans special:  https://goo.gl/maps/MU99W5DWQ2XwAEK46

This used to have a large "Scenic Route" blue sign (with the poppy and wording) that went missing in 2019 or so.  In late 2021 or early 2022 the blank space was replaced by a "Freeway Entrance" green sign.  This road is scenic, but is definitely not a freeway (even if it does have a couple of exit ramps further up).

(Near the west end of Niles Canyon Road: small blue "begin", green "FREEWAY ENTRANCE", green "EAST", CA-84 shield.)

kirbykart

Quote from: GaryA on July 20, 2022, 12:11:26 PM

This used to have a large "Scenic Route" blue sign (with the poppy and wording) that went missing in 2019 or so.  In late 2021 or early 2022 the blank space was replaced by a "Freeway Entrance" green sign.  This road is scenic, but is definitely not a freeway (even if it does have a couple of exit ramps further up).

(Near the west end of Niles Canyon Road: small blue "begin", green "FREEWAY ENTRANCE", green "EAST", CA-84 shield.)
What the heck does "begin FREEWAY ENTRANCE" mean??

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: kirbykart on July 20, 2022, 02:36:33 PM
Quote from: GaryA on July 20, 2022, 12:11:26 PM

What the heck does "begin FREEWAY ENTRANCE" mean??

Simple: you can begin to enter the freeway. ;)
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

ClassicHasClass

And eventually the ENTRANCE will end and it will be a FREEWAY! Duh!  :pan:

kirbykart

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on July 20, 2022, 02:53:21 PM
I was really talking more in this context. This road NEVER becomes a freeway! Or at least not in the ~20 miles of it I checked on Google Maps! There is no freeway to enter.

GaryA

Quote from: kirbykart on July 20, 2022, 03:13:50 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on July 20, 2022, 02:53:21 PM
I was really talking more in this context. This road NEVER becomes a freeway! Or at least not in the ~20 miles of it I checked on Google Maps! There is no freeway to enter.
Oh, in about 7.5 miles CA-84 will briefly join I-680.  But I don't think that's what they were referring to.

Scott5114

I believe that "begin" plaque is the type that is meant to be paired with a scenic byway sign. My guess is somehow the scenic byway sign got switched with a freeway entrance sign. Maybe somewhere out there, there's a freeway entrance inexplicably signed as a scenic byway.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WillWeaverRVA

VDOT can't seem to figure out how to spell the name of this road.

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

highwaytuna

Gore sign with old sequential exit number mysteriously reappearing on the Mass Pike after its exits were renumbered to the mile-based system:

Declan127

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.0454461,-73.7641473,3a,18.9y,168.11h,91.46t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sBvpXBg2byWofbX3ceT7RSg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DBvpXBg2byWofbX3ceT7RSg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D166.93211%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?hl=en

1) those numerals are not even close to centered
2) either remove the "to" or arrow, or even both; there's nothing left before the merge with 287
3) Long Island cannot be reached easily from 287 alone. To get to Long Island, I'm assuming the Hutch is the road they want you to take (this sign is technically on a Parkway, after all), and then you'd take the Cross Island to the (NSP/LIE/SSP). Sure, 287 was planned to go to LI, but this is a new sign.
Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

7/8

The left sign here in Waterloo Kitchener, ON is technically wrong. Highway 7 doesn't start until the next interchange, where you can choose to either stay on the Expressway (which switches from Highway 85 south to Highway 7 west) or take the exit to go Highway 7 east.

Declan127

Imma New Yoikah, fuggedaboudit!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.