AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: How do you get the URL of a particular place on Google Street View?  (Read 61372 times)

J Route Z

• Last Login: February 27, 2022, 08:51:03 PM

If I want to pinpoint a certain location on Street view, how do I retrieve that long link? All I get is this, which doesn't help : https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en .

Zeffy

• Revved to Redline

• Last Login: April 26, 2021, 12:13:44 PM

Click the button on the left that looks like a chainlink. Then you can either copy that link in the textbox, or you can hit "Short URL" which will do the same thing except make the URL considerably smaller and easier to type.

Here's an image if you don't know which button I'm talking about...

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• Last Login: March 02, 2024, 12:35:28 PM
    • vid the kid . info

If you have entered a search query, make sure you remove the resulting marker from the map before you generate a link, or many mobile users will see that search result instead of the map view or streetview perspective you meant to share.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Lytton

• The Only Coronado Roadgeek

• Last Login: May 20, 2015, 10:24:35 AM

If I want to pinpoint a certain location on Street view, how do I retrieve that long link? All I get is this, which doesn't help : https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en .

Step 1. Put the pegman anywhere on the spot you want to share.

Step 2. Click on the chain button (the share button)

Step 3. The link will be generated, and use the short link in order to avoid annoying other users.

Step 4. You might not copy with the drop-down. If it persists, outline the entire link and press the keys CTRL + C.

Step 5. Post it along with the thread in order to use street view in a certain spot.

Hope it helps!
Fuck GPS. I rather use my brain and common sense.

theline

• Last Login: February 25, 2024, 12:12:28 AM

Step 6. Click the Preview button before clicking Post, and click the link in the preview window, to make sure you really got what you wanted.

NE2

• fuck

• Last Login: March 11, 2024, 12:16:05 AM

Step 3. The link will be generated, and use the long link so other users know it's a street view image and will take longer to load than a typical map.
Fixed for you.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info

Step 3. The link will be generated, and use the long link so other users know it's a street view image and will take longer to load than a typical map.
Fixed for you.

Also, the query string can be surgically removed from the long URL if necessary.

J Route Z

• Last Login: February 27, 2022, 08:51:03 PM

Thank you all very much. All of that helps!!!

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 04:42:36 AM

If I copy the URL from the bar, I get https://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&tab=wl :sombrero:.

Also, the query string can be surgically removed from the long URL if necessary.

And the "hl=xx" can be removed too. I do that because otherwise Google Maps will always display in Spanish, and this is an (American) English-speaking forum. Doing that will display Google Maps in the language one has set for Google, regardless of the domain.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info

If I copy the URL from the bar, I get https://maps.google.es/maps?hl=es&tab=wl :sombrero:.

That's why you copy the link URL from the little chainlink icon and not the browser's URL bar. 

And the "hl=xx" can be removed too. I do that because otherwise Google Maps will always display in Spanish, and this is an (American) English-speaking forum. Doing that will display Google Maps in the language one has set for Google, regardless of the domain.

I was wondering what that bit was.  I suppose if it's hl=en then it's maybe okay to leave it there, since this is an anglophone forum?

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
Re: How do you get the URL of a particular place on Google Street View?
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 06:47:16 PM »

otherwise Google Maps will always display in Spanish

No te preocupes, vato,,,  :sombrero:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Duke87

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:27 PM »

Something else worth addressing here: if you are using a foreign mirror of Google maps (google.ca, google.co.uk, etc.), your link will result in a redirect to the Google homepage for American viewers. This is easily addressed on our end if the long URL link is used: you just have to modify the link slightly to go to the google.com domain and follow the US format. 

However, if as a foreign user you choose the short URL option, you create considerable problems for us because your short link will redirect to the foreign long link, which will in turn will then quickly redirect to google.com home. When confronted with this the only way for me to get the link to work is to quickly highlight and copy the long link in the second it shows up in my URL bar between redirects, and then paste it back and modify it appropriately. This usually takes me several attempts to pull off successfully and I consider myself quick. People who didn't grow up playing video games will probably have even more trouble with it.

So, please: if you are located in a country other than the US, do not use the short link option!

(I don't know if the same problem is true of US links in other countries - anyone located elsewhere care to confirm?)
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 08:15:09 AM »

In my case, I have opened Google Maps links pointing to .ch, .it, .si, etc mirrors and didn't redirect to google.es homepage. So that problem doesn't exist in Spain, apparently.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

agentsteel53

• invisible hand

• long live button copy!

• Last Login: November 21, 2016, 09:58:39 AM
    • AARoads Shield Gallery
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »

is vato even Spanish slang?  I thought it was just northern Mexico.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 03:57:27 PM »

Nope. I didn't knew it until kphoger used that word.

english si

• Last Login: July 02, 2022, 05:33:16 AM
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2013, 06:10:12 PM »

In my case, I have opened Google Maps links pointing to .ch, .it, .si, etc mirrors and didn't redirect to google.es homepage. So that problem doesn't exist in Spain, apparently.
Yep, all works for me too. even .com. Sounds like either a bug, or a deliberate 'improvement'...

I'd feedback Duke - say that it is racist that links from other countries aren't considered worth seeing and they might actually do something!

kphoger

• My 2 Achilles' heels: sarcasm & snark

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:31:10 PM
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »

is vato even Spanish slang?  I thought it was just northern Mexico.

Nope. I didn't knew it until kphoger used that word.

Yeah, sorry about that.  I seem to recall using the word specifically because it was Mexican, just for kicks.  I actually have no idea what slang terms Castilian Spanish has for "bro", "dude", "buddy", or whatever.  And I didn't want to risk offending you by using "wey".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. Dick
If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Duke87

• Last Login: March 17, 2024, 10:36:18 PM
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »

Yep, all works for me too. even .com. Sounds like either a bug, or a deliberate 'improvement'...

Actually, nevermind, I just figured out the problem: I'm using NoScript and while I have google.com whiteisted I do not have the foreign TLD versions of the site whitelisted. It isn't a Google/US problem, the page was just choking because I had the javascript blocked.

As you were, then...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Laura

• Mrs. MD Roads

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 02:59:33 PM
    • MD Roads
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »

Good news: In the NEW and IMPROVED google maps, the URL automatically updates itself in the URL/search bar as you move and zoom around, making it a gajillion times easier to link to places.

NE2

• fuck

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 07:37:57 PM »

Good news: In the NEW and IMPROVED google maps, the URL automatically updates itself in the URL/search bar as you move and zoom around, making it a gajillion times easier to link to places.
Not happening here (latest Firefox).

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

• she/her or they/them

• vid the kid . info
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »

Maybe it makes a difference whether you're using the JavaScript version or the Flash version of Street View…

NE2

• fuck

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 08:27:31 PM »

Maybe I wasn't using Street View at all?

NE2

• fuck

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 12:39:15 AM »

Oh wait, there's a "new Google Maps" on the left. My mind simply ignored that as an ad.

empirestate

• Last Login: November 22, 2022, 03:56:23 PM
    • Empire State Roads
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 08:47:05 AM »

This question doesn't seem to be one of them, but many of the shortcomings of StreetView in the new version of Google Maps seem to have been recently addressed in a major update. Specifically, you can now drag Pegman around to the blue highlights from within the StreetView mode...but yeah, I still don't see where you can grab the URL easily, particularly the handy short URL.

(My Places also seems to have returned, which I'm happy about.)

• Last Login: March 18, 2024, 09:41:17 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2013, 08:52:02 AM »

Street view: http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/streetview?size=200x200&location=40.720032,-73.988354&heading=235&sensor=false

"Heading" refers to the direction you are facing.

Maybe add Google Street View as a button where bold, italics, and the other things are?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.