News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How do you get the URL of a particular place on Google Street View?

Started by J Route Z, July 04, 2013, 03:10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: 1 on December 28, 2013, 08:52:02 AM
Maybe add Google Street View as a button where bold, italics, and the other things are?

That would require modification of the forum software.  The mods don't seem particularly interested in making custom enhancements to the software just for this forum, so it would have to be a contribution to the SMF project itself.

This is entirely possible, but would require someone with experience in PHP (like me) and working in open-source projects (not so much me) and who has a good bit of free time (not me).

Also, better than simply generating a url to a static image, theoretically a modification to the software can make it possible and easy to embed pannable, zoomable Google maps and Street View scenes, hopefully without opening the can of worms that comes with allowing arbitrary iframes.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

billtm

Does anyone know how to get the URL of a street view image using the Google maps app? :hmmm:

Duke87

I don't think you can since the app operates independently of your browser and doesn't ever display any URLs. But you can try using the browser on your phone to navigate to Google Maps instead.

On that note, it's very easy to link to Street View or anything in the "New" Google Maps: just copy the URL out of the address bar. Notice how it changes every time you move the view?
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vtk

Quote from: Duke87 on September 03, 2014, 12:41:22 AM
I don't think you can since the app operates independently of your browser and doesn't ever display any URLs.

This doesn't prevent the app developers from adding a button for sharing a link to the current view.  Google Earth for desktop Windows has a feature like that.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

RM42

It's funny reading this ancient thread in 2023 when you just need to copy from the URL bar nowadays!

pderocco

Quote from: RM42 on May 12, 2023, 06:01:41 PM
It's funny reading this ancient thread in 2023 when you just need to copy from the URL bar nowadays!

Or better yet, use Share or Embed, and get a link that actually fits in an email without wrapping.

CNGL-Leudimin

The change happened shortly after this thread was created. I personally copy the long URL because most of the time it ends up wrapping some other text. (Belvidere, Illinois)
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.