News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Massachusetts

Started by hotdogPi, October 12, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

MassDOT has released a draft of its 2019-2023 State TIP for public comment, the blog entry with link to the draft:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/draft-2019-2023-state-transportation-improvement-program/

Limiting my discussion to sign replacement contracts, here's a list of the projects covered by the Draft STIP:
2019-I-95/128 from Reading to Lynnfield (last replaced in 2002); US 1 from Chelsea to Danvers; MA 28 from Bourne to Falmouth (2001).
2020-I-391 Chicopee to Holyoke (2002); Sections of I-195 and I-495 from Dartmouth to Raynham; MA 146 Uxbridge to Worcester (2007).
2021-Part of US 3 from Burlington to Tyngsborough (2002).
2022-Remaining US 3 Burlington to Tyngsborough (2002); I-295 from Attleborough to N. Attleborough (2008); MA 25 from Wareham to Bourne (2008).
2023-I-84 from Holland to Sturbridge (2005); I-190 from Worcester to Leominster; I-95/128 for the US 1 Lynnfield interchange; MA 128 from Peabody to Gloucester (2007).

There were no listings (not a surprise) for any contract to renumber exits to mileage based numbers.

roadman

US 3 Burlington to Tyngsborough is proposed to be let in 2021 as a single contract.  As the project is expected to take at least two years to complete, it's shown as two separate contracts in the STIP for Federal funding purposes (the practice is known as AC or Advanced Construction).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SectorZ

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 16, 2018, 09:47:14 AM
Quote from: SectorZ on May 15, 2018, 10:01:23 PMExit 8 still shows as "12 south", so was hoping it was just 12 since you can easily and legally go north from there as well.
While technically true & correct; the likely reason why Exit 8 was signed for 12 South (even though one can use such for 12 North) and Exit 7 was signed for 12 North (along with I-90, there's a ramp for 12 North prior to where the toll booths once stood) was to avoid dumping excess traffic onto southbound Oxford St.

Granted, when the toll booths existed, many who were familiar with area were already using Exit 8 for 12 northbound as a means of avoiding the toll booth-related backups that existed then.

Or on the flip side, get off at exit 8 and briefly go onto 12 south and take the I-90/Pike entrance from there to avoid exit 7 traffic. A few redundancies built into that area for sure.

jp the roadgeek

What I find interesting is that MassDOT is inconsistent in choosing its westbound control cities.  In the signage from I-290/I-395, it's Springfield.  One exit west at I-84, it's Albany, despite Springfield being in between Sturbridge and Albany.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman

Bids on I-290 Auburn to Shrewsbury were opened last Tuesday (5/22).  Liddell Brothers is the apparent low bidder.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

Appears the final touches are being made on I-95/MA 128 in the Add-A-Lane Project work zone south of Highland Avenue. Looks like the final pavement layer is being put down, and new reference (aka mile) markers are being put up:

Are mile markers going to be put up along the already completed sections of the Add-A-Lane project between Randolph and Dedham soon?

Workers were reconstructing the MA 9 West off-ramp southbound this weekend. The temporary lane split at the exit is being removed:

More photos from this weekend's trip on the I-95 in Mass. Photo Gallery: http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html#addalane

Pete from Boston

What's the best way to get in touch with someone at MassDOT these days? 

My luck with contact forms to state agencies isn't great, and the district offices don't post emails.  Is calling the district office the way to go? 

I mostly keep my mouth shut but there's a pavement issue here going unaddressed for a pretty long time.

roadman

Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 22, 2018, 08:17:07 AM
What’s the best way to get in touch with someone at MassDOT these days? 

My luck with contact forms to state agencies isn’t great, and the district offices don’t post emails.  Is calling the district office the way to go? 

I mostly keep my mouth shut but there’s a pavement issue here going unaddressed for a pretty long time.

MassDOT has a general public e-mail system called Feedback, which can be accessed at:

https://www.mass.gov/forms/contact-massdot

When you send a query in, it is forwarded to the applicable District office, or Boston HQ if it is a more "global" issue.  The site also has links to HQ and District phone numbers.

bob7374

Got more photos of I-95/MA 128 Add-A-Lane Project last Thursday. Biggest news is traffic has been shifted onto the new lane northbound prior to Kendrick Street:

Still 3 lanes of traffic though since they've closed the left lane for competing shoulder and median barrier work.
More photos on my I-95 in Mass. Photo Gallery:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/i95photos.html#addalane

Pete from Boston

Quote from: roadman on June 22, 2018, 10:34:54 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on June 22, 2018, 08:17:07 AM
What’s the best way to get in touch with someone at MassDOT these days? 

My luck with contact forms to state agencies isn’t great, and the district offices don’t post emails.  Is calling the district office the way to go? 

I mostly keep my mouth shut but there’s a pavement issue here going unaddressed for a pretty long time.

MassDOT has a general public e-mail system called Feedback, which can be accessed at:

https://www.mass.gov/forms/contact-massdot

When you send a query in, it is forwarded to the applicable District office, or Boston HQ if it is a more "global" issue.  The site also has links to HQ and District phone numbers.

Well, incredibly, after more than a year of no response from anybody on the issue, they were out there repairing it Monday morning before I even got a chance to call.  I guess I'm just a misunderstanding the response timeline.

Now if it were only possible to get the DCR to respond like that.

hotdogPi

On a trip to/from Marblehead, I saw SIX flashing green lights. Four were on MA 114, at least two of which were definitely in Salem. The other two were also definitely in Salem, and they were on Boston St., including a very old signal on the intersection of Boston St. and Rawlins St. (Unfortunately, I couldn't get a photo in time.)

Why are there so many flashing greens in this area, and nowhere else that I know of in Massachusetts?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on July 01, 2018, 08:58:28 PM
On a trip to/from Marblehead, I saw SIX flashing green lights. Four were on MA 114, at least two of which were definitely in Salem. The other two were also definitely in Salem, and they were on Boston St., including a very old signal on the intersection of Boston St. and Rawlins St. (Unfortunately, I couldn't get a photo in time.)

Why are there so many flashing greens in this area, and nowhere else that I know of in Massachusetts?
Those are basically pedestrian crossing signals that only change when the button is pushed.  Some of them, even though the signalheads are newer (1980s and later) still use the old-school (at least for eastern MA) steady red-yellow for pedestrian crossing en lieu of a WALK signal.

Here's the GSV for the signal at Boston & Rawlins Sts.  It's indeed the fore-mentioned steady red-yellow for pedestrian crossing.  Note: those signalheads aren't original.  The original ones were 8" heads painted in all-yellow... a once long-time standard for Salem.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

5foot14

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 02, 2018, 09:34:46 AM
Quote from: 1 on July 01, 2018, 08:58:28 PM

Those are basically pedestrian crossing signals that only change when the button is pushed.  Some of them, even though the signalheads are newer (1980s and later) still use the old-school (at least for eastern MA) steady red-yellow for pedestrian crossing en lieu of a WALK signal.

Here's the GSV for the signal at Boston & Rawlins Sts.  It's indeed the fore-mentioned steady red-yellow for pedestrian crossing.  Note: those signalheads aren't original.  The original ones were 8" heads painted in all-yellow... a once long-time standard for Salem.

Having grown up in Peabody I know just what your talking about. The 2 in Peabody you saw are on Margin st at Roycroft Rd and Driscoll St. Theres another one in Peabody on Lynn St at St Anne's St. There used to be more of them in Salem but they are slowly being phased out. There were 2 on Bridge Street/1A and 3 more on North St/114. Most of those were replaced as part of the Bridge Street Bypass project. There's also one in Beverly on Cabot St/MA22 at May St/Bartlett St. It even has some original 8" GE signals still standing (the only GEs left in the area I know of since the ones in Salem were removed). Though with all the downtown renewal projects they've been doing in Beverly, I fear these ones may be on the chopping block in the near future.

GE Signals in Beverly
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.544567,-70.8810194,3a,44.4y,335.08h,89.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8a2j6WiPC3ErjnDk1QV7eQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Peabody never really used a lot of the flashing green pedestrian signals, they mostly used flashing yellow with walk signals. The only glaring issue I have with either style is that for a few seconds upon activation, there is a conflicting all yellow phase. At one of these intersections, Peabody swapped out the middle yellow lenses on the side street for red ones. All other ones I know of still have a middle yellow light on the side streets.

Triple red light, Central st at Warren st, Peabody
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5299507,-70.9272463,3a,37.5y,153.19h,91.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX9LGuuuwWgTMidx-UggSDQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

PHLBOS

Quote from: 5foot14 on July 02, 2018, 02:07:37 PMPeabody never really used a lot of the flashing green pedestrian signals, they mostly used flashing yellow with walk signals. The only glaring issue I have with either style is that for a few seconds upon activation, there is a conflicting all yellow phase. At one of these intersections, Peabody swapped out the middle yellow lenses on the side street for red ones. All other ones I know of still have a middle yellow light on the side streets.

Triple red light, Central st at Warren st, Peabody
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.5299507,-70.9272463,3a,37.5y,153.19h,91.66t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sX9LGuuuwWgTMidx-UggSDQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
I wonder when those middle lenses were changed.  That intersection & signals are just a block away from Tremont St.; a street that is commonly used as an unofficial MA 114 detour/bypass.  I still remember the two original 12-12-8 signalhead assemblies along the west side of Central St.

Peabody isn't the only place where the all yellow phase for pedestrian signals is done.  Salem has a bunch and even Marblehead still has one or two still around.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

5foot14

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 02, 2018, 02:20:11 PM
I wonder when those middle lenses were changed.  That intersection & signals are just a block away from Tremont St.; a street that is commonly used as an unofficial MA 114 detour/bypass.  I still remember the two original 12-12-8 signalhead assemblies along the west side of Central St.

Peabody isn't the only place where the all yellow phase for pedestrian signals is done.  Salem has a bunch and even Marblehead still has one or two still around.

Its been several years, maybe 5-6 years ago I think. Curious they haven't done it elsewhere, such as the Tremont St/Northend St intersection (which is right near my parents house). That still has yellow on the side street.

Also, I wonder how many people, when coming down Central Street, miss the left to continue on 114 East. Signage for the turn is poor, only one advance sign assembly mounted to a telephone pole, and one paddle sign on the far left corner at the intersection. I've seen lots of people make last minute lane changes there.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 5foot14 on July 02, 2018, 02:42:22 PMAlso, I wonder how many people, when coming down Central Street, miss the left to continue on 114 East. Signage for the turn is poor, only one advance sign assembly mounted to a telephone pole, and one paddle sign on the far left corner at the intersection. I've seen lots of people make last minute lane changes there.
Central St. begins at that intersection; the stretch that's 114 is actually Andover St.

As far as the signage is concerned, such has been like that for decades, although previous generations of that paddle (D6) sign used to include SALEM & MARBLEHEAD on the panel and the prior generation traffic signals (that dated back to 1973) used to have the left-arrow (114 East) phase after the straight/right-turn only phase (which created backups along Andover St. through the wazoo).  The current signal set-up (erected some 15(?) years ago) does the left-arrow phase first along with the straight/right-turn phase for a short period.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

5foot14

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 02, 2018, 03:05:51 PM
Central St. begins at that intersection; the stretch that's 114 is actually Andover St.
Ahh yeah, thats right... forgot about that

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 02, 2018, 03:05:51 PM
As far as the signage is concerned, such has been like that for decades, although previous generations of that paddle (D6) sign used to include SALEM & MARBLEHEAD on the panel and the prior generation traffic signals (that dated back to 1973) used to have the left-arrow (114 East) phase after the straight/right-turn only phase (which created backups along Andover St. through the wazoo).  The current signal set-up (erected some 15(?) years ago) does the left-arrow phase first along with the straight/right-turn phase for a short period.

The bridge over the old train tracks is dated 1997 so I think it was around that time (all part of the same project if I recall). I vaguely remember the previous traffic lights that were there and the horrendous traffic. Was Andover St always 4 lanes approaching that intersection? I can't remember and for some reason I feel like the bridge was widened to 4 lanes during that project.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 5foot14 on July 02, 2018, 03:36:08 PMThe bridge over the old train tracks is dated 1997 so I think it was around that time (all part of the same project if I recall). I vaguely remember the previous traffic lights that were there and the horrendous traffic. Was Andover St always 4 lanes approaching that intersection? I can't remember and for some reason I feel like the bridge was widened to 4 lanes during that project.
Prior to 1997, that bridge was only three lanes and had a 1968 casting date. 

Prior to '68, it may have only been two lanes (guess on my part). 

Prior to 1973, the traffic lights there I believe were one flashing lights that were pedestrian crossing signals (steady red-yellow for pedestrian crossing-mode).  Back then, the now-grey building to the left of the D6 sign used to be painted red & a restaurant.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

So on the Cape i notice the new BGSs (look great) but MASSDOT left in the old 80's-era US 6 shields.

bob7374

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 02, 2018, 10:36:18 PM
So on the Cape i notice the new BGSs (look great) but MASSDOT left in the old 80's-era US 6 shields.
They've installed a few new ones towards the eastern end of the project:

The rest will have to wait until the project resumes after Labor Day.

AMLNet49

I don't get why MassDOT, which has been doing the oversized reassurance shields for years now, hasn't come up with a matching set of oversized banners. The banners on the side like that look like crap

PHLBOS

Quote from: AMLNet49 on July 03, 2018, 11:05:46 AM
I don't get why MassDOT, which has been doing the oversized reassurance shields for years now, hasn't come up with a matching set of oversized banners. The banners on the side like that look like crap
MassDOT isn't the only agency that's placed banners to the side (rather than centered).
Here's an example along NJ 24.  Even more odd is that the route shield isn't oversized with respect to the direction cardinal banner.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

RobbieL2415

I selfishly want them to keep the old shields. I find them nostalgia. Wish they could've kept the old BGSs too. I have a thing for rustic signage.

PHLBOS

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on July 03, 2018, 04:08:25 PMWish they could've kept the old BGSs too. I have a thing for rustic signage.
:confused:  If you're referring to the ones along US 6/Mid-Cape Highway, those were from the 1990s.  Hardly considered rustic IMHO.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 03, 2018, 12:04:51 PM
Quote from: AMLNet49 on July 03, 2018, 11:05:46 AM
MassDOT isn't the only agency that's placed banners to the side (rather than centered).
Here's an example along NJ 24.  Even more odd is that the route shield isn't oversized with respect to the direction cardinal banner.

It's just laziness. They probably have a pile of 12"x24" banners laying around ready to use, and because that size won't reach both posts, they just mount it to one. They probably don't want to have to fabricate any 18"x36" banners, or perhaps even larger depending on what size that shield is. (Looks 36" but it might be a custom, non-standard size yet larger, I can't tell from the picture.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.