News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Has Anyone Ever Clinched I-40?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, September 19, 2018, 05:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adt1982

I need to look to see exactly where I got to, but I've ridden on all of I-70 from the Maryland beginning to somewhere west of Denver.  I have driven all of it from the Maryland beginning to Topeka, KS.

Captain Jack

I've got I-40 from Kingman, AZ to Wilmington, NC. Just need to get west of Kingman.

wriddle082

As much as I-40 has been a part of my life, I only have it from I-49 in Arkansas to somewhere SE of Benson, NC, then a couple of gaps towards Wilmington.

I only have I-70 in the following sections:
* from Frisco, CO to the east side of Aurora, CO
* from Topeka, KS to East St. Louis, IL
* from the Indianapolis Airport to the I-465 interchange on the east side
* from the western I-270 interchange in Columbus, OH to Washington, PA
* from Hancock, MD to the MD 32 exit

I think I have all of I-10 from Beltway 8 east of Houston to the eastern end at Jacksonville.

And I have all of I-20 from Delta, LA to the eastern end at Florence, SC.

I barely have any of I-80 or I-90 to mention, but I do have nearly all of the Mass Pike (I lack it from I-95/MA 128 to I-93).

The only E-W interstates I have fully clinched are 4, 12, 16, 24, 26, and 68.  I lack a couple of sections of 64 in VA from having it fully clinched.  Otherwise I have 59, 77, and 85 fully clinched, and lack the northern couple of miles of 65 from having all of it.

bassoon1986

Quote from: wriddle082 on November 15, 2018, 03:08:52 AM
As much as I-40 has been a part of my life, I only have it from I-49 in Arkansas to somewhere SE of Benson, NC, then a couple of gaps towards Wilmington.

I only have I-70 in the following sections:
* from Frisco, CO to the east side of Aurora, CO
* from Topeka, KS to East St. Louis, IL
* from the Indianapolis Airport to the I-465 interchange on the east side
* from the western I-270 interchange in Columbus, OH to Washington, PA
* from Hancock, MD to the MD 32 exit

I think I have all of I-10 from Beltway 8 east of Houston to the eastern end at Jacksonville.

I barely have any of I-80 or I-90 to mention, but I do have nearly all of the Mass Pike (I lack it from I-95/MA 128 to I-93).

The only E-W interstates I have fully clinched are 4, 12, 16, 24, 26, and 68.  I lack a couple of sections of 64 in VA from having it fully clinched.  Otherwise I have 59, 77, and 85 fully clinched, and lack the northern couple of miles of 65 from having all of it.

Curious...why just Delta, LA on I-20? We're you in Vicksburg and just crossed the MS River? Or did you get off to take US 80?

iPhone

akotchi

I did I-40 from Wilmington, NC to Little Rock, AR (I-30) all in one trip back in the mid-1990s.  Added two segments in Arizona since then.

Closest full major 2di clinch is I-95 -- just need the last 100 miles in northern Maine.  (Clinched the rerouted PA and NJ portions when the ramps opened . . .)
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

froggie

Quote from: bassoon1986 on November 15, 2018, 08:20:11 AM

Curious...why just Delta, LA on I-20? We're you in Vicksburg and just crossed the MS River? Or did you get off to take US 80?

If that's the trip I'm thinking of, I was with him on that.  It was a cross-the-river and turn around, in part to cross the bridge and in part for him to get Madison Parish (county clinching).  I was living in Picayune, MS at the time and he was staying with me for several weeks while assisting with Hurricane Katrina recovery.

wriddle082

Quote from: froggie on November 15, 2018, 10:50:31 AM
Quote from: bassoon1986 on November 15, 2018, 08:20:11 AM

If that's the trip I'm thinking of, I was with him on that.  It was a cross-the-river and turn around, in part to cross the bridge and in part for him to get Madison Parish (county clinching).  I was living in Picayune, MS at the time and he was staying with me for several weeks while assisting with Hurricane Katrina recovery.

I was in Vicksburg and just crossed over the river, turned around, and went back.  This was probably way back in the late 90's.

Froggie no it wasn't our trip in 2005.  We didn't quite make it to Vicksburg that day but I think we got close.

froggie

Did we cross at Natchez instead?  I distinctly recall us going over the river at one point.

wriddle082

Quote from: froggie on November 15, 2018, 04:54:27 PM
Did we cross at Natchez instead?  I distinctly recall us going over the river at one point.

Yes it was Natchez.  Also drove the first 3-4 miles of the Natchez Trace Parkway that day.

Mileage Mike

Got stationed in 29 Palms, CA back in my days in the Marine Corps so I drove I-40 from Raleigh to Barstow back in 2007. Have driven (and still sometimes drive) the stretch from Raleigh to Wilmington several times.

It was such a boring drive as far as scenery and sites go that I took I-10/20/85 when I moved back to NC in 2009.

Mapmikey

Having driven Barstow to Little Rock over the last three days, I have now clinched I-40 nationally.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 27, 2019, 09:09:59 PM
Having driven Barstow to Little Rock over the last three days, I have now clinched I-40 nationally.

Congratulations!

As for myself, I have not clinched I-40, but I want to clinch that route as well as I-70. As things stand, I have 51% of 40 and 60% of 70.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

sparker

I-40 is one of the more unusual cross-country Interstates inasmuch as in both directions the major traffic flow exits that route rather than remain on its alignment.  This happens at least twice eastbound:  at OKC, where much of the EB traffic segues onto I-44 toward St. Louis and other upper Midwest points, and at I-81, where much if not most of the traffic, particularly of the commercial variety, simply shifts to I-81, which continues the trajectory of EB I-40 at that point.  Westbound, much traffic (a lot of it coming from SB I-81) simply shifts to SB I-75 SW of Knoxville en route to Chattanooga (and likely I-59).  Since that route parallels the old commercial "shortcut" that was US 11, this phenomenon isn't particularly surprising.  But the greatest shift of WB traffic flow is in the Little Rock (AR) area, with a huge portion of the overall traffic (and much of that of the commercial variety) shifting to I-30, either directly or via I-440 around the south side of town.   

The chances are that unless one is making a deliberate cross-country trek on I-40 with the object being a route clinch, exiting the route at one of these points is a likely occurrence.  Personally, I have yet to traverse that portion through Pisgah Gorge between I-81 and US 74 as well as anything east of Asheville (except for the I-85 multiplex); just never had a destination or point of interest along the route.

capt.ron

Quote from: sparker on January 29, 2019, 03:42:20 AM
I-40 is one of the more unusual cross-country Interstates inasmuch as in both directions the major traffic flow exits that route rather than remain on its alignment.  This happens at least twice eastbound:  at OKC, where much of the EB traffic segues onto I-44 toward St. Louis and other upper Midwest points, and at I-81, where much if not most of the traffic, particularly of the commercial variety, simply shifts to I-81, which continues the trajectory of EB I-40 at that point.  Westbound, much traffic (a lot of it coming from SB I-81) simply shifts to SB I-75 SW of Knoxville en route to Chattanooga (and likely I-59).  Since that route parallels the old commercial "shortcut" that was US 11, this phenomenon isn't particularly surprising.  But the greatest shift of WB traffic flow is in the Little Rock (AR) area, with a huge portion of the overall traffic (and much of that of the commercial variety) shifting to I-30, either directly or via I-440 around the south side of town.   

The chances are that unless one is making a deliberate cross-country trek on I-40 with the object being a route clinch, exiting the route at one of these points is a likely occurrence.  Personally, I have yet to traverse that portion through Pisgah Gorge between I-81 and US 74 as well as anything east of Asheville (except for the I-85 multiplex); just never had a destination or point of interest along the route.
There is a LOT of truck traffic on I-440, westbound just east of LR. Truckers are wise to use that instead of I-30 because: 65 mph limit vs 60, less vehicles in general (unless they're headed to the airport), road is less curvy vs I-30.

froggie

^^ This piqued my curiosity, so I looked at a few of the major traffic splits along I-40 using 2017 HPMS data.

At I-15 in Barstow, about 30% (just under 20K AADT) of traffic splits onto I-40...the remainder stays on (or comes from) I-15 towards Las Vegas.

At the western I-55 junction in West Memphis, AR, there is approximately 29,000 AADT in I-40 "through traffic" versus ~26,000 in I-55 "through traffic".

At the western I-40/I-840 junction west of Nashville, TN, just over 1/4 (just under 13K AADT) of traffic to/from the west splits onto I-840.

At the eastern I-40/I-840 junction near Lebanon, TN, about 1/4 (~18.5K AADT) of traffic to/from the east splits onto I-840.

At the western I-40/I-75 junction near Lenoir City, TN, there is just over 42,000 AADT in I-40 "through traffic" versus just under 57,000 AADT in I-75 "through traffic".  This meshes well with what sparker posted above.

At the I-40/I-81 junction, there is just under 28,000 AADT in I-40 "through traffic" versus around 39,000 AADT in traffic coming to/from the Knoxville area that "stays" on I-81.  This also meshes with sparker's post.

At the western I-40/I-85 junction near Greensboro, NC, there is approximately 83,000 AADT in I-40 "through traffic (although some of this also turns north onto I-840) versus ~45,000 AADT in I-85 "through traffic".  However, truck traffic is close to an even split between the two routes.

At the eastern I-40/I-85 junction west of Durham, NC, there is approximately 69,000 AADT in I-40 "through traffic" versus ~51,000 AADT in I-85 "through traffic".  However, this is also a location where truck traffic is closer to an even split.

I was unable to determine the other major split locations (including OKC and Little Rock) either because of more complex interchanges that included other routes or because they are located in metropolitan areas where local traffic "muddies the waters" and makes determining the volume of through traffic more difficult based just on available AADT data.

sparker

^^^^^^^^
Having both lived out in the Apple Valley desert and utilized I-15 countless times, an overall 70/30 traffic split in Barstow seems about right for overall AADT, particularly given Vegas as a weekend recreational destination from greater L.A.  But I'll wager the commercial split is more like 60/40 or even 55/45, since I-40 remains the major trucking conduit east from L.A. distribution facilities.  But it's still likely that a technical majority of that traffic still heads up I-15, since LV is itself a regional commercial distribution center -- and there's still L.A. traffic headed for I-70, the SLC area, or even eastward I-80. 

Sykotyk

I've clinched all of i-40 except for some stretches East of i-95.

Ive clinched all of 10, 20, 30, 70 and 90. Still need a bit of 80 in the bay area and San Francisco in particular.

ctkatz

I have currently everything between memphis and flagstaff plus the section between 640 in knoxville to I 26 in asheville (not counting overlaps with I 75 in knox and I 65 in nash). I'm planning on getting everything west of flagstaff this year. I don't foresee anything that would get me all of tennessee and north carolina in the future.

gotta say though that I 40 in western north carolina reminds me a lot of I 80 on the california/nevada border.

wriddle082

Quote from: froggie on January 31, 2019, 06:07:56 PM
^^ This piqued my curiosity, so I looked at a few of the major traffic splits along I-40 using 2017 HPMS data.

At I-15 in Barstow, about 30% (just under 20K AADT) of traffic splits onto I-40...the remainder stays on (or comes from) I-15 towards Las Vegas.

At the western I-55 junction in West Memphis, AR, there is approximately 29,000 AADT in I-40 "through traffic" versus ~26,000 in I-55 "through traffic".

At the western I-40/I-840 junction west of Nashville, TN, just over 1/4 (just under 13K AADT) of traffic to/from the west splits onto I-840.

At the eastern I-40/I-840 junction near Lebanon, TN, about 1/4 (~18.5K AADT) of traffic to/from the east splits onto I-840.

At the western I-40/I-75 junction near Lenoir City, TN, there is just over 42,000 AADT in I-40 "through traffic" versus just under 57,000 AADT in I-75 "through traffic".  This meshes well with what sparker posted above.

At the I-40/I-81 junction, there is just under 28,000 AADT in I-40 "through traffic" versus around 39,000 AADT in traffic coming to/from the Knoxville area that "stays" on I-81.  This also meshes with sparker's post.

At the western I-40/I-85 junction near Greensboro, NC, there is approximately 83,000 AADT in I-40 "through traffic (although some of this also turns north onto I-840) versus ~45,000 AADT in I-85 "through traffic".  However, truck traffic is close to an even split between the two routes.

At the eastern I-40/I-85 junction west of Durham, NC, there is approximately 69,000 AADT in I-40 "through traffic" versus ~51,000 AADT in I-85 "through traffic".  However, this is also a location where truck traffic is closer to an even split.

I was unable to determine the other major split locations (including OKC and Little Rock) either because of more complex interchanges that included other routes or because they are located in metropolitan areas where local traffic "muddies the waters" and makes determining the volume of through traffic more difficult based just on available AADT data.

Did you happen to get Nashville at the western I-40 and I-65 junction, at the NW corner of the downtown loop?  I seriously don't think the NW quadrant of Briley Pkwy messes this up, and it's a simple directional T interchange.  Plus this is a route that I-69 will supposedly provide relief to once it's finished b/w Memphis and Indianapolis.

froggie

^ I didn't do the inside-Nashville junctions because being right in the core of a large urbanized area would skew the results, plus the vast majority of traffic in such cities/locations is local traffic and not through traffic.

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on October 29, 2018, 07:26:32 PM
I have everything from Wilmington to Sallisaw, Ok., and then some other portions in Oklahoma east of OKC. Also most of it between Gallup and Flagstaff (missing the portion that runs by Petrified Forest) and from Williams (I think) to US 93.

To elaborate, my first experience with I-40 was on a family trip to the Outer Banks in the late 1960s. The route was incomplete through North Carolina. The short portion east of US 276 wasn't finished on our first trip; I also think the portion going down the mountain east of Asheville wasn't done either. And, I-40 unceremoniously ended at I-85 in Greensboro. We came back along I-40; as we went to the Outer Banks via I-81 and US 460 so we could visit Appamattox and Williamsburg along the way. We ended up taking VA 168 into North Carolina. On subsequent trips, we used I-40 going east but often varied the route somewhat -- cutting across (I think) NC 98 to reach US 64.

Was the I-40 extension to Raleigh and Wilmington always planned, or was it a later addition to the system? A lot of the old maps of that era did not show a proposed I-40 splitting off what is now the I-85 concurrency. They just showed I-40 ending at I-85.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

I have the concurrency with I-85. That's it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on February 11, 2019, 09:25:11 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 29, 2018, 07:26:32 PM
I have everything from Wilmington to Sallisaw, Ok., and then some other portions in Oklahoma east of OKC. Also most of it between Gallup and Flagstaff (missing the portion that runs by Petrified Forest) and from Williams (I think) to US 93.

To elaborate, my first experience with I-40 was on a family trip to the Outer Banks in the late 1960s. The route was incomplete through North Carolina. The short portion east of US 276 wasn't finished on our first trip; I also think the portion going down the mountain east of Asheville wasn't done either. And, I-40 unceremoniously ended at I-85 in Greensboro. We came back along I-40; as we went to the Outer Banks via I-81 and US 460 so we could visit Appamattox and Williamsburg along the way. We ended up taking VA 168 into North Carolina. On subsequent trips, we used I-40 going east but often varied the route somewhat -- cutting across (I think) NC 98 to reach US 64.

Was the I-40 extension to Raleigh and Wilmington always planned, or was it a later addition to the system? A lot of the old maps of that era did not show a proposed I-40 splitting off what is now the I-85 concurrency. They just showed I-40 ending at I-85.

The extension to I-95 was in NCDOT's 1968 interstate mileage request.

NCDOT approved extending I-40's corridor to Wilmington in 1978.

See http://web.archive.org/web/20081025145719/http://www.ncdot.org/public/50thanniv/ncinterstates/download/factsI40.pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.